Iran Has Launched A Home-made Satellite Into Orbit

Topic locked
Feb 09, 2009
Red Chief wrote:Dear SB,
There is the only difference between you and me. I've never said that Russians solely saved the World and did everything absolutelly right, especially about invasion to Afganistan in 1979.

Could you tell me the same about Brits there and in Iraq now?

In common I don't hate UK and count BBC as one of the most objective media but not perfect of cause...

Red Chief,

Let's close this down quickly and move on (so as not to upset RobbyG again).

The UK stood alone against Germany on the western frontfor a long time. But did not surrender. This alone meant that Herr Hitler could not devote all his resources to crushing Russia (I know the horrific number of deaths on the Russian Front, no need even to remind me, it was bloody and barbaric, I know my history). I have never said that Britain alone 'saved the world'. Your calls of arrogance are misplaced, I am only stating factual history.

I will not defend the occupation of Iraq, nor the British Prime Minister at the time willingly accepting lies by the US in justification of an assault. But as I'm sure we both agree, politicians do not speak for us except when it suits them. The jusification that 'a tyrant has been toppled' is (although true) only lip service to morality, the true reasons for the US led invasion were far dirtier. The West, in fact the world as a whole, is perfectly happy to allow tyrants to stay in place when it suits them.

I appreciate the comments about the BBC, I also agree it is impartial and is not used as a political mouthpiece. I am shocked to read that the BBC are cutting back on their World Service broadcasts, even to Russia. I think that Government funding of the BBC is dwindling, a sure sign of a country which is losing its values daily, if it allows such a world respected institution to fail. The country is still swamped by massive yearly immigration, placing huge strains on finances due to extra demand for housing, and the benefits of free medical and other systems. My country is a victim of its own soft heartedness.

Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2009
Dear SB,
You misunderstood me a little bit. I'm not admired Abu Dhabi at all, especially their investment oversees insted of developing own country.

I'm talking about Dubai as an unique example. I also desagree about the comparison with Yemen. Everybody needs New Singapore in the ME but the are much more competitors aroung...
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 09, 2009
I understand.

AD is just one Emirate amongst others, and the historical differences/rivalries between the Emirates will always have some power. If AD doesn't see its income as for being spent on the UAE as a whole rhen you can understand why. I don't know how much of the Russian economic budget is spent on the infrastructure of Kamchatka, for example (I mean that honestly, I don't know, but I am assuming it attacts little development funding). the same is true everywhere, also in UK.

Did I understand your point?

Dubai as you say is different in some respects, but their beginnings were also in oil (now not so important to them), and without that money there would have been no money, no interest and no quick development. I still say that without this oil capital to start the process, Dubai might have still look like Hodeidah now (and nothing wrong with that, of course).

I agree, I think Dubai is currently unique, and is the new gateway to the East for the West, and also the other way around, a centre of trade and finance, but AD is also now vying for this position, and I think you have to understand that there is competition between them, despite their also being inside a union of Emirates.

By the way, do you do any work or sit on DubaiForums all day ! (joke)
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2009
As far as I know Dubai initially rised from gold smuggling from India. That's why there are so many Gold markets. I don't know what they would do with out oil...

I'm on vacation now. So I can waste a lot of time...
Why are you asking?
8) 8) 8)
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 09, 2009
Good point, this region was known as the Buccaneer Coast (i.e. pirate coast) in the old times by Britain. Dubai was poor, Sharjah was richer. Both traded with India, but Dubai was always poor until the oil flowed.

I was only curious about your status, enjoy your holiday! I'm supposed to be working but I am cutting back a little for a few months as my business is a credit based business and I want to see how my customers can pay their bills over the nex few months. I just take secure business at the moment, enough to pay my bills, and forget the riskier stuff for now!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 09, 2009
Agreed. It isn't good time for earning money. To be frank I am waiting for a moment for good investment, like buying some property on Marina at bargain price. :D :D :D
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Feb 09, 2009
Well, those low prices are coming, but I still don't know why people buy property here. I can't convince myself that the crazy price increases will start again once the current economic downturn is over. I guess you're a gambler! :wink:

My view is that 'if' prices will only increase in future at modest rate, like most of the world, then I'd rather have property where build quality is better, ownership laws are much longer established, and also you can actually own the land, not just the structure on it. I think Romania is a good bet, from what I hear?
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 10, 2009
Red Chief wrote:I don't have any clue (I don't know them) but It looks like Brits make big contribution in Dubai's rapid development, otherwise I can't exlain to myself this great leap forward from rags to rich that wasn't so rapid in the other very similar states...

I don't think it's only due to personal skill of Brits but their system of management, control, corporative culture etc... that has been worked very effectevely so far. IMO That's why on the initial stage it was more effective to trasfer everything: lock, stock and barrel...
A localization of some parts of the car is rather long process and not very effective sometimes...

When you have a visionary and ambitious leader, inevitably will get good results. I put down the success of Dubai to Sheikh Mohammed the ruler of Dubai’s personality and his hard work and determination to sees his city as number one city in the world, and currently it is. Expats are there to make money and go home, so they wouldn’t care as much about the city’s future as a local or Sheikh Mohammed himself.

Look how many expats in Saudi Arabia, not to mention large number of them are British, but yet Saudi cities are far behind Dubai and hardly unknown on the international stage – why, because they don’t have that exceptional leader to delivers a real change and positive development.
Humbleman
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 10, 2009
Humbleman wrote:
Red Chief wrote:I don't have any clue (I don't know them) but It looks like Brits make big contribution in Dubai's rapid development, otherwise I can't exlain to myself this great leap forward from rags to rich that wasn't so rapid in the other very similar states...

I don't think it's only due to personal skill of Brits but their system of management, control, corporative culture etc... that has been worked very effectevely so far. IMO That's why on the initial stage it was more effective to trasfer everything: lock, stock and barrel...
A localization of some parts of the car is rather long process and not very effective sometimes...

When you have a visionary and ambitious leader, inevitably will get good results. I put down the success of Dubai to Sheikh Mohammed the ruler of Dubai’s personality and his hard work and determination to sees his city as number one city in the world, and currently it is. Expats are there to make money and go home, so they wouldn’t care as much about the city’s future as a local or Sheikh Mohammed himself.

Look how many expats in Saudi Arabia, not to mention large number of them are British, but yet Saudi cities are far behind Dubai and hardly unknown on the international stage – why, because they don’t have that exceptional leader to delivers a real change and positive development.

I put it down to Sheikh Zayed myself. Sheikh Mohammed has taken up the torch, but the visions were in place and the reality taking shape before him. If anything, under Sheikh Mohammed, Dubai has been like a diver coming to the surface too fast, it's dangerous without enough control. You can't just take the brakes off and let everyone do as they please, there may finally be a bill to pay. The way companies have been allowed to build almost unrestrictedly, and with minimal building standards, is interesting. Time and again I read comments from site managers and supervisors who marvel at how low the build quality is. It's just a rush to finish everything and that can never be good.

Still, it's great to be here and watch the city rising like a rocket, and the Municipality have done a wonderful job with road building. It's incredible what they have achieved so quickly to relieve the situation that existed 3-4 years ago.

Hopefully I'll be here for many years yet (until I no longer work and I'm kicked out), so I hope to see more wonders!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk