Buddhists In Dubai?

Topic locked
Buddhists in Dubai? Aug 28, 2005
While I understand that the UAE is an officially Islamic country, I was wondering if there might be any Buddhist temples or Buddhist meditation
groups in Dubai.

Any sort of Buddhism would be fine.

EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 28, 2005
there are no buddhist temples in Dubai or the UAE (that i know of) but i do know that some private groups get together at each others houses... maybe have a look on a search engine for dubai?
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

More re Buddhists in Dubai Aug 29, 2005
Thanks for your reply.

I'd be interested in anything Buddhist -- an informal meditation group at somebody's home would be OK, for example.
EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 29, 2005
a bit of googling and i got this :

Association Zen International (AZI) Zen Group - Dubai
Tel: (971 4) 2995152
Mobile : (971 50) 6518042
P.O. Box 30484
Tradition: Soto Zen (Deshimaru)

and here is more info on meditation

http://www.godubai.com/aquarius/article ... 1211&val=2

hope this helps ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 29, 2005
There are some nice churches in Jebel Ali Village :)
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 29, 2005
Are there really churches here? I would hope their were since Muslims proclaim they are so tolerant............. :?
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Are there really churches here? I would hope their were since Muslims proclaim they are so tolerant............. :?

st mary's, and lots of wee ones up in jebel ali
BobbieMasoner
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 31, 2005
Pumpkin Escobar wrote:Are there really churches here? I would hope their were since Muslims proclaim they are so tolerant............. :?

They are tolerant. But Christians are not allowed to speak of the gospel in public or hand out pamplets.
abs
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 31, 2005
Does anyone want to anyway?
Pumpkin Escobar
Dubai chat master

Sep 03, 2005
we got a Jehovah's Witness ? :lol:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

What do Arab Muslims think of Buddhists? Sep 04, 2005
Here's a fairly general question:

What do Arab Muslims esp. locals in Dubai think of Buddhists?

Buddhists have voluminous scriptures (sutra), but I assume that Buddhists would NOT be viewed as being "people of the book."

Could anyone compare typical Arab attitudes on the subject with those of
Southeast Asian Muslims (Malays, etc.)?
EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

Re: What do Arab Muslims think of Buddhists? Sep 28, 2005
EastWestExpat wrote:Here's a fairly general question:

Buddhists have voluminous scriptures (sutra), but I assume that Buddhists would NOT be viewed as being "people of the book."

Southeast Asian Muslims (Malays, etc.)?

-------------------

I'm an Arab, Muslim, and a local from Abu Dhabi.

In my personal perspective I don't think anything in particular of Buddhists. Live and let live, they are free to practice their religion in their counties or in private here in the UAE. The problem would be if they tried to spread their beliefs to others while residing is the Arab world. This would be simply considered insulting and blasphemous.

In an Islamic context, Buddhists have nothing to do with the People of the Book (Muslims, followers of Jesus of Nazareth, the true followers of Moses / Jews, etc...).
samy_solo
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: What do Arab Muslims think of Buddhists? Sep 28, 2005
Dunno if it helps but I should think the largest Buddhist community is the Sri Lankan community here...though I think its a different branch, Theravada(sp?) Buddhism as opposed to Mahayana Buddhism which is practised in the far east...I suppose the attitude towards Buddhism would be the same as towards Hinduism, lots of Indian Hindus here

Here's a fairly general question:

Southeast Asian Muslims (Malays, etc.)
Nik
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Sep 29, 2005
mmmmmmmmm . I wanna build a buddhist kung fu teaching pagoda and charge em sweet monnie. I will keep kung po guards to smash ppl like Liban and trash ppl like pumpkin. :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 02, 2005

Pumkin,

We are tolerant but like any community, tolerance has its limits. We have no objection to anyone practicing their religions in private or within their communities (establishing Churches in compounds).

I don't disrespect anyone's faith and I surely expect the foreign guest in my country not to disrespect ours. An example of this disrespect are the so called "missionaries" who prefer to cowardly target orphans or disadvantaged children who haven’t yet had the chance to discover their own faith. These Neo-Protestants or Evangelists are the real core of the problem in the entire Middle East. In other parts of the Arab world, our Christian Arab brothers have generally lived in hormony with the Muslim community but the ignorant, hostile, and insulting maneuvers from a small group of foreign Christian Fundamentalists are causing great discomfort in our communities.

You speak about Churches, wouldn;t you think it insulting that if a group of Muslims demanded the construction of a Mosque in the streets of Vatican City. If I was a Catholic I would be very shocked.

My advice is that when you come to our country respect our differences. If you come here as a tourist enjoy it and if you come for work / business may God bring prosperity to your venture.
samy_solo
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Peaceful co-existence Oct 07, 2005
Most Buddhists believe in peaceful co-existence and dialog with members of other religions/philosophies including Islam. I have never heard of any Buddhists trying to convert Muslims anywhere. If asked, a Buddhist will explain aspects of Buddhism, but that's normally it.

I've read that there are some parellels between Islam and Buddhism esp. between Sufi and Zen, but I still don't know enough about Islam to comment on those.
EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Peaceful co-existence Oct 09, 2005
EastWestExpat wrote:Most Buddhists believe in peaceful co-existence and dialog with members of other religions/philosophies including Islam. I have never heard of any Buddhists trying to convert Muslims anywhere. If asked, a Buddhist will explain aspects of Buddhism, but that's normally it.

I've read that there are some parellels between Islam and Buddhism esp. between Sufi and Zen, but I still don't know enough about Islam to comment on those.

Then I have advice for u -"SHUT UP" . Cos I have seen many buddists converting to islam. take for example indonesia and malaysia which were buddhists long time ago. And my great ongolian ancestors who practiced shamanism converted to islam. may their soul rest in peace
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sorry Oct 18, 2005
sniper:

If I somehow offended you with any of my comments, then I'm sorry.

I wish to see peace and harmony among all religions.

EastWestExpat
EastWestExpat
Dubai Forums Member

Re: Sorry Oct 21, 2005
EastWestExpat wrote:sniper:

If I somehow offended you with any of my comments, then I'm sorry.

I wish to see peace and harmony among all religions.

EastWestExpat

lol i was just jk buddy. It's cool. I love the religious harmony. :D
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Peaceful co-existence Oct 21, 2005
EastWestExpat wrote:I've read that there are some parellels between Islam and Buddhism esp. between Sufi and Zen, but I still don't know enough about Islam to comment on those.

There is no link. Islam is more than a religion, it is a way of life as presented by God through the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

Sufism is not really part of Islam. Those people drink alcohol and eat pork...
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Peaceful co-existence Oct 23, 2005
Liban wrote:
EastWestExpat wrote:I've read that there are some parellels between Islam and Buddhism esp. between Sufi and Zen, but I still don't know enough about Islam to comment on those.

There is no link. Islam is more than a religion, it is a way of life as presented by God through the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH).

Sufism is not really part of Islam. Those people drink alcohol and eat pork...

not really. Some sufs think they can enlighten themselves by singing hymns. For example there is a surah where there is three times NAs (mean people in arabic). But some sufis mistake that for dance. SO they tell ppl "God asked us to dance morning, evening and night.... :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 03, 2008
Hi there,

Are you still in Dubai?
I just came from Japan, I've been there for 8 years, and I am a Professional Karate and Shakuhachi Instructor. Although both arts are very related to Zen Buddhism, the later art actually has its roots in the Fuke sect of Zen Buddhism.

I am now here in Dubai in the process of establishing myself as both an instructor and performer. Please let me know if this instrument, or rather meditation tool, is of interest. If so, I would be able tell you more about it, and could play it for you to hear if it is of interest.

Sincerely,
Kyle Kamal Helou
Kyle Kamal Helou
UAE, Dubai Forum starter

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums