Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance?

Topic locked
Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 08, 2010
bonk wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:Just as long as both parties are aware of 'The Rules'

There are rules? Ah .... hmmmm .... :evil:

And, er, what are they?

'The Rules' are simple:

1. We are together for mutual fun. Nothing else.
2. You don't have to phone me and I don't have to phone you every half hour to whisper sweet nothings.
3. In fact, you only have to phone me to arrange the next rendezvous or talk dirty.
4. This does not constitute a 'contract' or 'agreement' between us.
5. I will not update my Facebook status to 'In a relationship' or even 'Its complicated'.
6. I don't want to know if Cheryl in your office has 2 sugars in her tea or if the new blue shoes you bought match your handbag perfectly, this is not the minutiae of our relationship.
7. No gimp suits
8. You don't need to meet my friends
9. I don't need to meet yours
10. If either of us is too busy or too tired one evening, is absolutely fine. There is no obligation either way. I am delighted that you have something in your life that is more important to you.
11. No clothes in my wardrobe. None of mine in yours.

These rules can be adapted, updated, abridged, edited or supplemented according to the persons involved.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Bethsmum wrote:I just have one misgiving at your post. Out of your league? Never think like that Knight, no one is ever out of your league. If they choose not to appreciate what you have, then that's their loss, but out of your league? Never! Always think positive and go for it. :bounce:

I am referring to those women here who choose to make themselves 'out of my league' simply because they are looking for a stereotypical 'tall dark stranger' (preferably with nice slick backed hair, lantern jawed rugged good looks, Armani top to toe, Porsche key-ring, wallet bulging with platinum plastic kind of tall darkness)

Yes, they may be model material or at least have a body that you would give a part of your anatomy to play with, but they know it and use it to best effect. Unless I fit into that narrow stereotype, the cold shoulder is an anatomical reality.

A mate of mine has a wonderful turn of phrase:

"Its sad but the women I want, don't want me. Unfortunately the women I don't want, don't want me either!"

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance? Sep 08, 2010
DK said, "...the difference between the air speed velocity of the African and European swallow."

Is that laden or unladen? ;)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Hahahaha DK - have you seen your FB relationship status of late - ahhhh you crack me up el fromage!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Chocoholic wrote:Hahahaha DK - have you seen your FB relationship status of late - ahhhh you crack me up el fromage!

You have to read the proviso's at the bottom of the rule list.

I suppose I should add another rule too:

None of the above count if the girl who wants to be your girlfriend lives 3000 miles away!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

The girls who 'wants' to be your girlfriend? Does this mean you are of other minds? lol So under the thumb mate.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 09, 2010
Its in the diary to be resolved shortly...

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Yeah yeah keep telling yourself that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Dubai Knight wrote:
bonk wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:Just as long as both parties are aware of 'The Rules'

There are rules? Ah .... hmmmm .... :evil:

And, er, what are they?

'The Rules' are simple:

1. We are together for mutual fun. Nothing else.
2. You don't have to phone me and I don't have to phone you every half hour to whisper sweet nothings.
3. In fact, you only have to phone me to arrange the next rendezvous or talk dirty.
4. This does not constitute a 'contract' or 'agreement' between us.
5. I will not update my Facebook status to 'In a relationship' or even 'Its complicated'.
6. I don't want to know if Cheryl in your office has 2 sugars in her tea or if the new blue shoes you bought match your handbag perfectly, this is not the minutiae of our relationship.
7. No gimp suits
8. You don't need to meet my friends
9. I don't need to meet yours
10. If either of us is too busy or too tired one evening, is absolutely fine. There is no obligation either way. I am delighted that you have something in your life that is more important to you.
11. No clothes in my wardrobe. None of mine in yours.

These rules can be adapted, updated, abridged, edited or supplemented according to the persons involved.

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Ah, those rules. I thought there were some general ones applicable to everyone ...

Dubai Knight wrote:I suppose I should add another rule too:

None of the above count if the girl who wants to be your girlfriend lives 3000 miles away!

8) 8) 8)

Knight

Wondered what happened to that story ... not finished yet then :) ...
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 10, 2010
Dubai Knight wrote:
Bethsmum wrote:I just have one misgiving at your post. Out of your league? Never think like that Knight, no one is ever out of your league. If they choose not to appreciate what you have, then that's their loss, but out of your league? Never! Always think positive and go for it. :bounce:

I am referring to those women here who choose to make themselves 'out of my league' simply because they are looking for a stereotypical 'tall dark stranger' (preferably with nice slick backed hair, lantern jawed rugged good looks, Armani top to toe, Porsche key-ring, wallet bulging with platinum plastic kind of tall darkness)

Yes, they may be model material or at least have a body that you would give a part of your anatomy to play with, but they know it and use it to best effect. Unless I fit into that narrow stereotype, the cold shoulder is an anatomical reality.

A mate of mine has a wonderful turn of phrase:

"Its sad but the women I want, don't want me. Unfortunately the women I don't want, don't want me either!"

8) 8) 8)

Knight

What you are describing here, Knight, is Barbie and Ken. They don't exist in BM's world.I have never ever consider giving up part of my anatomy to play with any man. Do get a grip, it's only a woman. Blow up versions are available at all major retailers.
Bethsmum

Re: Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance? Sep 10, 2010
What kind of women are these that only want to go for the "stereotypical 'tall dark stranger' (preferably with nice slick backed hair, lantern jawed rugged good looks, Armani top to toe, Porsche key-ring, wallet bulging with platinum plastic kind of tall darkness)". More importantly, why are guys interested in such a shallow woman? (Oh, perhaps interested in a shag but no relationship?)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Bethsmum wrote: Blow up versions are available at all major retailers.

Umm...the 'blow up' versions you find in this part of the world tend to be more of the C4/TNT variety!

You wouldn't want to bang one, in case she goes off with one!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

kanelli wrote:What kind of women are these that only want to go for the "stereotypical 'tall dark stranger' More importantly, why are guys interested in such a shallow woman? (Oh, perhaps interested in a shag but no relationship?)

These are the predators (the women that is!) they hunt with the sole objective of capturing and taming this money machine that enables them to get the fix they need: Its a retail thing.

The guys are interested in them because they are 'trophies'. A little fluff to be seen on their sleeve when out dandifying the town and impressing their sycophantic mates. And a shag is always appreciated!

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

kanelli wrote:What kind of women are these that only want to go for the "stereotypical 'tall dark stranger' (preferably with nice slick backed hair, lantern jawed rugged good looks, Armani top to toe, Porsche key-ring, wallet bulging with platinum plastic kind of tall darkness)". More importantly, why are guys interested in such a shallow woman? (Oh, perhaps interested in a shag but no relationship?)

err... teenagers?

Knight arent u a bit old to date teens? :lol:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Exactly, they sound like teenagers to me.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 11, 2010
Trust me, this carries on well past a girls teens!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance? Sep 11, 2010
None of my friends are like that.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance? Sep 12, 2010
kanelli wrote:None of my friends are like that.

Any unmarried ones???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 12, 2010
melika969 wrote:
kanelli wrote:What kind of women are these that only want to go for the "stereotypical 'tall dark stranger' (preferably with nice slick backed hair, lantern jawed rugged good looks, Armani top to toe, Porsche key-ring, wallet bulging with platinum plastic kind of tall darkness)". More importantly, why are guys interested in such a shallow woman? (Oh, perhaps interested in a shag but no relationship?)

err... teenagers?

Knight arent u a bit old to date teens? :lol:

Not teenagers, I know plenty of women well into their 20's and 30's running after such guys. In all honesty I find it sad and pathetic.

Also what's wrong with tall, dark and handsome? I managed to find myself exactly that without even trying - although he's defo not into all the sad label clothing, tragic p*nis extension cars and whatnot.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance? Sep 12, 2010
Yes, some unmarried ones. But then they aren't tall blonde Barbies or little Asian porcelain dolls, the stuff of mens' fantasies. ;)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 12, 2010
Chocoholic wrote: I managed to find myself exactly that without even trying - although he's defo not into all the sad label clothing, tragic p*nis extension cars and whatnot.

Yup, that's true. I've seen his bike!

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 13, 2010
Dubai Knight wrote:
Chocoholic wrote: I managed to find myself exactly that without even trying - although he's defo not into all the sad label clothing, tragic p*nis extension cars and whatnot.

Yup, that's true. I've seen his bike!

Knight

LOL well it's not going to look like that for very long, it'll be resprayed black, the 2 exhausts replaced with one, new handle bars and a few other things.

Although he was very impressed with the Royal Enfields - 15,000 Dhs, with insurance, 4 services and registration - I'm considering getting my bike licence.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance? Sep 13, 2010
are we talking about some poor old guy who doesnt get some from his wife so he decided to be friends now

:D

p.s is this old man on the forum by any chance?????
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 13, 2010
Nope. He is not.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Can you have a friendship without a romance? Sep 14, 2010
True friendship without romance is almost impossible between se.xes. True friendship is loving each other, because of the other (as said by somebody). Of course it is not love in the sense of romance and se.x, but it is about affection and intimacy (which involves talking, laughing and crying together). Even in the most platonic relationship between two sex.es some flirting will take place, perhaps covered as a joke, or a hug that is a bit too long and close for a 'normal' hug. Things that will not happen in a friendship between two guys. It is possible of course to take romance out of the friendship between a man and a woman, but thoughts about it will be there, even if they are hidden deep. Even if both are already in a relationship the question whether the friend will be a suitable partner if circumstances were different will have crossed anybodies mind in such a situation.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Can You Have A Friendship Without A Romance? Sep 15, 2010
True, even if one person is gay! I've got a male best friend for 20 yrs now and we can stay close mainly because he is gay. If he wasn't gay we likely would have dated and broken off and destroyed the relationship, or perhaps I wouldn't be married to my husband now! One never knows... In any case, it is really wonderful to be able to have a male as a best friend and not have to worry about messing it up with romance.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

kanelli wrote:it is really wonderful to be able to have a male as a best friend and not have to worry about messing it up with romance.

I second that, it is great and nice to have a good friend from the opposite gender, it certainly is different than a friendship between two guys and is an enrichment. I still consider my wife as my best friend though.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sometimes our spouse is supposed to be our best friend but it doesn't always end up that way, sometimes it can be more like enemies...
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai RomanceForum Rules

Return to Dubai Romance