Choosing Baby's Gender

Topic locked
Choosing Baby's Gender Nov 19, 2006
Way back, selection has been practised after birth since there's no ultrasound available, and when the parents don't like the gender of the infant they will abandoned the unwanted infant and worst dip the newly born infant in a pot full of milk.

Some cultures in some countries gender selection is a practice done by parents-to-be though it's illegal. Ultrasound test determines the gender of the infant at 20 or 21 weeks of pregnancy.

Let's have a balance debate as to whether new methods for selecting the gender of a child at the start of pregnancy should be allowed.

asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 20, 2006
Ive heard this story only when I came to Dubai. How unfair isnt it? So irresponsible.

Imagine if our parents practiced this kind of tradition before and it so happened we are not their preferred gender? What then? We could have experienced life in distress.

Only crackhead will think in this manner. :?
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Nov 20, 2006
Gener seletion is not ethical, nor should it be allowed under any circumstance. The problem in countries like India and China is that males take preference over girls, and although it's illegal for gender selection, there are many backstreet abortions and many many female babies are abandoned.

In China their one-child only per family is what's causing the problem as most parents favour boys. Trouble is they're now becoming a one gender society, who do they expect all these boys to marry and have children with, when there a very few girls? There will be no true Chinese left in a few generations time, as all the men will be forced to marry women of other nationalities.

Mainly it's a religious and cultural thing in many countries where boys a re preferred, and until girls stop being seen as lesser beings, it will continue.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 20, 2006
Gender selection is not illegal everywhere.

There is an arguement for a couple to wish for a particular gender if they wish to avoid a hereditary disease that only affects males or females, or if they already have a number of children of the same sex.

We have 3 girls and we did have homeopathic medicine to try and have a son 3rd time round (which obviously didn't work). Would I condone abortions etc of female/male children - no, emphatically no. But what if the sperm could be segregated so that only those with Y or X chromosomes were used for artificial insemination - would that be ethically wrong? I'm not sure.

My personal view is that children are a blessing, whether healthy, disabled and whatever gender. Do I feel strong enough to condemn others for only wanting one gender without knowing their reasons - I don't think so.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Nov 20, 2006
So what is going to happen in those countries who prefer males in the future? When they are nothing but a nation of men? Who will they have families with?

Gender selection because girls are deemed second class is not acceptable.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 20, 2006
that reminds of the story at pre-islamic times in that arabian pennisula where people used to bury the female infants because they didnt want to have daughters as children

thats just wrong :(
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 20, 2006
Yes it is wrong, and I will have no sypathy whatsoever for those nations, cultures who favour boys, who in a few generations time will find themselves a one gender society. They will be victims of their own ignorance.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 20, 2006
Gender selection because girls are deemed second class is not acceptable. words from female :D ( they are)
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 20, 2006
nostradamus wrote:Gender selection because girls are deemed second class is not acceptable. words from female :D ( they are)

You're in favour of gender selection then?
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 20, 2006
Nostroimanidiot, is a troll. Ignore him.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Nostroimanidiot, is a troll. Ignore him.

your a femail and after reading your views would put anybody in favour of Gener seletion
Ps "BORAK" is correct woman are second class so get over it!
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 20, 2006
And my personal gender has nothing to do with it. Women have always been treated as second best to men in many cultures and it's time to stop.

You're just a male chauvanist.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Nov 20, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Yes it is wrong, and I will have no sypathy whatsoever for those nations, cultures who favour boys, who in a few generations time will find themselves a one gender society. They will be victims of their own ignorance.

suprisingly that was it was like before islam...i think their are some villages in this world who still do that i heard
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 20, 2006
nostradamus wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Nostroimanidiot, is a troll. Ignore him.

your a femail and after reading your views would put anybody in favour of Gener seletion
Ps "BORAK" is correct woman are second class so get over it!

If your line of reasoning is like this, then I would say you are not the first nor second class but a third class gender. No need for selection. Singapore would be a perfect place for you. :lol:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 20, 2006
Singapore would be a perfect place for ME and any other stright male, woman are by far cheaper there and they know their place too. :lol:
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 20, 2006
Back to the topic forumers. :P
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Nov 20, 2006
Why stop at gender ?
nostradamus
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Nov 20, 2006
nostradamus wrote:Why stop at gender ?

8) 8) 8)
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 29, 2007
Our topic is in the gulfnews today. :D

www.gulfnews.com
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 29, 2007
:)

you guys already pumping text action at this time of the our!!!

Good morning all.
guest999

Jan 30, 2007
shafique wrote:We have 3 girls and we did have homeopathic medicine to try and have a son 3rd time round (which obviously didn't work).

You were trying too hard Shaf!

Its all about timing.
Male sperm are faster than female sperm, but they don't have as much stamina and die earlier.
Female sperm last longer, but are not as fast.

To have a boy, you need to have intercourse as close to ovulation as possible so that the male sperm get to the egg before the female sperm.

To have a girl you should do it often before ovulation, but stop 2-3 days before ovulation so that by the time you ovulate, all of the male sperm have died and there are only female sperm left to fertilse the egg.

You must have been going at it 24/7!

Either that, or you husband works for the miltary and has been spending too much time near the radar which kills off the male sperm.

For the record, I understand why some people would like to chose the gender of their child and you won't change a culture overnight. However, I am firmly against aborting a child of an unwanted gender, and if someone can chose the gender of their child before conception, at least the abortions would not occur. I am referring to India/Pakistan where the recorded male births far exceed females.
benwj

Jan 30, 2007
:lol:

benwj, are these true? I mean is there any scientific study or still hypotheses?
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 30, 2007
A study was done by Dr Billings who is a world leader in natural contraception.

http://www.billings-centre.ab.ca/general/bc_sex.htm

I am not aware of any studies that have been done on how radio frequencies (typically radar) effect sperm. This is my personal observation.
benwj

Jan 30, 2007
Sex choice for genuine medical conditions is acceptable, though leaving this as a loophole means people will still cheat the system.

Interestingly, the preference for male is strong in the 2 most populous nations on Earth, it could have very big implications on their future economies, growth and international acceptance (well, we're talking the US here).

Good news for people needing cheap labour in UAE tho :lol:
scot1870
Dubai Expat Helper

Jan 31, 2007
scot1870 wrote:choice for genuine medical conditions is acceptable, though leaving this as a loophole means people will still cheat the system.

I can't think of a genuine medical reason, or any other good reason for that matter, to justify medical gender selection.

However, for couples who already have a girl/boy and wish to have a baby of the opposite gender, I don't see natural methods as being unethical.
benwj

posting in Philosophy and Religion ForumsForum Rules

Return to Philosophy and Religion Forums