Relocating To Dubai

Topic locked
Relocating to Dubai Nov 30, 2007
My girlfriend and I are giving serious consideration to moving from Ireland to Dubai for obvious reasons ie generous salaries & superb climate...................can anyone provide information on availability of Maths Teaching aand Quantity Surveying jobs, any other hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jay7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Dec 03, 2007
Hi, me and my wife are in the same boat - both living in south derry but hope to move out to the middle east soon. I'm a valuation surveyor, my wifes a marketing manager. Valuation surveying jobs seem harder to come buy than QS. I've got some good vibes from a few recruitment consultants like macdonald and company, plus have a look on rics recruit dot com as well. I have an offer of a job in Qatar, and am currently thrashing out my pay and conditions.
There are loads of qs jobs out there, so it shouldnt be too hard to pick one up with a decent uk company, but you still have to look hard for the right one. Let me know how you get on.
surveyor1
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Dec 03, 2007
have a look at

http://www.bechtel.co.uk/Opportunities/VacancyList.asp?strBusUnit=civil
as well. contruction/ oil industry positions in the ME
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Re: Relocating to Dubai Dec 03, 2007
Jay7 wrote:My girlfriend and I are giving serious consideration to moving from Ireland to Dubai for obvious reasons ie generous salaries & superb climate...................can anyone provide information on availability of Maths Teaching aand Quantity Surveying jobs, any other hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

check pms my son
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

gezza wrote:
check pms my son

Who's son has PMS?
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

gtmash wrote:
gezza wrote:
check pms my son

Who's son has PMS?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Dec 03, 2007
Cheers fellas for the replies! Decided to head out in feb for a few days to suss the place out in terms of jobs and accomodation costs/location etc.......however one thing that does concern me is the fact that my girlfriend & I arent married........is this a problem, I read a couple of post somewhere that It could be!!?????................again any info always appreciated.

Cheers for the earlier pm Gezza.............tried replying, take it you didnt receive...........havent mastered this forum business yet!!!!!

Thanks for the reply & good luck with the new job surveyor1.
Jay7
Dubai Forum Visitor

Re: Relocating to Dubai Dec 04, 2007
sage & onion wrote:
gtmash wrote:
gezza wrote:
check pms my son

Who's son has PMS?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it really that funny?
get out more
gezza
Dubai Expat Helper

Dec 04, 2007
^^ haha now that's funny.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Dec 05, 2007
according to my boyfriend's future employer in Dubai, you have to be married. That way the wife gets the resident visa too and can live with you. You are not allowed to live together without being married in Dubai. So we are getting married. Anyone have a different version?
canadiangal75
Dubai Forum User

Dec 05, 2007
Wow you are getting married just because you want to come live here? Canada cant be all that bad, can it?? :shock:
BabyDoll
Dubai chat master

Dec 05, 2007
canadiangal75 wrote:according to my boyfriend's future employer in Dubai, you have to be married. That way the wife gets the resident visa too and can live with you. You are not allowed to live together without being married in Dubai. So we are getting married. Anyone have a different version?

The first part is true (married for residency), the second part is open to debate.

According to the law you have to be married to live together; in "Dubai reality" the line is very grey and a lot of people do live together. BUT (it's a big BUT), you can get into serious trouble for doing it if you are caught, it is one of those things the "powers that be" choose to turn a blind eye to, however, if someone complains about it (also very seldom), the police are compelled to take action.

So, the rule is there, the practical aspects of application are given; how you choose to approach it is entirely up to you.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Dec 11, 2007
surveyor1 wrote:Hi, me and my wife are in the same boat - both living in south derry but hope to move out to the middle east soon. I'm a valuation surveyor, my wifes a marketing manager. Valuation surveying jobs seem harder to come buy than QS. I've got some good vibes from a few recruitment consultants like macdonald and company, plus have a look on rics recruit dot com as well. I have an offer of a job in Qatar, and am currently thrashing out my pay and conditions.
There are loads of qs jobs out there, so it shouldnt be too hard to pick one up with a decent uk company, but you still have to look hard for the right one. Let me know how you get on.

Agree about QS jobs being plentiful in dubai. I'm a qs in manchester and my wife and I are moving out there in january. I got a job by applying direct to a firm who advertised in one of the building journals. I was also in contact with a few recruitment firms who fairly quickly offered me interviews with decent companies. Jay7, i don't think u'll have a problem getting a qs position. I've only been a qs for 3 and half yrs and been offered 3 times my salary when taking into account tax free wages.

Surveyor 1 - Did ur wife land a marketing job pretty easy? My wife is looking in that sort of field, marketing/sales, not had much response so far though.
duncheski
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2007
BabyDoll wrote:Wow you are getting married just because you want to come live here? Canada cant be all that bad, can it?? :shock:

We azzns be tryin to move TO canada.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Re: Relocating to Dubai Dec 12, 2007
Jay7 wrote:to Dubai for obvious reasons ie generous salaries & superb climate

First, absolutely.
Second, you think 45+ degrees temp with high humidity over 3-4 summer months is superb? I don't think so ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Relocating to Dubai Dec 12, 2007
xty wrote:
Jay7 wrote:to Dubai for obvious reasons ie generous salaries & superb climate

First, absolutely.
Second, you think 45+ degrees temp with high humidity over 3-4 summer months is superb? I don't think so ;)

Better than several months of wet & windy and a couple below freezing :shock:
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum