To Date Or Not To Date?

Topic locked
To date or not to date? Aug 22, 2006
Would you date someone if you know he/she’s a Muslim and you’re a devoted Catholic Christian?

Coz what’s the point of investing your time and feelings when you know that at the end you will choose a different path. A Muslim should marry a Muslim especially Arabs and a Catholic would wish to be married in a church in front of a priest unless one of you will choose to change his/her religion.
If the reason is – why not try it for fun – then how bout the emotions involve and you can end up having feelings with the other one, then it’s like playing with time …playing with love?

:? :?: :?: :?:

isabela
Dubai Expat Helper

Aug 22, 2006
who said that a muslim should only marry a muslim? or a buddist must marry a buddist?? thats just stupid... u marry the person not the religion ... cos to me ur relation ship with god is so personal and shouldnt follow any rules.. so i believe the answer is Civil Marriage , u keep ur religion he keep his , no harm done and then ur children will search for god and find it ... like me i am a muslim but i have 7 buddahs in my place and a cross and i wear a buddist wrist band ... We have to have respect to all religions whatever they are , and follow our hearts whenever we find love no matter what religion this person has.. the world will be a better place
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 22, 2006
don't play with real love, to many people get hurt.
make a distinction pleassure - love en don't challenge.
qwerty
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 22, 2006
I have no issues with religion. I have dated girls from other faiths, and if I do find the right girl for marriage, I would go ahead with it even if she is from a different religion. Whether that happens remains to be seen.

But since we're just talking about dating, I think its good to date people from diverse backgrounds... gives you so much more insight into other religions and cultures which you otherwise wouldn't have.
sgt_noodles
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 23, 2006
Corcovado wrote:who said that a muslim should only marry a muslim? or a buddist must marry a buddist?? thats just stupid... u marry the person not the religion ... cos to me ur relation ship with god is so personal and shouldnt follow any rules.. so i believe the answer is Civil Marriage , u keep ur religion he keep his , no harm done and then ur children will search for god and find it ... like me i am a muslim but i have 7 buddahs in my place and a cross and i wear a buddist wrist band ... We have to have respect to all religions whatever they are , and follow our hearts whenever we find love no matter what religion this person has.. the world will be a better place

It's a shame to know that there is a muslim like u out there. r u sure u r a muslim? anyways what country are u from?
i know everyone will think that i am wrong but Corcov u shud know y i said that.
alina_4u
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 23, 2006
alina_4u wrote:
Corcovado wrote:who said that a muslim should only marry a muslim? or a buddist must marry a buddist?? thats just stupid... u marry the person not the religion ... cos to me ur relation ship with god is so personal and shouldnt follow any rules.. so i believe the answer is Civil Marriage , u keep ur religion he keep his , no harm done and then ur children will search for god and find it ... like me i am a muslim but i have 7 buddahs in my place and a cross and i wear a buddist wrist band ... We have to have respect to all religions whatever they are , and follow our hearts whenever we find love no matter what religion this person has.. the world will be a better place

It's a shame to know that there is a muslim like u out there. r u sure u r a muslim? anyways what country are u from?
i know everyone will think that i am wrong but Corcov u shud know y i said that.

y my dear? y i am a shame? cos i believe in love and humanity ? or cos i dont judge people on their religion , ? the religion they inherited from their parents without any choice!!!! we should be able to decide which religion we want to follow ,how to find god ,not to be told to :?
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2006
This is a hot topic of debate, no matter what country you are in.

The big question is: if you intend to marry a person of a different faith,will your family aceept this?

I know a number of muslim girls who meet Christian males, and there family refuse to acdept it.

I agree, that it should be left up to the individuals to decide, but often, families do play a role in this, which i believe is a shame.

Also, if a muslim marries a christian, under what religion do you bring your children up to believe in?

Men rarely change religion to marry someone of another religion, it "appears" that it is mostly the women who have to change. Its a real shame is that!

I fall in love with a person for who they are not what religion they follow, but often families do and can "interfere".
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 23, 2006
it's all nicely said Cor, but if u r a true muslim u shud know where u r going wrong. i dunt really want to discuss this. So if u r happy, everyone else shud be 2
alina_4u
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 23, 2006
Corcs, is right you marry the person, not their religion. Religion can be such a superficial thing, plus everyone comes into the world with no knowledge of religion, it's where and how you're brought up and what you've been exposed to.

I find it so sad that people can be torn apart or kept apart by religion. It's about the person, not their beliefs.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 23, 2006
People should do what they want in the end, but it is true that many holy books and teaching say that people of a certain faith should only marry others of the same or similar faith. It is for practical purposes as well. Marriages are hard to keep together in cases where two people come from the same country, cultural and religious backgrounds - let alone if you add in the factors of separate countries, cultures and religions. It just makes it all the more difficult, especially if families start to meddle.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 23, 2006
yeah yorky ur right ,the family ususally cause problems ,and in islam the guy must convert to islam to marry a muslim girl :? I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
Kahlil Gibran
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2006
Kanelli we need to give our children the right to choose their religion when they grow up, cos i said it b4 ur relation with god is 100 % personal and as Khalil Gebran Said:

Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2006
I too think that people should choose their own religion, but that is just the opinion of one group of people. What does the Quran say about people not raising their children as Muslims? Just because you don't believe in that doesn't mean that devoutly religious people don't believe that it is their duty to raise their children in their faith. In many case, people believe that their children will go to hell if they are not baptised and true believers etc. Don't you think that parents are trying to do their best for their children by raising them in their faith? I certainly won't frown upon parents who think they are doing the right thing, especially if religion is an integral part of their life - and therefore it is natural for the children to participate. If their children want to change religions when they grow up, it is still their free choice to do so. The parents won't be happy about it, but should they be expected to be happy?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Aug 23, 2006
Actually K, that's exactly the opinion of my parents. They never forced anything on myself or my brother, they told us we can believe whatever we want to.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Aug 23, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Actually K, that's exactly the opinion of my parents. They never forced anything on myself or my brother, they told us we can believe whatever we want to.

same here, my parents are so open minded that once i wanted to be a nun and they didnt mind :roll: and when i wanted to turn to buddism they supported me
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2006
True Love transcends everything.... its even above religion, so if u really love someone their religion shudnt matter. Also in todays day and age , where very few people are religious, it doent really matter.
Eros
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 23, 2006
Eros wrote:True Love transcends everything.... its even above religion, so if u really love someone their religion shudnt matter. Also in todays day and age , where very few people are religious, it doent really matter.

eros,

that sounds great on paper, but i am afraid in the real world where kids/adults have to deal with parents and religeous issues, it DOES NOT WORK.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 23, 2006
yorky500 wrote:
Eros wrote:True Love transcends everything.... its even above religion, so if u really love someone their religion shudnt matter. Also in todays day and age , where very few people are religious, it doent really matter.

eros,

that sounds great on paper, but i am afraid in the real world where kids/adults have to deal with parents and religeous issues, it DOES NOT WORK.

it does work if one is willing to sacrifice for another.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 23, 2006
many parents say "im not racist, would not discriminate this or that group of ppl, but i dont want u date a black/white/arab/asian etc, because of colour/religion/mentality etc.''
if u grow up with all kinds of prejudicies and believe in them urself, than its not an issue. althou it is not a rarity that a racist person falls in love with another from the group he/she hates. but if ur open minded, than its only up to u how u can "train" ur parents through the years to accept ur decisions and the ppl around u.
...and if training is not an option, than be strong enough to chose ur own life over the selfish expectations of ur parents.

anyway, overcoming the religion and mentalities that come along with it, is, or should be the concern of the couple and nobody elses.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 23, 2006
Corcovado wrote:Kanelli we need to give our children the right to choose their religion when they grow up, cos i said it b4 ur relation with god is 100 % personal and as Khalil Gebran Said:

Your children are not your children. They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself. They came through you but not from you and though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

true
raidah

Aug 23, 2006
[quote][/Would you date someone if you know he/she’s a Muslim and you’re a devoted Catholic Christian?[quote]

Hey girl your on to something! :lol:

I say yep give it a try! Dont think that far ahead....there is always two sides of the coin. You might end up marrying him or he might turned up to be the worst guy you've ever met.

As for his religion, try to observe for yourself. Somehow Im convinced their religion is a bit better than ours(sorry dont mean to offend that just my opinion) There are again good things and bad things as well.

Just take care of yourself...I dont want to see a thread of hurt/hatred topic from you bec. of this. :lol:
zam

Aug 23, 2006
Corcovado wrote:same here, my parents are so open minded that once i wanted to be a nun and they didnt mind

Corcs...you were nearly a NUN??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

What went wrong?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 23, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
Corcovado wrote:same here, my parents are so open minded that once i wanted to be a nun and they didnt mind

Corcs...you were nearly a NUN??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

What went wrong?

Knight

:oops: :oops: well hmmm u know 8) 8)
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aug 23, 2006
Ah yes! You got a life and discovered those things called 'boys'!

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 24, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:Ah yes! You got a life and discovered those things called 'boys'!

Knight

hehehe :oops: :oops: :oops:
Corcovado
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: To date or not to date? Aug 24, 2006
isabela wrote:Would you date someone if you know he/she’s a Muslim and you’re a devoted Catholic Christian?

Coz what’s the point of investing your time and feelings when you know that at the end you will choose a different path. A Muslim should marry a Muslim especially Arabs and a Catholic would wish to be married in a church in front of a priest unless one of you will choose to change his/her religion.
If the reason is – why not try it for fun – then how bout the emotions involve and you can end up having feelings with the other one, then it’s like playing with time …playing with love?

If you're Catholic there must be a Catholic guy out there for you... It's best to stick to your own - religious wise. Religious differences will not matter much at first but eventually these differences will surface and matter.
freza
Dubai chat master

Aug 24, 2006
isabila

as a muslim who respect his religion i must do what my religion told me to do .
i can merry any girl from the three holy religions therefor i can merry a christian girl a jewish girl or a muslim girl .
i cant merry for example a buddhist girl otherwise my relationship with her will be like doing sins every day.

offcors u merry the person for who he is not for what his religion is .but when u chose a path and a riligion u have to respect that .
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: To date or not to date? Aug 24, 2006
isabela wrote:Would you date someone if you know he/she’s a Muslim and you’re a devoted Catholic Christian?

muslims guy can marry with christian, jews woman, as per the holy book
gLoBalTeCh
Dubai Forums Frequenter

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance