Intermarriage Worries Gulf States

Topic locked
Intermarriage worries Gulf states Mar 28, 2010
Marriage between relatives is seen as distasteful within some cultures, but it has been a common feature in many others for thousands of years.

However, growing evidence has shown that children born to parents from the same extended family face a higher risk of developing a range of health problems.

Research from 2008 shows that marriage between cousins in the US, Europe, Russia and Australia is less than one per cent.

In countries such as Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Qatar, more than half of the population marry a spouse who is considered a relative.

Some of these countries and a number of African and Asian countries have the world's highest rates of birth defects - up to 69 cases in every thousand people.

Some experts say the real figure is much higher. Like its Gulf neighbours, Qatar has now made pre-marital medical tests mandatory.

Khalid bin Jabor al-Thani, the chairman of Qatar's cancer society and former deputy director of its national health authority, told Al Jazeera that inter-family marriages are tolerated because they are the product of "tribal traditions".

"The tolerance comes from people who used to live in very remote areas and tribes would always want to keep their blood within the family and not go outside," he said.

"In Islamic religion it is always advisable to go outside the family. But since this has [been happening] for such a long time ago, and has been carried forward, it [is] one of the issues that people overlook."

Al Jazeera's Charles Stratford reports from Doha.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/middl ... 13561.html

event horizon
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Mar 28, 2010
Yeah…it’s a serious problem in the Gulf countries!!!

It can only be solved by education, effective premarital health screening and allowing their citizens to marry foreigners.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Mar 29, 2010
It's very worrying, Tom.

Especially generation after generation of inbreed couples marrying and having children.

It's one thing to just one day marry your first cousin - as distasteful as that is to non-Muslims, but to marry within the family if you were the spawn of an incestuous union (and your parents and so on) means that you or your children will have a much higher risk of birth defects - much higher than simply marrying your first cousin if you do not you and your cousin's family does not have a history of inbreeding.
event horizon

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Mar 30, 2010
event horizon wrote:It's very worrying, Tom.

Especially generation after generation of inbreed couples marrying and having children.

It's one thing to just one day marry your first cousin - as distasteful as that is to non-Muslims, but to marry within the family if you were the spawn of an incestuous union (and your parents and so on) means that you or your children will have a much higher risk of birth defects - much higher than simply marrying your first cousin if you do not you and your cousin's family does not have a history of inbreeding.

Isn’t the first cousin the CLOSEST relative that a Moslem can marry????

:? :?
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Mar 31, 2010
Yes - but you can also marry your daughter-in-law.

Muhammad married his daughter-in-law and his first cousin after he became aroused by her.

:(
event horizon

event horizon wrote:Yes - but you can also marry your daughter-in-law.

Muhammad married his daughter-in-law and his first cousin after he became aroused by her.

I checked with a Moslem colleague on this point. The woman you’re referring to wasn’t Mohammed’s daughter in law by blood. But she was his first cousin (Aunt’s daughter).

This woman, named Zainub, was married to a former slave who worked for Mohammed, named Zaid. Zaid was later adopted by Mohammed as a son. The marriage ended up in divorce because Zainub used to scorn and ridicule Zaid constantly for being a former slave.

Mohammed then married her.

I thought I’d throw this in. Not sure how true that is.

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Yes _ the Prophet, pbuh, marry his cousin after her divorce. He had arranged her marriage with his adopted son and felt responsible when the marriage broke down.

Muslims view his example of marrying divorcees as being ahead of it's time - most societies would not condone divorce for at least a millenium later.

The orientalist spin is that Muhammad did a David - but this is not what I subscribe to.

Cheers
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Apr 08, 2010
event horizon wrote:Yes - but you can also marry your daughter-in-law.

You might wanna watch your language next time.
You resemble nothing but ignorance & disrespect.

There are millions of ways to express your thoughts respectfully rather than your "on-purpose" disrespect.
We Muslims for the past 1400 years and forever never change our respectfull way when refering to our prophet Mohammad (PBUH), and freedom of speech does not allow you to disrespect him.
Keep your trashy thoughts for yourself and enjoy it with those of your own kind.
symmetric
BANNED

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Apr 09, 2010
Keep your trashy thoughts for yourself and enjoy it with those of your own kind.

Trashy thoughts are not event horizon's. It's for the person who actually has done the trashy acts!!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Apr 10, 2010
melika969 wrote:

Trashy thoughts are not event horizon's. It's for the person who actually has done the trashy acts!!

Save it Melika!

My comment clearly is pointed at the ON-PURPOSE insult towards prophet Mohammd from this jerk EH.
I am proudly a Muslim, and I reject any insult against my religion. You don't see me attacking other's religions, do you?

Respect others the way you expect them to respect you. Enough said!
symmetric
BANNED

symmetric wrote:
melika969 wrote:

Save it Melika!

My comment clearly is pointed at the ON-PURPOSE insult towards prophet Mohammd from this jerk EH.
I am proudly a Muslim, and I reject any insult against my religion. You don't see me attacking other's religions, do you?

You should learn not to allow one's ignorance to upset you. Respect is earned, not demanded. EH will never earn any respect.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Tom Jones wrote:Yeah…it’s a serious problem in the Gulf countries!!!

It can only be solved by education, effective premarital health screening and allowing their citizens to marry foreigners.

8) 8)

Tom, we have the same problem in our own backyard. Rednecks, hillbillies, religious groups. All of who aren't educated, no premarital health screening required and they don't need or want to marry foreigners!! I believe they are the ones that wanted Sarah Palin for president. :bom:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Bora Bora wrote:
You should learn not to allow one's ignorance to upset you. Respect is earned, not demanded.
EH will never earn any respect.

I hear you Bora Bora, & I couldn't agree more :wink:
symmetric
BANNED

Bora Bora wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:Yeah…it’s a serious problem in the Gulf countries!!!

8) 8)

Tom, we have the same problem in our own backyard. Rednecks, hillbillies, religious groups. All of who aren't educated, no premarital health screening required and they don't need or want to marry foreigners!! I believe they are the ones that wanted Sarah Palin for president. :bom:

Ha..ha..ha……!!!!

And the scary part is that there is so damn many of’em…

No wonder that total airhead (Plain) talks like a potential presidential candidate for 2012. While she is being cheered on by the other nitwits at Fox News!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

:evil: :evil:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Intermarriage worries Gulf states Apr 11, 2010
symmetric wrote:
melika969 wrote:

Save it Melika!

Oy, Symmetry. Mel is right and if EH thinks he's right, let him speak out. Its his basic human right.

If you look at it objectively, EH makes a very good point which you don't have to agree with. The fact that it insults you is something you should deal with internally, but your religious conviction cannot be pushed on others. NEVER.

Respect is earned, but you won't earn much respect in my eyes if you defend 7th century practises just because its your religion. That is of limited vision and that is also why wars between faith and religions are so common over the course of history. Many wars have been fought over religious differences and pride. Dumb dumb dumb.

The Atheist has got it easy on this one (or difficult). We say what we want and whenever we want, depending on the respect we want to earn in that particular situation. If we feel the need to be sensible to other cultures, we adapt and limit our conviction as we speak out. If we want to speak our hearts out for moral justice, we do so. But either way, respect is earned (or not) by how and when we approach each situation.

If you want your prophet to be guarded, keep your religion to yourself and in private. If you use religion in public, you can expect different visions, different opinions and YOU have to respect those opinions of your fellow human beings.

If you don't, you can't expect respect from others on this subject. People speak out, especially on fora where the dagger remains dug. Freedom of speech rules the internet. Get used to it and stop being a jerk with limited vision.

Khalas.

RobbyG

I was not gonna post under this topic anymore, but following Rob's statement I wanna add one thing. this is what they do to you with religion, they fill your mind with nonsense cocepts about God and Prophet and they make you so weak and scared that you do not even dare to doubt it! which are absolutely wrong and inappropraite.

Then they will use it in politics to urge you to FIGHT nonbelievers! Because they are DISRESPECTING your religion and your prophet.

Simple!

Besides dont tell me you dont disrespect other religions. I have seen times you disrespect Shia muslims in this forums, which is very very close to you, they share the same GOD,the same prophet and the same Book!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

RobbyG wrote:
Oy, Symmetry. Mel is right and if EH thinks he's right, let him speak out. Its his basic human right.

If you look at it objectively, EH makes a very good point which you don't have to agree with. The fact that it insults you is something you should deal with internally, but your religious conviction cannot be pushed on others. NEVER.

Respect is earned, but you won't earn much respect in my eyes if you defend 7th century practises just because its your religion. That is of limited vision and that is also why wars between faith and religions are so common over the course of history. Many wars have been fought over religious differences and pride. Dumb dumb dumb.

The Atheist has got it easy on this one (or difficult). We say what we want and whenever we want, depending on the respect we want to earn in that particular situation. If we feel the need to be sensible to other cultures, we adapt and limit our conviction as we speak out. If we want to speak our hearts out for moral justice, we do so. But either way, respect is earned (or not) by how and when we approach each situation.

If you want your prophet to be guarded, keep your religion to yourself and in private. If you use religion in public, you can expect different visions, different opinions and YOU have to respect those opinions of your fellow human beings.

If you don't, you can't expect respect from others on this subject. People speak out, especially on fora where the dagger remains dug. Freedom of speech rules the internet. Get used to it and stop being a jerk with limited vision.

Khalas.

You may apply this in your own society of atheists, in a place where people with religion don't exist!

I totally disrespect some aspects in secularity, but do you see me offending it in public? So does that make you feel that secularism is the main international thinking-style now? Certainly NO!

Who do you think you are giving me a lecture on respect, when you, yourself are really acting so extreme with you're secularism. Have you got some brain? Then use it properly and understand that I don't share your extreme secular thoughts, thus I will surely be offended if someone disrespected my prophet in my presence. Not because my religion urges me to defend him, but it's a matter of RESPECT.

Part of the ethical code among religions is to respect each other's religious symbols IN PUBLIC, but if one group of the same religion existed somewhere alone, then they're free to say whatever they want, just like how atheists are free to curse any God they want of any religion in their own gatherings. But the most important thing is to avoid offending anyone in public.

As I said, there are PLENTY of ways to express your thoughts, but the "on-purpose" and continous specific insults from EH was unacceptable, and that's why I raised my voice up. CLEARLY he keeps on bashing Islam and prophet Mohammad (PBUH), and he may feel freeeee to share this with other seculars or atheists, but not in a place where Muslims exist, because that will surely offend us, and this is beyond the freedom of speech.

I repeat .. Freedom of speech, does NOT allow you to disrespect others!
How come you expect others to respect you, when you disrespect them! To me, offending my religion in my presence is an insult, so make sure you don't do that, in order to maintain the respect among us.

Secularism can be as extreme as religion, so perhaps its you who might want to stop being a jerk for forcing your extreme secularism on moderate religious people like myself.

Now if what I said insults your secular thoughts, perhaps U might have to deal with it internally :drunken:

Have a good day Sir!
symmetric
BANNED

melika969 wrote:I was not gonna post under this topic anymore, but following Rob's statement I wanna add one thing. this is what they do to you with religion, they fill your mind with nonsense cocepts about God and Prophet and they make you so weak and scared that you do not even dare to doubt it! which are absolutely wrong and inappropraite.
Then they will use it in politics to urge you to FIGHT nonbelievers! Because they are DISRESPECTING your religion and your prophet.

This is the result of extreme religious mentality that we moderate religious people REJECT.
For instance, in Iran (Shiism) & KSA (Wahhabism)!
Yet, politically Iran's shiite extremists are worse, and thats why you got huge anger and I understand that, but you shouldn't let that turn you into an extreme secularist by attacking religious symbols so freely with disregard to others. Moderate religious people are the vast majority, and they are fighting the extreme ones.

melika969 wrote:Besides dont tell me you dont disrespect other religions. I have seen times you disrespect Shia muslims in this forums, which is very very close to you, they share the same GOD,the same prophet and the same Book!

Are you telling me that "Shiism" is another religion?
If Shiism (as you said) shares the same God, prophet, and book of mine, then how did I attack my own main religious symbols?!
Perhaps you might want to say it's a different sector.

Anyways ..
I attacked the extreme policial dimensions of Shiism, and not any religious symbol.
symmetric
BANNED

You are not a moderate religious, if u were; one word of event horizon would not make you this angry!

No I did not mean Shia is another religion. so you accepted that you attacked another sector(Shia), another set of beliefs, which you should respect in public!

You attacked Iran’s regime, and you call them Shia. And you implied that all their acts are resulted from Shia beliefs. as you MAY know, their behavior is not accepted even in Shia. So you can not blame their acts on just shia, it is all about Islam! As they call themselves ISlAMIC not just Shia!

I’m not a victim, being a victim is something you choose. I don’t let myself to be a victim. If you want to be one, it is definitely your choice!

P.S. Ok now you have edited your post and that makes some parts of my post unnecessary! but i m not gonna changeit anyways
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:You are not a moderate religious, if u were; one word of event horizon would not make you this angry!

No I did not mean Shia is another religion. so you accepted that you attacked another sector(Shia), another set of beliefs, which you should respect in public!

You attacked Iran’s regime, and you call them Shia. And you implied that all their acts are resulted from Shia beliefs. as you MAY know, their behavior is not accepted even in Shia. So you can not blame their acts on just shia, it is all about Islam! As they call themselves ISlAMIC not just Shia!

I’m not a victim, being a victim is something you choose. I don’t let myself to be a victim. If you want to be one, it is definitely your choice!

1) Shiasm is based on politics, this is one big fact everybody in the Islamic history knows!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safavid_co ... _to_Shiism

(Although I'm not a wikipedia guy, but this article is fully based on good sources).

2) Yes I did attack their acts which is based on their political dimensions from THEIR version of Shiasm.

The "THEIR" has more to be explained by the way, although u're not into religion, but I hope you already know that the Shaism version before Safavids was DIFFERENT than the one they started in 1500's which is the extreme version, yet people did varry, but the current regime in Iran is following the extreme version, and you know this already.

But did you see me attack any Imam here??
You know believing in those Imams is part of my own religion too, so I can't contradict myself!

All main religious symbols in Shiasm is shared with Sunnism, thus you will never see me attack any main religious symbol of Shiasm because it's all Islam after all, with exception for Khomaini and again for his EXTREME POLITICS! Just equivelant to Mohammad AbdelWahab, the founder of Wahabbism, whom Sunnis are not fans of his extreme thoughts!

Why are you defending Iran's regime and asking me to respect it in public? Isn't it enough to see those millions of Iranians protesting thise regime for it's extreme religious policies??

Are you on AhmadiNejad's side now??

Are we debating religion or politics?? Be objective please, although I recommend avoiding religion since you're an atheist, aren't you?

I believe you can't distinguish between what's extreme and what's moderate in both religion and secularism, unless you're just trying to prove me wrong by anyway.
symmetric
BANNED

And by the way, it was not just "one word" from EH, there was enough of his disrespectfull comments in the other threads.
symmetric
BANNED

LOL! I think it is pretty obvious that I m not a fan of Ahmadinejad and the regime! I was saying if you expect others to respect your prophet, you should respect others beliefs too!

Please dont lecture me about religion and history, I know much more than you ever think, as if Shia is a political lie, the whole Islam is a illusion and deception of a man! (This is my opinion)

I am not an atheist and I dont like to talk about my fate.

For seperating religion and politics, please do not use "Shia Regime of Iran", by this you are connecting the regime to shia,and u disrespect Shia. you can just say "Current Regime of Iran", or "Islamic regime of Iran".
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:LOL! I think it is pretty obvious that I m not a fan of Ahmadinejad and the regime! I was saying if you expect others to respect your prophet, you should respect others beliefs too!

For a second I thought you fell in love with him :mrgreen:

So basically, you want me to accept any insults towards my beliefs from people like EH, YET you expect me to respect the way he has insulted my beliefs at the same time as part of "freedom of speech" & also ask me to respect others if I insulted them?!?! Are you just against me? Or you just contradicting yourself due to lack of balancing your own thoughts and words??

Do you want me to give up my dignity and self-respect or what!? :shock:
Sorry this doesnt apply in the logic world.

melika969 wrote:
I am not an atheist and I dont like to talk about my fate.

Feel free, but for the sake of being objective don't discuss religion with me at all, as long as you're not willing to share your own thoughts & beliefs. It will be so unclear and miss-leading.
We already agreed on that already, havent we?

======================================================================

melika969 wrote:
For seperating religion and politics, please do not use "Shia Regime of Iran", by this you are connecting the regime to shia,and u disrespect Shia. you can just say "Current Regime of Iran", or "Islamic regime of Iran".

Wait a second please .. Read the unerlined sentence, and compare it to your own words

melika969 wrote: as if Shia is a political lie, the whole Islam is a illusion and deception of a man! (This is my opinion)

Can't you see how contradictious you are?? :shock:
You ask me to respect Shia, but you already insulted it clearly yourself!

Let alone the fact that you ask me to not call the regime in Iran as Shia, but that regime's concept is ALL ABOUT SHIASM and they try to export their product to the neighbouring countries such as Bahrain & Qatar & Kuwait! There are many scandals on how that "Shia Islamic regime in Iran" had tried to cause a political chaos in those 3 states I mentioned, in addition to the endless intereference in Iraq and Lebanon, all which i totally based on their political dimensions of their Shiasm.
symmetric
BANNED

symmetric wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Khalas.

You may apply this in your own society of atheists, in a place where people with religion don't exist!

I totally disrespect some aspects in secularity, but do you see me offending it in public? So does that make you feel that secularism is the main international thinking-style now? Certainly NO!

Who do you think you are giving me a lecture on respect, when you, yourself are really acting so extreme with you're secularism. Have you got some brain? Then use it properly and understand that I don't share your extreme secular thoughts, thus I will surely be offended if someone disrespected my prophet in my presence. Not because my religion urges me to defend him, but it's a matter of RESPECT.

Part of the ethical code among religions is to respect each other's religious symbols IN PUBLIC, but if one group of the same religion existed somewhere alone, then they're free to say whatever they want, just like how atheists are free to curse any God they want of any religion in their own gatherings. But the most important thing is to avoid offending anyone in public.

As I said, there are PLENTY of ways to express your thoughts, but the "on-purpose" and continous specific insults from EH was unacceptable, and that's why I raised my voice up. CLEARLY he keeps on bashing Islam and prophet Mohammad (PBUH), and he may feel freeeee to share this with other seculars or atheists, but not in a place where Muslims exist, because that will surely offend us, and this is beyond the freedom of speech.

I repeat .. Freedom of speech, does NOT allow you to disrespect others!
How come you expect others to respect you, when you disrespect them! To me, offending my religion in my presence is an insult, so make sure you don't do that, in order to maintain the respect among us.

Secularism can be as extreme as religion, so perhaps its you who might want to stop being a jerk for forcing your extreme secularism on moderate religious people like myself.

Now if what I said insults your secular thoughts, perhaps U might have to deal with it internally :drunken:

Have a good day Sir!

Before I have a good day, explain to me: What do you think the concept of Secularity means?
Because when I read your reply, you haven't got a clue in my opinion.

Dignity is given, respect is yet to be earned.
RobbyG

Symmetric, I don’t contradict myslef, you know yourself as a MODERATE religious, So you are not supposed to disrespect others. I don’t know myself moderate! I dont like Islam very much! and I m not afraid to announce it!

So yes moral lessons are for you, not for me, I try to avoid Islamic debates, but when I enter them, I will give my own opinions, which may come out insults to you! :D
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:Symmetric, I don’t contradict myslef, you know yourself as a MODERATE religious, So you are not supposed to disrespect others. I don’t know myself moderate! I dont like Islam very much! and I m not afraid to announce it!

So yes moral lessons are for you, not for me, I try to avoid Islamic debates, but when I enter them, I will give my own opinions, which may come out insults to you! :D

You said it marvellously luv. Are you a freemason? :mrgreen:

Just kidding Mel, just teasing. 8)
RobbyG

RobbyG wrote:Before I have a good day, explain to me: What do you think the concept of Secularity means?

During your good day, just study the definition of Respect.
Regarding Secularism, perhaps you might want to give us a lecture and make sure you you explain the part of "Freedom of Speech" too :drunken:

Respect is to be earned indeed, yet not all can earn it.
Proceed with your good day please 8)
symmetric
BANNED

symmetric wrote:
RobbyG wrote:Before I have a good day, explain to me: What do you think the concept of Secularity means?

Regarding Secularism, perhaps you might want to give us a lecture and make sure you you explain the part of "Freedom of Speech" too :drunken:

You avoided my question. Now you shift your liability on me. Thats disrespectful :P :wink: :mrgreen:

Oh boy, I have found a new victim here. :blackeye:
RobbyG

melika969 wrote:Symmetric, I don’t contradict myslef, you know yourself as a MODERATE religious, So you are not supposed to disrespect others. I don’t know myself moderate! I dont like Islam very much! and I m not afraid to announce it!

1) You're not moderate but rather an undefined extremist, I can see that already. I was just pushing you to choke it out :D

2) Yet, you're still contradicting yourself agian & again, which will only lead you to immaturity :albino:
symmetric
BANNED

RobbyG wrote:
symmetric wrote:

You avoided my question. Now you shift your liability on me. Thats disrespectful :P :wink: :mrgreen:

Oh boy, I have found a new victim here. :blackeye:

Its not avoiding, I deal with people as per their mentality.

You may also want to define "Immaturity" during your good day 8)
symmetric
BANNED

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk