US Muslim Women Seek End To Gender Apartheid In Mosques

Topic locked
US Muslim women seek end to gender apartheid in Mosques Jul 16, 2011
Muslim women in the United States still face discrimination and inequality. It's unfortunate that many who support so-called freedom movements in the Middle East turn a blind eye to gender apartheid in their own Mosques and seek to perpetuate centuries old misogynist views.

Just over a month ago, a group of Muslim women and I strode through the marble courtyard of the Islamic Center in Washington, D.C., just down the street from the vice president's official residence on the exclusive Massachusetts Avenue, lined with embassies and mansions.

"Down!" a man barked.

"Down where?" responded Fatima Thompson, 45, an American-Muslim convert who lives in the city. "In the grave?"

In fact, the man wanted the women and me to go through a side door designated for women and climb down a stairwell into a basement space reserved for "sisters." It's beside the men's restroom.

My stomach turned. My son, Shibli, 8, was with us, and he had more rights than we as women. We were intent on rejecting second-class status. To me, it amounts to gender apartheid. Our goal was to walk through the front double doors designated for "brothers" and pray in the forbidden space of the opulent musallah, or main hall, of the mosque.

Last year, Thompson launched a "Pray In" campaign in Washington-area mosques, and this was our fourth action . With us, Ify Okoye, 27, a Nigerian-American Muslim convert, and Krysta Camp, 28, an American-Muslim convert, strode forward to reclaim in the 21st century rights that women enjoyed in the 7th century when the prophet Mohammad let women pray in the main hall of his mosque without forcing them behind any partition. During the other pray-ins, mosque officials called D.C. and Fairfax County (Va.) police and threw us out, charging us with trespassing. This time, we got to pray, but we had to hear shouts and insults....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/fo ... ques_n.htm

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: US Muslim Women Seek End To Gender Apartheid In Mosques Jul 16, 2011
Clearly the converts from Western countries that grew up with more gender equality are going to be the ones to pave the way for less discrimination. Good for them!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: US Muslim women seek end to gender apartheid in Mosques Jul 16, 2011
They have a long way to go to change the mindsets of those who see women as corrupting influences and menstruating women as even worse.
event horizon

Re: US Muslim Women Seek End To Gender Apartheid In Mosques Jul 16, 2011
The women have a point - the women did pray in the same mosque as the men in the Prophet's time indeed. They were (ironically) arranged exactly as in the photo below..

women behind the men, in the same hall.

I've heard of one lady 'Imam' who has led Friday prayers - but this is an innovation, as is women and men praying in mixed congregations without any gender separation.

For Muslims, it is hard to argue against what is the literal word of God and literal commandments from God - there are aspects of Islam that are open to interpretation, but there are aspects that aren't. After the Quran, there is the practice of the Prophet (the 'sunnah') and after that there is his recorded sayings the 'Hadith'. The sunnah is pretty clear about gender separation.

Men and women, physically and spiritually, are unchanged from when the Quran was revealed - therefore the physical and spiritual commandments contained in God's commandments are still valid for Muslims today.

Women should indeed take back the misogynistic impositions that man has imposed in the name of religion - and indeed many Muslim women are doing just that (eg driving ban in Saudi).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: US Muslim women seek end to gender apartheid in Mosques Jul 17, 2011
You can always turn away, or cover your eyes, if you see something you don't like Shafique.
Bethsmum

Re: US Muslim Women Seek End To Gender Apartheid In Mosques Jul 17, 2011
Well, it would help if Muslim men would take a look at their views on women and make a change within themselves. The oppression and bias can't last if the men were more enlightened. It means nothing to give lip service to equality when holding views that the nature of women is so completely different from men that they therefore must dress differently, behave differently, and follow different rules. We're all human beings and while there are some differences, the fact remains that we should all be entitled to the same rights and freedoms.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: US Muslim women seek end to gender apartheid in Mosques Jul 17, 2011
It means nothing to give lip service to equality when holding views that the nature of women is so completely different from men that they therefore must dress differently, behave differently, and follow different rules.

I agree. This is pretty much all this is with apologetics.

But it seems many female Muslims do not bother to attend Mosque services. This seems to contrast with other religions where there are usually an even number of female to male worshipers, if not more so.
event horizon

Re: US Muslim Women Seek End To Gender Apartheid In Mosques Jul 18, 2011
I certainly wouldn't attend mosque if I was relegated to praying behind curtains, or in another room or basement while the men prayed in a beautiful mosque hall. In fact, if God says this should be so, I wouldn't be able to believe in such a God any longer...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: US Muslim Women Seek End To Gender Apartheid In Mosques Jul 18, 2011
kanelli - did you not visit any mosques when you were in Dubai? The ladies sections of the mosques (such as Jumeirah) are as luxurious as the men's side.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: US Muslim Women Seek End To Gender Apartheid In Mosques Jul 19, 2011
kanelli wrote:I certainly wouldn't attend mosque if I was relegated to praying behind curtains, or in another room or basement while the men prayed in a beautiful mosque hall. In fact, if God says this should be so, I wouldn't be able to believe in such a God any longer...

You should also visit some of the most beautiful imperial mosques of islam, they have side balconies higher up towards the dome of main hall. Those balconies are reserved for ladies and have absolutely stunning view over the prayer hall and receive the best sound effect.. ;))
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Guys, did you read the article? The mosque facilities and diving of the spaces is not the same everywhere. Of course I know that many mosques have a great space for everyone to use, but why are some mosques relegating women to crappy spaces to pray?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

^Men prioritising and and bad planning, I guess.

All the Mosques being built in the UK etc that I've seen give more space to women generally - many contain areas for kids as well within the 'women only area' for example.

I've also been to prayer centres which are pretty crappy for the men too.. but people do the best they can with what is available.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums