Escape From Dubai

Topic locked
Mar 18, 2009
I read that article in the paper.........Why do u jail someone for stealing a cellphone???? Its so juvenile...Y not jus make him pay 4 it?

Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 18, 2009
No Del, they picked me to be a scapegoat, and tried to rob me at the same time.
all the people here promoting dubai, have nothing to lose, like speedhump, or bora bora, (i have been there a nice, place you should visit) they could pack and leave the same day as he said. a lot of them dont even own their car, the bank does, they dont own a house, they own nothing, they have nothing to lose but their job, and they hang on to it. so it is easy to bad mouth against those who took risks and invested in dubai, and then scream because they got ripped off, none of these good posters took any risks, or esle please share with me.
soon a lot more of poeple who have invested $1M+ in dubai, already have or are going to feel the pain of losing it. just pick on the news when it comes out.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 18, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:I read that article in the paper.........Why do u jail someone for stealing a cellphone???? Its so juvenile...Y not jus make him pay 4 it?

because if he goes to jail, obviously his buddy (both emirati) think he can have his position. that what it says in the article, not me...........
i heard there are may be 4 to 6 emirati pilots at emirates air, (please anyone confirm) all the others are europeeans or us, so they are hurting only but themselves.
one stolen (alleged) mobile phone, and that 16% less emirati pilots on the job.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
herve wrote:
Misery Called Life wrote:I read that article in the paper.........Why do u jail someone for stealing a cellphone???? Its so juvenile...Y not jus make him pay 4 it?

because if he goes to jail, obviously his buddy (both emirati) think he can have his position. that what it says in the article, not me...........
i heard there are may be 4 to 6 emirati pilots at emirates air, (please anyone confirm) all the others are europeeans or us, so they are hurting only but themselves.

Blah, blah, blah, herve trash Dubai
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 19, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
herve wrote:

Herve is really having a negative impact, at least on me, now. At first I thought I would give his book a try but I don't think I'll be reading it.
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 19, 2009
This entire mobile episode is very fishy, there's more than meets the eye...Somehow I get the feeling that GN has not reported all the facts!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
i am not the one who brought the news on the stolen mobile, but there is something wrong here, either going to jail for that, or like misery said, in the GN article. sorry K dog for being sarcastic, but a lot of people go to prison lately for the silliest reasons, yesterday, this woman convicted of adultery was awarded 3 months, awarded like if it was some sort of prize. who, here, thinks it is normal. for one, there is no irrefutable proof, the alleged lover is not known, and there is no DNA or anything to back up the accusation, as per GN article. for 2 , even if it was true, this is a serious reminder for westerners that the UAE is not an open society.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 19, 2009
viking-warrior wrote: The Dubai Court of First Instance sentenced the 31-year-old Emirati pilot, who worked for a government department, to six months in jail after he was found guilty of stealing his compatriot's mobile phone.

So they're not just evil to foreigners.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 19, 2009
herve wrote:i am not the one who brought the news on the stolen mobile, but there is something wrong here, either going to jail for that, or like misery said, in the GN article. sorry K dog for being sarcastic, but a lot of people go to prison lately for the silliest reasons, yesterday, this woman convicted of adultery was awarded 3 months, awarded like if it was some sort of prize. who, here, thinks it is normal. for one, there is no irrefutable proof, the alleged lover is not known, and there is no DNA or anything to back up the accusation, as per GN article. for 2 , even if it was true, this is a serious reminder for westerners that the UAE is not an open society.

sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Mar 19, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
herve wrote:

Herve is really having a negative impact, at least on me, now. At first I thought I would give his book a try but I don't think I'll be reading it.

Mate, no book by a hater can ever be impartial therefore readable, we're all going to let RobbyG read it and tell us how it turns out. Maybe herve dies in the end.... :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 19, 2009
wishful thinking? speedhump.
any opinion on that compatriote of yours who was awarded 3 months in prison for adultery
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 20, 2009
herve wrote:wishful thinking? speedhump.
any opinion on that compatriote of yours who was awarded 3 months in prison for adultery

I have no idea whether she was guilty or not, and so no. If I did I would not be spilling it here just because I was prodded by a donkey like you.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 20, 2009
Oh come on Ladies, what ever side of the fence your are from you are going to want to read it, hell even those sitting on the fence will want a peek.

From you intelligent posts SH I can't believe that you will be allowing someone else to make your mind up for you.

And as UAEKid's tag line says "If you don't read what you don't like, you will never learn."

Oh the irony !

:wink: :wink:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 20, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
herve wrote:
RedKite wrote:Hang on Herve! Earlier you were almost begging for SYMPATHY and making out you were the "good guy" and the "innocent guy" and Sultan and his mates were the "bad buys" !!

Now you GLOAT about " MANIPULATING GOVERNMENT GOONS" ; "TRAPPING PEOPLE" ; "TOYING" with people; etc etc

From first saying you were the NICE GUY, you now show you are not "NICE" at all .......but very SLY AND DEVIOUS!

So how do you expect to get international sympathy?

You also say that you worked UNDERCOVER IN THE MIDDLE EAST FOR 10 YEARS.
So how come such a brilliant spy TRUSTED Arabs? You spent 10 years DUPING PEOPLE in the Middle East.
So where was your training later in dealing with Middle East people?

HOW CAN A SPY BE SO TRUSTING??? WHY DID YOU NOT SEE THE MISTRUST COMING?
YOU ARE THE "PROFESSIONAL" CHARACTER JUDGE!!

NOOOOOO i was a nice all along until they got nasty with me, so i just returned the favor, what would you do if somebody was threatening you of torture, take your passport, you give them chocolates? i ll give you my number, call me i ll get you out.
do you know if anybody escaped before? am i the first one, soon .....we ll see boat people from dubai....such a contradiction
anyways, 3,000 viewers in less than a week, there is definitely an interest here.

www.escapefromdubai.com

Many threads have multiple viewers, your constant trashing of Dubai is getting rather tiresome though.

Its Herve's opinion on things. I think he gets way to less credit for his openness. Whether it is true or not, the world can decide after his book comes out. Until that moment, I would keep my head low judging Herve like this. I don't think he comes here to just bash Dubai, but in response to some other familiar 'bashers' on DF, he bashes back now and then.

I don't think this guy is a liar. Maybe not always that articulate but hey, no-one is perfect. I'm looking forward to his full story. Even when it turns out to be fiction...its a nice story about a supposed 'desert paradise' 8)

You know what its like when you walk in a desert, don't you? The heat can get you delusional. Shortage of water doesn't help either. Salty cells make you want to see an oasis...reality might show otherwise. :wink:

Every coin has two sides.
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 20, 2009
For all those "Ohhh all you do is trash dubai.... blah blah blah"
You guys sound like a broken record.

This is a FORUM. The point of a forum is to discuss topics, good or bad. Human nature has it that the bad is far more interesting than the good. Blame God, or deal with it any other way you can... (ie. off yourself already).

I dont care how many people are skeptical about Dubai, talk badly about it, or come up with ridiculous stories about the place. I am here for a reason! NO ONE is going to make up my mind for me. Herve got royally Screwed (pun intended); I'll make sure to watch out for that... although I'm not going to get on the next flight out of here because he says so.

For Fux sake... If we were so narrow minded and listened to what everone else said as though it was the gospel, we would have still thought the earth was flat!

Viking seems to have some solid points (albeit negative). :idea:
dresden
Dubai chat master

Mar 20, 2009
dresden wrote:For all those "Ohhh all you do is trash dubai.... blah blah blah"
You guys sound like a broken record.

This is a FORUM. The point of a forum is to discuss topics, good or bad. Human nature has it that the bad is far more interesting than the good. Blame God, or deal with it any other way you can... (ie. off yourself already).

I dont care how many people are skeptical about Dubai, talk badly about it, or come up with ridiculous stories about the place. I am here for a reason! NO ONE is going to make up my mind for me. Herve got royally Screwed (pun intended); I'll make sure to watch out for that... although I'm not going to get on the next flight out of here because he says so.

For Fux sake... If we were so narrow minded and listened to what everone else said as though it was the gospel, we would have still thought the earth was flat!

Viking seems to have some solid points (albeit negative). :idea:

Ahhhh at last! Neighbouring sanity! :lol:

A jump for joy for my German buddy Dresden. :wink:
RobbyG

Mar 21, 2009
I will defend my right have a negative view on Dubai and welcome this opportunity to put my side of the arguement, and this type of forum is a huge improvement on the black pen censorship that has existed there in my limited 3 decades experience of the place. So hats of to that.

But the few long term veterans out there reading will have to agree that, freedoms can be extinguished at the drop of a hat, it has happened in the past and WILL happen again.

Enjoy it while you can. :wink:
viking-warrior
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 21, 2009
viking-warrior wrote:I will defend my right have a negative view on Dubai and welcome this opportunity to put my side of the arguement, and this type of forum is a huge improvement on the black pen censorship that has existed there in my limited 3 decades experience of the place. So hats of to that.

All agreed, I also defend my right to have a positive view of Dubai. These forums are very healthy places for fact based discussions (not: buy my book and you'll see), and the UAE is to be commended for not blocking this site. I'm unhappy about the 'discussion' forums being used to promote new books, however I'm not going to say any more about that as I'm not a moderator.

But the few long term veterans out there reading will have to agree that, freedoms can be extinguished at the drop of a hat, it has happened in the past and WILL happen again.

For sure, if you break the law which can be harsh as everyone needs to be aware BEFORE coming here, or get in over your head with corrupt businessmen/politicians (or change the words to suit); which story is just the way of the whole world. And I honestly don't need to read another book about that, even if it's in my backyard, maybe I'm just too 'been there, seen that' now.....

Enjoy it while you can. :wink:

Lets! :D
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2009
Grass is always greener somewhere else.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2009
worldguy wrote:Grass is always greener somewhere else.

A phrase almost always used by people who are never happy wherever they are!!!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2009
'the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence' .... usually means jealousy and/or dissatisfaction ;)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2009
It could mean lot of things .... but, holds true for Dubai. i just spent an evening full with Dubai being ripped apart by all nationalities .... maybe they just missed the economic slowdown across the world. I has a chat with a company that helps in expats returning back to their home countries and some of the expats actually fail to realise the difference in life. They take much longer to go back and settle in Europe, America or Asia.

Anyway guess we diverting from the topic.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 21, 2009
worldguy wrote:It could mean lot of things .... but, holds true for Dubai. i just spent an evening full with Dubai being ripped apart by all nationalities .... maybe they just missed the economic slowdown across the world. I has a chat with a company that helps in expats returning back to their home countries and some of the expats actually fail to realise the difference in life. They take much longer to go back and settle in Europe, America or Asia.

Anyway guess we diverting from the topic.

No, this topic is better than advertising a book release.

I think a lot of people may flee Dubai and when they get home realise that things are no better there. At least they will have their family and friends around them I guess.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 21, 2009
That's a fair point. A place gains or loses its charms based on the firends and closed ones. Rest of the things would become secondary over a period of time.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

dark side of dubai Apr 07, 2009
herve can't wait for your book. Btw you might want read the latest article in the independent, "The Dark Side of Dubai"

It's about de facto slavery in Dubai
bonerici
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

Apr 07, 2009
This book is going to hit like a bomb!

Just read The Independant article between the breaks of the evening here. I have serious issues with the mentality of people over there.

If you know the background of it, you simply dont even want to work there anylonger, dont you guys have that feeling?

Its sick!
RobbyG

Apr 08, 2009
Of course there are positive things about Dubai, but are they only superficial things? We had an interesting experience, met some good friends, and got rid of student loans, saved some money, and husband's salary allowed us to have a baby without pressure for me to go straight back to work. Seriously, that is all the positives I can say about my experience in Dubai. While those things are all nice, we could still have coped living in our home countries. Sure, the loans would have taken longer to pay off, but we have friends and family there, there is government support and longer maternity leave. So, in the end, was Dubai so special? My remaining interest in Dubai is that it was the strangest experience of my life and it is interesting to see how Dubai rose and may fall. It is like watching an interesting science experiment in a petri dish...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Apr 08, 2009
kanelli wrote:Of course there are positive things about Dubai, but are they only superficial things? We had an interesting experience, met some good friends, and got rid of student loans, saved some money, and husband's salary allowed us to have a baby without pressure for me to go straight back to work. Seriously, that is all the positives I can say about my experience in Dubai. While those things are all nice, we could still have coped living in our home countries. Sure, the loans would have taken longer to pay off, but we have friends and family there, there is government support and longer maternity leave. So, in the end, was Dubai so special? My remaining interest in Dubai is that it was the strangest experience of my life and it is interesting to see how Dubai rose and may fall. It is like watching an interesting science experiment in a petri dish...

Dubai was a better place say five years ago (and more), that's all that I can say. Less flash hotels, less people, no property bubble (before which Dubai was still a successful place everyone has forgotten, unbelievable). There will always be business done here now it has started, hopefully without property being the mainstay of the economy. It's become an international fulcrum, a link between east and west, also the Gulf regional hub and it will remain that way so long as it's tolerant to expats. If it shrinks a little then so much the better, to grow again more slowly on the basis of true commerce.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 08, 2009
Speedhump wrote:
kanelli wrote:Of course there are positive things about Dubai, but are they only superficial things? We had an interesting experience, met some good friends, and got rid of student loans, saved some money, and husband's salary allowed us to have a baby without pressure for me to go straight back to work. Seriously, that is all the positives I can say about my experience in Dubai. While those things are all nice, we could still have coped living in our home countries. Sure, the loans would have taken longer to pay off, but we have friends and family there, there is government support and longer maternity leave. So, in the end, was Dubai so special? My remaining interest in Dubai is that it was the strangest experience of my life and it is interesting to see how Dubai rose and may fall. It is like watching an interesting science experiment in a petri dish...

Dubai was a better place say five years ago (and more), that's all that I can say. Less flash hotels, less people, no property bubble (before which Dubai was still a successful place everyone has forgotten, unbelievable). There will always be business done here now it has started, hopefully without property being the mainstay of the economy. It's become an international fulcrum, a link between east and west, also the Gulf regional hub and it will remain that way so long as it's tolerant to expats. If it shrinks a little then so much the better, to grow again more slowly on the basis of true commerce.

couldnt agree more. and i would be happy to see more and more ppl leave meaning less trafic :D it would be awsome if some expats could leave too :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 08, 2009
And don't forget rudeboy, the expats that are leaving will feel happy too... happy to see the back of such a dysfunctional place.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat