Racism Issue

Topic locked
Nov 29, 2006
Val, thank you for responding to the issue at hand.

I have a feeling that no matter what I say, it will go in one ear and out the other with some posters on here.

How about I just say what yall want to hear then. Would that make you happy?

You guys are saying that people here ignore that these issues are present here, yet when I admit that they are, only one or two senteces are snatched up by your eyes.

You think yall are going to change how things work by not changing yourselves? You are wrong...

bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
What you said it that people that are discriminated against should move back to wherever they came from. That is a textbook example of racist sentiment in the US. Do you think that hispanic workers that come to America and complain about job discrimination should just move back?
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Nov 29, 2006
I hate to be a total thread Nazi, but this doesn't belong in general chat.

I'd pm a moderator, but I'd rather abuse you guys.

Asshats.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:
I never said that racisim never occured here. I never said it wasnt a problem. I never said that it was right...so how am I stopping anyone. I share my opinions just as everyone else on this issue..that is all.

You are right, it isn't my duty to tell people to leave to be happy. But, if someone isn't happy here then why stay somewhere that has that effect on them. But just as you have the right to say what you feel, I believe I hold that same right as well.

I like how you feel you can express your opinions, but when someone doesn't agree with yours you will either openly belittle them or indirectly do so.

So u've experience it here itself a lot of times? and is that the reason y u r off to US again..? or u dropped the plan..? and hey isnt it bad of privileged people to consider that even those in the poorer section of the economy n living can leave the place n go .. after having done all the hardwork to get in here..

I know hundreds of people... who have come into gulf seeking a better living.... many of them 've all their belongings, their house n place n everything kept under mortgage to pay up the agents who get them here... n do u think its easy for them to go as well?

and again if u understood my posts... i said.. its highly necessary in a society like dubai to keep a check on factors like racism to make it a progressive society.
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: sorry Nov 29, 2006
aquarian wrote:I'm really sorry if that sentence i wrote was wrong. I'll remove it immediately!

Believe it or not, i've seen and met several people from different countries... i've never experienced such behaviour from them. that's why i took it that way... as a matter of fact, there are many local people i know... they aren't like that... instead, they too think and share the same thought as i do...

by the way, i'm not a beggar, so i'll not accept your 0.02 cents... :D

hehehe nice answer :)

I'm a bit broke right now so i'll share my two cents with ya ;)

the way you were treated and the things you experienced are not right i agree. i just thought the terrorist thing was a bit harsh :)

anyway, i see this discussion is becoming wayyyy to political (i hate politics) so i'm outa this one

have a good one and ignore those are ignorant of those who are equal.

(read sage and onions signature - we are all red inside).

not a truer word spoken.
cheers
Sara
island_sands
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Nov 29, 2006
valkyrie wrote:What you said it that people that are discriminated against should move back to wherever they came from. That is a textbook example of racist sentiment in the US. Do you think that hispanic workers that come to America and complain about job discrimination should just move back?

Look up White Guilt, and replace White with Arab.

That is not what I said...I said if it that person doesnt feel like they can live the life they want here, or they arent happy, or for whatever reason they do no like living in a certain country than they should go somewhere else.

yes st.lucifer, i have experienced a lot of racism here. why? surprised? and no val, it is not jusitifed resentment, or predjudice...it is racism.

I am moving to the U.S. for reasons that dont really concern you, but if you must know, it is because I want to pursue my education and I didnt find anything that suited me here.

I never considered myself a 'privileged' individual. sure, perhaps here i have it a bit easier on occasion thanks to my mum's family status...but that isnt how i was raised. do you honestly think a privileged individual would work four minimum wage jobs just to be able to support themselves and get an education. i know how it is to struggle for things and work hard. just because now i may have things a bit easier does not mean i dont understand what others who are less fortunate go through. i have been working since i was 13 years old to help support my brother and sister-- i know what the meaning of hard work is. i know how hard it is to take risks when you cant financially afford to...but sometimes, those risks are necessary.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote:I never considered myself a 'privileged' individual. sure, perhaps here i have it a bit easier on occasion thanks to my mum's family status

Am I to believe that the average UAE citizen drives around in a mercedes, or has three full time maids? Whatever you consider yourself, you are much more privilidged than the sudcontinent workers that you so maturely put it should "leave and better your own country if 'your' people are so skilled?"

And how exactly have you been discriminated against? Did your employers in the UAE deny you a job? Do they pay you less than southeast Asian workers? I just don't buy that you have gone through racism here, at least not anything comparable to non Arab workers.
valkyrie
Dubai chat master

Nov 29, 2006
valkyrie wrote:
bushra21 wrote:I never considered myself a 'privileged' individual. sure, perhaps here i have it a bit easier on occasion thanks to my mum's family status

Am I to believe that the average UAE citizen drives around in a mercedes, honestly, no...they drive the porsche and ferrari and bmw's or has three full time maids? i dont have three full time maids, i dont even have one at the moment Whatever you consider yourself, you are much more privilidged than the sudcontinent workers that you so maturely put it should "leave and better your own country if 'your' people are so skilled?" i like how you take things i say out of context

And how exactly have you been discriminated against? Did your employers in the UAE deny you a job? yes Do they pay you less than southeast Asian workers? at my last job yes, and initially at this job until i fought with the manager I just don't buy that you have gone through racism here, at least not anything comparable to non Arab workers. doesnt racism count as racism anywhere you are

if i may point out, it is not only the indian workers that have it hard here, what about the lebanese or syrian or palestinian or jordanians...they are treated like shit here -- sometimes even worse than the indian workers. why aren't they speaking out?

also, my comment to moving out was not only for the subcontinent workers...it was for anyone in general
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Racism Issue Nov 29, 2006
yorky500 wrote:Answers in Red :wink: :wink:

What you have written happens every day and will continue to happen until something is done. What that is I have no idea.

Actually, this place simply needs a Martin Luther King. Except that he'd get deported in 2 days.

And for some reason, I found Bushra's story of hardship and pain a little unrealistic. It needed more sex and violence to make it more believable.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 29, 2006
I am glad this thread end up in Philo forum instead of (the usual) in fight club. This is
GOOD PROGRESS
. :D

Shafique (i hope) will be glad too, seeing new nicks in his very own forum. :D

Keep it up DFers!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

gtmash wrote:

What you have written happens every day and will continue to happen until something is done. What that is I have no idea.

Actually, this place simply needs a Martin Luther King. Except that he'd get deported in 2 days.

And for some reason, I found Bushra's story of hardship and pain a little unrealistic. It needed more fun and violence to make it more believable.

The only part I thought was true was the not eating for a week or two :roll:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
bushra21 wrote: if i may point out, it is not only the indian workers that have it hard here, what about the lebanese or syrian or palestinian or jordanians...they are treated like shit here -- sometimes even worse than the indian workers. why aren't they speaking out?

also, my comment to moving out was not only for the subcontinent workers...it was for anyone in general

I think the horse died a while ago but the point is that to simply say "if you don't like it move" [my own quotes] misses the point. The original poster made a comment regarding racism and it is agreed by all who have posted that it exists (here and everywhere). He also made a racist comment in the same post.

Bushra, when you go back to the States to study, and you experience racism (as it seems you will) how would you feel when someone says "if you don't like it move"?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
Concord wrote:
bushra21 wrote: if i may point out, it is not only the indian workers that have it hard here, what about the lebanese or syrian or palestinian or jordanians...they are treated like shit here -- sometimes even worse than the indian workers. why aren't they speaking out?

I think the horse died a while ago but the point is that to simply say "if you don't like it move" [my own quotes] misses the point. The original poster made a comment regarding racism and it is agreed by all who have posted that it exists (here and everywhere). He also made a racist comment in the same post.

Bushra, when you go back to the States to study, and you experience racism (as it seems you will) how would you feel when someone says "if you don't like it move"?

I already have been told that.

I dont really care if yall believe me or not about what i said, I only used myself as an example because that is what I could honestly say I was sure of 100%.

gtmash...are you joking? I guess I need to incorporate more s e x and violence then... ( I dont get that point though)
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Concord wrote:
gtmash wrote:

And for some reason, I found Bushra's story of hardship and pain a little unrealistic. It needed more fun and violence to make it more believable.

The only part I thought was true was the not eating for a week or two :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 29, 2006
Concord wrote:Bushra, when you go back to the States to study, and you experience racism (as it seems you will) how would you feel when someone says "if you don't like it move"?

may I answer this??

Bushy will move to the UK.
easternjewel
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 29, 2006
easternjewel wrote:
Concord wrote:Bushra, when you go back to the States to study, and you experience racism (as it seems you will) how would you feel when someone says "if you don't like it move"?

may I answer this??

She said she was moving to New York!!!!!!!
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Wow i'm so late , page 6 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hey Yorky the answers are notttt in meeeeeeeeeeeeee :lol:
redmatrice
Dubai Expat Helper

Hey bushra Nov 29, 2006
yo bushra...

what if your government took away your passport and asked you to leave this country ? where would you go? it's just an example... you would've no place to go... so do we... we are born and raised in this country... we don't have any where else to go to.

by the way, you say you don't own a maid or something like that... its completely normal... i've seen several local families not having maids.

and as far as local hardships concern... i have never seen a local in my entire life who is on low wage or facing great problems... people are afraid of locals here instead... no man is stupid enough to give a local some problem.

half of UAE citizens are iranis (kalati, blushi, minawi etc)... they're the most at holding UAE passports... the original UAE locals are resided in fujeira, umm al quwain, ras al khaima, etc.
they don't like to stay in the cities, they're happy in the country side.
people here in umm al quwain are so friendly, open-minded, repectful... and they too share the same thought as i do. im talking about the original locals... not iranis holding passports.

so these iranis ruined every goddamn environment...
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Hey bushra Nov 29, 2006
aquarian wrote:yo bushra...

what if your government took away your passport and asked you to leave this country ? where would you go? it's just an example... you would've no place to go... so do we... we are born and raised in this country... we don't have any where else to go to.

by the way, you say you don't own a maid or something like that... its completely normal... i've seen several local families not having maids.

and as far as local hardships concern... i have never seen a local in my entire life who is on low wage or facing great problems... people are afraid of locals here instead... no man is stupid enough to give a local some problem.

half of UAE citizens are iranis (kalati, blushi, minawi etc)... they're the most at holding UAE passports... the original UAE locals are resided in fujeira, umm al quwain, ras al khaima, etc.
people here in umm al quwain are so friendly, open-minded, repectful... and they too share the same thought as i do. im talking about the original locals... not iranis holding passports.

so again you start with the racist remarks?

there is no point in me saying anything here because most are complaining about racism and closed minded people, but when I even make one post you look for the negative and drop everything else...

what makes you different from any of the others you are speaking of?
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 29, 2006
sage & onion wrote:
easternjewel wrote:

may I answer this??

She said she was moving to New York!!!!!!!

EJ if you had bothered to read my post I already did answer that question. I said I had already had people tell me that...most of my life really. And no I wouldn't complain about the country to them but just them bluntly tell me that I dont belong here and I should leave and go back to my own country...

I lived in the UK, and I have to say, I would take the US over the UK any day of the week.

Sage, I am still moving to New York.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Hey bushra Nov 29, 2006
aquarian wrote:yo bushra...

Aquarian, im quite disappointed at you now. You seem to don't like everyone. Why don't you take a look at your previous posts - you clearly mentioned there some nationalities and now IRANIS (holding local passports). Who's next man? :roll:

hmm.. let me guess... IRAQI? :D
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 30, 2006
bushra,

My comment was never meant to belittle or disrespect you! Please stop it with the sensitivity. I do think that people that cross that line and tell others to just move somewhere else if they don't like it here are suffering from delusional entitlement issues and aren't seeing the individuals for what they and their situations are.

I am interested in knowing what answer you give to Americans that have told you to go home when in their country. What can you possibly tell them? And why go back? You have a necessity, a very personal decision that you've made, that makes you want to go back and study, despite the hardships right? Well girl, you yourself prove a point against what you're arguing about.

Also, I don't think people here are ganging up against you, there's a consensus of opinion here and it's worth listening to it, don't you think?
freza
Dubai chat master

Nov 30, 2006
freza wrote:bushra,

My comment was never meant to belittle or disrespect you! Please stop it with the sensitivity. I do think that people that cross that line and tell others to just move somewhere else if they don't like it here are suffering from delusional entitlement issues and aren't seeing the individuals for what they and their situations are.

I am interested in knowing what answer you give to Americans that have told you to go home when in their country. What can you possibly tell them? And why go back? You have a necessity, a very personal decision that you've made, that makes you want to go back and study, despite the hardships right? Well girl, you yourself prove a point against what you're arguing about.

Also, I don't think people here are ganging up against you, there's a consensus of opinion here and it's worth listening to it, don't you think?

Freza,

I'm a sensitive person, what can I say...please dont tell me what to do. I mean, you dont like it when people tell others what to do correct?

Do you get my point that I am trying to make. Everyone gives their opinion, or offers a solution to any situation. I am not directly telling anyone to leave. All I say is if they dont think they can live the life they want to here, then they should go somewhere where they think they can have a better life. I dont tell them they have to go. I simply put the option out there. I dont suffer from any delusional entitlement issues. I have had people here tell me to go back to where I come from .

Because to be honest, I am not really local. neither am i really an american, or a palestinian. That is the problem with being from a mixed heritage; others dont really consider you to be a part of their community. So I do understand from most aspects how difficult leaving may be for some.

What I tell the Americans...you really want to know. I say, I'll think about it. It's their opinion, let them say it. I dont force my opinions on anyone. I dont force people to do anything.

Going back to the states was my last decision, I had looked in Europe, the UK, the Middle East, and came to the realization that I would be better off completing my degree there.

I understand where you are comming from and have realized that most hold a certain opinion. But that doesn't mean I have to change my thoughts because the majority believes in another thing does it? I mean, essentially, I am saying the same thing as everyone else...just a bit differently.

Just because the majority believes or follows something -- doesnt make it right.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 30, 2006
bushra, you're quite hopeless, I think you let your emotions dictate what you say way too much.

I wasn't explicitly telling you what to do, it's a matter of speech, you know? Anyway, there's a lot of irony in what you state when compared to what you defend, but I don't think you're able to see this.

I'm a believer in not following the herd, but when racism is so prevalent in a place like Dubai, who really is the herd here?

bye
freza
Dubai chat master

Nov 30, 2006
freza wrote:bushra, you're quite hopeless, I think you let your emotions dictate what you say way too much.

I wasn't explicitly telling you what to do, it's a matter of speech, you know? Anyway, there's a lot of irony in what you state when compared to what you defend, but I don't think you're able to see this.

I'm a believer in not following the herd, but when racism is so prevalent in a place like Dubai, who really is the herd here?

bye

you could be right. i havent really been in a 'thinking' mood lately.

i just wanted to add though, that i knew you didnt really mean what you said, i was just trying to show something; but i guess i went about the wrong way of doing it. either way...i know racism is a big issue here in the uae, it needs to be addressed just like it does everywhere else. hopefully one day it will all be settled.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 30, 2006
bushra21 wrote:you know...this whole racisim crap just really makes me laugh.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 30, 2006
Concord wrote:
bushra21 wrote:you know...this whole racisim crap just really makes me laugh.

:shock:
Where this came from? 8)
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 30, 2006
the post in the black list section...where the guy was saying that dubai should be put on the black list.

and ill say it again. this whole racism crap situation is making me laugh.

so what are you trying to say concord...

ive gotten sick of reading about racism all the time on here. every week we have someone bringing up the issue.

yes people, racism occurs in dubai, we know this.
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

sorry Nov 30, 2006
Well... if im wrong, then im ready to apologize at any moment... if you people think i should apologize to someone, then i'll be happy to do that.

hey bushra, i'm sorry... i wrote things that was in my point of view... but i can asure you, that nothing is personal. no hard feelings.

you know what? i don't care... let people do what they want... i'll lead my life as i want, i think that's the best solution.
aquarian
Dubai Forums Member

Re: sorry Nov 30, 2006
aquarian wrote:Well... if im wrong, then im ready to apologize at any moment... if you people think i should apologize to someone, then i'll be happy to do that.

hey bushra, i'm sorry... i wrote things that was in my point of view... but i can asure you, that nothing is personal. no hard feelings.

you know what? i don't care... let people do what they want... i'll lead my life as i want, i think that's the best solution.

I don't think you need to apologize for anything other than you have already done (with respect to the "terrorist") comments.

Your statement..."let people do what they want...I'll lead my life as I want" is counter to the entire discussion about racism. To the extent any of us can do anything to stop it (even a post) then we should do it. Otherswise you will not be able to "lead [your] life as [you] want" as racism and racists may prevent you from doing just that.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums