When Forum Moderators Go Bad

Topic locked
When Forum Moderators Go Bad Jan 05, 2009
What do you do if a forum moderator becomes hurtful to your forums rather than helpful? A WebmasterWorld thread asks this question based on negative actions performed by a moderator of his forum that resulted in loss of membership. Consequently, he also demoted the moderator.
What I’ve learned from this experience:

1)Never reward a member with a moderation spot just because they have been an active/long time poster. Find other ways to reward good members.

2)Look for warning signs that they might not be a good moderator. Do they get snippy or argue with other members? Are they very opinionated? Do they have an even temper? Have they been ‘know it all’ posters?

3)Avoid mixing moderators and friendship. When things go bad it’s hard to separate the two.

4)Make sure you have written rules on what the moderator job is and how they are expected to act and make sure the see them BEFORE you make them a moderator.

5)Chose a moderator as if you were hiring an employee. Will they represent you well both on and off the forums.

6)Remove moderators quickly if they are losing a forum.
Some people just take the power trip for personal gain. This quote by another member is so true for this instance:
" Power corrupts...
and absolute power, corrupts absolutely"

Appointing moderators can be a pretty sticky situation if they are biased in such a way that it is destructive rather than helpful.
Moderators who are immoderate and partial are very destructive, damaging users' trust.

You can lose a lot of core/good members when even one mod gets rude/patronizing/personal or is clearly editing in a partial or biased way!

-Cliquish, opinionated, manipulative, never wrong. Took arguments with the people she didn’t like onto other forums.

-no single user should be more powerful than your forum as a whole.

rings a bell ? anyone ?

uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jan 05, 2009
Well clearly Admin don't have a problem, so go whine somewhere else.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: When Forum Moderators Go Bad Jan 05, 2009
If some of the questions that have been asked/replies received are "hurtful" to you, then you have an easy option i.e. LEAVE the forum.

It is a fairly simple thing to do, there is NO need to make a big song and dance about it, just leave.

uaekid wrote:What do you do if a forum moderator becomes hurtful to your forums rather than helpful? A WebmasterWorld thread asks this question based on negative actions performed by a moderator of his forum that resulted in loss of membership. Consequently, he also demoted the moderator.
What I’ve learned from this experience:

1)Never reward a member with a moderation spot just because they have been an active/long time poster. Find other ways to reward good members.

2)Look for warning signs that they might not be a good moderator. Do they get snippy or argue with other members? Are they very opinionated? Do they have an even temper? Have they been ‘know it all’ posters?

3)Avoid mixing moderators and friendship. When things go bad it’s hard to separate the two.

4)Make sure you have written rules on what the moderator job is and how they are expected to act and make sure the see them BEFORE you make them a moderator.

5)Chose a moderator as if you were hiring an employee. Will they represent you well both on and off the forums.

6)Remove moderators quickly if they are losing a forum.
Some people just take the power trip for personal gain. This quote by another member is so true for this instance:
" Power corrupts...
and absolute power, corrupts absolutely"

Appointing moderators can be a pretty sticky situation if they are biased in such a way that it is destructive rather than helpful.
Moderators who are immoderate and partial are very destructive, damaging users' trust.

You can lose a lot of core/good members when even one mod gets rude/patronizing/personal or is clearly editing in a partial or biased way!

-Cliquish, opinionated, manipulative, never wrong. Took arguments with the people she didn’t like onto other forums.

-no single user should be more powerful than your forum as a whole.

rings a bell ? anyone ?
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 05, 2009
Or Yorky, maybe he should be asking himself WHY people are so mean to him! Because of course it couldn't possibly have anything at all to do with his attitude and the way he talks to people - oh no! :roll:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
chocoholic
Chocoholic wrote:Or Yorky, maybe he should be asking himself WHY people are so mean to him! Because of course it couldn't possibly have anything at all to do with his attitude and the way he talks to people - oh no! :roll:

should I copy paste some of your old post toward others and how you force your opinion ? or should I copy paste your posts as a moderator when you call other members with hurtfull names.
uaekid

Jan 05, 2009
uaekid,

If you don't like the way you are being treated on the forum, leave, it is plain and simple.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 05, 2009
guys I thought you would be nerrow minded when you ask ppl to leave if they don't like it, remember ?
uaekid

Jan 05, 2009
Couldn't agree more! And I only bite back, when riled in the first place! So who's to blame there?

Seriously go talk to people who care, because in case you haven't noticed - we don't!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
uaekid wrote:guys I thought you would be nerrow minded when you ask ppl to leave if they don't like it, remember ?

You have paid nothing for being a member on this forum, therefore you have nothing "holding" you here. If you feel that you are being mistreated because you yourself have mistreated others, then you have the option to either stay and fight it out, or leave.

Nobody knows who you are (although I am sure some would like to :twisted: ) so you have nothing to lose by leaving.
yorky500
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 05, 2009
Its not unusual for a kid to prat., as long as uaekid is a kid...

the post goes like this...blah blah expats not worthy blah blah UAE worthy country blah blah blah!!!!!

I agree UAE is a worthy country however some people here lack certain level of knowledge and so do other countries!!!!!

8)
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Couldn't agree more! And I only bite back, when riled in the first place! So who's to blame there?

Seriously go talk to people who care, because in case you haven't noticed - we don't!

I'm just trying to make the members aware of your acts, thats all dear. you see I don't kiss as*es here :)
uaekid

Jan 05, 2009
And that's a really good point to make too! How many people in the UAE that complain and moan about expats have ever actually been outside their own back yard? Not many!

The guys with the decent, grounded, more worldly attitude are the ones who have been educated outside the country. They get how the rest of the world works and are therefore better equipped to take onboard opinion and have one of their own.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
beside this post is talking about mod's not uaekid.. I love doing this to you guys, and as you said you don't know me nither care,then why are replying LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
uaekid

Jan 05, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:Couldn't agree more! And I only bite back, when riled in the first place! So who's to blame there?

I'm just trying to make the members aware of your acts, thats all dear. you see I don't kiss as*es here :)

Well I'm certainly not going to kiss your ass either mate! Oh and I suppose YOU have nothing nothing wrong, you're Mr Innocent, boohoo woe is me!

Get over it.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
uaekid wrote:beside this post is talking about mod's not uaekid.. I love doing this to you guys, and as you said you don't know me nither care,then why are replying LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

they are educating you kid!!!!!

:lol:
sharfraz
Dubai chat master

Jan 05, 2009
Nothing is going to educate this guy. He thinks his whole world is perfect that there are no issues - hmmmmm try telling that to my Emirati friend, who has a wife, four children, three of whom have medical problems, one is autistic with ADD and has never been to school. He cannot find care and support for the child. His father ran off with his whole families birth certificats and passports, so he and his family are effectively stateless and none existant in their own country. Yet the government has done absolutely nothing to help them in the last 5 years!

How about that KID?! Your own don't even care about their 'brothers'!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
People, just ignore the troll!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Jan 05, 2009
Agreed this child is fool please lets just all ignore him
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 05, 2009
sharfraz wrote:they are educating you kid!!!!!

Do he need education? :idea:
I thought UAEkid is well-educated and a decent person? :?:
ArchitectRoel
Dubai forums Addict

Jan 05, 2009
The only thing I would have to say is that you only associates with people like you ! people with problems! You only seek negativity.

You are …… no need to call names…. But in our perfect world dear such things does not exists!! If you have been issued a passport ones , you can always clam a another one for a dh100  it doesn't matter who RAN AWAY with your old one, that is world wide. Where do you get this non sense from I have no clue.

Chocoholic …
You are a lonely sad person from the inside, you failed to succeed in your own country, you failed to succeed in other countries and previous jobs, you failed in having a love relation ship ,you lost your path in life dear, probably because you only look at issues from a negative view. Why can't you allow your self to live happy. Be a normal person, get a boyfriend or a vibrating toothbrush for all I care. I understand you are ageing , but you still have time to make things right for you and live like the rest of the world. Get out of your full of cats home and see the sunshine, enjoy life for god sack.

Now…
I never said UAE is perfect , us locals have problems of our own and need but why do I disagree with you is bcz when you discuses an issues against uae you tell it from one side and when I or others start telling the other side of it you go jumping up and down about it. Why ? most of you are demanding the country to offer you the perfect life you failed to reach your selves !! I mean think of it , there are others who are consestly spend their time working hard improving their lifes and you are spending it in how or where to find a prostitute or set all day asking a foreigner country to feed you milk in a bottle. Get up your as*es and something useful for your selves.
uaekid

Jan 05, 2009
UAEkid - I have only just joined this site and you are by far the most negative of all. You are only getting what you deserve in response to your poorly thought out and very narrow minded views. All countries have issues, we all agree on that, but why you have a go at the people that help you make your country what it is i dont understand. Chill wee man.
Mateyboy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 05, 2009
Mateyboy wrote:UAEkid - I have only just joined this site and you are by far the most negative of all. You are only getting what you deserve in response to your poorly thought out and very narrow minded views. All countries have issues, we all agree on that, but why you have a go at the people that help you make your country what it is i dont understand. Chill wee man.

help comes free, they are getting paid !
uaekid

Jan 05, 2009
You knowing nothing about me you ignorant, pathetic individual.

If I've changed jobs, or moved it was always for progression because I worked hard to succeed and move to the next level. I lived around the world because my family moved.

I'm super happy and I've never ever regretted anything.

So hard dare you judge!

Go away! Nobody likes you, or are you too stupid to get it!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:You knowing nothing about me you ignorant, pathetic individual.

If I've changed jobs, or moved it was always for progression because I worked hard to succeed and move to the next level. I lived around the world because my family moved.

So hard dare you judge!

and I don't like you too, so why don't you leave the countryand stop being A hypocrete or a Contrupeter to the human Suffering you clam in the UAE
uaekid

Jan 05, 2009
:knob:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
UAEkid - Give it up man. You have been hung, strung and quartered by everyone in here, literally speaking of course.

With regards to the other thread, its not charity week mate - I dont work for free.
Mateyboy
Dubai Forum Visitor

Jan 05, 2009
uaekid wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:You knowing nothing about me you ignorant, pathetic individual.

So hard dare you judge!

and I don't like you too, so why don't you leave the countryand stop being A hypocrete or a Contrupeter to the human Suffering you clam in the UAE

nah I'm gonna stick around for years to come, spreading my corrupt and evil ways! which by the way you all seem to love so much! :thebirdman:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jan 05, 2009
UAEKid...You complain about the Mods?

Have you had any of your posts edited?

Have you ever not been able to express your own opinion here?

Have you ever paid to be a member here?

You will notice that it is not just one or two people who have raised issues with your content, its been the majority...from every nationality, religion and walk of life.
You have expressed your opinions and you have been weighed, you have been judged, and you have been found wanting.

The Mods are here to stop the excesses and keep this forum within the bounds of moral decency acceptable within YOUR country. We are totally fair with decent posts even if we don't agree with the content. If it breaks the bounds of decency, is openly racist, obscene or offensive. Then we choose to act under guidelines issued by the Administrators.

As you say to people in your country: If you don't like it, leave.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jan 05, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:UAEKid...You complain about the Mods?

Have you had any of your posts edited?

It's the question I'd like to know as well 'coz it's a unique feature of these forums I've never seen anywhere else....
Red Chief
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 05, 2009
Dubai Knight wrote:UAEKid...You complain about the Mods?

The Mods are here to stop the excesses and keep this forum within the bounds of moral decency acceptable within YOUR country. We are totally fair with decent posts even if we don't agree with the content. If it breaks the bounds of decency, is openly racist, obscene or offensive. Then we choose to act under guidelines issued by the Administrators.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight

teach chocoholic all the above. she just gave me the finger man ..which I liked and was shocking :)

DK... you look at me as an enemy, well at least chocoholic. but isn't it fare for whom ever is reading those post to know the both sides of an issue. you don't wana deny them this right now. do you ?

I mean all of you or most are foreigners and seems to agree in most of the issues against UAE and that’s fine as long as I get the right to express my feelings with out cretin ppl being sarcasm about it , don't I? I mean I'm numbered here and can't do nothing about it.

If you as a mod agree to the above then we have solved the on going fight ! how is that ?
uaekid

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat