Child Bride Turned Over To 80-year-old Husband

Topic locked
Child bride turned over to 80-year-old husband Aug 26, 2009
AL-LAITH: A 10-year-old bride was returned last Sunday to her 80-year-old husband by her father who discovered her at the home of her aunt with whom she has been hiding for around 10 days.

A local newspaper said the husband, who denies he is 80 in spite of claims by the girl’s family, accused the aunt of meddling in his affairs. “My marriage is not against Shariah. It included the elements of acceptance and response by the father of the bride,” he said.

He added that he had been engaged to his wife’s elder sister and that this broke off as she wanted to continue with her education. “In light of this, her father offered his younger daughter. I was allowed to have a look at her according to Shariah and found her acceptable,” he said.

http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section ... ry=Kingdom

Nothing to see, move along.

freefromrats
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Child bride turned over to 80-year-old husband Aug 26, 2009
freefromrats wrote:Nothing to see, move along.

Legal Age A female can get married in New Hampshire USA : 13

Correct nothing to see move on
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Child bride turned over to 80-year-old husband Aug 26, 2009
Dude, I don't get how your inf. correspont to OP. It's said in the article that it's illegal practice here.
Is there any agency which protect rights of children?
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 26, 2009
G to tha T
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
Here we go again. Another Muslimbangladesh - another nutter.

Once again, I see your ignorance coming through your post. Before you try to dig a dirt on a specific society, look at your backyard and see how filthy it is - incest, perverts who'd anything to have s.x with childern etc etc - I mean come on.

We all know it's damn wrong for a young girl to be forced to merried to an old moran, we all know that it's wrong when pervert old men from affluent countries used their money to exploit underage girls from those poor countries for s.x . And, the shocking reality is, we all know that we can't put stop to it. This is because in every societies, you have good people and bad people , it's a parallel, it's inexplicable, it's been like this since our existance, and will continue.

That's why to this day, we still have wars, injustice, inquality, and millions of people are dying every year just because they couldn't find food to eat, when the foods in some countries are thrown away in ample every single day .....

So in short my friend, flaws and stupidity are inseparable components of the human kind, regardless of their race, religion, profession etc.

However, it's prudent that when someone tries to judge a matter, at least first try to understand that his/her belief, preference etc might just not correspond with that group of people who are intended with the judgment. In other words, one cannot judge a matter solely accourding to one's view, one has to get into the prespective and way of living of a certain culture in order to be fair when placing a judgment.

I know proffessional people who pratice weird stuffs, but I'll never put myself in a position to judge thiers pratice, since am not in it and don't understand it.

Yes, one has to speaks up when there is something unjust or morally wrong. But there are so many big issues that facing the world today that we sould be discussing - so lets be fair and just when discussing certain issues, and lets not pick on a certain group because stupidities are rife in every societies. And lets not be afraid to say, I dont know about certain issue and therefore I'm not in a position to make a judgment.
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 26, 2009
Another stupid topic by another retarded poster but anyway.

My question is: How can he deny that he is 80? I mean what is he claiming to be- a young man of 77?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Child bride turned over to 80-year-old husband Aug 27, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:
freefromrats wrote:Nothing to see, move along.

Legal Age A female can get married in New Hampshire USA : 13

Correct nothing to see move on

Uh oh. It doesn't seem like desert is going to like this. What desert pasted is correct but, unfortunately, desertdudeshj chose to take the article he copy/pasted out of context:

The age of consent in New Hampshire is 16. However a close in age exception exists where a person may "engage in sexual penetration" with a person older than 13 but younger than 16, but only if their age difference is less than three years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_co ... _Hampshire

If I can understand you correctly, do you agree with Sharia law where old men can marry (and consummate their marriages with) little girls?
freefromrats
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Aug 27, 2009
^So freefromrats - can you clarify what the NH age of consent means then (you say it is correct).

Are you saying a 13 year old female may marry, but has to wait for 3 years before having intercourse if the groom is aged over 16 when they get married! :roll:

Curiouser and curiouser.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 27, 2009
It means that if some teenagers (both of them) made a mistake it would be possible to correct. Can you read it totally? It's only the case of emergency. Otherwise one of them would go to jail.

The first story is realy disgasting, even more because it's common practice. The girl needs some protection from athority.
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 27, 2009
@rattyboy

Oh oh !

desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 27, 2009
Just on the NH point - age of consent and age of marriage are separate issues - only the age of consent gives a loophole for a 13 year girl or 14 year old male to engage in s.exual activity (it is not a crime, provided the partner is not more than 4 years older)

For marriage, 13 for girls is allowed, provided the courts and parents agree. There isn't an age difference limit in this provision (but the courts would/may look at this as a factor).

http://www.stateline.org/live/details/story?contentId=116474

Back to the first story about the 80 year old - I blame the parents of the girl, shame on them. I also do think the authorities should step in.

That said, official stats from both States and UK show that girls are having kids as young as 11 or 12 these days.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Aug 28, 2009
Am I missing the point, because it seems to me that she didn't WANT to be married to the old duffer. She was hiding from him, correct? So, yes, legal age of marriage is one thing, but what about freedom of choice, and effective modern slavery? Her father married her off, correct? I guess Humbleman will say that's OK because it's the laws of the society, so no-one else can judge them. How screwed up is that?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 28, 2009
10-year-old girl kid marries with 80-year-old thing? i cant belive it. “My marriage is not against Shariah. It included the elements of acceptance and response by the father of the bride,” ? and is there any report what the girl's father thinking in his mind? How could a girl who is only 10 marry an 80-year guy? Is the girl forced to do this? If not, why did she hide herself? :x
rongson
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 29, 2009
Speedhump wrote: So, yes, legal age of marriage is one thing, but what about freedom of choice, and effective modern slavery? Her father married her off, correct? I guess Humbleman will say that's OK because it's the laws of the society, so no-one else can judge them. How screwed up is that?

Are you serious? What can 10 years kid know about marriage? She wants to play at that age only... Thre should be juvenal justice on the scene.

As for slavery it's another story and concern rather to a notorious triangle route Bristol-West Africa-Caribean-Bristol. Brits have no problem with that matter at that not so distant time...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 29, 2009
W*nker
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk