Government Versus Private Sector Salary Packages

Topic locked
Government versus Private sector salary packages May 26, 2007
Hi all,

currently considering some offers from Dubai. What do you think about working for government - Executive position. Do they pay/treat you well at ministries. Or should you stick with the private sectors?

Thanks.

JoeSomeone
Dubai Forum Guest

May 26, 2007
hi there, i can't comment on the package or the structure of the package that they may offer; i should however point out, government and quasi-government departments do not fall under the UAE/ Dubai labour law, they have thier own system.

the point i'm trying to make is that very little on this site will actually be of use to you. they also have a MANDATORY 1 or 2 year labour ban on government jobs - there is no way of side-stepping or deffering this (as there is under the normal UAE/ Dubai ledgislation).

approach the contract/ job with care, as there is little room for manuvering if you make a mistake!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 26, 2007
dbxsoul wrote:hi there, i can't comment on the package or the structure of the package that they may offer; i should however point out, government and quasi-government departments do not fall under the UAE/ Dubai labour law, they have thier own system.

the point i'm trying to make is that very little on this site will actually be of use to you. they also have a MANDATORY 1 or 2 year labour ban on government jobs - there is no way of side-stepping or deffering this (as there is under the normal UAE/ Dubai ledgislation).

approach the contract/ job with care, as there is little room for manuvering if you make a mistake!
dbxsoul
Honored Member

off-topic May 26, 2007
hey dbxsoul .. good to see you back here .. how is Oman treating you ? :)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 26, 2007
oman! last i looked khartoum was in sudan :D
let me see if i can sum it up in one line....

hot, dusty, boring, asleep
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 26, 2007
my bad !! for some reason i thought you where in Oman !!

so i guess now i know why the Sudanese are so lazy :P
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 26, 2007
NO COMMENT!!! :D
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 27, 2007
Dbx, thanks.

I guess that is a concern. Also, I am wondering about the work environment. I currently work in the private sector in another GCC country and its ok. The government secotr however, is very complicated. Dealing with people is an experience on its own.

regards.
JoeSomeone
Dubai Forum Guest

May 27, 2007
:)

don't expect it to be much different then - plenty of internal politics from what i have seen.

what you do have to look forward to is:

extended holidays - more than private sector
tea break at 9 am, 10am, 11am, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm (if your'e still at work)
"breakfast" at 8.30am, brunch at about 10.30am
lunch at 12 till about 2 pm
free newspapers
2 day weekend
"extra short days" during ramadan
"company car" that you can use for 4x4, off-road or dune bashing

...... i'm sure there are plenty more perks

:D
dbxsoul
Honored Member

May 27, 2007
:)

You barely have time to do anything!!!

Well, I was thinking that Dubai's government is far more efficient that other GCC countries. Maybe I was mistaken :)

I will make sure that the perks are plenty if I am going to have to leave Dubai if want out of the job or if it does not reach standards.

This is going to be at one of the ministries of Dubai. I am waiting for the final numbers to see.
JoeSomeone
Dubai Forum Guest

May 27, 2007
ah, i was just pulling the p.ss out of them a little :D

granted, they are a lot more efficient than most; but there is a lot of "empire building" within the organisation, redundant workers because of duplication as well as "too many chief's and not enough indians" - basically your classic governement department

:D enjoy
dbxsoul
Honored Member

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum