Racism Issue

Topic locked
Racism Issue Nov 29, 2006
Hi,

First of all, the words here aren't pointed to the whole arab community, but to only racist people.

Second of all, no offence, i'm just askin WHY?

Here's how it is...

By arab i mean all the countries in the gulf... UAE local as well.

I've been born and raised in this country... i've seen a lot of racist people around here... specially locals, lebanese, jordanian, egyptian and syrian.

I have a lot of local friends, it seems they carry a strong hatred for the sub continental people (indian, pakistani and bangali).... for example...

once i (bangali) and a friend of mine (pakistani)... were hanging out together in Al wahda, sharjah... we were sitting by a building, an arab lady (egyptian) came by to park her car... and she started yelling at us without any reason... she even swore at us... i asked her what was our fault... she didn't reply to that and kept on yelling, a minute or two later, her husband came and he joined her in yelling at us, he even threatened us about the police... later i asked her husband what did we do? he didn't agree with us to reply and kept on swearing... so i had to yell at him too... we couldn't do anything, because he was a aged man... i respected his elderness and we left...

there are several cases like this one... happened with me...

once an arab guy swore at my community... he said "you bangalies are rotten people"... its totally racism...

once i had a job interview... i went there and it was a perfect interview... but they rejected me... they hired an egyptian, although i had more education and expirience than him. they said they'll call me after the interview... the next day i go there and see they hired an egyptian guy.

once i went to pay my electricity bill, the amount was 480 dhs... i only had 450 dhs. in hand... i went to the elec. payment office... and asked if i can pay 450 dhs. the employee was an arab, he denied and said to talk with the manager... while another arab (egyptian) man arrived and asked the same question, he had a bill for 1100 dhs. he asked if he can pay 800 dhs... he allowed that stupid to pay the half amount of his bill and leave the rest, he didn't even ask him to talk to the manager like he asked me... i was clueless...????

what are you guys' point of view?

aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Racism Issue Nov 29, 2006
aquarian wrote:Hi,

First of all, the words here aren't pointed to the whole arab community, but to only racist people.

Second of all, no offence, i'm just askin WHY?

Here's how it is...

I've been born and raised in this country... i've seen a lot of racist people around here... specially locals, lebanese, jordanian, egyptian and syrian.

Hope that morocco is not with this country

....an arab lady (egyptian) came by to park her car... and she started yelling at us without any reason... she even swore at us... i asked her what was our fault...

Your fault was , you didn't have to shutup and let her yell at you

........ same question, he had a bill for 1100 dhs. he asked if he can pay 800 dhs... he allowed that stupid to pay the half amount of his bill and leave the rest, he didn't even ask him to talk to the manager like he asked me... i was clueless...????

Yeps it's totaly racists

hope you're doing good
redmatrice
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 29, 2006
:lol:

no, i haven't seen moroccan people doing so... :wink:
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

aquarian wrote:Hi,

there are several cases like this one... happened with me... and besides, arabs are now known as terrorists internationally.

My point of view is that your statement that arabs are now known as terrorists internationally is quite harsh and also racist in itself. There are terrorists of many nationalities (read your African history and also from Indonesia, East Timor and other South Pacific countries).

Perhaps you should accept that where ever you go in this world you will encounter people who are openly intolerant to other races and cultures. Perhaps the people you encountered are plain rude, which also quite common in gov. admin offices worldwide :)

My opinion? If you dont like living in the UAE, then leave. The grass is not greener on the other side, believe me.

Personally I like it here and have never had problems with locals, in fact the opposite, and the ones I do know are actually very kind to their staff and respectful to other races.

You have had a bad experience it seems. However, slandering Arabs as internationally known terrorists in an open forum will perhaps not win you many friends or sympathy.

My 0.02cents.
island_sands
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

sorry Nov 29, 2006
I'm really sorry if that sentence i wrote was wrong. I'll remove it immediately!

Believe it or not, i've seen and met several people from different countries... i've never experienced such behaviour from them. that's why i took it that way... as a matter of fact, there are many local people i know... they aren't like that... instead, they too think and share the same thought as i do...

by the way, i'm not a beggar, so i'll not accept your 0.02 cents... :D
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

My opinion? If you dont like living in the UAE, then leave. The grass is not greener on the other side, believe me.

WOW. I think those plucky mexicans and Muslims/Arabs that come to the United States and complain about racism and discrimination should just leave. Who are they to demand equality?
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Answers in Red :wink: :wink:

aquarian wrote:Here's how it is...

once i (bangali) and a friend of mine (pakistani)... were hanging out together in Al wahda, sharjah... we were sitting by a building, an arab lady (egyptian) came by to park her car... and she started yelling at us without any reason... she even swore at us... I would have told her to STFUi asked her what was our fault... she didn't reply to that and kept on yelling, a minute or two later, her husband came and he joined her in yelling at us, he even threatened us about the police I would have told him to STFU, hit him and then said, now call the police... later i asked her husband what did we do? he didn't agree with us to reply and kept on swearing... so i had to yell at him too... we couldn't do anything, because he was a aged man... i respected his elderness and we left...He was not bothered about age, why should you be

there are several cases like this one... happened with me...

once an arab guy swore at my community... he said "you bangalies are rotten people"... its totally racism...

once i went to pay my electricity bill, the amount was 480 dhs... i only had 450 dhs. in hand... i went to the elec. payment office... and asked if i can pay 450 dhs. the employee was an arab, he denied and said to talk with the manager... while another arab (egyptian) man arrived and asked the same question, he had a bill for 1100 dhs. he asked if he can pay 800 dhs... he allowed that stupid to pay the half amount of his bill and leave the rest, he didn't even ask him to talk to the manager like he asked me... i was clueless...????shit like this happens all the time so get used to it, Dubai is a hypocritical society with two sets of laws

What you have written happens every day and will continue to happen until something is done. What that is I have no idea. I think that perhaps there are more "good ones" than "bad ones".[/b]
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2006
LOL :lol:

If i had hit that man, then there would be no difference between him and me... may be one day those people will understand that they were wrong.

i believe that egyptian couple were really mentally disturbed of their lives. so they took out their wrath on us.

if yelling at us helped them calm down, then i'm glad i had been a use of help to them. :D
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 29, 2006
From the way they drive you should know their culture and character...

No comments, I am living in others land.
Sunray
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2006
absolutely... they drive like the road was made by their fathers. and when they make a wrong turn while driving and you PEEP them... they yell back at you saying WHAT!??
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

hey Nov 29, 2006
maza diya :D
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 29, 2006
aquarian wrote:absolutely... they drive like the road was made by their fathers. and when they make a wrong turn while driving and you PEEP them... they yell back at you saying WHAT!??

Who is they??
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: hey Nov 29, 2006
hack88 wrote:maza diya :D

kitna maza diyaa... :D
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 29, 2006
sage & onion wrote:Who is they??

By THEY, i mean egyptians.
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

Nov 29, 2006
agolakkkk ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hahahaha
hack88
Dubai Expat Helper

Nov 29, 2006
hack88 wrote:agolakkkk ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hahahaha

Why not in English Hack??
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 29, 2006
HEY!!! hack, did you use the time-machine again??? i guess you went to the stone age era... that's why your talking that way.
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

valkyrie wrote:

WOW. I think those plucky mexicans and Muslims/Arabs that come to the United States and complain about racism and discrimination should just leave. Who are they to demand equality?

thats why its called "land of the free" right?
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
aquarian just curious, what is your nationality?
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 29, 2006
bengoli zam
easternjewel

Nov 29, 2006
I can't imagine what would happen if all the subcontinentals and east asians suddenly leave dubai...
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 29, 2006
yujinn wrote:I can't imagine what would happen if all the subcontinentals and east asians suddenly leave dubai...

Thats easy, everything would stop :cry:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 29, 2006
zam wrote:aquarian just curious, what is your nationality?

You obviously do not read what has been written in the previous posts! :roll:
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2006
We had a discussion about this in class the other day. Why many locals see people from the subcontinent as a lower class than us. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

I find it interesting how some posting on this forum see this country as being completely racist and unfair, yet you still are here. Why not leave?

Also, those who do hold those feelings make it a point to say that this country would be nothing if it weren't for 'their' people... so why not leave and better your own country if 'your' people are so skilled?

I am not denying that racisim does not exist here; it does. If you have a good family name, you'll have it a little easier in some cases. If you drive a nice car, have a nice number, dress nicely, keep nice company - regardless of what nationality you are - people will look at you differently.

There is no difference between the UAE and for example, the US...you think that racisim doesnt happen in the US? You really think that everyone is treated equally? Do you really think your name, your wealth, your position in the community, your NATIONALITY (or even your background heritage) doesnt affect how you will be treated?

I chose the US because I lived there and worked there. So I feel I can say that, because I have seen these kinds of things happen there... like I said, it doesnt matter where you live, racisim is everywhere. so suck it up and keep going; if you dont like it -- then go do what you want, make your country a better place rather than help a racist country.

Also, I find your comments about arabs to be racist -- so what does that make you?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
You are right Bushra, Racism is all over the world, and to be honest I have found that the USA is the worst for this. Here in UAE, you are correct, if we don't like it we have a choice.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 29, 2006
But...
In the US, take away a particular race and the country will still survive. Here, take away a particular race- let's see how the country can handle that.
Racism here is so defined unlike that in other countries such as the US.
I don't know who will continue buldling those buildings if the indians and pakistanis leave.
This of course is only my observation.

And regarding why not leave this country, you know the answer to that question. These people are desperate, you know that. And you also know that leaving would not be a choice because of their desperation. And what do humans usually do to their desperate brothers? They take advantage of them, and then ask the same 'why not leave' question to them. :roll:
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:We had a discussion about this in class the other day. Why many locals see people from the subcontinent as a lower class than us. It was an interesting conversation to say the least.

I find it interesting how some posting on this forum see this country as being completely racist and unfair, yet you still are here. Why not leave?

Also, those who do hold those feelings make it a point to say that this country would be nothing if it weren't for 'their' people... so why not leave and better your own country if 'your' people are so skilled?

I am not denying that racisim does not exist here; it does. If you have a good family name, you'll have it a little easier in some cases. If you drive a nice car, have a nice number, dress nicely, keep nice company - regardless of what nationality you are - people will look at you differently.

There is no difference between the UAE and for example, the US...you think that racisim doesnt happen in the US? You really think that everyone is treated equally? Do you really think your name, your wealth, your position in the community, your NATIONALITY (or even your background heritage) doesnt affect how you will be treated?

I chose the US because I lived there and worked there. So I feel I can say that, because I have seen these kinds of things happen there... like I said, it doesnt matter where you live, racisim is everywhere. so suck it up and keep going; if you dont like it -- then go do what you want, make your country a better place rather than help a racist country.

Also, I find your comments about arabs to be racist -- so what does that make you?

typical Arab response. dont like leave blah blah.. Racism is everywhere, so just be a little nice... & you did not however answer the Question. why do Arab people see subconti as lower class?
I love this country & in many cases I defend it. I also am not ashamed to point out the draw backs in my country (population, corruption etc)
No one here said that people from subcont working here mainly as the labour class are skilled* but think about it. All the highclass* arabs would have to substitute their place, of building houses (in extreme UAE climate, lets not even get to the wages issue & exploitation) cleaning toilets roads & so on if one day all this people did leave.
It is sad how you guys can talk when you know some of these people do not have an option to leave this place.. and even if they did, other cheap labour from the subcont could be replaced easily.

It is not right to justify any wrong action by saying it happens everywhere. The solution would be to change the attitudes of people.

I need to plagerize S&O's signature...(aswell)
easternjewel

Nov 29, 2006
yujinn wrote:But...
In the US, take away a particular race and the country will still survive. Here, take away a particular race- let's see how the country can handle that.
Racism here is so defined unlike that in other countries such as the US.
I don't know who will continue buldling those buildings if the indians and pakistanis leave.
This of course is only my observation.

And regarding why not leave this country, you know the answer to that question. These people are desperate, you know that. And you also know that leaving would not be a choice because of their desperation. And what do humans usually do to their desperate brothers? They take advantage of them, and then ask the same 'why not leave' question to them. :roll:

Interesting, however in my expereince here the lower paid workers are completely taken advantage of their higher paid bosses, who are of the same nationality by the way.

The other interesting thing is, if you go to India, Pakistan, Philipines, Thailand, Bangladesh, Nepal to recruit labour, the lines are endless, so got to be something good about the place.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 29, 2006
sage & onion wrote:You are right Bushra, Racism is all over the world, and to be honest I have found that the USA is the worst for this. Here in UAE, you are correct, if we don't like it we have a choice.

^ yes Sage, you have a choice, but for the desparate ones don't. So asking them "why not leave?" is also telling them "Let's see leave! I know you can't because you'll starve, so shut up and bear with the racism!"
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Nov 29, 2006
easternjewel wrote:
bushra21 wrote:I need to plagerize S&O's signature...(aswell)

It's actually something I have believed in all my life, and I strive to treat everyone as an equal, unfortunately many here don't, but hey thats up to them, I will fight my own personal fight and feel good in myself.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums