Relocating To Dubai From Canada ????

Topic locked
Relocating to Dubai from Canada ???? Oct 11, 2006
Hello All,

I'm new to this forum, but do find it very helpful. Here is my dilemma, my wife and I are relocating from Toronto, Canada to Dubai in December and we are wondering whether it is feasable to ship our furniture to Dubai or to simply purchase furniture when we arrive. Company in Dudai is providing furniture/relocation assitance. Cost to ship one way is approx. $ 9800 Dirhams.

Has anyone relocated from North America recently? Did you ship any furniture over?

Thanks for any assistance, Love the forum, keep it up.

canuck

CanuckEng
Dubai Forum Visitor

Oct 11, 2006
jeeeeeeeeeez buy from Dubai.......dirt cheap here.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Oct 11, 2006
sniper420 wrote:jeeeeeeeeeez buy from Dubai.......dirt cheap here.

I agree with Snipes
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Oct 11, 2006
I just moved from Canada to UAE. Furniture here is cheaper than in Canada, and way more variety. If I ever go back to Canada, I would like to take whatever I buy here. The same furniture would be very expensive there. I dont even know what to buy since there are so many places with very nice pieces...
Anyways, I guess it depends on what you have rigth now, if it is really nice or not, and how old it is. Replacing everything from scratch is expensive (even if prices here are cheaper), evertyhing quickly adds up...
indi
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2006
Thanks for the advice, I think we're leaning towards buying stuff in Dubai.
CanuckEng
Dubai Forum Visitor

Shipping Nov 07, 2006
Hi CanuckEng,

I am from Brighton On, 1 hour east of Toronto. I have just visited new employer and am returning ft in January. I was wondering how you managed to get everything shipped for $9kD?

Thanks, I Am!
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

Shipping Nov 07, 2006
Hello I AM,

I received a quote from www.internicmovingservices.com .

There are others I'm checking with as well such as Allied Van Lines. Still not quite convinced to ship anything, I hear things are pretty cheap in Dubai, but I'll make up my mind in the next week or so. If I do ship anything it wil be a few pieces only. (Will be flying over Dec 1).

Also try : info@continentalfreight.ca

Good Luck

Canuck Eng
CanuckEng
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 07, 2006
Good luck guys, and welcome to Dubai! There are quite a few of us Canadians here. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 07, 2006
Thank you CanuckEng, it is good to know, from the sounds of it, seems better to get stuff in Dubai; I hear there is an Ikea if that helps. I may only start with a studio, so little to get initially, good luck with setting up; 'I am' going over January 6 and bringing the clubs (skis provided!)
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 07, 2006
IKEA isn't always the cheapest place to get furniture. We got a complete dining set from Home Center that was cheaper than a similar set in IKEA.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 07, 2006
Was the only place I recognised while over there!
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 07, 2006
You guys will be just fine. We'll help suggest some good places, and when you check out the local malls there are heaps of stores to find furniture etc. When you arrive just take a look around and feel free to come back here to ask specific questions. Between all of us we should be able to help track down the best deals in town. :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 07, 2006
kanelli wrote:IKEA isn't always the cheapest place to get furniture. We got a complete dining set from Home Center that was cheaper than a similar set in IKEA.

your just spreading rumors coz they are swedish :lol:
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Nov 07, 2006
:wink:

:lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Nov 07, 2006
Thank you Kanelli, I look forward to it in Janauary! I started this early this morning, it's now past 9am, our work day is on, ciao for now!
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 08, 2006
I AM,

I recieved some more info on the whole shipping issue last night. A 20' container is actually $8000.00 CDN. This would include shipping, loading and unloading, customs fees, taxes etc....
Definately better to buy in Dubai. My decision is made.

CanuckEng
CanuckEng
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 08, 2006
Hi CanuckEng,

That makes it a lot easier for that part of the move for sure! Out of curiosity, what are you going over to do? What's the motivator?

I am.
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 09, 2006
PM for a construction/development company.

Motivation is mainly for a change of scenery, tax free lifestyle, the weather.... I've heard alot about Dubai and wanted to experience it for myself for a couple of years....
CanuckEng
Dubai Forum Visitor

Nov 09, 2006
Thanks CanuckEng, great industry to be in, as you know it is a 'super-boom' in construction and likely will be for years to come. All good reasons, I guess we are still trying to reinforce our decision, I think the snow and -c may help!

i am
I AM CANADIAN!
Dubai Forum Visitor

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum