Both Expats, & Wife's Muslim - Are We Gonna Have Problem

Topic locked
Both expats, & wife's Muslim - Are we gonna have problem Mar 15, 2006
:?: My wife and I are considering a move to Dubai. I'm Christian (Canadian), she's Muslim (Malaysian) and neither one of us is particularly religious. We were married in Canada under a civil ceremony. Her name will clearly identify her as a Muslim. Are we going to have major issues living in Dubai? Will the civil marriage be recognised (for example, Malaysia does not recognise that we are married). What if we have children while we are there?

Would love to hear from anyone who has first hand knowledge. Have searched the board but can't seem to find anything on our particular circumstances (also can't believe this hasn't come up for somebody before). Thanks.

Towner
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 15, 2006
I don't think you will have a problem at all. The main thing is that you are married.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Mar 15, 2006
No prob. Met a woman a few weeks back and she's Canadian and not really religious and her husband's Muslim and not particularly religious! I think you'll find everyone is accepting here of everyone's differences, be they cultural or religious. :)
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

Both expats, & wife's Muslim - Are we gonna have problem Mar 16, 2006
Thanks kanelli and GAB. My understanding is that it's less of an issue in a Muslim country where it's the husband who is Muslim then in my situation where the wife only is Muslim. I'm aware that Dubai is fairly progressive, but so is Malaysia (relatively speaking). If our marriage were not recognised, I'm wondering if we'd then be breaking the law (likely to become an issue if we have children while we're there and the hospital is unable to consider us 'married' with our civil law marriage certificate because of my wife's religion).

Any other views out there?

Do you have to indicate your religion on employment passes etc.?
Towner
Dubai Forum Guest

Mar 16, 2006
A civil service is still a legal ceremony so no reason for ur marriage not be legally recognized. Can't say the same for religiously if neither of u have converted.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

Mar 17, 2006
Just came across this post and thought id reply to you!!

I dont think it matters what your religion is, but your marriage must be recognised in the UAE.

I married a UAE national in the UK and for our marriage to be registered herein the UAE, I had to send our marriage certificate to London to the UAE embassy and to the Commonwealth Office for verification that the marriage certificate is legitimate.

Also my cousin who is British, married an American in America and they had to send their certificate to Washington DC for it to be legalised?!!

Just a thought, that if you are moving here and you are gonna sponsor youre wife, you will probably need to get your marriage certificate legalised and stamped by the government authorities in Canada to prove its legitimate?!

Just something I thought you should know!!!
SheikhaS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 09, 2006
My male friend recently got married to a Muslim woman, and the UAE government required that he convert to Islam.
It is OK for a Muslim Man to marry a non-Muslim woman but not the other way around.
You probably already know this, but for others benefit, the man is seen as the head of the household and the woman is obliged to do what he asks. If he decides that she cannot practice her religion, then she has to obey his decision. This is why they ask that the male converts to Islam.
You first problem will be getting your wife's residency.
I would state that she is christian on all of your applications, however it might be easier if you convert.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Apr 09, 2006
benwj your talking about a new marriage in the UAE, he is already married.

AFAIK what SheikhaS said is right, get your marriage certificate attested by the Canadian goverment and the UAE embassy in Canada and you shouldnt have a problem.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2006
MaaaD wrote:AFAIK what SheikhaS said is right, get your marriage certificate attested by the Canadian goverment and the UAE embassy in Canada and you shouldnt have a problem.

Exactly.
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 09, 2006
Liban wrote:
MaaaD wrote:AFAIK what SheikhaS said is right, get your marriage certificate attested by the Canadian goverment and the UAE embassy in Canada and you shouldnt have a problem.

Exactly.

u recently got engaged eh? how unfortunate she must be..... :lol:
sniper420
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 10, 2006
Hi!

I believe benwj is right - your marriage may not be recognised in the UAE - same logic as in Malaysia. Check with a lawyer - write to the guy who gives free legal advise in Gulf News...or is it Khaleej Times.

I have read in the newspapers itself that non-muslim man and muslim woman marriage is considered null and void.
AFG
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Apr 10, 2006
AFAIK what SheikhaS said is right, get your marriage certificate attested by the Canadian goverment and the UAE embassy in Canada and you shouldnt have a problem.

Yes, that is the way to do it.

I don't know if malysian passport got religion field or not, but if your religion is stated that you are a muslim, and his (canadian i know) passport or documents shows he is non muslim. i think there will be a problem.

Anyway, it is all paper work that can be sorted out using a person who knows his ways around and how to make everything legal.

Side note, i felt obliged to mention:
" A muslim lady Should not marry a non-muslim Man" it is not an opinion, it is a relgious "MUST DO" thing.

Anyway, it is a free world. everyone do what he/she thinks it is right.

Good luck for whatever is RIGHT for you.

cheers[/quote]
yshimy

posting in Dubai Expat Help ForumForum Rules

Return to Dubai Expat Help Forum