Where’s My Wife? SMS Notifies Saudi Husband

Topic locked
Where’s my wife? SMS notifies Saudi husband Nov 23, 2012
Saudi women’s male guardians began receiving text messages on their phones informing them when women under their custody leave the country.
women in Saudi Arabia are now monitored by an electronic system that tracks any cross-border movements

“The authorities are using technology to monitor women,” said columnist Badriya al-Bishr, who criticised the “state of slavery under which women are held” in the ultra-conservative kingdom.

“If I need an SMS to let me know my wife is leaving Saudi Arabia, then I’m either married to the wrong woman or need a psychiatrist,” tweeted Hisham.

Local media has reported that controversy caused by the escape of a Saudi woman to Sweden in recent month triggered the move.

Source: http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2 ... 51255.html

Why would Saudi women want to escape from the KSA in the first place?

FlyingDutchman
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Where’s My Wife? SMS Notifies Saudi Husband Nov 23, 2012
I'm not entirely sure but if a woman is on her husband's visa in Dubai, I think he is notified if she leaves the country. I do know that if someone spends money on their spouses credit card, even if the card is in their own name, the spouse is notified by text message.
This applies if the man aswell, if the wife has the work/residence visa.

Certainly stops the man booking into a hotel with his girlie friend :D
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Where’s My Wife? SMS Notifies Saudi Husband Nov 25, 2012
This rule is sucks, because a saudi men are known of changing thier phone numbers frequently which means that they need to go update info in the court now and then ..
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Where’s My Wife? SMS Notifies Saudi Husband Nov 25, 2012
Why do people keep changing their phone number? I've had the same mobile number for 12 years. In fact I've only had one number.
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

Re: Where’s My Wife? SMS Notifies Saudi Husband Nov 26, 2012
I've never received a text message when my wife leaves the country. I don't know if such a service is available, but it's not automatic.
blueshift
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Where’s My Wife? SMS Notifies Saudi Husband Nov 26, 2012
Oh really? I thought it rang a bell somewhere. Maybe you need to tick a box somewhere?
BMreformed
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk