Thinking About Moving To Dubai

Topic locked
Thinking about moving to Dubai Oct 24, 2007
Hello, I'm thinking about moving to Dubai. Have just a few questions. I am a white male, 20 years old, am muslim. I am also a US Citizen, but originally from Eastern Europe.

Will I have problems just moving there? For example, I have not been sponsored by anyone, and I don't know anyone there. What is the process of getting a work Visa? Also, what do I need to jump into the Real Estate or Timeshare business in Dubai? This is what I would like to see myself doing in Dubai.

I have more questions, but would first like to hear what you guys think about these questions.

Davidk
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 24, 2007
i have put quiet a legnthy posting under the Professionals section of this forum, titled Tips on working or looking for work in Dubai.

Employment and residency is based on "sponsorship" in the UAE. You can visit with the intention of looking for work (in accordance with the visa regulations), but are not able to work legally on the visa. on obtaining an offer of employment from a company they apply for a labour card and residency permit on your behalf, you cannot apply for one on your own.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 25, 2007
Is Dubai a good place to start a new life?
Davidk
Dubai Forum Guest

Oct 25, 2007
Davidk wrote:Is Dubai a good place to start a new life?

Kid, "A New Life" you are 20 years old! Get at least one first and then think about a new life.

Do you want to get into the real estate and time share market. Then bring wheelbarrels full of money. That's all you need. If at 20 years old you have that then you'll do fine.

Do you have education. Unless you are a prodigy I would think that at 20 you would not even have a college degree (Bachelor's that is). And if you do you will not have much, if any, experience.

Having said all the above, Dubai is a great place for people in their 20's and 30's and since most likely your salary will be below $90K per year it will be tax free for a US citizen.

Your best approach is to find a job before you come to Dubai or come to Dubai on holiday, interview and find a job, while still maintaining your USA job (if you have one).
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 25, 2007
Kid, "A New Life" you are 20 years old! Get at least one first and then think about a new life.

hahahaha. :lol:

bear in mind of course you will be a migrant worker (Muslim or not), you can never get permanent residency status in the UAE, unless you marry into the area!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Oct 25, 2007
You will have an absolute ball!!

Dubai is fantastic!!

I have only been here a few weeks, but wow, it is fun and so full of opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, it's hard and you have to be confident in your ability and network like a crazy animal to open doors. But it is soooooo worth it!

Come, work hard and enjoy!!

GOOD LUCK!
x
English Girlie
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum