Americans Thinking About Moving To Dubai

Topic locked
americans thinking about moving to dubai Dec 12, 2007
Hello
Im new to this forum and i have a few questions for anyone thats got the time:)
1. My american boyfriend and i are thinking of movign to dubai but heard that its illegal to live together as a couple unless married?true/false?
2. I cannot buy a one way ticket due to visa issues?
3. Its easy to find a job after arriving?
4. Americans are tolerated?
5. Western women can walk around in normal clothing?
6. There are a lof of timeshare/real estate jobs availble?
7. No real estate lisence is required to sell timeshare of real estate?

(we both sell timeshare for a living, niether of us have college degrees though we both attended for a time and we are both top salespeople)
cheers!

cthompson
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: americans thinking about moving to dubai Dec 12, 2007
cthompson wrote:Hello
Im new to this forum and i have a few questions for anyone thats got the time:)
1. My american boyfriend and i are thinking of movign to dubai but heard that its illegal to live together as a couple unless married?true/false? True although many people ignore this law and live happy, undisturbed lives.

2. I cannot buy a one way ticket due to visa issues? I wouldn't buy one anyway, you can get a refund later if need be.

3. Its easy to find a job after arriving? If you look and don't just expect one to fall in your lap.

4. Americans are tolerated? Yes Americans are tolerated, insomuch as they don't walk around thinking they own the world they'll be fine.

5. Western women can walk around in normal clothing? Correct.

6. There are a lof of timeshare/real estate jobs availble? Very little timeshare at the moment, and the concept has no legal standing at the moment.... quite a few jobs in the Real Estate sector.

7. No real estate lisence is required to sell timeshare of real estate? Timeshare may not even be legal at all here yet... so far there's no ruling on the nature of title and how Timeshare may work. A couple have moved in anyway, such as Accor and RCI - but they do so on the proviso they're running a risk.

(we both sell timeshare for a living, niether of us have college degrees though we both attended for a time and we are both top salespeople)
cheers!

Well... I have seen the way timeshare is sold... and I could either say you'll fit in well here or... you'll find it difficult here depending - culture is a funny thing and I advise strongly against hard pushy sales techniques here.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Dec 12, 2007
iAN

Thanks so much for your answers! Were not the stereotypical americans :)
ok, so timeshare is illegal?
Hmm
Do you know where I can find out what the requirements are for selling real estate?
cthompson
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 12, 2007
cthompson wrote:iAN

Thanks so much for your answers! Were not the stereotypical americans :)
ok, so timeshare is illegal?
Hmm
Do you know where I can find out what the requirements are for selling real estate?

It's neither legal nor illegal... it's a grey area at the moment, which would make me very cautious as a buyer.

The requirements for selling Real Estate are that you are employed with either a property developer or Real Estate company. Very little else.
^ian^

Dec 12, 2007
It is just me or does it seem like the Americans are always asking the dumbest questions about employment opportunities in Dubai?

Remember the guy from Utah? 22 year old, "CEO", real estate instructor, asking whether they have real estate agents in Dubai.

Giving the good'old USA a bad name...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 12, 2007
Concord wrote:It is just me or does it seem like the Americans are always asking the dumbest questions about employment opportunities in Dubai?

Remember the guy from Utah? 22 year old, "CEO", real estate instructor, asking whether they have real estate agents in Dubai.

Hrmm... I dunno, I thought they were reasonable questions.

I asked the same question myself... is it OK to live with a non-married partner.

Where's Sage? I mean... I enjoy picking on the truly ignorant and I miss him so.
^ian^

Dec 12, 2007
^ian^ wrote:
Concord wrote:It is just me or does it seem like the Americans are always asking the dumbest questions about employment opportunities in Dubai?

I asked the same question myself... is it OK to live with a non-married partner.

Where's Sage? I mean... I enjoy picking on the truly ignorant and I miss him so.

I think you wrote half his "answer" already.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 12, 2007
Concord wrote:
^ian^ wrote:

I think you wrote half his "answer" already.

I think I wrote half his answer.

(Good point!)
^ian^

Dec 12, 2007
^^ will be an overflight (at Mack-2 at least)
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Dec 12, 2007
It used to be called a "Dog and Pony Show"

Now its called a Dog & tiger(Cat) Show :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 12, 2007
Be careful of the roaming death squads though. They ride camels and hunt Americans for beheading.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 12, 2007
gtmash wrote:Be careful of the roaming death squads though. They ride camels and hunt Americans for beheading.

What about the Australians?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 12, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
gtmash wrote:Be careful of the roaming death squads though. They ride camels and hunt Americans for beheading.

Who cares about the Australians?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Dec 12, 2007
gtmash wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

Who cares about the Australians?

You haven't noticed his unhealthy obsession with Australians and Americans?

The rest of us have... nobody has commented on it yet, mostly because it wasn't worth commenting on... but he spent a whole month modifying all the jokes of the day to criticise Aussies and Americans thinking we wouldn't notice or we'd bite.

We noticed... we just didn't care.
^ian^

Dec 16, 2007
I dont see how the concept of timeshare can work in Dubai. In europe /US the principle works due to the huge demand and in the case of the US, cheap appartment/house prices.

This concept is targeted at the 1-2 week holidaymaker, and given the current high rent demands/property cost, i dont really see it viable and profitable to the company/owner in compassion the the short term holiday let market which is flourishing in Dubai.

As Ian rightly points out there this is also a legal minefield in terms of how "multi joint ownership" can work in Dubai. I dont see developers allowing this type of ownership on transfer.
arniegang

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum