Driving In UAE With An International Driving Permit

Topic locked
Driving in UAE with an International Driving Permit Jul 30, 2007
ok want to get this confirmed once and for all.
seems like you can drive any (rental,private) car with Intl driving permit as long as your on a tourist/visit visa

from Dubai police website https://www.dubaipolice.gov.ae/dp/engli ... nlayid=196

Holders of International driving licenses
It is authorized to the holders of International driving licenses to drive vehicles not owned by them or drive a rented car provided, the international driving license is valid.

from Abu Dhabi police website http://www.adpolice.gov.ae/en/?T=2&ID=224

Q: Can a visitor drive any vehicle pertaining to his parents, friends, or is he required to rent a vehicle?

A: A visitor can drive any vehicle pertaining to his relatives and also a rental vehicle provided that he incurs an international driving license.

Q: Can a visitor drive vehicles within the U.A.E with the local license issued from his own country?

A: A visitor other than the Gulf Cooperation Council citizens cannot drive vehicles within the U.A.E unless he possesses a valid international driving license issued by the country from which the driving license he possesses has been issued.

so can a person with an international driving permit from a country (any country for example Kenya, Sri Lanka, Mexico, Afghanistan etc) drive (ANY CAR, not just RENTAL) in Dubai, abu dhabi and other emirates as long as they got home country license and an international driving permit issued by the same country?

cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 30, 2007
I'd say the answer is no, otherwise everyone from every country would just get an international driving licence and no-one would ever have to bother taking the test again here.

I guess it depends whether the International Driving licence in the country where it's issued, states that it can be used in the UAE and that the same country is on the UAE list.

For rental cars I guess it's ok depending on the above, but driving other peoples cars, you wouldn't be insured, so I guess not.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jul 30, 2007
oh forgot to add that this is applicable only to those on a tourist/visit visa
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 30, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:oh forgot to add that this is applicable only to those on a tourist/visit visa

that is correct
KeithL
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 30, 2007
When relatives came to visit I asked insurance company if they could drive my car with International Driving Permit (look at the cover, it's not a licence). They said not allowed, police likely to impound car if caught.

IDP good for driving rental car if on tourist/visit visa. If on resident visa, no good, you need UAE licence - see Driving in Dubai for more confusion :).

Abu Dhabi police website information may be applicable to Abu Dhabi, not Dubai. I think in Dubai the RTA is the authority when it comes to road rules, the police enforce them rather than make them.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jul 30, 2007
both the abu dhabi and dubai links i have posted says that if your a visitor and have an international driving permit and original drivers license you can drive friend/relatives and rental car.
maybe the insurance folks dont know this or maybe some insurance companies dont want ppl without a UAE license driving cars insured by them :)
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 03, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:maybe the insurance folks dont know this

They're the ones you'll be arguing with if your visitor bends your car.

Government websites aren't always accurate or up to date. That said, dubai.ae is not too bad - they might have something.

Good luck, and see you at the pound :wink: ...
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 03, 2007
cheap_Deal wrote:both the abu dhabi and dubai links i have posted says that if your a visitor and have an international driving permit and original drivers license you can drive friend/relatives and rental car.
maybe the insurance folks dont know this or maybe some insurance companies dont want ppl without a UAE license driving cars insured by them :)

You need to have a UAE licence to drive family/friends car, otherwise insurance is INVALID. I checked this with RTA/Traffic Dept and my insurance company recently.

I certainly wouldn't risk it, the driving is so bad here the chances of being in a fender bender are quite high.

You can obtain a temporary licence if you hold an approved licence, then you can drive freinds/familys cars with no problems.
The Major
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 07, 2007
The Major is spot on here. A lot of web-sites are confusing over the issue, and even personal visits to the authorities can be frustrating. The fact is, we have to 'keep our eyes on two masters' here. The traffic law and the insurers themselves. If you are on a visit visa, you must only drive a rental car to ensure that you are 100% ok, and as mentioned above, only with a valid IL. But also make sure you then ask the rental company if there is any limitation on where you can drive, because some state that you must only drive in the Emirate you took out the rental agreement. This is easily overcome in Dubai though, by nipping down to the traffic office and getting a temporary licence, but only for those of us lucky enough to have a licence from another recognised country (the list is on the Dubai Gov' web site). With a temp licence, the law allows you to drive any car as long as it is insured, but still you must check with your insurance company to make sure that they recognise a temporary licence, because not all do!! Its a bit of a nightmare, take a taxi!
The Doctor
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Which is more easier? Driving License from AbuDhabi or Dubai Sep 03, 2007
Dear Friends,

I'm working as an Electrical Engineer, in Abu Dhabi.
I may get transfer to Dubai after 1 year.
The company is going to apply for my Employment Visa. Since they are having branches in Dubai & Abu Dhabi , they can get either Visa from both of these emirates. Also I can tell them, which visa to take.

I have heard that , Taking Driving License in Abu Dhabi is tougher compared to that of Dubai...Is it true ?

Which is more easier to take ? Driving License from Abu Dhabi or from Dubai ?

How many tests will be there in Abu Dhabi ? How long will it take to get a call to go for driving lessons , after opening the file ?

Please share your opinions with me..
muneerkm
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Driving In UAE With An International Driving Permit Apr 23, 2010
Call now for any types of quries reg.dubai driving licence..Mohammad ..055-5462076
salman0095
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Driving In UAE With An International Driving Permit Apr 24, 2010
And how much do you charge ? ;)
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

undefined Mar 25, 2015
cheap_Deal , i have an internation driving permit and im visiting Dubai for a month. Is it legal to drive my sister's car during my stay whilst having an IDP and tourist visa?
talk2sidh
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto