Renting A Car With New UAE Driving License

Topic locked
Renting a car with new UAE driving license Nov 26, 2006
I just got my UAE driving license 3 months ago, and now I am having dificulty to rent a car. I have called a few car rental companies, trying to rent a car + CDW insurance, but they refused to give me a car because the license is new, even though I had mentioned that I have been driving in my home country for years.

One company said that if accident happens the insurance company WILL NOT cover the damage, because my UAE driving license is less than 1 year old. Other said that THERE IS A RISK that insurance company won't cover the damage.

Does anyone know the exact rule regarding this matter?
Two of my friends just got their UAE driving license, and when they purchased cars (a used and a brand new ones) the insurance company just give them the coverage.

If anyone knows of a car rental company that can give me a car, please let me know.

dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 26, 2006
Ive heard about this also, didnt really it was really true. Anyway why not try to ask one of your friends who have a year + old license, ask him to rent it, you will pay of course, and thus your problem solved. :wink:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 26, 2006
When I got my driving license, at the final lecture they specifically told me that I cannot rent a car for a year.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 26, 2006
If you did not convert your license over - that is you went through the whole learning / testing process then you won't be able to hire a car with your UAE license for the period gtmash has mentioned.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 26, 2006
zam wrote:Ive heard about this also, didnt really it was really true. Anyway why not try to ask one of your friends who have a year + old license, ask him to rent it, you will pay of course, and thus your problem solved. :wink:

Yes it is possible to do that, but if an accident happen then I still will have a problem. That's why I would like to know the effective rule or insurance policy wording on this matter.
dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 26, 2006
@gtmash

They didn't tell me that.

XRW-147 wrote:If you did not convert your license over - that is you went through the whole learning / testing process then you won't be able to hire a car with your UAE license for the period gtmash has mentioned.

Yes, I went through the whole course because I could not simply convert my license.

How do they know that a new license is a converted one? Is there any special marking on it?
dubai008
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 26, 2006
Just a week after I converted my license to UAE's a year ago, I rented a car from a reputable company with no problem. I (and the rent company) didn't bother the insurance. After all, it was through my previus company (corporate reference).

Probably you should try to rent it through your company.

PS: CDW is nothing but rental company's additional earning (if you don't knock the car) as I believe when they bought the car from the dealer, it's already insured. CMIIW.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 26, 2006
By the way, what is required in terms of paperwork nowadays to rent a car? I need one too right now.

A few years ago, one had to hand over a passport to them! :shock: But I hear the police discouraged that practice. So what is now needed?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 26, 2006
i too tried to rent a car, u need to have the UAE license for atleast 6months for all rental agencies.
with any other country license +international license u can rent a car though, too bad i dont have a intl license.

as for new cars yes insurances will insure you no problem. but SOME #%^#@ dealerships wont let u test drive their cars if ur UAE license is less than 6months old.
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 27, 2006
gtmash wrote:By the way, what is required in terms of paperwork nowadays to rent a car? I need one too right now.

Last month I rented a car from reputable rental company, I got reference from my company (my company is renting few cars already from them) so it's a bit easier. They need only copy of passport (+residence visa), UAE license (mine is more than one year old), and my business card. I need to fill the form containing all the information about workplace and residence. They ask for extra 150 AED for CDW. All are debited to my credit card. No advance deposit. And no, you don't need to hand over your original passport.

I suggest to ask for a reference from your company and deal with reputable rental company.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Nov 28, 2006
dubai008 wrote:Yes, I went through the whole course because I could not simply convert my license.

How do they know that a new license is a converted one? Is there any special marking on it?

There are no special markings to differentiate between the two. Basically you will need to provide your other license to substantiate your driving history. The day after I converted my license I rented a car for 2 weeks to get used to driving here.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 28, 2006
^^ What he said. Basically:

1) A copy of passport showing residency
2) Valid UAE license (+ home country license if UAE license less than one year)
3) Credit card imprint
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 28, 2006
is it possible for a dubai vistior to rent a car with a valid NON-UAE license accompanied by an international license?
how old does renter have to be? 21+ or 25+?
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 29, 2006
This is the rule i got from my folks from EDI,

You cant rent a car until your lisence is 6 months old ( old rule ) now changed to 1 year

1st party insurance coverage for 25 +

3rd party insurance coverage for 21 + ( not confirmed though, as per said )

International D/L Holders can rent a car if they meet the rent a car policies ( some allows 21+, while other 25 + )

Converted Lisences will require to wait 6 months

Black points + fine on accident if the lisence is not 1 year old.

minimum of 200 Dhs on saloon cars ( depending on the car type + insurance amount + period of lisence i.e. if the lisence has covered 1 year )

Now, all of you close your eyes tonight & the rules will change tomorrow morning

Updates : People from RTA will be taking your road tests, this is for people applying for new tests.

Minimum of 40 classes per new registrations / based on packages.

If you fail in the first try, i am not so sure if they will give you 40 classes again or reduce it.

And all this is being done to squeeze shillings from the poor's pockets..

Thank goodness i am 19 n this is the third year of my lisence, got it when i was 17..and i have to wait 3 more years to get it renewed for 10 years !!
ahamed
Dubai chat master

Dec 03, 2006
3 weeks ago I rented a small car for a day from Dollar Airport, with a newly issued license [issued 2 days before renting] and after showing my overseas license, managed to get the car and the insurance with no problem. They just copied both license, your passport and creditcard.

As for buying car with newly issued license, no issue. at the insurance counter at tasjeel, i think they asked for other license before processing the insurance. i believe i paid slightly overpriced insurance rate because of this new license thing.
JeepDude
Dubai Forums Member

Dec 03, 2006
with new license insurance was 6.5% for a the Lexus RX350. it wud have been only 5-5.5% with a year old license
cheap_Deal
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai AutoForum Rules

Return to Dubai Auto