Weird Things Going On In Dubai..

Topic locked
Weird things going on in Dubai.. Dec 20, 2010
So the past week has been full of weirdness for me. I have been here over three years and never seen anything like this. I think there is certainly something going on:

Flag #1 Went to put 5k AED cash in my brother's bank account at a certain standard bank that is surely chartered. I needed to present a legal for of ID which was copied and filed. I have made this deposit for 2 years and never been asked this.

Flag #2 went to deposit cash in my bank account, an Emirates bank, based here in Dubai. It was 110K AED and needed to fill out forms asking questions such as "what are the source of funds?" , can I "prove the source of funds", as well as a bunch of other things that I thought were odd. I have deposited millions in cash with no questions asked over the years, the most recent being cash collected for my brother and cash for selling a friend's jeep, no questions asked.

Flag #3 The above deposit was transferred to the USA for a purchase of goods which took a week to post. The cash was debited from my account instantly, yet took a week to arrive. When I called the USA bank, a large bank of America, they said it should take about 36 hrs. Money sent 2 years ago took one business day from my Emirates bank to the bank in America.

Flag #4 The goods I purchased in the USA arrived yesterday, yet were held in DXB customs. Customs said they needed CID approval to clear the goods. I called the CID and asked, they said they might need approval (from who???). CID of course closed at 2:30pm?!?!

The goods I ordered was a state-of-the-art computer system and was worth 25k USD, just not quite sure what all the cloak and dagger business is about. I bought stuff with money and just want it. UPS told me that any shipment containing more than 2 parcels is flagged now, this shipment is 10 boxes. I have ordered from these people for years with no issues in the past.

Something is rotten in Denmark, methinks. Can't wait to see this place in my rear-view mirror.

Oh, and there is a white Toyota van I see everywhere with blacked out windows. Will posts snaps tomorrow.

dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Weird Things Going On In Dubai.. Dec 20, 2010
Could be something to do with upped security specially after those dubious packages sent via here states side. The van could be just a conicidence unless its the same one following you around town, but I 'd think they would use a less conspicious car than a white van for that.

Or simply because of the nature of your job, your big transactions and shipments, you could be under watch to see if your upto no good. Totally plausible here.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

desertdudeshj wrote:Could be something to do with upped security specially after those dubious packages sent via here states side. The van could be just a conicidence unless its the same one following you around town, but I 'd think they would use a less conspicious car than a white van for that.

Or simply because of the nature of your job, your big transactions and shipments, you could be under watch to see if your upto no good. Totally plausible here.

I guess you have a valid point. I am not too worried as I have done nothing wrong. Cash is from legit sources, paper trail to prove, just never seen it this difficult before. It is complex computer gear, so maybe so. I am expecting a call from the CID in the am, so hopefully they will just want a demo (maybe pass out some business cards?) and let me leave with my wares. I have spent too many late nights ensuring this gear got here in a timely manner.

I was at a client's place for 4 hours today and the van was outside for the whole time idling. Kinda weird. It is a white Previa, so sticks out like a sore thumb on the Palm. I would shudder if they showed up at the house right now..with all the kit I have, it looks like a "safehouse" from the Bourne Ultimatum.

I'm sure no panic, just not looking forward to the red tape proving I did not import missile launchers.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Ah the palm, most probably a hotel transfer or a chauffer type rental, with the kind of transient crowd that stays on the palm totaly possible. Pervias are the car of choice for such things. Its not uncommon for these people have the driver wait for hours while they have dinner or get ready to leave or move to their next destination. The driver since its not his car or fuel usually switxhes on the AC and takes a nap.

But if you saw this same car more than a couple of times in different locales then maybe. And yeah so your in the clear you have nothing to worry about other than just the hassle of it all been there done that, somehow your time is never important to them and you could wait hours just to see someone for a few minutes.

" Ahh, you need this work, yallah khalas go " something that could have taken two minutes at the most turns out to be hours if not the entire day or atleast half of it.
desertdudeshj

I have talked to friends in the tech business tonight. Apparently this is quite common with stuff the customs folks have not seen before. It usually ends with "ok, is fine, you go". Hopefully for me it will go that way. Also, I guess folks are using Dubai as a gateway to sell stuff to Iran/Iraq that is not allowed. My kit is cleared to sell there, so not sure what they are worried about? Although, the main computer could beat Gary Kasparov at a game of chess and I call it "HAL".

It is funny, when I attended INTERSEC this year, you would not believe the gear for sale there. Radar and cell jammers, etc. Crazy stuff. Mine is an entertainment computer system/family fun center. No risk here.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Should it all good mate in that case, just the added hassle I guess. Personaly I just dread these visits to any place official. Such a tremendous chore ! Not a good time and month comming up, got to make a lot of these "choring" trips. Bah ! not looking forward to all this at all !
desertdudeshj

Re: Weird things going on in Dubai.. Dec 20, 2010
There's random police checks going on all over Dubai right now and also ones in specific gated communities. Everyone is being stopped after midnight and asked for ID.

In Abu Dhabi hotels over the weekend, security was ridiculous, everyone entering the hotel had to have all bags screened as well as going through metal detectors.

There's definitely something up.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

DD, it is obvious you are a subversive element.

Maybe you should have bought that Cray Supercomputer from the Al Ain Centre, I am sure it would have been cheaper!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

I've just sent my expired visa copy to the CID. Just waiting for the phone call to go down there. What a joke.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

DD that's a bit naff being followed by a white Toyota Previa isn't it? I always insist my stalkers drive at least a BM or Range Rover.
BTW if you leave any white powder in that flat I expect the LL would appreciate Cocaine rather than Cemtex.
Bethsmum

Say folks, is the security become tighter in other emirates also ? Any ideas ?

Perhaps this is going on in the dubai because of fears that maybe another terrorista act is being expected by the west during this holiday season , Based on the news that I have been reading.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

one, two, three, four,, I always feel like somebody's watching meeeeeee AndIHaveNoPrivacy wohohoh...
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

zubber wrote:Say folks, is the security become tighter in other emirates also ? Any ideas ?

Perhaps this is going on in the dubai because of fears that maybe another terrorista act is being expected by the west during this holiday season , Based on the news that I have been reading.

Read my post above! In AD definitely.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

benwj wrote:one, two, three, four,, I always feel like somebody's watching meeeeeee AndIHaveNoPrivacy wohohoh...

Thats not how rockwell's song goes.
desertdudeshj

how does it go then mr smarty pants?
benwj

Like this 8)

Hell I even like the techno version :D

desertdudeshj

The techno version? What a load of shite. You can't beat the original.
Bethsmum

Re: Weird things going on in Dubai.. Dec 21, 2010
^^ hey BM , don't be dissin the ravers :mrgreen:
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Weird Things Going On In Dubai.. Dec 21, 2010
ravers? you need to take drugs for it to sound good.
benwj

Zubber...please...I can't be doing with that bloody music. It does my head in. Why ruin a good song?
Bethsmum

Have I got a story to tell you all. I need to hit the sheets so I won't expand, as I am addressing Supreme Court tomorrow at 9. But I wasn't wrong, I've been watched and I have a meeting with the Director-General of customs and cargo tomorrow. The CID did not allow me to import the items as they felt it was military-grade. What a bunch of twits. After I get the Director's signature, I can get CID's signature, then I get Customs' signature, then I can collect me home entertainment system!

So tomorrow DD gets to visit Supreme Court, Ministry of Labour, DNRD, Dubai Police, CID, Customs and the Director-General. Followed by a trip to the bottle shop.

Dubai ain't easy.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Hmmm, military grade home entertainment, a blast prood PS3 ? ! LOL

Oh and good luck with the court case and your the govt depts city tour tommorow.

I had a dubai day too day, apply at one place, pay at another and pick it up at another, With around a 70kms distance between the three. You betcha dubai ain't easy. If it wasn't think of all the out of work P.R.O's
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:Hmmm, military grade home entertainment, a blast prood PS3 ? ! LOL

Oh and good luck with the court case and your the govt depts city tour tommorow.

I had a dubai day too day, apply at one place, pay at another and pick it up at another, With around a 70kms distance between the three. You betcha dubai ain't easy. If it wasn't think of all the out of work P.R.O's

I'm "this" close to giving up, DDS.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

As one of the saying goes, You swallowed the elephant, only the tail is left now. i.e the most difficult times are almost over, just a little more and your good to go.

Or atleast something like that !
desertdudeshj

Weird ......
In my opinion , this looks like a paranoia toward "intelligence" gathering equipment rather than military grade stuff.
They are scared to death of any devices that could pick up info, docs, photos, that could then be broadcast over the internet.
On the other end, there was this military contractor guy who just got 6 months in jail after a fly over stop in Dubai from Irak, he had in his luggage some weapon accessories , like butt stock and mounting devices.
So, watch yourself, i hope you will do ok.
do you guys have any feed back regarding CID or customs interest toward people coming to Dubai with hi tech cameras, remote control devices and so forth?
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

dubaidog wrote:Have I got a story to tell you all. I need to hit the sheets so I won't expand, as I am addressing Supreme Court tomorrow at 9. But I wasn't wrong, I've been watched and I have a meeting with the Director-General of customs and cargo tomorrow. The CID did not allow me to import the items as they felt it was military-grade. What a bunch of twits. After I get the Director's signature, I can get CID's signature, then I get Customs' signature, then I can collect me home entertainment system!

So tomorrow DD gets to visit Supreme Court, Ministry of Labour, DNRD, Dubai Police, CID, Customs and the Director-General. Followed by a trip to the bottle shop.

Dubai ain't easy.

Hang in there DD! You definitely haven't had an easy go in Dubai. :evil:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

There has got to be more to this story DD. Who's toes have you trodden on???
benwj

benwj wrote:There has got to be more to this story DD. Who's toes have you trodden on???

Is this a tumble weed moment benwj? I hope DD hasn't been banged up!
Bethsmum

Well, we are all waiting to hear from him!!! Hope he signs in.........
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bethsmum wrote:
benwj wrote:There has got to be more to this story DD. Who's toes have you trodden on???

Is this a tumble weed moment benwj? I hope DD hasn't been banged up!

Bora, do you like my new signiture? It's in your face isn't it? :shock:
Bethsmum

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat