Is This Offer Good Enough? Please Help!

Topic locked
Is this offer good enough? please help! Dec 17, 2006
Hi Expats and other knowledgeable people on this forum.

i have been reading through this forum and find it a very interesting one - so great work by all. i too may join in soon, but will need some help beforehand.

ok i have just received an offer by an insurance firm to work on IT projects in Dubai

i am 27, British, single and educated to degree level. i have 5 years of IT project management and Business analysis experience. all gained working in London.

I have an Asian father, so i am slightly tanned (i've read that this could have an influence)

the package i have been offered is 19000 dirhams a month + medical + 2 flights return + 30 days annual leave.
Accomodation is 70000 annum - excluded from the above salary - how do i arrange to have a place without a visa... should they sort it out for me? do i have to pay up front?
they said they will negotiate transport allowance/car.

i would also like to know how the Visa is usually issued, do i need to arrive first?

is that considered a good salary for someone my age,experience, and for someone who likes to party?

also, how much does a newish Golf GTI cost in this place :-)

Thanks for your help.

if i have missed any required degtails, please let me know

contracted_nomad
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 17, 2006
Does 'excluded' from salary mean that 70,000 is taking out of your salary or given to you as a seperate package (make sure you double check this, a few people have arrived to find out that it was in fact taking out of there salary).

If the later then this is a good package to live well on.

They will sort out your visa - you will be sponsored by them. This will be supplied to you as a photocopy or scan which you can show at the airport.

Make sure you bring loads of passport photos (you will need them for UAE driving license as you will not be allowed to drive on your UK license unless you have a visit visa (you will be resident)).
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master

Dec 17, 2006
jabbajabba wrote:Does 'excluded' from salary mean that 70,000 is taking out of your salary or given to you as a seperate package (make sure you double check this, a few people have arrived to find out that it was in fact taking out of there salary).

the 70000 is additional therefore the 19000 is net.
is it possible to get a nice-ish place in Dubai for 70000? also how is it usually settled with estate agents? do i have to pay up front? its a lot of money!!
jabbajabba wrote:If the later then this is a good package to live well on.

excellent!
jabbajabba wrote:They will sort out your visa - you will be sponsored by them. This will be supplied to you as a photocopy or scan which you can show at the airport.

excellent!
jabbajabba wrote:Make sure you bring loads of passport photos (you will need them for UAE driving license as you will not be allowed to drive on your UK license unless you have a visit visa (you will be resident)).

sure, thanks for the tips jabbajabba, much appreciated
contracted_nomad
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 18, 2006
If you have been reading the forums, then you will have found out that Dhs70,000 is pushing it a bit, but really depends on where you wanna live. Dhs70K will NOT get you a two bed flat, it may get you a bedsit somewhere.

Usually they will accept 3 or 4 cheques for the rent. Speak to your Company, they may give you an upfront advance on your rental allowance.

You will not be able to rent an apartment in your name until you have a residence visa, this could take 4-6 weeks, so be prepared to stay in a hotel somewhere before this comes through, unless the company is willing to take it on themselves.

The new Golf GTi will set you back Dhs110K.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 18, 2006
Thanks for the input

I am single so will be happy to stay in a 1br studio, in preferable Bur Dubai. Was hoping to hear 70k would be ok!

Re: Golf GTI - that’s not much cheaper than the UK price! Darn!

Back to the negotiating table!

Thanks for your help
contracted_nomad
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 19, 2006
You are a Brit, ask for more money.

I studied in Stokholm and later in London, worked always in London and negotiated better terms after their first two offers.

the Golf is cool by the way ;-)
rvp_legend
Dubai forums Addict

Dec 20, 2006
Thanks RVP
how much can i expect though? considering age, etc..
also i have read on another thread regarding certificate attestation.
i havent seen my certificates for YEARS!!!! i have to start searching for them.
do they normally ask you to send them certificates? cant they just check them some other way?

cheers for the help.
contracted_nomad
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 20, 2006
No, they need a copy of all your certificates. I don't think the originals are required, well, not for education. Maybe for marriage, birth cert etc.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 05, 2007
try looking on http://www.emiratesvillage.com
you are bound to find what you want.
If not, post a free ad stating what you need and someone is bound to get back to you.
mr_mo
Dubai Forum User

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum