Helen Thomas: Freedom Of Speech?

Topic locked
Helen Thomas: Freedom of Speech? Oct 13, 2010
Thomas was fired for making these comments

"Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine," she replied.

"Remember, these people are occupied and it's their land. It's not Germany, it's not Poland," she continued. Asked where they should go, she answered, "They should go home."

"Where's home?" Nesenoff asked.

"Poland, Germany and America and everywhere else," Thomas replied.

But as she notes below, in the controversy some commentators left out the reference to America and 'everywhere else'.. but there is also the general point about criticism of Israel:

Helen Thomas: You cannot criticize Israel in the U.S. and survive
Former White House correspondent Helen Thomas stands by her controversial remarks on Israel that led to her retirement.
By The Associated Press

Former White House correspondent Helen Thomas has acknowledged she touched a nerve with remarks about Israel that led to her retirement. But she says the comments were "exactly what I thought," even though she realized soon afterward that it was the end of her job.

"I hit the third rail. You cannot criticize Israel in this country and survive," Thomas told Ohio station WMRN-AM in a sometimes emotional 35-minute interview that aired Tuesday. It was recorded a week earlier by WMRN reporter Scott Spears at Thomas' Washington, D.C., condominium.

Thomas, 90, stepped down from her job as a columnist for Hearst News Service in June after a rabbi and independent filmmaker videotaped her outside the White House calling on Israelis to get "out of Palestine." She gave up her front row seat in the White House press room, where she had aimed often pointed questions at 10 presidents, going back to Eisenhower.

She has kept a low profile since then.

"(It was) very hard for the first two weeks. After that, I came out of my coma," said Thomas, whose parents immigrated to the U.S. from Lebanon.

Rabbi David Nesenoff, who runs the website rabbilive.com, said he approached Thomas after he'd been at the White House for Jewish Heritage Day on May 27. He asked whether she had any comments on Israel.

"Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine," she replied.

"Remember, these people are occupied and it's their land. It's not Germany, it's not Poland," she continued. Asked where they should go, she answered, "They should go home."

"Poland, Germany and America and everywhere else," Thomas replied.

"I told him exactly what I thought," she told Spears, who said during the interview that some accounts left off her reference to America. Thomas did not disagree.

"I was not talking about Auschwitz or anything else," she said.

"They distorted my remarks, which they obviously have to do for their own propaganda purposes, otherwise people might wonder why they continue to take Palestinian land," said Thomas. There was no explanation of whom "they" referred to.

When she soon began getting calls about her remark, "I said this is the end of my job."

She issued an apology, she told the radio interviewer, because people were upset and she thought she had hurt people. "At the same time, I had the same feelings about Israel's aggression and brutality," Thomas said.

Asked whether she's anti-Semitic, she responded "Baloney!" She said she wants to be remembered for "integrity and my honesty and my belief in good journalism" and would like to work again.

Spears said Thomas granted him the interview because the two had developed a friendship during previous interviews she had done with the station in Marion, some 70 kilometres north of Columbus, Ohio.

Their discussion also touched on current politics, particularly on women.

Thomas described Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as "a hawk." ''I thought women in politics would have more compassion, be more liberal," Thomas said.

As for Sarah Palin, Thomas said she believed the former Alaska governor and Republican vice-presidential candidate was ambitious enough to run for president.

"That would be a tragedy, a national tragedy," she said, describing Palin as "very conservative, reactionary, unbelievable."

Asked about tea party-backed Republican Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell, Thomas responded with one word: "Frightening."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/internation ... e-1.318705

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Helen Thomas: Freedom of Speech? Oct 13, 2010
Uh, a private employer firing Helen Thomas for what she said would not be a freedom of speech issue.

Anyways, I'll wait for when any loon comes to the defense of the New Jersey train operator who was fired because he burned a Koran at a rally.

That would be a bigger free speech issue than Helen Thomas.
event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Helen Thomas: Freedom Of Speech? Oct 13, 2010
Surely not a 'whataboutery' argument from the young loon? ;)

dubai-politics-talk/what-about-ery-t42765.html

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Uh, no. My main point is pointing out your ignorance when you associate Helen Thomas losing her job for what she said to free speech.

My other point is also valid: If you criticize Islam, you can lose your job. But unlike Helen Thomas, I do not believe the train conductor was under any behavioral clause for what he can say or do in public as long as it is legal. The train conductor lost his job after legally burning the Koran in a public protest. That's more of a free speech issue than when a member of the media loses their job for what they say.

So, were you unaware of the fact that Helen Thomas' firing was not an infringement of free speech?
event horizon

Young loon, the article is quite clear - she says that anyone who is critical of Israel cannot survive:

"I hit the third rail. You cannot criticize Israel in this country and survive,"

She exercised her right of Free Speech, spoke her mind (and stated that emigrants from America to Israel and Palestine are the source of the problems there) - and was fired.

What's your view on her exercising her right to free speech? Is she right that criticising Israel is a taboo?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Wow, you really are dumber than I imagined.

A private employer firing Helen Thomas for what she said is not a free speech issue.

Seriously, read literature on the subject before I shake my head any further in your abject stupidity.
event horizon

I'm honoured at you sharing your views and avoiding the questions asked.

Loon evasion at its finest.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

BTW - how is the talking donkey research coming along?
philosophy-dubai/talking-donkeys-bible-evasion-t42810.html

I hope you find the time to meet up with gadfly for the coffee - perhaps you could meet him half way - say in Dearborn, Michigan?
:mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Helen Thomas: Freedom of Speech? Oct 14, 2010
EH … C’mon man!!! What’re you trying to do?? Calling Day Night and Night Day??

Helen Thomas was clearly fired because of exercising her right (under the US Constitution) for free speech (by expressing her own opinion.)

Just like Rick Sanchez, the afternoon anchorman of CNN, who recently got fired because he insinuated that the Jews controlled the US media.

Just like the US Congress librarian woman who got fired after 25 years of service by New Gingrich (the then House Speaker) because she allowed a book, casting doubt on the Holocaust, to be shelved in the Library of Congress.

You have to admit it, my friend. Jews, despite their small numbers, do, in fact, yield a lot of power in America.

And I honestly admire them for that. The are good. They knew how to bend the system to their advantage!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Helen Thomas: Freedom Of Speech? Oct 14, 2010
Yes the Jewish lobby is powerfull indeed and not just in the US.
desertdudeshj

Tom, if Helen Thomas' firing was an infringement of her constitutional rights as an American, perhaps the ACLU would be suing her private employer at the moment and the Israeli article linked to would actually make the claim that her first amendment rights had been violated?

As our laws currently stand, you have the right to free speech but you also have potential consequences to your free speech. Members of the media are especially vulnerable over what they can say because as part of their employment to mainstream news organizations, journalists like Helen Thomas typically have 'morality' clauses they sign and are to adhere to as part of their employment.

That's why I brought up the train conductor who was fired from his job after he burned a Koran. I doubt he signed any type of morality clause with his employer that forbade him from engaging in so-called risky but legal behavior in public like Helen Thomas would have been. His firing was certainly more controversial based on this fact than Helen Thomas' was.
event horizon

So, Helen Thomas was right then - the consequences of exercising the constitutional right of Freedom of Speech when criticising Israel are dire?

Do loons go on special courses that teach you how to miss the wood for the trees? I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if you commented on seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time 'Yes, but where are all the trees? I bet the Muslims cut them down..' !! :shock:

:)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sure, just as any journalist would be fired from their employer if they publicly said Mexicans should go back to Mexico or any other country as long as it's not here.

But the idiot logic on this thread is amazing. You can call your boss an idiot and expect to not be fired because of 'free speech'.

Free speech! Free speech!

Holland, MI —

Does exercising your freedom of speech mean sacrificing your job? Two stories in the news, one of them from Michigan, raise interesting questions about the extent and limits of Americans’ right to free speech.

The first involves a New Jersey railroad worker named Derek Fenton who, on Sept. 11, publicly burned a Quran at the site of the proposed Islamic center near Ground Zero in New York City. Fenton was detained by police, but was released without charge. The next day though his photo showed up in the paper and the day after his employer, NJ Transit, fired him for violating the state employee code of ethics. Defenders say the firing violated Fenton’s freedom of expression.

The other story concerns Andrew Shirvell, a Michigan assistant attorney general who has used his personal blog to attack Chris Armstrong, the openly gay leader of the University of Michigan student assembly, calling him a racist with a “radical homosexual agenda” and superimposing a swastika over a photo of him. However, his employer, Attorney General Mike Cox, says that while Shrivell’s off-duty expression is distasteful, it’s protected by his right to free speech.

So does an employer have any right to control what we do and say outside of work hours? Can employers legally abridge our free speech?

Strictly speaking, Fenton’s right to free speech was never abridged. No one stopped Fenton from burning the Quran. New York police didn’t charge him with any crime. But the right to free speech doesn’t mean we’re protected from negative fallout from what we’ve said.

Few people question that an employer has the right not to be publicly embarrassed by an employee. CNN anchor Rick Sanchez was the latest public figure to be fired for that, after he turned criticism of his nemesis Jon Stewart of “The Daily Show” into a rant about Jews controlling the media in a radio interview. Many companies have ethics codes explicitly stating that. Making racist jokes at a party at your home may not reflect on your employer, but doing the same thing in front of customers or at a trade show does. Sure, you have the constitutional right to flame your boss on your Facebook page — we all have a right to be stupid. But no one should be surprised or offended when they get sacked for it.

The appearance of a conflict of interest created by your free speech can legitimately affect your work status as well. This is an ethical question that I’ve dealt with several times both as a supervisor and as a reporter. A Sentinel reporter participating in a protest at a city council meeting or making a significant contribution to a local political candidate would certainly have a hard time convincing readers of his or her objectivity covering the council or politics beat — and bring into question the objectivity of the paper as a whole.

But was there a legitimate reason to fire Derek Fenton? Fenton was hardly a public representative of NJ Transit. He wasn’t wearing a uniform at the protest and didn’t identify himself as an agency employee. His job as a train coordinator was neither a leadership position nor one that involved regular public contact. It would be hard to say he endangered the transit agency or compromised its operations in any way.

Shirvell is in a different situation, in my view. Assistant attorney general is a far more public position than a train coordinator and Shirvell’s public actions could conceivably call into question the credibility of the attorney general’s office in dealing with any case involving gay rights. And Shirvell’s behavior went beyond the political and ideological into the realm of the obsessive, including videotaping a party at Armstrong’s house. Almost any employer would be embarrassed by that kind of public behavior.

Update: A hearing on Armstrong’s request for a personal protection order against Armstrong was scheduled Monday afternoon in Ann Arbor. Last week, Shirvell took a leave from his position with the attorney general’s office.

The First Amendment seems so clear, but applying it in practice can get pretty complicated. Perhaps some people need to be reminded that freedom of speech carries with it the responsibility of dealing with the consequences of their expression.

http://www.hollandsentinel.com/opinions ... -be-costly
event horizon

So, criticising Israel is equal to calling your boss an idiot!

In a way, that is what Helen is saying.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Yes, saying that Israeli Jews should go back to Europe is the equivalent to saying that Mexicans should go back to Mexico.
event horizon

I'm surprised that you are equating people stealing land with Mexicans. Do you hate them as well - or is it just Muslims and those critical of Israel?

Let's not forget she said that the emigrants occupying Palestinian land (not Israel proper) including those from America should go back home:

"Poland, Germany and America and everywhere else," Thomas replied

Baruch Goldstein, the religious terrorist, was an American doctor who chose to go and live in Palestinian area (Hebron) - had he not been so bent on colonisation, the victims of his massacre would still be alive. (Although he did belong to the terrorist group the JDL who carried out bombings in the US... hmm)

What is most telling is that there's no condemnation from eh of Baruch Goldstein's religously motivated terrorism because of a blind support of all things Israeli.

Thomas seems to be completely correct.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

How dare you Shaf, are you a holocaust denier aswell !
desertdudeshj

Re: Helen Thomas: Freedom of Speech? Oct 15, 2010
Woah, what fantasy land are you living in?

Helen Thomas wasn't referring to 'settlers', she was referring to all Jewish Israelis.

Here's the complete quote, in context:

Nesenoff: Any comments on Israel? We're asking everybody today, any comments on Israel?

Thomas: Tell them to get the hell out of Palestine.

Nesenoff: Oooh. Any better comments on Israel?

Thomas: Remember, these people are occupied and it's their land. It's not German, it's not Poland ...

Nesenoff: So where should they go, what should they do?

Thomas: They go home.

Nesenoff: Where's the home?

Thomas: Poland, Germany and America and everywhere else[55]

Nesenoff: So you're saying the Jews go back to Poland and Germany?

Thomas: And America and everywhere else. Why push people out of there who have lived there for centuries? See?
event horizon

Re: Helen Thomas: Freedom Of Speech? Oct 15, 2010
LOL

Young loon - you are embarrassing yourself.

Thomas: And America and everywhere else. Why push people out of there who have lived there for centuries? See?

Why indeed?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I'm sorry, where does your post address the quote from Helen Thomas calling for all Israeli Jews to get the hell out of Palestine even attempt to show that she was referring only to settlers?

Oh, and perhaps Helen is laboring under the loon interpretation of history that the Israelis ethnically cleansed hundreds of thousands of Arabs from Palestine.

The facts speak for themselves. Why you're parroting historical myth is curious.

But I'm happy to go back to my previous statement - a journalist would lose their job just as fast from any mainstream media network if they said the same thing of Mexicans getting the hell out of America as Helen Thomas had said about the Jews.
event horizon

We all know what makes you happy eh.

But why are you equating Mexicans with people who steal the land of people - surely you've got it the wrong way round?

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Tom Jones wrote:Jews, despite their small numbers, do, in fact, yield a lot of power in America

The Arab lobby in the US is more powerfull IMO than the pro-Israel lobby, despite their even smaller numbers. Constantly singling out one ethnicity for their perceived unproportional power is stinky.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

LOL

Nice one FD. You don't agree with Pam Geller and Spencer that Obama may be a Muslim too - do you?

Thanks for sharing your belief about the 'Arab lobby' in the US (are they the ones that want to impose Sharia in the US as some loons believe??)

:) :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

ROFLMAO. Everybody is obviously allowed to question the pro-Israeli lobby, while mentioning one time the Arab lobby, it is replied as above.

:roll: :shock:

Guess that exactly proves my point :idea:
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Hey, I'm all for freedom of speech.

I love to hear guys talk about the flat earth, Nasa conspiracy and now the 'powerful' Arab lobby. As I said, I'm glad you shared your belief with us - humour is always welcome.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Could be that I missed a worldwide/US condemnation of Saudi bombing in Yemen including civilians. Until now the silence is deafening...Where the US pressures Israel every time to stop ASAP when it wants to protect itself, KSA p.e. can bomb at free will.

As much I donot believe Indians (from the country India) donot control New-Zealand media (after the d!ck sh!t remark), I also donot believe jews control US media.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

So the under-reporting of deaths of Muslims caused by a major US ally is due to the powerful Arab lobby? Hmm.

Saddam Hussein was an Arab, wasn't he? When did the Arab lobby stop supporting him - was it before or after Rumsfeld visited him?

Interesting theory that this amounts to a lobby that is more powerful than the Jewish lobby. I admire your support for the Israeli cause and your imagination.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Saddam Hussein was an Arab, wasn't he? When did the Arab lobby stop supporting him

After he became a liability for other oil producing Arab countries.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Was that when he started selling oil in Euros?

Or was it when the US told them that Saddam had become a liability?

Strange lobby - seems to do what the US wills rather than the other way round. You haven't thought this one through, have you FD? C'mon admit it. ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:Hey, I'm all for freedom of speech.

I love to hear guys talk about the flat earth, Nasa conspiracy and now the 'powerful' Arab lobby. As I said, I'm glad you shared your belief with us - humour is always welcome.

Cheers,
Shafique

Why do you need to tell others that you're for freedom of speech when your past statements have shown that you do no actually support any true definition of the term freedom of speech?

-- Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:16 pm --

shafique wrote:We all know what makes you happy eh.

But why are you equating Mexicans with people who steal the land of people - surely you've got it the wrong way round?

Cheers,
Shafique

I haven't brought up Pakistan/India.

Only mentioned that Helen Thomas said that all Israelis Jews should get off the land they were born on - imagine the reaction if a senior journalist, like Walter Cronkite, said the same of Mexicans (who stole the land from Ameri-Indians) that they should go back to wherever they came from?
event horizon

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk