Salary Package No Info No Where

Topic locked
Salary Package No Info No where Aug 28, 2006
Hi..

I am looing for the Salary package in Dubai and not found a proper one.
This Forum looks promising and hope I will get the answer from here.

I am new to Dubai and I got a 'partial' offer from a well established company in UAE.
'Partial' offer means health insurance and yearly ticket(only for me)
Company is asking to tell me the salary range what I am looking.

They will not provide accomodation, family status, and may not the trasport(depends where I stay).

What can salary can I put on the desk of HR ?

They told what I will present is no the basic salary, it should be the full package salary.

The post is for Application Support - Executive
I am a Software Enginner/Programmer with 5 years of experience

Kindly help me out with your experience/information on this matter.

Thanks

intheEarth

inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
I wish there was an easy answer to your question.

In Dubai, salaries for the same position can fluctuate by as much as (and more) than 10,000 dh a month. It depends on a lot of factors (not all I agree with, but that's the way it is).

(1) Experience
(2) Nationality
(3) What passport you hold
(4) Where you attained your qualifications

And not necessarily in that order.

So what do you do? Well, you need to ask yourself, am I going to be financially better of in Dubai? Take into account you will be paying twice the rent where you currently are.

I'm surprised they won't sponsor your family (at least the provision of visas) but not about the accomodation or transport.

I really get disturbed when companies come out with the "shoot first" what do you want to get paid policy.

Test the water and propose what you think you're worth. Add 20% for accomodation, 20% for transport and present that as the figure and go from there.
^ian^
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Aug 28, 2006
Hi, below is some information i got from JSV previous post, which I found extremely useful and comprehensive. Do use the search functions and use different keywords like salary, package, compensation etc.

JSV
Dubai Forum Guest

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:25 pm Post subject:
Hi Gunner, is this what you r looking for???

Costs to relocate to UAE

Housing
A three-bedroomed villa in Dubai costs from Dhs.60 000 to Dhs.70 000 in the Mirdif area and between Dhs.45 000 to Dhs.60 000 in Sharjah. Travelling from Sharjah to Dubai is similar to travelling between Centurion and Sandton at peak times. It is the area where most expats live and schools are readily available. Mirdif is close to the airport. Bur-Dubai and other areas closer to the centre of town have three-bedroom villas and apartments available at rates ranging from Dhs.90 000 upwards.
If your company offers a living allowance, consider asking for an annual allowance of between Dhs.80 000 to Dhs.90 000.

Rentals are payable annually in advance and I recommend you insist that the lease be entered into in your company's name, and that they pay all costs associated with it like commissions, taxes etc.

Also remember you will be running air-conditioners virtually all the time and this consumes a lot of power, especially central air-conditioning units. Opt for split air-conditioning units if at all possible as these use less power.

Schools
There are many schools to choose from in Dubai and the allowance of Dhs.1 500 per month per child should be sufficient. American and British schools are the preferred private schools used by expats. Most schools require the full term's fees to be paid in advance at the beginning of the term.

Cars
There are many new and used to choose from at reasonable prices. Remember that the annual insurance premium is payable in advance - roughly between three-and-a-half to four percent of the vehicle's value.

Relocation Costs
The employer usually covers the cost of your visas and airfares to Dubai. Make sure this covers you and your family as you can bank on spending anywhere between Dhs.1000 to Dhs.2000 per application if this is not clearly stated in your employment agreement. Consider storing your goods in SA (for possible return) and purchase new furniture here. It would cost around Dhs.15 000 to set up a home here (to start with).

Relocation allowance
I would therefore strongly recommend you push for a Dhs.30 000+ for settling in and relocation allowance depreciated over three years to put to use as follows:
Initial furniture, curtains etc required: Dhs. 15 000
Car deposit: Dhs.4000 to Dhs.6000 (10 percent if applicable, 100 percent financing is possible)
Car Insurance: Dhs.3000
Car registration costs: Dhs.500
Agent’s commission on letting of villa: Dhs.3000 to Dhs.3500 (five percent of rental)
DSTv / satellite TV installation and six months' subscription: Dhs.3 850
Drivers licence and liquor permit: Dhs.400 each plus Dhs.230 liquor permit
School uniforms: Dhs.500 each, if applicable
Annual health and recreation club membership (optional): Dhs.5000 to Dhs.10 000 depending on which hotel you choose.
They may give you a Dhs.15 000 settling in allowance and a Dhs.15 000 interest-free loan repayable over 12 to 18.

Remember that you would still have to pay for telephone connection fees (Dhs.250 for home and cellphones) and may need to pay a connection fee for your electricity account (this could be around Dhs.300).

Annual return airfares & leave
Annual return airfares and leave amount to some 25 to 30 days. Make sure it's clear whether these are working days or normal days, weekends included. Annual allowance for return economy airfares to SA for you and the family should be included as with airfares to SA when you leave (normally only comes into effect after two years of employment).

Visas
You will be relocating here on a visit visa which is valid for 30 days and can be extended for a further 30 days, and whilst you are here your residence visa and work permit will be processed. This can take up to four weeks.

Cars
You cannot buy a car until your work and residence visas are issued so you will need a rental car. This can be rather expensive.

Monthly expenses
Here is a list of what you can expect your average monthly costs (for a family of four) to be:

Groceries: Dhs.3000
Home telephone: Dhs.300 (depending on how often you phone SA)
Mobile phone: Dhs.100
Electricity and water: Dhs.300 to Dhs.400 in summer, and Dhs.100 to Dhs.200 in winter.
Petrol: Dhs.400 (about the equivalent of R2.00 per litre)
Entertainment: Dhs.1000
Bottled drinking water: Dhs.70
Satellite TV subs: Paid six monthly in advance
Car maintenance: Dhs.800 to Dhs.1000 each quarter
Car installment:
Newspaper subs: six month subscription works out to about Dhs.300
Clothing: Dhs.500 on average a month.
Laundry/ironing service: About 40 – 80 depending on frequency and volume).
A round of golf costs around Dhs.150 and annual club memberships are rather expensive (Dhs.12 000+). So, if you are a golfer, don't expect too many rounds of golf.

Domestic Help
Domestic help can be rather expensive especially if you want a full-time maid.

Cheers,
JSV
JeepDude
Dubai Forums Member

Aug 28, 2006
I reached the right forum and thank you very much for the post. Finding the right stuff in the web is really a nightmare.

These are the current picture

>>I wish there was an easy answer to your question.

>>In Dubai, salaries for the same position can fluctuate by as much as (and more) than 10,000 dh a month. It depends on a >>lot of factors (not all I agree with, but that's the way it is).

>>(1) Experience
Five years of solid real time overseas experience and the job profile is exactly matching with their requirements

>>(2) Nationality
India
>>(3) What passport you hold
Indian
>>(4) Where you attained your qualifications
From India, Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications

>>And not necessarily in that order.

>>So what do you do? Well, you need to ask yourself, am I going to be financially better of in Dubai? Take into account you >>will be paying twice the rent where you currently are.

The response from them was very quick, the same day they called me after submitting the resume. After the technical interview, the HR called me with in a week. HR is asking me to put the salary range.
I am confident that 'I am worth for that post', the technology they requested is not easily available in the market.

>>I'm surprised they won't sponsor your family (at least the provision of visas) but not about the accomodation or
>>trassport.

They told they will not sponser the family. Can I still negotiate with them in this matter and the accomodation/transport.
I heard that accomodation makes the wallet empty !!!

>>at least the provision of visas

What does it mean ?

>>I really get disturbed when companies come out with the "shoot first" what do you want to get paid policy.

What does it mean ''shoot first'' ??

>>Test the water and propose what you think you're worth. Add 20% for accomodation, 20% for transport and present that as >>the figure and go from there.

Usually companies calculate accomodation/trasport etc from the basic salary ? or caompanies say the total salary figure ?

Looking for the feedback from the forum memebers.

intheEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
oops,

JeepDude, I didnot refresh my page before my post and didnot see that.

Thank you for the post

Very Informative.

intheEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
For this kind of position up to what level I can negotiate if they are not providing Family Visa/ Housing / Trasport etc.

Hope there will be a 'generalized' average packge in Duabi :)

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
They told they will not sponser the family. Can I still negotiate with them in this matter and the accomodation/transport.
I heard that accomodation makes the wallet empty !!!

no companies will sponsor spouses and siblings - as they are not employees of the company! this the employee needs to do in his own right - as "head of the house-hold".

you need to check your salary package meets the minimum requirement to sponsor a wife and children.

An expatriate may sponsor and bring his family members, if his monthly salary is not less than three thousand (3000) Dirhams and if his employer provides him with accommodation or four thousand (4000) Dirhams if his employer does not provide him with accommodation. Proof of salary may be established by and official certificate duly attested by the State’s concerned authorities.”

The word “family” means one’s wife, male sons up to the age of 18, and unmarried daughters.

personally i think them asking you for a salary amount or what you expect to earn, without even visiting the place is very childish.

tell them to stop wasting your time as you have another offer to consider (in say singapore) and to put a figure on the table. if you let them dictate the rules from the begining they will walk all over you!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Aug 28, 2006
Gofor the gold! :lol: Try to ask as high as you can, with the notion of "negotiable" in the end of the sentence.

Kidding aside, if its a biggie company it should be able to give you salary of 5 figures and above, but if its a medium enterprise, then it might be below that line. :roll:
zam
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Aug 28, 2006
inthearth wrote:For this kind of position up to what level I can negotiate if they are not providing Family Visa/ Housing / Trasport etc.

Hope there will be a 'generalized' average packge in Duabi :)

inthEarth

There is no such thing as a generalised average package. As I said, the salary for certain positions can fluctuate by as much as 10,000 dh or more.
^ian^

Aug 28, 2006
i pointed the family sponser stuff in front of them. What they hinted is with your salary package YOU are eligible to bring my wife and kid. Still they didnot reveal the salary range.

With your comments and experiences posting through this post,
Hope I will be in a position to tell a figure to them.

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
People viewing this will put comments on their experience in Duabi will help myself and others to get a correct Idea.

I feel it will help others in the future

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
inthearth wrote:People viewing this will put comments on their experience in Duabi will help myself and others to get a correct Idea.

I feel it will help others in the future

inthEarth

Simple question: What would you like to be paid in Dh per month?
^ian^

Aug 28, 2006
That is a good simple question.

The information given is very useful and really appreciate that.
Each place has their own style and package, of course it vary from company to company.

Still there will be a rough figure everybody can tell
from <this range> to <that range> with other these benifits or
from <this range> to <that range> without other these benifits

This is what people like us looking from outside Dubai.

Ofcourse who already in Dubai will have a very clear picture and the wavelength of thinking will be in this style.

But for us in a specific kind of post what can expect as I mentioned above.
There will be lot of criteria will fall, still a 'range'

Hope this is the view what I have, when I look from outside Dubai.

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
Excellent Resource who ever looking into Dubai from the other parts of Earth as well as people already in Duabi.

http://www.grapeshisha.com/index.html

UAE Cost of Living Spreadsheet
http://www.grapeshisha.com/theknowledge ... iving.html

Salary Components
http://www.grapeshisha.com/theknowledgesalary.html

Recruitment Agencies Spreadsheet
http://www.grapeshisha.com/theknowledge ... ncies.html

UAE Rental Range Spreadsheet
http://www.grapeshisha.com/theknowledgerents.html

Maps of Dubai and Abu Dhabi
http://www.grapeshisha.com/theknowledgemaps.html

Excellent practical in-depth Sample Survery and looks a recent one.
Download the Excel files and see the cost of living stuff/ Agencies/

Excellent Job, keep it up www.grapeshisha.com

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2006
thanks inthearth

had a look at the rental one, i agree, very well covered and comprehensive - like the spreadsheet easy to read and put things in perspective.

the salary/ salary components link: while very nicely structured (and informative) does gloss over a lot of the practicle and technical nitty-gritty experienced by most in dubai - which is where this forum comes in.

i think the moderators of the forum should look at including the links you posted as suplimental reading for prospective expats. its comprehensive and well written
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Aug 30, 2006
One more site with valuable information

http://www.howdoidubai.com/

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2006
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

A sample contract Sep 04, 2006
Here you can have a look for a sample contact found in the net

http://contracts.onecle.com/osi-systems ... 0.05.shtml

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 08, 2006
Found Goverment links in a web site
http://www.uaeinteract.com/government/links.asp

Copying the content here

Government Links

UAE Government: www.uae.gov.ae
Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce & Ind: www.adcci-uae.com
Abu Dhabi Customs Dept: www.auhcustoms.gov.ae
Abu Dhabi Civil Aviation: www.dcaauh.gov.ae
Port Zayed: www.portzayed.gov.ae
Zayed Foundation: www.zayed.org.ae
UAE State Audit Institution: www.saiuae.gov.ae
General Information Authority: www.gia.gov.ae
Gen. Directorate of Abu Dhabi Police: www.adpolice.gov.ae
Gen. Directorate of Civil Defence: www.gdocd.gov.ae

Federal National Council: www.almajles.gov.ae
Federal Environmental Agency: www.fea.gov.ae

Dubai Municipality: www.dm.gov.ae
Dubai Ports and Customs: www.dxbcustoms.gov.ae
Dubai Chamber of Commerce & Ind: www.dcci.org
Dubai Water & Electricity Co: www.dewa.gov.ae
Dubai International Airport: www.dubaiairport.com
Dubai Traffic Police: www.dxbtraffic.gov.ae
Dubai Police Headquarters: www.dubaipolice.gov.ae
Dubai Tourism & Commerce Mktg: www.dubaitourism.co.ae
Dubai Dept of Economic Development: www.dubaided.gov.ae
Dubai Awqaf & Islamic Affairs: www.awqafdubai.gov.ae
Dubai Duty Free: www.dubaidutyfree.com
Jebel Ali Free Zone: www.jafza.co.ae
Dubai Cargo Village: www.dubaicargovillage.com
Dubai Naturalisation & Residency: www.dnrd.gov.ae
Sheikh Hamdan bin Rashid Al Maktoum Award for Medical Services: www.hmaward.org.ae
Dubai Media City: www.dubaimediacity.com

Sharjah Customs Dept: www.sharjahcustoms.gov.ae
Sharjah Chamber of Commerce: www.sharjah.gov.ae
Sharjah International Airport: www.shj-airport.gov.ae
SAIF Zone, Sharjah: www.saif-zone.com
Hamriyah Free Zone: www.hamriyahfz.com
Sharjah Police: www.shjpolice.gov.ae

Ras Al Khaimah Airport: www.rkt-airport.com
Ras Al Khaimah Free Trade Zone: www.rakiftz.com
Ras Al Khaimah Municipality: www.rakmunicipality.com

Ajman Chamber of Commerce: www.ajcci.co.ae
Ajman Free Zone: www.ajmanfreezone.gov.ae
Ajman TV: www.ajmantv.com
Ajman University: http://website.ajman.ac.ae

Al Ain Municipality: www.alain.gov.ae
Al Ain Museum: www.AAM.gov.ae

Fujairah Tourism Bureau: www.fujairah-tourism.com
Fujairah Free Trade Zone: www.FujairahFreeZone.com

Other Political Links

Political Resources on the Net: www.politicalresources.net
Listings of political sites available on the Internet sorted by country, with links to Parties, Organizations, Governments, Media and more from all around the world

UAE Embassies Abroad

Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Germany www.uae-embassy.de
Embassy of the United Arab Emirates in Japan www.uaeembassy.jp

If you would like UAEinteract.com to list your website, please click here. Please choose a category that is relevant to the subject of your website, from the list provided. The name of your website will then appear within that category on our site.

inthEarth
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: A sample contract Sep 08, 2006
inthearth wrote:Here you can have a look for a sample contact found in the net

inthEarth

good example of a company labour contract, but it is not a UAE labour contract.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: A sample contract Sep 09, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:
inthearth wrote:Here you can have a look for a sample contact found in the net

inthEarth

good example of a company labour contract, but it is not a UAE labour contract.

What are the difference in the UAE labor contact comparing to the one I posted ?
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 09, 2006
What are the difference in the UAE labor contact comparing to the one I posted ?

they are totally different, the one you posted is a corporate contract based on american legislation... in otherwords a contract between an employer and employee, where such a document may be binding and enforcable under the legal systems in the uk, europe and the states - it carries absolutly no weight whatever in the uae.

in other countries, such a document carries legal weight; an employee can be taken to court and prossicuted for any material violations - likewise the employee can sue the employer for breach of contract.

only contracts registered through the uae dept of labour are enforcable in the uae. as the uae labour contract follows a set format (as directed under the UAE labour Law), it does not have the same flexabilty.

for example... if my employer (in the uae) were to give me the contract posted in the link - which i then signed... if either party were at any point to break any conditions specified in the document - they would not be legally enforcable in a uae labour court!!!!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 09, 2006
dbxsoul but i am not sure if what you are saying also applies to the freezones . do you know ?
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 09, 2006
>>only contracts registered through the uae dept of labour are enforcable >>in the uae. as the uae labour contract follows a set format (as directed >>under the UAE labour Law), it does not have the same flexabilty.

You mean all contacts will not go through the labour dept.

Usually what stuff will be there in the UAE labor contact ?

Like Responsiblites, working condition, salary, other benifits ect

Can you please elaborate how the labor contact in UAE looks like ?

Thanks
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 09, 2006
MaaaD wrote:dbxsoul but i am not sure if what you are saying also applies to the freezones . do you know ?

freezones also follow the uae labour law, but issues such as the "bans" and transfers are excluded. the basics though, medical certificate, leave conditions, sponsoring of spouses etc.. are the same as the rest of the uae.

the uae labour law is a federal law, like with the american federal system individual emirates are free to accept or make changes to them as long as they can administer them. e.g. if you look at the issue of the death penalty, this is carried out in emirates such as rak (under the federal law), but commuted to life in prison in dubai ...
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 09, 2006
inthearth wrote:>>only contracts registered through the uae dept of labour are enforcable >>in the uae. as the uae labour contract follows a set format (as directed >>under the UAE labour Law), it does not have the same flexabilty.

You mean all contacts will not go through the labour dept.

Usually what stuff will be there in the UAE labor contact ?

Like Responsiblites, working condition, salary, other benifits ect

Can you please elaborate how the labor contact in UAE looks like ?

Thanks

fair question, i'll see if i can find a copy to scan and include on the site before i go (for reference) - give me a few days
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 09, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:fair question, i'll see if i can find a copy to scan and include on the site before i go (for reference) - give me a few days

That will be a great reference for all.
Waiting for it.
I think that kind of reference is not available in the web right now.( if anybody has this info kindly post here)
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2006
Cost of living report 2006

http://www.costoflivingdubai.net/2006.aspx

Not free :(
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2006
inthearth wrote:
dbxsoul wrote:fair question, i'll see if i can find a copy to scan and include on the site before i go (for reference) - give me a few days

That will be a great reference for all.
Waiting for it.
I think that kind of reference is not available in the web right now.( if anybody has this info kindly post here)

dbxsoul, you stike again with the UAE labour contact

Great work. I think this kind of info we will find only in this forum.

Here is the sticky for the UAE labour contact from dbxsoul
http://www.dubaiforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=10735

Thank you
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Typical Dubai Salaries Dec 01, 2006
inthearth
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum