Americans Protest Against UAE's Slave Labour

Topic locked
Aug 28, 2006
Princess Banana Hammock wrote:I think these protests are great. It's good to see people taking an interest in what's happening across the globe and raising awareness.

I certainly have no objection to people protesting in something they believe in or want to take a strong stance on. Bad things happen because people don't take a stand often enough.

The problem comes into this is the motive behind it. I'm sure the majority of these people are well meaning, however, if they're being 'pushed' by lobbyists with a greater agenda, what happens if that agenda is met?

If this is somehow related to the renewed DP Port bid, and lets say the bid falls through or is blocked by congress, will these people then turn around and say "our work here is done" and then leave the well meaning individuals with no support? Will the same cries of "Change UAE Slave Labor" still be heard?

However, I don't think that these protests are going to affect their salaries very much. Personally, I would rather protest against their safety and living conditions as I feel these are much more concerning issues.

Group 4 Securicor recently spent an extensive amount of money building a new style labour camp. They were given great rooms with no more than 4 to a spacious room (most often 2), access to a cafeteria with good, clean and cheap food, a library, free internet access and free laundry facilities. The response from many workers was "This is good but we'd rather they saved the money and gave it to us." This article was printed in 7 Days no less.

I think the issue of long hours and little pay is an important one and I am truly amazed at how these guys can make ends meet but as Ian has said, part of it does come down to how they value the money that they are receiving. I am sure there are many people who do a lot less work than I do for 10 times my salary but it's all in perspective.

Unfortunately for us, a capital economy depends on a pyramid style distribution of wealth to function efficiently. There will always be 2 things:

(1) A situation where the needs of many are exploited by the needs of the few.
(2) A situation where there are many lining up to be exploited.

It's by no means an ideal scenario, it's grisley and unwelcome. I thank my monotheist creator every day that I was born into my situation. Of course, my monotheism prevents me from being jealous of Hugh Hefner or Bill Gates son and ask why I wasn't born unto a RSOB Billionaire, but it's all about perspective.

What would interest me is if such protests took place within impoverished areas in India. Would this affect the number of migrants from India to the UAE to work as labourers?

I am sure they do. More needs to be done from countries like India's end to paint a picture, but therein lies another problem:

(1) The people in India go "What they get that paid that much! and have jobs? Why are they complaining?" - FWIW 25% of India live below the povery line and the GDP per capita is only $3300 US, as oposed to our homelands which are around $30,000 +. Economically poverty is a way of life.

(2) They fear that if they protest too much, the companies instead of increasing wages, will simply hire people from somewhere else in the world, which is a valid concern.

This has been the issue many human interest groups have faced in any developing nation where they'd tried to spread the "good word.". The very people they're trying to win a better deal for, resist them out of fear that they have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 28, 2006
^ian^ wrote:Edit: I had the most aweful dream and woke up. Perhaps some people sent some mental daggers my way for my view on this subject.

I guess the Voodo doll I bought in Haiti works afterall - and here I was thinking I had wasted 3 pennies! Go figure.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2006
Is this how Ian's insightful comments and points on this subject get treated??? With complete avoidance, by changing the subject? some people..... :roll:

Oh and Chocs, where's the copy and pasted article :?:
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2006
freza wrote:Oh and Chocs, where's the copy and pasted article :?:

Chocs, do you also do windows? Is so let me know once you are done fetching stuff for Freza :roll:
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 30, 2006
don't be silly dawgy... What serious "media person" will start a thread about a media report (that most of us don't know about) and not post the report or a link to the article? Chocs is professional, so I'm sure she won't mind that someone points out that she forgot to post something quite obvious and important to the thread. Use your common sense...
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 30, 2006
freza wrote: Use your common sense...

You'll be the first to know when I figure out what that is.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 03, 2006
americans protesting against uaes slave labour hmm shows that american ppl are not that bad it shows that in america there r ppl who are bad there r ppl who are good i guess this can be said with every other parts of the world that in this world there are good and bad ppl :P abit like the star wars movie let evil balance good heheh :p

anyways was reading the post and some ppl said y are americans protesting when america itself started the slave trade lol
times are changing think about those who are standing out there in the SUMMER HEAT and working on a construction site. has any of you guys been to a labour camp ever seen how can 30 guys live in a room lol it will disgust you when you yourself will be living in an a/c room and driving around in cars with a/c when those guys will be stuck in buses with no a/c. be considerate for those guys they mite not be muslim but they are gods creation they are equal as me and you less fortunate because they werent born into a house which already had good income to provide for our education and jobs. be thank ful to god and do plz think about those guys working out there they have the right to protest who wouldnt when you are stuck in a room with other 29 guys no ac and no bloody pay for 5 months lol by the way if it wasnt for them i wouldnt be sitting in my appartment rite now or none of u would be sitting in a villa located some where in meadows or greeens or arabian ranches :p
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 03, 2006
:Dd
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 06, 2006
just try to get the statistics of how many people have died during the building boom especially in Abu Dhabi and other emirates. and how many are quadriplegic and what they got. I know of a 20ish bengaali who got quadriplegic, was given 5000 dirhams for his entire life expenses and he stayed for 6 months asking for justice and finally he was awarded 20000 dirhams by the court. he had no movements below the neck and needed assistace for everything.
This is injustice. Most of these people are the only bread earner, become desperate for money agree to do any work. not illegal work.
hillaryrowley
Dubai Forum User

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums