Persian Gulf Vs Arabian Gulf Name Dispute

Topic locked
Persian Gulf vs Arabian Gulf name dispute May 18, 2012
Some nice 'mistakes' in there! It's the Arabian Gulf NOT the Persian Gulf and 140 KILOMETRES per hour NOT Miles! And she's still breaking the speed limit.

Bloody Yanks.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: Women Of Dubai May 18, 2012
"Bloody Yanks"?? :roll: :roll:
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Women of Dubai May 18, 2012
Chocs, I dont know how many times we have this debate on the forums, that IT IS PERSIAN GULF!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Depends where you come from Mel, in the UAE it's referred to as the Arabian Gulf. The majority of GCC countries also refer to it as that.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

No, it is a fact that the name is "Persian Gulf". Some Arabs might call England, Arabland, would you repeat it after them?
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

No, Mel. My mother used to work for BP here, they had a bunch of stuff printed up with Persian Gulf, then had to send it all back and change it because it was objected to.

Just shouted over to my Emirati workmate whose reply was 'You're in the UAE, you call it the Arabian Gulf'.

The Arab League calls it the Arabian Gulf, as does the United Nations in their official language which is Arabic.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

i used to work for BP as well and on their maps showing their Well locations it's referred to as the arabian gulf. the NOC's in the GCC are sensitive to that.
nuzbim
Dubai forums Addict

Heard Iran is threathing to sue Google over labeling it as the Arabian Gulf and not Persian ! lol

http://news.yahoo.com/iran-threatens-su ... 06604.html

BTW just my own perspective, Iran itself does not call itself Persia, persia or persian in my view is defunct, so no harm in renaming it as Arabian Gulf.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

I don't see anything wrong with it being called Arabian Gulf either.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

well as you are not Iranians I don't expect any of you to feel any harm about it.

DDS, We call it Khalij-e-Fars, Fars is the same as persian and Gulf means Khalij.

--- Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 pm ---

And your comments are all very unthoughtfull. As I said how do you feel if anyone tries to change an entity belong to your country? (assuming you have one!)
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

The entire Gulf is under Iranian ownership?
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Women of Dubai May 18, 2012
It is a name Kanelli, it is not about ownership. It was named at the time of Empire of Persia. In this forums there is dozens of threads discussing about the roots of the name and how some arabs (not all of them) tried to change it in the recent years.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

I was just saying, since the name persia itself does not exist, then why not ? If today Iran was called Persia, the argument might hold water. In todays world its even more suitable and sine 7 Arab countries surround it. At the end of the day you can call it Bob, doesn't change a thing.
desertdudeshj

Re: Women Of Dubai May 19, 2012
Historically it's the Persian Gulf. I consider it to be more appropriate to call it the Persian Gulf.
justcurious
Dubai Forum User

Re: Women of Dubai May 19, 2012
desertdudeshj wrote:I was just saying, since the name persia itself does not exist, then why not ? If today Iran was called Persia, the argument might hold water. In todays world its even more suitable and sine 7 Arab countries surround it. At the end of the day you can call it Bob, doesn't change a thing.

Well as I said I don't expect you to understand my feelings here as you don't have any country.

So what do you think Iran calls "IT", if not "Persian Gulf"?

justcurious wrote:Historically it's the Persian Gulf. I consider it to be more appropriate to call it the Persian Gulf.

Thank you!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Well Iran seems to think it can do what it likes these days. erm what about the UAE threatening it over their occupation of one of it's islands? They're pretty fed up of that.

Persia does not exit anymore. History changes, how many countries are called something new now? Hostiry doesn't hold much weight in certain cases. The Iranian's and certain other nationalities can call it what they like, the simple fact of the matter is, that the UAE and other GCC countries will ALWAYS refer to it as the Arabian Gulf.

er do we have to Persian Gulf rugby team? No we don't, we have the Arabian Gulf rugby team.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

I vote for it to be called Arabian Gulf. Argument settled. End of! 8)

What is all this about great this and great that, and great Empire of the Persians. That was smashed by Alexander of Macedonia (also known as Alexander the Great) a couple of thousand years ago. End of story. Read about it on Google! :P

The Arabs now have all the right to call it ARABIAN GULF. :D
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Chocoholic wrote:Well Iran seems to think it can do what it likes these days. erm what about the UAE threatening it over their occupation of one of it's islands? They're pretty fed up of that.

Persia does not exit anymore. History changes, how many countries are called something new now? Hostiry doesn't hold much weight in certain cases. The Iranian's and certain other nationalities can call it what they like, the simple fact of the matter is, that the UAE and other GCC countries will ALWAYS refer to it as the Arabian Gulf.

er do we have to Persian Gulf rugby team? No we don't, we have the Arabian Gulf rugby team.

hahahaha of course Islands belong to Iran! How old is UAE anyway? like 37, and claiming for the islans!??? What do you know about history anyways?!

yes you are right, the name of rugby teams certainly have big roles in naming the entities! :lol: :lol:

Well I will leave you to your superficial opinions and arguements, you can call it Bob as the "Expert" said, it's not like your opinion would change anything!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Frequentflier , couldn't agree more, those days are long gone. Some peeps just can't move forward it seems.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

^^^ I wish you had the ability to understand this is not about Great Empire of Persia. It is about a name of an entity that doesn't change just because Arabs pay you more money than Iran! :lol:
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Mel what are the total coastal areas of arabian nations, compared to iranian ones in the gulf? I think it is nearly half, if this true than I'd say in this century it would be politically correct to say it is either persian or arabian gulf.
Berrin
Dubai Forums Veteran

No one is saying it can't be called the Persian Gulf, by SOME people. My argument is that the UAE and other GCC countries call it the Arabian Gulf - which is a fact!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Any nation making claim to a sea (or gulf in this case) is like 2 fleas arguing about which one owns the dog. It was here before Iran was Persia or before the GCC states were called Arabia so I reckon they should call it 'The Gulf' as this is neutral. It is also a word that neatly describes the gulf between the cultures.

:? :? :?

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Women Of Dubai May 24, 2012
melika969........ wrote:because Arabs pay you more money than Iran!

Exactly! Its all about the money :D .
Now you've got it. Follow what it says on your signature! Maybe Iran will be Great some day again, but dont hold your collective breath.
Its not at all Great now :P :P
Frequentflier
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Women Of Dubai May 31, 2012
i guess we could go ahead and say that bahrain is the 14th county of iran as iran claims.

the gulf is arabian and the three islands are emiraty

the end

oh, and yes, iran will never be great again.
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Guten morgan! i dont speak dutch lol coz i'm not lol
general_A
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Women of Dubai May 31, 2012
general_A wrote:
the gulf is arabian and the three islands are emiraty

Oh yes, you can say that whenever you dared to put your feet in the islands! :lol: :lol:

general_A wrote:
oh, and yes, iran will never be great again.

At least it has been great sometime! and nobody knows about future

what about your country? it has been a country just for 37 years and what your people do there is just crap! Europeans are doing all the planning and Indians and Philipinoes are doing the hard work!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

from Wikipedia (which btw is not influenced by $$$)

"Historically and internationally [2] [3] [4] known as the Persian Gulf, this body of water is sometimes controversially referred to as the Arabian Gulf or simply The Gulf by most Arab states, although neither of the latter two terms are recognized internationally. The name Gulf of Iran (Persian Gulf) is used by the International Hydrographic Organization. [6] "

Since Arabian Gulf may refer to any of the following:

Persian Gulf, a body of water sometimes controversially referred to as the Arabian Gulf or The Gulf by some Arab countries
Red Sea, in geographical works from ancient times to the 19th century
Khalij el-Arab, near Alexandria, Egypt, translates to English as the "Arab Gulf", or "The Arabs' Gulf"

Because of this possible confusion, I don't think Persian Gulf will anytime soon be called Arabian Gulf internationally.
If you want to call it this way in UAE or any other Arabic country it's ok, but if you want to be understood by a non Arab abroad it is better to use the "Persian Gulf" name.
Just check the Wikipedia link and look at various languages in every language the name is Persian Gulf.
DFT
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Persian Gulf Vs Arabian Gulf Name Dispute Jun 02, 2012
No Malika , I kind of disagree with some of your points , it used to be called Khaleej Al Furs , and that is when the persian empire ruled that part of that part of the world for many years before Islam, later that area was conquered by the Arabs. the Gulf is now called " Al Akhaleej Al Arabi " Arabian Gulf hence the common name ( Duwal Al Khaleej ) Gulf States. Unless Iranians you would like to pursue the Iranian hidden agenda or Plot to rule the Gulf states, then we have some other stuff to talk about.
mesheditor
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk