Pro-speech Or Pro-censorship?

Topic locked

Do you support free speech or are you pro-censorship?

Pro-speech - my body, my choice
75%
Pro-censorship - my feelings are more important than the rights of others
25%
Other - I haven't decided where I stand on the freedom of speech
No votes

Total votes : 4

Re: Pro-speech or Pro-censorship? Apr 12, 2011
And quite frankly, if you don't like free speech, just don't practice it yourself.

Why can't you just allow others to burn Korans? They're not yours, after all.

LOL. As far as I know free speech happens between humans with tongues..
Wiki entry for speech is the vocalized form of human communication.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speech

Why should you burn something that hasn't got tongue to talk to you, it is harmless!...

Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Pro-speech Or Pro-censorship? Apr 12, 2011
Maybe the jinns jump out of his Koran and tell him "burn baby, burn"???
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Again, burning a holy book is not freedom of speech, it's an action. If you announce that you are going to burn a holy book, that is speech!!!! Your off the mark when you can't see the difference between speech and action.

Free expression is used interchangeably with free speech. That's why flag burning is a free 'speech' issue.

When it comes to Koran burning, it's about choice. If I want to freely express my right to burn a Koran, I should be able to do so. The government doesn't have a right to step in and control my actions.

It's perfectly understandable if you don't like Koran burning, but if you don't like Koran burning, just don't burn any Korans yourself.

Berrin wrote:
And quite frankly, if you don't like free speech, just don't practice it yourself.

Why should you burn something that hasn't got tongue to talk to you, it is harmless!...

Maybe I don't have any room on my bookshelf to store my Koran - especially if the Koran is unwanted and I can't find a better home for it. It's better to terminate the Koran rather than have it thrown in the trash or on the floor for most of its life, wouldn't you agree?

Plus, if you criminalize Koran burning, people are still going to burn Korans. Except it will be in the back alley ways where Koran burning will increase the risk of an uncontrollable fire.

My Koran, my choice.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Pro-speech Or Pro-censorship? Apr 12, 2011
You know EH, I feel sorry for you. Clearly you have alot of hatred towards Islam. One can only iagine what you are internalizing when you get started on your hatred.

I don't think this is about any freedoms. For you it's about your hatred towards Islam. I don't see you arguing against Christianity, Judism, Budism, or any other form of "religion".

You want to burn a Koran, go right ahead. Burn a bible or a Jewish holy book while you are at it. Go paint swatstickers on synagogues or headstones in a Jewish cemetry. People like you who are deeply passionate with their dislike/hatred for anything are pathetic and have serious issues.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Go paint swatstickers on synagogues or headstones in a Jewish cemetry. People like you who are deeply passionate with their dislike/hatred for anything are pathetic and have serious issues.

The comparison between attacking a building or cemetery to burning your own private property is absurd.

I expect you to put more thought in your arguments but I guess I was hoping for too much.
event horizon

event horizon wrote:
Go paint swatstickers on synagogues or headstones in a Jewish cemetry. People like you who are deeply passionate with their dislike/hatred for anything are pathetic and have serious issues.

The comparison between attacking a building or cemetery to burning your own private property is absurd.

I expect you to put more thought in your arguments but I guess I was hoping for too much.

I can give a good argument when the subject has substance. It's very hard to debate with ANYONE who is obsessed with hatred for ANYTHING.

If you are going to burn your private property the Koran, do it in private!!!! if doing so gives you some twisted satisfaction fine, you don't have to announce it - keep that private too because most people might look at you a bit funny to hear that sort of thing gets you off. Don't forget to put your white hood on when you do it.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

event horizon wrote:Otherwise the zubbers will turn Europe into a seventh century dark age.

The darkages, was caused due to the stupidity of the churches at that time, Seems to me your fundamentals are very weak, you require a revision and fast.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
event horizon wrote:Otherwise the zubbers will turn Europe into a seventh century dark age.

The darkages, was caused due to the stupidity of the churches at that time, Seems to me your fundamentals are very weak, you require a revision and fast.

When did the Byzantine empire go through a dark age?

Bora Bora wrote:
event horizon wrote:

I can give a good argument when the subject has substance. It's very hard to debate with ANYONE who is obsessed with hatred for ANYTHING.

If you are going to burn your private property the Koran, do it in private!!!! if doing so gives you some twisted satisfaction fine, you don't have to announce it - keep that private too because most people might look at you a bit funny to hear that sort of thing gets you off. Don't forget to put your white hood on when you do it.

Well, last I checked, Terry Jones did burn the Koran in private. But if you feel strongly about burning Korans, I think you should just not burn any at all and leave others to do what they want.
event horizon

Re: Pro-speech or Pro-censorship? Apr 13, 2011
Berrin wrote:

Maybe I don't have any room on my bookshelf to store my Koran - especially if the Koran is unwanted and I can't find a better home for it. It's better to terminate the Koran rather than have it thrown in the trash or on the floor for most of its life, wouldn't you agree?
Plus, if you criminalize Koran burning, people are still going to burn Korans. Except it will be in the back alley ways where Koran burning will increase the risk of an uncontrollable fire.

My Koran, my choice.
Ohh dear, with twisted expressions like these you remind me the good al' days when shafique used to call you a loon..You really don't have to try hard to prove him right, do you?

Zubber wrote:
Well, last I checked, Terry Jones did burn the Koran in private.

He may have burned it in private but it become public when he leaked the video of it all of a sudden..
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

Berrin wrote:
Zubber wrote:

He may have burned it in private but it become public when he leaked the video of it all of a sudden..

Zubber never wrote that statement
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote:
Berrin wrote:
Zubber wrote:

Zubber never wrote that statement

Were you fraped?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Were you fraped?

Fraping , Nah, my firewall is rocksolid ;)
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Ok, berrin.

Do you think these women should be arrested for incitement?

dubai-politics-talk/tweeting-your-abortion-t46078.html

(zubber, glad to see you addressing my response to your claim about the dark ages ......)
event horizon

Re: Pro-speech Or Pro-censorship? Apr 13, 2011
Oh, well im busy trying to talk to new women on the forum, perhaps when Im freer
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Pro-speech Or Pro-censorship? Apr 14, 2011
zubber wrote:Oh, well im busy trying to talk to new women on the forum, perhaps when Im freer

Busy? New women? Another figment of Zubber's vivid imagination. I think all the women here (3?) are completely turned off. Better luck on Bangladesh.com Zubber.
Bethsmum

@EH, you sound like a broken gramaphone record. That happens when people have nothing substantial to say.

@Berrin, in my opinion, religion throughout the ages has done a lot more harm and damage to the human race than all the other natural or man-made calamities combined. It continues to do so to this day. So whose god is right anyway? Are Muslims the chosen people? Are Jews? or Christians? Or the myriads of other religions like Hinduism etc. I hope that these questions must have agitated your mind at some stage, and you might have some answers for us. In each religion its god exorts its followers to kill the un-beleivers, rape their women, and pillage their cities. And that is what the faithful have been doing diligently through the ages.
As for the holy books: is there really any need for them? Ancient texts, that may have been relevant thousand of years ago, have become totally mainingless now. No one follows them any more; even the most purprtedly ardent followers. What the dire need on this planet Earth is for some[b] decent Human Beings[/b]. But that seems like a tall order!
zonker
BANNED

Re: Pro-speech or Pro-censorship? Apr 14, 2011
I like EH!
Bethsmum

@EH, you sound like a broken gramaphone record. That happens when people have nothing substantial to say.

Apologies if my argument is not as sophisticated as yours.

But I think 'my Koran, my choice' encapsulates my stance on why Koran burning should be legal that no one here has managed to adequately address or counter.

Oh, and weren't you the one who recently fled your own thread in which you claimed the Roman empire fell due to rampant homos.e.xuality after it was made obvious that your claim was patently wrong? That is off topic, but I would like to remind you that you have a responsibility to respond to posts or admit you were talking out of your rear end, especially when you responded by claiming anyone with a good education 'knows' what you were saying is true.
event horizon

I like Zonker too :D !
Bethsmum

Pro speech - pro censorship VOTE is non sense.
pro censorshipers don't vote and want to put those who vote in jail.
herve
Dubai Forums Veteran

event horizon wrote:

Apologies if my argument is not as sophisticated as yours.

But I think 'my Koran, my choice' encapsulates my stance on why Koran burning should be legal that no one here has managed to adequately address or counter.

Oh, and weren't you the one who recently fled your own thread in which you claimed the Roman empire fell due to rampant homos.e.xuality after it was made obvious that your claim was patently wrong? That is off topic, but I would like to remind you that you have a responsibility to respond to posts or admit you were talking out of your rear end, especially when you responded by claiming anyone with a good education 'knows' what you were saying is true.

I seem to have touched a raw nerve there somewhere. Your argument is becoming decidedly more un-sophisticated, and tainted with the smell emanating from from your intestinal contents. I never said the Roman Empire fell due to Homos, but I did say that when it fell, Homos.ex.uality was rampant. Your rear end and fore-end seem to have the same IQ.
I am not fleeing, I just dont belong to the sewer from which you are hailing. I cant stand the smell!!
zonker
BANNED

Good for you Zonker!!! I see you are upholding the "responsibility" to respond to posts as dictated by EH. :lol: :lol:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bethsmum wrote:
zubber wrote:Oh, well im busy trying to talk to new women on the forum, perhaps when Im freer

Busy? New women? Another figment of Zubber's vivid imagination. I think all the women here (3?) are completely turned off. Better luck on Bangladesh.com Zubber.

Yes, hello to you too BM
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

I never said the Roman Empire fell due to Homos, but I did say that when it fell, Homos.ex.uality was rampant.

Ok, but I'd like to see your evidence that homos.exuality was rampant at the time Rome fell.

Just give an argument to support your claim.

Homos.exuality was illegal at the time the empire fell, so your contention seems baseless.

I've presented you my evidence but you've only repeated yourself a few times now.

Let's hope the fourth time's a charm.
event horizon

Re: Pro-speech Or Pro-censorship? Apr 15, 2011
@Bora: Yes, I have this "responsibility" thrust on me now to respond to EH! I fear that he feels that I am not very good at it though!
Anyway, I slog on, in the hope that it lodges in at least one or two of his few neural cells :lol:

@EH: I should not be talking too much about the Romans on this thread! However, hom.o.se.xu.ality was made illegal in the Roman Empire with the advent of Christianity. Has it ever occurred to you why anyone would go to the trouble of making something illegal (against the law) if it was not causing any problems in that society? I doubt if you can make that connection. Going by the way you parrot "Your Koran, my Koran", I am just wasting my time!
zonker
BANNED

Re: Pro-speech or Pro-censorship? Apr 15, 2011
Murder is illegal in Dubai but I don't think that means murder is rampant.

But I guess you're right, it would be a waste of time to respond to a mental midget such as yourself.
event horizon

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk