World Of Weird - Fir Tree Grows Inside Lung

Topic locked
Apr 16, 2009
If there was 'literally' no light it would be pitch black which is untrue. Trees cannot grow with zero light, but they can grow poorly and slowly with little light, as under a heavy forest canopy:

http://www.sfmnetwork.ca/docs/e/RN_E35_ ... ht_low.pdf
• Under conifer-dominated canopies, juvenile white spruce need about 40% of above-canopy light for maximum height growth. Virtually no understory spruce survive when light levels drop below 8%.
• Leafless aspen canopies transmit a large amount of light to the understory in spring and fall; this may be why juvenile spruce can survive in dense aspen stands that have less than 8% light levels in summer.

Don't you love the Internet! :D
++

Chocks did you believe this one too? I bet you DID...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bigcat.asp

:D

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
I really don't care what you think SH, you poo poo everything. So what if it turns ou to be fake, it's a bloody good story none the less. Now shut up about it already.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 16, 2009
hahaha! it's OK you can believe it if it makes you happy, no problem for me, I'll keep quiet now.

it must be great living in Pink Fluffy World, send me a postcard :D

:banghead:
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah have you ever actually been into a forest of Firs? There is literally no light at the ground level, so the theory is flawed!

Just goodle the story and see how many places have reported it, you're wrong on this one - end of!

Let him talk Choc's. He doesn't know crap about plants.

I could lecture him about plant biology all day long, but he still won't believe it can happen.

I think its plausible with the right conditions.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 16, 2009
LOL, I love you guys.

Honestly, you couldn't lecture me abou jack sh*t mate...I studied biology until I was 18, including plant growth on the molecular level.

You've absolutely no idea what I know my friend so you should avoid saying that. ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Well here's a link, with an image of the tree inside the lung - so Neh!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/2339017 ... -mans-lung

Photoshop is a wonderful thing, lol
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 16, 2009
Speedhump wrote:how can a plant grow beyond the tinest sprout in the complete absence of light?

http://www.teachersdomain.org/resource/ ... lantsgrow/

"During the earliest stages of plant growth, the first root, called the taproot, stretches downward into the soil in search of water and to establish a firm structural foundation for the plant. The root grows both by adding cells and by elongating cells that already exist. Before long, the root forms branches, which improve the plant's support system and its ability to absorb water from the soil.

Not long after the taproot has become established in the soil, the shoot, or stem, of the seedling begins to stretch upward in search of light. The time-lapse video of this reveals the seedlings' need for light: They bend first one way and then the next in what becomes a repetitive waving motion as they follow the sun's movement throughout the day.

So far, all of the energy that the plant requires for growth comes from food stored in the part of the seed called the endosperm. As the stem stretches skyward it carries with it what is left of the food stores in the endosperm. Before long, however, this food will be depleted and the plant will need to create its own food. To do this, the plant must first grow leaves."

++

Leaves (or the many pine needles as shown in the picture) can't grow without light.

Yep I'm a killjoy but I'm on topic! :D

No, you are missing something of the big picture, Mr. Biology 8)

Read your internet finding again, and you'll see that, next to a humid base (lungs are humid from the inflow of air that gets warmed by your body temp. and humid surrounding cell tissue), a plant seed can grow from water only, since the endosperm carries the food at first;

"So far, all of the energy that the plant requires for growth comes from food stored in the part of the seed called the endosperm. As the stem stretches skyward it carries with it what is left of the food stores in the endosperm. Before long, however, this food will be depleted and the plant will need to create its own food. To do this, the plant must first grow leaves. "

"Most plants can survive with a combination of these three parts: roots, stems, and leaves."

So Speedhump, obviously the root and stems can grow (look at Chocs picture please!!!) but the leaves CANT, because we are missing one cycle of survival for this plant, which is sunlight or the absence of photosynthesis and thus the creation of the plants ability to create food from sugar, so to say.

You might wanna go back into those biology booklets you got there, but mine are still intact. I also had 4 years of biology in my pre-education son.

:lol:

Are you powned now? 8)
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Speedhump wrote:how can a plant grow beyond the tinest sprout in the complete absence of light?

http://www.teachersdomain.org/resource/ ... lantsgrow/

"During the earliest stages of plant growth, the first root, called the taproot, stretches downward into the soil in search of water and to establish a firm structural foundation for the plant. The root grows both by adding cells and by elongating cells that already exist. Before long, the root forms branches, which improve the plant's support system and its ability to absorb water from the soil.

Not long after the taproot has become established in the soil, the shoot, or stem, of the seedling begins to stretch upward in search of light. The time-lapse video of this reveals the seedlings' need for light: They bend first one way and then the next in what becomes a repetitive waving motion as they follow the sun's movement throughout the day.

So far, all of the energy that the plant requires for growth comes from food stored in the part of the seed called the endosperm. As the stem stretches skyward it carries with it what is left of the food stores in the endosperm. Before long, however, this food will be depleted and the plant will need to create its own food. To do this, the plant must first grow leaves."

++

Leaves (or the many pine needles as shown in the picture) can't grow without light.

Yep I'm a killjoy but I'm on topic! :D

No, you are missing something of the big picture, Mr. Biology 8)

Read your internet finding again, and you'll see that, next to a humid base (lungs are humid from the inflow of air that gets warmed by your body temp. and humid surrounding cell tissue), a plant seed can grow from water only, since the endosperm carries the food at first;

"So far, all of the energy that the plant requires for growth comes from food stored in the part of the seed called the endosperm. As the stem stretches skyward it carries with it what is left of the food stores in the endosperm. Before long, however, this food will be depleted and the plant will need to create its own food. To do this, the plant must first grow leaves. "

"Most plants can survive with a combination of these three parts: roots, stems, and leaves."

So Speedhump, obviously the root and stems can grow (look at Chocs picture please!!!) but the leaves CANT, because we are missing one cycle of survival for this plant, which is sunlight or the absence of photosynthesis and thus the creation of the plants ability to create food from sugar, so to say.

You might wanna go back into those biology booklets you got there, but mine are still intact. I also had 4 years of biology in my pre-education son.

:lol:

Are you powned now? 8)

That picture is not just a taproot and a stem (endosperm) is it now? It looks like a fully grown 'minature tree' which would be completely impossible to grow from the energy (food) stored in the seed. Aren't they pine needles you see there? Those are 'leaves' right?

Sorry I still say hoax.

pwned me??? OMG u l33t Dutch h4xxor......404 Robby's brain cannot be found at this location.....

:D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
A bit undeveloped kind of 'leaves' dont you think? Leaves are capable of photosynthesis, and therefore these cannot be considered leaves like you think they normally are.

Not particularly "dark green (low sunlight) or yellow (high sunlight)" thus capable of some level of photosynthesis, now are they?

Its just a little flaw of nature that happened to get into some conditions that were suitable for partial growth. It can be fake or at least plausible.

I stand by my opinion considering the basics just presented for seed growth.

Ta Ta Mr. Biology ;)
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
RobbyG wrote:A bit undeveloped kind of 'leaves' dont you think? Leaves are capable of photosynthesis, and therefore these cannot be considered leaves like you think they normally are.

Not particularly "dark green (low sunlight) or yellow (high sunlight)" thus capable of some level of photosynthesis, now are they?

Its just a little flaw of nature that happened to get into some conditions that were suitable for partial growth. It can be fake or at least plausible.

Ta Ta Mr. Biology ;)

:)

Well fir trees only have needles not leaves as such, so these look like many pine needles to me? If they are then they could not have grown from the tiny amount of energy stored in a seed.

Anyway, we must be bored with this by now.....if it's true I'll eat your cat.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
I wonder if a pathologist looked at the specimen under a microscope?
That would confirm or otherwise if it really was a tree.....
zonker
BANNED

Apr 16, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
RobbyG wrote:A bit undeveloped kind of 'leaves' dont you think? Leaves are capable of photosynthesis, and therefore these cannot be considered leaves like you think they normally are.

Ta Ta Mr. Biology ;)

:)

Well fir trees only have needles not leaves as such, so these look like many pine needles to me? If they are then they could not have grown from the tiny amount of energy stored in a seed.

Anyway, we must be bored with this by now.....if it's true I'll eat your cat.

You bored? On the topics of a true Biologist? Where's your passion son :lol:

Just for the record. A fir tree has leaves. Needle-shaped leaves!

Now eat my cat. 8) :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Yeah have you ever actually been into a forest of Firs? There is literally no light at the ground level, so the theory is flawed!

Just goodle the story and see how many places have reported it, you're wrong on this one - end of!

Let him talk Choc's. He doesn't know crap about plants.

I could lecture him about plant biology all day long, but he still won't believe it can happen.

I think its plausible with the right conditions.

The eternal flirt Robby..... :lol:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 16, 2009
Yep, but Chocs hates me. She's appalled by me.

It just wouldn't work...right Chocs? :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
^^^ she hates me too. Finds my talk blithering...
Guess we're in the same boat dude^^^
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:^^^ she hates me too. Finds my talk blithering...
Guess we're in the same boat dude^^^

Lets get a beer son. Lets celebrate :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
LOL ONLY IN RUSSIA
Ruskie
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 17, 2009
:thumbright:

:occasion5:
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
The news were bradcoasted by the First Federal All-Russian Channel on the 14 of April.
There is some video inside (in Russian):

http://www.1tv.ru/news/social/141840

Biologists believe that the green branch could get to an organism only entirely because there are no conditions for growth of plants in lungs.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 17, 2009
Red Chief wrote:The news were bradcoasted by the First Federal All-Russian Channel on the 14 of April.

Biologists believe that the green branch could get to an organism only entirely because there are no conditions for growth of plants in lungs.

Have you ever inhaled a 50mm branch before? :lol:

A normal person would sufficate right at the moment that branch enters that pipe Chief!

I simply can't believe that going in my lungpipe and not notice it ;)
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
If you could drink as much as he you would believe...
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 17, 2009
Red Chief wrote:If you could drink as much as he you would believe...
8) 8) 8)

I guess you have a valid point there :lol: 8) :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

I honestly thought you would have understood that I meant that, *sigh*

So it makes my point yes? Otherwise I would not have pointed out that it has grown so many 'needles' (leaves) when it can't without sunlight.

And I told you...look at the damn ruler, it ends at 5 cm but the growth starts at 2.5 cm. Deduct 2.5 from 5 and what's left
(did you keep your maths books as well Brainiac? :D :D ;) ) ?

Oh well, let's shut up now! But as a polite Col. Blimp I'll allow you the last word.....

;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
Red Chief wrote:The news were bradcoasted by the First Federal All-Russian Channel on the 14 of April.

too late dozy, I already established that using science, not quoting from some lame website....
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:Yep, but Chocs hates me. She's appalled by me.

Bud you have this thing where you go 'get them to hate me first then they'll fall in love with me later'.

I know how that sh*t works ;)

And it does... :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

I honestly thought you would have understood that I meant that, *sigh*

So it makes my point yes? Otherwise I would not have pointed out that it has grown so many 'needles' (leaves) when it can't without sunlight.

And I told you...look at the damn ruler, it ends at 5 cm but the growth starts at 2.5 cm. Deduct 2.5 from 5 and what's left
(did you keep your maths books as well Brainiac? :D :D ;) ) ?

Oh well, let's shut up now! But as a polite Col. Blimp I'll allow you the last word.....

;)

The last word you'll never gonna get when someone is as wrong as you are, son 8)

Everything you said, is to be applied on you. So you be quiet now ok.

If you have the 'Biologic passion' you know that a undeveloped leave can be considered a sideroot without photosynthesis, therefore it could well be formed from the seeds endosperm reserves (perhaps shorter/not fully grown). Could well have been a 'survival of the fittest' seed in the Russian's lung...under the right circumstances of course.

Anyway, you haven't given me proper arguments against it. Stick to the camels Humprey, :lol:

:twisted: so bad :twisted:
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:

too late dozy, I already established that using science, not quoting from some lame website....

I have battled all your arguments, if not I will continue untill you talk sensible biology. Its a marvel but its plausible from the basics of seed growth.

You should get your celstructure checked. :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Yep, but Chocs hates me. She's appalled by me.

Bud you have this thing where you go 'get them to hate me first then they'll fall in love with me later'.

I know how that sh*t works ;)

And it does... :D

Don't even consider of taking my 'style' here on DF :lol:
Find your own forum hahahah ;)

SLAPPPP, - I just gave your camel a slap on the back... That should keep you busy for a while getting him back from that highest dune :lol:
RobbyG

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:too late dozy, I already established that using science, not quoting from some lame website....

It happened in Russia. So It's an original source, Blimp. Kiwi web site offered only restricted translation.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 17, 2009
I see this thread really "branched" out and "blossomed" from a bunch of needles. :D
I thought about submiting the story to one of my blogs, then thought it rather too rude.
Thier big meltdown in Russia tainted milk as far as europe years ago, so who knows what will come out of there next?

canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat