Bringing Orig. Diploma To DXB When Entering On A Work Visa?

Topic locked
Bringing orig. diploma to DXB when entering on a work visa? Sep 08, 2008
After my company sends me a copy of my employment visa I understand I should bring it with me when entering Dubai and exchange it for the original at the airport. Should I bring my original diploma with me as well? Will they ask to see it in airport? Please advise.

Sean2008
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 09, 2008
1. They will not check your diploma on arrival at the airport
2. Nevertheless you should take the original with you because this has to be copied in attested way and after that it will be sent to the issuing education provider for verification.

Polls in UAE gave the picture that approx. 65% of all shown up diplomas are fake. So they changed the procedure.
matrjoschka
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 09, 2008
Thanks for your reply, matrjoschka. I already had my diploma attested in the United States by the university registrar, Notary Public, Secretary of State, US Dept of State and the UAE Embassy. Then I sent it to my employer to process the work visa for me. Is that the attestation process you're talking about or is there another one before getting the residence visa? Please clarify.

matrjoschka wrote:you should take the original with you because this has to be copied in attested way and after that it will be sent to the issuing education provider for verification.
Sean2008
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 09, 2008
yes, that's the process. so you have already done it.
did you get the original back from your employer or not?
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 09, 2008
My employer didn't ask for the original. They just asked for a copy of the attested diploma.

dbxsoul wrote:did you get the original back from your employer or not?
Sean2008
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 09, 2008
strange. they may have applied for labour approval on the basis of the copy - they normally require the original. in anycase in order to finally get your labour card you still have to undergo the medical.

take the original attested version with you, may save you a few days and some couriour fees.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 09, 2008
Thanks dude. I'll bring the original with me. By the way, the company is in a free zone so maybe the visa process is different there.

dbxsoul wrote:strange. they may have applied for labour approval on the basis of the copy - they normally require the original. in anycase in order to finally get your labour card you still have to undergo the medical.

take the original attested version with you, may save you a few days and some couriour fees.
Sean2008
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 10, 2008
My future Employer wants to retain my Original Degree Certificate for the duration of my employment...I'm not happy with this having heard a couple of problems Employees have had with things going sour at the end of their employment. Any feed back? Is this normal practice or should I fight this?
Trusty
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Sep 10, 2008
@Trusty,

fight this!
Holding back degrees, passports etc. by the employer is against the law (although usual practice).

Pragmatically: Wait till you have your labor card, then you are registered. Claim then return of your (degrees) or your countries (passport) property. If ro return, open a complaint at the labor office.

M
matrjoschka
Dubai Forum Visitor

Sep 10, 2008
matrjoschka wrote:@Trusty,

fight this!
Holding back degrees, passports etc. by the employer is against the law (although usual practice).

Pragmatically: Wait till you have your labor card, then you are registered. Claim then return of your (degrees) or your countries (passport) property. If ro return, open a complaint at the labor office.

M

Thanks matrjoschka, as i suspected & I will try and negotiate this out or it may even prevent me from accepting their offer to avoid going down that route - Thankfully I have more than one offer on the table right now :D
Trusty
Dubai Expat Wannabe

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum