Iran - Bahais Arrested For Their Faith

Topic locked
Iran - Bahais arrested for their faith May 25, 2011
Its no secret in most Muslim countries other faiths (or even non-mainstream Islamic sects) have it very difficult due to harassment and prosecution. Bahais were arrested in Iran. No other reason than being Bahai was given for there arrest.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hj35Veq2tNM-5LK4QTS6Im5ZpJ3w?docId=CNG.a1bf0c4f6861fa8bd4596b026903f37a.c1
TEHRAN — Iran has arrested a "number" of Bahais for running an "online Bahai university" aimed at propagating their faith, the government-run Iran newspaper reported on Monday.

The Iran newspaper report added that, "this so-called online university was in fact a disguise for spreading the (faith) of the misled Bahai group and setting a trap for the citizens... A large number of books, CDs and computers were seized from them."

In March, Iran said a number of Bahais, who were "promoting their faith in kindergartens," have been arrested in the southern city of Bam.

The Bahais, who are barred from higher education and government posts in staunchly Shiite Muslim Iran, are regarded as infidels by the majority community and have been persecuted both before and after the country's 1979 Islamic revolution.

The Bahais consider Bahaullah, born in 1817, to be the latest prophet sent by God and believe in the spiritual unity of all religions and all mankind.

Iran has torture dungeons in place for Bahais.

Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: Iran - Bahais Arrested For Their Faith May 25, 2011
Yeah well Iran is Iran. They don't like anything, even youtube !
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Iran - Bahais Arrested For Their Faith May 25, 2011
desertdudeshj wrote:Yeah well Iran is Iran. They don't like anything, even youtube !

LOL
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Iran - Bahais arrested for their faith May 26, 2011
I think Mel is the girl to reply to this one! I know she has a lot to say about her country.

What say you Mel?
Bethsmum

Re: Iran - Bahais arrested for their faith May 26, 2011
Babism and Bahaism have always had a strained relationship with the Iranian authorities.

Bab was executed by firing squad, and Bahais were always accused of being insurgents working for 'foreign powers'. This wasn't helped by the fact that Bab's teachings were indeed violent and they did indeed take up arms against the state.

There is no excuse for persecuting people for their faith only, and there is no excuse for slandering nations unjustly either.

What is strange is that the many Jewish Iranians aren't being arrested etc for 'being Jewish'. Mel can indeed shed more light on this - I'd be interested in hearing her views.

(My starting point is to condemn the authorities for religious persecution - but with the proviso that there may be more to the arrests than given in the reports..)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Iran - Bahais Arrested For Their Faith May 26, 2011
Hey BM, I know some Bahai families who left Iran.or they practice their faith in private, because of the restrictions they face. They are not allowed to study or work, and sometimes their hosues get destroyed by extermists. Whie ago a village in north of Iran got destroyed and authorities done nothing about it. I think EH posted a link about it in that time.

Muslims in Shia sect believe that their 12th Imam will come back and save the world. based on islamic histor he never died, he is just absent! But bahais believe that someone called Baha-allah has come back to earth and he was the 12th Imam who God promised to send back. This whole history started something more than 150 years ago and they are not very old.

Their problem with regime is that regime don't accept in innovation in religion! and in their perception bahais are apostates. so that's why Bahais have no rights in Iran now. Current regime doenst acccept even Sunnis.well they always claim they want all muslims to be united, but they make many problems for all different sunni groups, like kurds in west of Iran, or Turkmens in north.
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:Hey BM, I know some Bahai families who left Iran.or they practice their faith in private, because of the restrictions they face. They are not allowed to study or work, and sometimes their hosues get destroyed by extermists. Whie ago a village in north of Iran got destroyed and authorities done nothing about it. I think EH posted a link about it in that time.

Muslims in Shia sect believe that their 12th Imam will come back and save the world. based on islamic histor he never died, he is just absent! But bahais believe that someone called Baha-allah has come back to earth and he was the 12th Imam who God promised to send back. This whole history started something more than 150 years ago and they are not very old.

Their problem with regime is that regime don't accept in innovation in religion! and in their perception bahais are apostates. so that's why Bahais have no rights in Iran now. Current regime doenst acccept even Sunnis.well they always claim they want all muslims to be united, but they make many problems for all different sunni groups, like kurds in west of Iran, or Turkmens in north.

That's sad Mel, isn't it? Religion causes so many problems, just look at DF for proof!
Bethsmum

Its a shame that these people are being arrested.

Is the close tie between religion and politics in Islam the main reason why many Islamic countries persecute those who practice other religions or sects? It seems to me that secular governments around the world don't feel a political threat in having populations of people freely practicing their specific religion... Well, I guess that is as long as those practicing whatever religion agree to secular politics instead of religion-based politics ;)
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

posting in Dubai Politics TalkForum Rules

Return to Dubai Politics Talk