Sharia Law / Uk ?

Topic locked
  • Reply
Sharia Law / Uk ? Feb 22, 2008
Would like to know any opinions of the hottest topic in the UK at the moment regarding incorporating Sharia Law into the UK Legal Framework.

Personally i think it sucks. Whether or not you support Sharia Law, whether muslim or not my opinion is the unfair weighting the law gives to the male.

British Law is based on the fact everyone is equal regarless of race, religion, colour, creed or s.e.x.u.a.l bias, male or female. Sharia Law does not.

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
User avatar
Posts: 7007
Location: UK/Dubai

  • Reply
Re: Sharia Law / Uk ? Feb 22, 2008
arniegang wrote:Would like to know any opinions of the hottest topic in the UK at the moment regarding incorporating Sharia Law into the UK Legal Framework.

Personally i think it sucks. Whether or not you support Sharia Law, whether muslim or not my opinion is the unfair weighting the law gives to the male.

British Law is based on the fact everyone is equal regarless of race, religion, colour, creed or s.e.x.u.a.l bias, male or female. Sharia Law does not.


lol i m amazed that the top geezar in the christianty circles of UK is considering the sharia law.. hmmmm i guess it does say alot about islam and some ppl do like the idea of the sharia law. wow i am amazed but it wont happen. but if it does who knows it might be good for the country :D.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot
Posts: 3309

  • Reply
Re: Sharia Law / Uk ? Feb 22, 2008
rudeboy wrote:
arniegang wrote:Would like to know any opinions of the hottest topic in the UK at the moment regarding incorporating Sharia Law into the UK Legal Framework.

Personally i think it sucks. Whether or not you support Sharia Law, whether muslim or not my opinion is the unfair weighting the law gives to the male.

British Law is based on the fact everyone is equal regarless of race, religion, colour, creed or s.e.x.u.a.l bias, male or female. Sharia Law does not.


lol i m amazed that the top geezar in the christianty circles of UK is considering the sharia law.. hmmmm i guess it does say alot about islam and some ppl do like the idea of the sharia law. wow i am amazed but it wont happen. but if it does who knows it might be good for the country :D.


i am trying to work out whether your post contains some sarcasm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
User avatar
Posts: 7007
Location: UK/Dubai

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
British law should always be paramount.

However, Sharia law has already been implemented under British law - it happened in the 19th century in India where allowance was made for Sharia to have a part under British law.

Also, the Beth Din - Jewish councils have a status under British law and Jews can choose to go to these to decide issues such as Divorce. The archbishop was saying that this type of implementation of Shariah law in civil law is 'inevitable' - and in fact is already taking place. Matters of divorce can be dealt with a Sharia council in the UK when both parties choose to do so.

Also, the law HAS ALREADY been changed to allow Islamic mortgages (which are shariah compliant) - so the questioni is what aspects of Sharia are going to be allowed in the UK, not 'if'.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 13442

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
shafique wrote:British law should always be paramount.

However, Sharia law has already been implemented under British law - it happened in the 19th century in India where allowance was made for Sharia to have a part under British law.

Also, the Beth Din - Jewish councils have a status under British law and Jews can choose to go to these to decide issues such as Divorce. The archbishop was saying that this type of implementation of Shariah law in civil law is 'inevitable' - and in fact is already taking place. Matters of divorce can be dealt with a Sharia council in the UK when both parties choose to do so.

Also, the law HAS ALREADY been changed to allow Islamic mortgages (which are shariah compliant) - so the questioni is what aspects of Sharia are going to be allowed in the UK, not 'if'.

Cheers,
Shafique


honestly speaking being a muslim i dont think they should implement the sharia law. england has its own rules and laws and muslims should abide by them. like here in UAE or Saudi expats especially from Europe or USA should abide by the sharia law because you live in muslim country and shouldnt make a fuss about it. because the muslims havent been making a fuss for AGEEEEEEEES about englands laws so y do expats who go to other countries like UAE make a huge fuss about the laws and rules and customs of this country?? y?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot
Posts: 3309

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
rudeboy wrote:honestly speaking being a muslim i dont think they should implement the sharia law. england has its own rules and laws and muslims should abide by them. like here in UAE or Saudi expats especially from Europe or USA should abide by the sharia law because you live in muslim country and shouldnt make a fuss about it. because the muslims havent been making a fuss for AGEEEEEEEES about englands laws so y do expats who go to other countries like UAE make a huge fuss about the laws and rules and customs of this country?? y?


I agree - when in another country do as its done there. If you live in the Gulf then live by Sharia even if it means having to get married before you live with your other half and if you live in the UK then bide by the UK's laws, even if you want an Islamic Divorce (whatever that consists of).
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master
Posts: 784
Location: Inbetween the the two big cranes.

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
jabbajabba its a shame though that some expats would come to this country and critise about UAES laws and rules and traditions. And we have seen various members post links of incidents innvolving the sharia law in UAE or Saudi.

although i would luv to see sharia law in uk :D but dont think it would happen.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot
Posts: 3309

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
The thing is Jabba - the law continues to evolve.

Under British law of the past, women weren't allowed to vote, own property etc. If you didn't own land, you weren't allowed a vote.

I'm not sure if it's been removed from the statute yet, but a Catholic was not allowed to be a king or queen of the UK.

As the law evolves, why should it not reflect the wishes of the citizens of the country - if a suitably large minority want certain laws and providing these laws do not violate the rights of others, why not?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 13442

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
I agree with Shaf,
Tolerance toward other cultures or religions is the best solutions (despite some extremes)

I believe that the French headscarf ban in schools is ridiculous as the laws regarding expats here.
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter
User avatar
Posts: 134

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
spoonman wrote:I believe that the French headscarf ban in schools is ridiculous as the laws regarding expats here.


i actually find that very surprising, the french are some of the most open minded when it comes to this, and has a huge muslim community... of all places i wouldnt have picked to implement this, france would top that list.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper
Posts: 518

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
I'ms sorry ebonics, English is not my first language. From your post I get that you meant I shouldn't have criticized French because there are more open minded than others. why? does that entitle them to a have little hatred/racism/intolerance?

If they drop this law, it doesn't change a damn thing except a few people can dress by the way they believe is correct.

I lived most of my life in Iran, which forces women to wear Hijab everytime regardless of their religion or belief. I find the french rule twice stupid as it comes from open-minded people, not shit-headed radicals.
spoonman
Dubai Forums Frequenter
User avatar
Posts: 134

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
i meant that the french are usually very tolerant to such things, and never pass such prejudice on anyone... they open their country to people from north africa and africa freely, and islam was an accepted part of french culture in many parts of paris.


hence the decision above is a little surprising.
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper
Posts: 518

  • Reply
Feb 22, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe French bans veveryhting that has to do with religion at public schools. Also necklaces with crosses are forbidden and jews are not allowed to wear the Kippa. It is not a ban against Muslims in particular.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot
Posts: 3792
Location: Dubai

  • Reply
Feb 23, 2008
I find it more strange that Turkey has a ban on headscarf's at school.

I don't agree with the ban of Religious clothing or jewelery in school (namely the headscar or a crucifix) as long as it does not completely override the uniform itself - such as a burqa.

But it should go for all forms of expression - I mean as much she is a mess now, think of what we would have missed out on if Britney had been told to go home and change her skirt and take the pigtails out during the hit me one more time video - That would have been against my faith.
jabbajabba
Dubai chat master
Posts: 784
Location: Inbetween the the two big cranes.

  • Reply
Feb 24, 2008
Any law that is determined by a religion is wrong.

Although sharia law would certainly be an improvement on the current system in the UK.

rudeboy,
I don't see how it would undermine the current laws since it seems to be stricter and could act as a subset to the current system.

arnie,
Most of the unfair weighting towards males is due to cultural differences and not the law. If the laws were applied in a british court, perhaps the gender bias that exists in Dubai would not occur.
I am a bit naive, but I havn't seen any evidence that FORCES the judge to impose harsher penalties on women. The only thing that I have heard of as law is that woman are worth 100,000 dirhams (1 camel) blood money and men are worth 2 camels.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers
User avatar
Posts: 1503

  • Reply
Feb 24, 2008
Ben

How can you remove a cultural difference when incorporating Sharia Law into the British system.

If it was, it would no longer be sharia law and therefore no point in incorporating it.

THe British Legal constitution would never allow cultural differences.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts
User avatar
Posts: 7007
Location: UK/Dubai

  • Reply
Feb 24, 2008
I see what you mean arnie.
Cultural values strengthen sharia law in many ways and also make it unfair in others.
Obviously the law would only apply to muslims...
Perhaps the arch bishop has an Ulterior motive to get all of the british muslims stoned to death?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers
User avatar
Posts: 1503

  • Reply
Feb 24, 2008
benwj wrote:Any law that is determined by a religion is wrong..



that is how i see it

politics and religion should be completely seperated and independant of each other in every single case for the sake of diversity of earth....
ebonics
Dubai Expat Helper
Posts: 518

  • Reply
Feb 25, 2008
arniegang wrote:Ben

How can you remove a cultural difference when incorporating Sharia Law into the British system.

If it was, it would no longer be sharia law and therefore no point in incorporating it.

THe British Legal constitution would never allow cultural differences.


arnie - the British Legal constitution already allows for aspects of Jewish Law and Sharia. These apply to Jews and Muslims who choose to use these aspects of the law.

It is in the choice that you take into account the cultural and religious differences.

Also, you are ignoring the fact that Muslims aren't a homogenous group with one 'culture'. There are African, Asian, European, Chinese etc muslims living in the UK - and you have a growing number of anglo saxon Muslims who by their outward appearance and actions are indistinguishable from other Brits. Taking a leaf from ebonics, here are some videos of people I know personally:



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeqVMLwd ... re=related




And, as I stated before, Sharia has already been implemented under British Law when the British controlled India - so there is a precedent for this and therefore no legal reason why the two are not compatible.

The media hysteria has been well commented on by the media itself (!) - in the same way that some believe Islam to be a religion of violence and hatred, some believe that the incorporation of sharia into British law as advocated by the Archbishop was a call for all Britons to be subject to Muslim law and that we'd be chopping off hands of thieves etc.

Jewish law has stoning to death, but was there any uproar when the Jewish law was incorporated into the British system and Jews were allowed to go to the Jewish courts/councils (Beth Din) as an alternative?

Hmmm.

:?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf
User avatar
Posts: 13442

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Last post