Palm Island Problems?

Topic locked
Palm Island Problems? Mar 01, 2006
Before I finally take the plunge and invest in a Garden Villa on the Palm can anyone tell me if the rumours of problems there are true.EG Houses Cracking;Traffic;General build problems etc etc etc.Why wouldnt they let me see the villa before i buy?
I may sound naive but any help at all would be much appreciated before I decide to relocate the family.Many thanks

GOSS
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Re: Palm Island Problems? Mar 01, 2006
GOSS wrote:Before I finally take the plunge and invest in a Garden Villa on the Palm can anyone tell me if the rumours of problems there are true.EG Houses Cracking;Traffic;General build problems etc etc etc.Why wouldnt they let me see the villa before i buy?
I may sound naive but any help at all would be much appreciated before I decide to relocate the family.Many thanks

There do seem to be a few issues as I have heard people talking. Maybe someone else can shed some light on it?
jag
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 01, 2006
Well, before you buy I'd suggest you search the net for any info or photos that you can. One thing a lot of people are talking about is the density of the housing since in the artists impression it doesn't give a true impression of the surroundings of the villa, only the villa itsself (this is true for almost any project in Dubai)

Here's a recent picture of the villas

For more information go to these sites which I think are good.

http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/dxbpalms&page=all

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... ost7534777
dannyM
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 01, 2006
As far as i know there has been some serious settlement problems. This was also apparent when the new offshore hong kong airport was built.

The other problem within the "fonds" was stagnent water because of the lack of flow within the breakwater perimeter. however this has been solved now by inserting 2 breaks, one each side of the breakwater to allow "flow".

The only other problem i am aware of is one of errosion. It looks like Nakheel or its contractor will have to constantly top up the beaches.

Lastly the other problem is one of environmental. It now appears that because of the sheer size of the breakwater, it is having a serious knock on affect of the natural flow and currents on the land side along jumeira along to the creek. It seems the shape of the shorline is now changing and work is going to be needed to correct this.
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Mar 02, 2006
arniegang wrote:As far as i know there has been some serious settlement problems. This was also apparent when the new offshore hong kong airport was built.

The other problem within the "fonds" was stagnent water because of the lack of flow within the breakwater perimeter. however this has been solved now by inserting 2 breaks, one each side of the breakwater to allow "flow".

The only other problem i am aware of is one of errosion. It looks like Nakheel or its contractor will have to constantly top up the beaches.

Lastly the other problem is one of environmental. It now appears that because of the sheer size of the breakwater, it is having a serious knock on affect of the natural flow and currents on the land side along jumeira along to the creek. It seems the shape of the shorline is now changing and work is going to be needed to correct this.

The palm project in my opinion was dumb and waste. They could have spent that money on making railway systems and on education. That what happens inn monarchy ,nobody questions ur decisions where as in democratic, decisions can be slow but fruitful once pros and cons of project will be assessed.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 02, 2006
I dont think anyone is really interested in your opinions on this subject Sniper.
arniegang

Mar 02, 2006
awesome pics.

didn't know there were so many villas on that thing!
terranova
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Mar 02, 2006
I know someone from a paint company that was on the palm the week between christas and new year, and he told me that about 20% of the villa he looked at on the font they inspected had cracks in the stucture, and not small ones at that.
Alyapal
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 02, 2006
arniegang wrote:I dont think anyone is really interested in your opinions on this subject Sniper.

I am :-)
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Mar 03, 2006
arniegang wrote:I dont think anyone is really interested in your opinions on this subject Sniper.

Well if u aint interested, dont read ma posts
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 03, 2006
I would definetly agree with sniper420, there are some things more important than luxury..basic needs are more important than luxury and transportation & education are some of most imporant factors in making a better city and to be honest more transportation choices are really needed in dubai and I wont talk much abt the education system where you are told to memorize something rather than understand it. you cannot build the 3rd floor of the building if your second is cracked, i would only call that person stupid because later he will suffer the entire collapse.

PS: i think its dangerous of villas being completely surrounded by ocean. Global warming has caused UAE oceans to push itself more than before during powerful wind gusts. I cant imagine if tsunami hits due to zargos fault line in iran. There is always a chance.
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2006
bsorc wrote:I would definetly agree with sniper420, there are some things more important than luxury..basic needs are more important than luxury and transportation & education are some of most imporant factors in making a better city and to be honest more transportation choices are really needed in dubai and I wont talk much abt the education system where you are told to memorize something rather than understand it. you cannot build the 3rd floor of the building if your second is cracked, i would only call that person stupid because later he will suffer the entire collapse.

PS: i think its dangerous of villas being completely surrounded by ocean. Global warming has caused UAE oceans to push itself more than before during powerful wind gusts. I cant imagine if tsunami hits due to zargos fault line in iran. There is always a chance.

Yeah another important thing is UAE still needs to make laws regarding commerce , human rights etc. especially against con and scam ppl who rip ppl off.
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 03, 2006
I agree with Sniper. The Palms and World should never have been built because they have serious environmental repercussions.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 03, 2006
Thts true about the enviornment..Remember the news when hundreds of dead fishes were found in sharjah, it was concluded that it was due to the palm island construction & those fishes moved through a current. And thats another good reason UAE has alot of things to "build" first than some stupid islands. they have to build the structure that would really make Dubai special.
bsorc
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 04, 2006
Well I posted in another thread about this. I spoke to a really nice guy who helps to run one of the construction companies here. He wanted to get involved with the Palm developments, but had studies done by three independent companies from across the globe, and their findings were not good.

The foundations are already unstable. The beaches will have to be rebuilt up every single year because of errosion.

You cannot reclaim such a massive amount of land without having problems, the tidal flow has all changed and it's caused major issues with the Dubai coastline.

Another thing that they're not telling people is because the way the tides have changed and how it's all flowing differently, change in sea life etc Bull sharks are now being attracted into the area, which you'd normally find in deep water - er really wouldn't like to get up close to one of those guys.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 06, 2006
That's right the shifting currents due to the palms are causing major errosion across dubai's beaches. Another issue is this thing called shelving (I don't know if that's the proper name). It's where if you dig up some sand then the rest of the sand around will fall into the hole you created. Also this sand that has fallen will cause more sand to fall and fill it's place. This continues until you get to the beaches. You can notice this if you are standing in the water and if you suddenly drop 3 feet by only taking a few steps.

On a positive note I just checked out that skyscrapercity site I found on the net and there are some great pictures of the villas. I'm very surprised to say I'm impressed and certainly wouldn't mind one of my own. I really doubt this but I hope Nakheel are taking an extra year so they can improve quality, finishes, etc.

dannyM
Dubai Forums Member

Mar 06, 2006
Nice but Nakheel just got blasted in all the press after their properties basically turned into disaster areas in the rain - nice!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 06, 2006
4,000,000 dhs for block of sand,
2,000,000 dhs for mansion,
600,000 dhs for diamond encrusted toilet seat,
400,000 dhs gold plated fixture,
200,000 dhs for galvanized storm drains and windows,

Watching the Palms become Atlantis in next January's downpour - priceless.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 06, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:4,000,000 dhs for block of sand,
2,000,000 dhs for mansion,
600,000 dhs for diamond encrusted toilet seat,
400,000 dhs gold plated fixture,
200,000 dhs for galvanized storm drains and windows,

Watching the Palms become Atlantis in next January's downpour - priceless.

:lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 06, 2006
wow thank you for the pictures, are "nobodies" allowed on the palm? I have to go down and check this out one day.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 06, 2006
dont think us mere mortals are allowed yet fayz
arniegang

Mar 06, 2006
oh well, hopefully one day i get to see it, it looks impressive. I'm going for lunch at the Burj next week i guess I’ll have to bring my binoculars.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

Mar 06, 2006
What's with the 3 fuzzy guys in the picture? Did they shout 'BEam us up Scotty!'?
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 08, 2006
Thanks for all the info.Those latest pictures are unbelievable!The bottom line is if the Palm fails then the whole Dubai concept fails.This is the flagship developement and surely it must be seen to be perfect.Having looked into the Palm in great detail over the last month, it just seems such a great developement and wonderfull place to live.I visited Dubai for the first time at Christmas-returned a month later and have now decided to relocate the family and business there.Visiting Dubai I feel like a pioneer .Something very special is happening there and I am lucky,privalaged and honoured to be a part of it!
GOSS
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 08, 2006
Well good luck to you. But seriouly look at everything before buying! And remember 'all that glitters isn't gold!'.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Mar 08, 2006
I loved this photo especially

mmm now tell me where is the teleportor Danny ? :twisted:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 08, 2006
"Beam me up Scotty"
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 08, 2006
:D

I don't know what that is. I only got these from the net, didn't take them myself.

Obviously already the project is far from perfect since many will be disappointed with how close the houses are together
dannyM
Dubai Forums Member

GOSS Mar 08, 2006
Dont you think Danny when you see these Houses close up they dont look nowhere near as dense as from the arial shots?
GOSS
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 08, 2006
The larger villas have a good bit of space but the smaller ones are quite close together. Look at the first picture at the houses near the top right
dannyM
Dubai Forums Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum