Saudi In Dubai (Salary Question)

Topic locked
Saudi in Dubai (Salary question) Mar 08, 2006
Hi all and thanks for reading.
First of all, congratulations for this forum! It is very helpful! I have read all pages of posts and replies. But I still have to ask you a question, since many of you, as I red, work in HR in UAE: I’m a Saudi and I’m graduating this June at Concordia University (Montreal, Canada) in Business Commerce, Marketing. I was thinking to stay here in Canada and find a job, but my brothers and father keep telling me that in Dubai or in Saudi Arabia I would get a great job with a very high salary, and so on…To be honest, Saudi Arabia is not for me (but you are Saudi! I know, but my fiancé is not!), thus I was thinking to go to Dubai, which seems more western. I know from your posts in the forum that expatriates have a higher salary than other, but does anyone know if being a Saudi makes a difference in terms of salary? Is it true that I can expect a salary which could range from $ 5,000 U.S. to $ 10,000 U.S. on top of house, insurance, etc? I know what you are thinking: “why don’t you ask your family members?” It’s a long story. Let’s say that I don’t trust them.

I thank you all in advance for your answer.

Ciao

walla
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 08, 2006
Hi, do a search in the Gulf News Classifieds on line to see what is on offer. :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 08, 2006
You have a few pluses going for you, you're a GCC national, you speak English, Arabic (i'm assuming) and likely a bit of French, you have a "western" degree, etc.

Dubai is definitely more open than Saudi but salaries are higher in Saudi.

I’d check out www.dubaimediacity.com/, i think a $5k salary may be realistic. (from people I've met in similar marketing industries). Making 5 k would be pretty easy to do in Canada to, just get the heck of Montreal and go west but taxes, cost of living differences would mean 5k here would likely go further.

My advice, bring the girlfriend, check out the place for a couple weeks and then decide (assuming you’ve never been here)

Good luck in whatever you decide
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 08, 2006
Hello GAB, thanks for your answer and the tip. I took a look at the Gulf News classified as you suggested and it has been very helpful.

Thanks fayz for your answer and advice. I don’t really speak Arabic, but I do perfectly speak Italian (Italian high school in Rome + mamma!) and a bit of French. So, from my understanding, $5 K would be on top of rent, insurance, etc, right?

A couple of years ago here in Montreal they offered me a job as a marketing assistant at the Marriott Residence Inn hotel, but the salary was astonishing low! And when they told me that, the salary was before tax! Going West is not a bad idea, but here in Canada taxes are pretty high, so if I could (wish) make $5 K a month, it means that 50% will go in taxes, as I don’t have kids, etc…on top of the fact that the last time the temperature went over 0 Celsius was last September! So my plane was to go to Dubai for 4-5 years, save some money (and get some tint!), and then come back here in Canada (maybe Toronto) and buy an apartment, so I don’t have to work just to pay the rent every month! I know, too simple to be true!
walla
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 11, 2006
walla wrote:So, from my understanding, $5 K would be on top of rent, insurance, etc, right?
!

Yes I would say 5k + expenses would be an attainable salary in Dubai. There are really low paying jobs here as well, you have to have a bit of luck and be good at what you do but yeah.

Hahahaha I do know what you mean about Canada, I’ll always consider it home but taxes are high and it does get cold (the first year I moved out west from Toronto to Calgary it snowed in July :shock: :shock: )

Good luck in whatever you decide, I’m trying to achieve the freedom 35 dream myself.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 11, 2006
I agree with Fayz- your expenses such as medical, accom. etc are in addition to the salary. Some employers will offer DEWA (elec & water), pertrol and car or an allowance for car-some will offer a car and some will offer an interest free loan for a car and some will offer nothing. Look carefully at these allowances as sometimes, even if the salary is lower, you could be substantially better off.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 12, 2006
Thank you for your help. I still have a few more months to think about it.

In the meantime...HAPPY SPRING!!!! Today we have......7 Celsius!!!!!! And the snow is melting!!!! Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I tought the winter would never end!!!! I 'm so happy that I just wanted to share this wonderful news with you!

BTW, my girlfriend is asking how the insect situation is there?

Thank you again for yor help

ciao
walla
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 12, 2006
trust me you'll miss winter when you move over here.

There are lots of flies here.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 12, 2006
Happy Spring to you too Walla. Hey, Montreal is a pretty fab place to be! I love to visit there :)

Good luck with the job hunt, and do try to get an expat contract if you can. If you and your fiance get married, you can sponsor her on your visa. If she will work, she should also try to get an expat contract settled from outside of Dubai. I didn't find anything before I moved here, and now I'm in the labour market where people love to hire an expat wife who they don't have to pay any extras for because of her husband's expat contract. So, in this situation my hubby and I won't be saving as much money as we first anticipated. Money isn't everything though, and living in Dubai is a great experience.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 12, 2006
fayz wrote:There are lots of flies here.

Fayz, try a summer down under. You practically can't breathe without swallowing one - pesky wittle buggers!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 12, 2006
Kanelli is totally correct about the spouse thing. If you are on your husband's visa you don't get all the perks that are associated with an expat package-the difference being I guess that one is expat employment and the other is considered local.

X is right, flies aren't bad here (fayz has a real prob at the moment I think because he also said he wants a fly swatter!!?? Borrow one of those red flags from the road construction crew on beach road-that is about all they're good for!). If you are worried about mozzies they aren't a prob. either, except I did hear there was a prob. around The Springs development at one stage, but they were fogging and I haven't heard anything for ages. Take around 1000mg of vitamin B -that appaarently wards them off.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Mar 12, 2006
HAHAHAHA yes, i love dubai and I love this time of year but i'm not use to flies (odd 'cause i was born in Africa ;) ) and they annoy the heck out of me, my excuse for smoking more shisha than i should is because the smoke keeps the flies away.

Please don't say Aus is worse than here, I have to work in Sydney for a month starting late August.

I'm going to Cambodia in June though, there shouldn't be any bugs there right :roll: ..... I have no escape lol.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 12, 2006
You'll be fine in August Fayz, its only bad in the summer time and they seem to disappear in the winter. You'll have to be content with battling slugs and snails instead!
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 12, 2006
sorry my bad, i keep forgetting seasons are reversed :oops: :oops:

Happy to hear, i'll get a bit of a break from the bugs though :)
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight

Mar 14, 2006
saudi n italain doesnt speak arabic but speaks french, what kinda sick place r u from :?

allah yeshfey, i think u need 2 get a job in Can gain some experince n then try ur luck n apply here CAn passport always help.

i'm citizen n still unemployed till now, 3 yeard advanced Bus Admin marketing n no job offers so far
AD__REP
Dubai Forum Visitor

Mar 14, 2006
hi walla - dubai is a nice to be at but always remember that this market is more mainly experienced personell and they prefer to train only Locals (UAE National) so if u can get some experience in CAN that will be great for you.

And no doubt nationality/passport helps pave the path but for a fresher might be a challenge getting US$5K , but I wont discourage you becuz u never know when the luck strikes....

goodluck!!!!
uas
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum