The Spoiled Emiratis In London. Have A Look!!!

Topic locked
The Spoiled Emiratis in London. Have a Look!!! Jul 26, 2010
This piece is actually about all the spoiled wealthy Gulf crowd, vacationing in London this summer. It is entertaining to read. Enjoy!!!

TJ :) :)

Knightsbridge is London's pop-up oasis

by Simon Mills

It is 7.15pm outside Ladurée, the chichi designer macaroon café attached to the normally quieter back end of Harrods at the corner of Hans Road and Basil Street. It's a coolish July evening but the narrow, doglegging streets around the famous Knightsbridge brownstone are rapidly hotting up.

Forget Geneva and the fuddy-duddy old Festival of Speed at Goodwood. If it's sheer automotive flash and bestial muscle you like in your motor show, check out this central London location on any given evening from July through early August and you won't believe your eyes.

Here comes a low-riding Lamborghini Murciélago with a matt black, Batmobile-spec paint job and a garish yellow leather interior. Two boys, no older than 20, both wearing gold sunglasses, sit inside pumping the stereo and the gas pedal. The engine makes a noise like a scalded rottweiler as it is jockeyed up to its parking position, two wheels on, two wheels off the pavement. I can't help noticing that it has no number plate on the front.

As if to upstage the Italian super-car, an even more super one rocks up — a £1 million Bugatti Veyron. Every inch of its bodywork has been gold-plated.

Three vehicles behind is another Veyron. This one is white with chromium wings. The driver gets out — he is about 25 and dressed like an off-duty Lewis Hamilton. I compliment him on his car and ask him how he got it over to London. “In my plane!” he says with a huge grin and hands the keys to a flunkey.

The live action game of Top Gear Top Trumps continues with a pearl-white, four-door Porsche Panamera. The Porsche parks in a “pay and display” bay, but its driver does neither. With a pip of his locking zapper he disappears into a Harrods side door.
Around the corner is a Rolls-Royce Phantom customised with a stainless steel bonnet. The number plate on this car is “1”. Later on, I will Google-search this vehicle and discover something quite extraordinary; a couple of years back the Dubai resident owner of this car paid out the sum of, wait for it, $14 million for the registration number alone ... just to be top dog, number one in Dubai.

Now an arrogantly long Maybach limousine painted in distinct orange and matt black arrives. The letters “RRR” are picked out on the vehicle's boot in a diamond-studded font. A handsome young man and his friend (or PA? or bodyguard?) apparently dressed for a night out at Movida — faded jeans, Hermès belt, Ralph Lauren polo shirt, pastel suede Hermès driving shoes and bronze tint aviators — roll out and head off into the dark green and brass of Harrods for some late-night shopping.

This is Crown Prince Sheikh Ammar bin Humaid Al Nuaimi, flamboyant petrolhead son of the multibillionaire HRH Sheikh Rashid Bin Humaid Al Nuaimi of Ajman. Ajman, in case you didn't know (I certainly didn't), is the smallest emirate in the United Arab Emirates but has grand plans to become a mini Dubai. RRR is the banner for the Crown Prince's vast portfolio of orange and black super-cars — it stands for Rich in Real Estate Resources.

I talk to a parking warden in Basil Street who takes off his hat to reveal a sweaty forehead. How do you go about writing tickets to these guys? I ask. “It's impossible,” he says, showing me the computerised ticket machine he wears around his neck. “This thing only has numbers and letters on it. Their number plates just …” He tails off, struggling for the right word. “Look like squiggles?” I suggest. “Yeah. There are no keys on my machine for those.”

Meanwhile, a man and his young wife walk up to the café's reception. Laden with shopping bags he is dressed, as all these rich young Arab men seem to be, like an aspirant R&B superstar in acid wash jeans, gold-rimmed shades and one of those rococo rock 'n' roll T-shirts by Ed Hardy.

She has a mobile phone clamped to her face and huge Dior sunglasses picked out with diamante around the rims. I notice that there is a small Gucci logo on the arm of her floor-length burka — Prada and Chanel burkas are also available.

They join the polite café society scene underneath the eau-de-nil awnings outside and order diet Cokes, £15 club sandwiches and plates of pink macaroons. Every single table here at Ladurée, at the Café Rouge opposite and the Patisserie Valerie around the corner, is taken by people from the Gulf states and the Middle East — Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait and Dubai.

The groups are either well-behaved families with Mum still in her abaya headscarf and big shades, groups of giggly young girls or groups of posturing young boys all in Arab-preppy finery, two or three mobile phones each, keys to Ferraris and Lamborghinis chucked down next to their napkins.

The young women from the more liberated countries of Bahrain and Dubai are dolled up like J-Lo (they must watch an awful lot of MTV back home).The girls who choose to keep wearing their burkas — mostly Saudi Arabians, I am told — are extravagantly made up with kohl-lined eyes and red lipstick.

A subtle courtship ritual may be at play here but if it is, it is too subtle for me to detect. Indeed, there seems to be little or no interaction between the sexes. Everyone pays with cash produced in wads from croc wallets. No wonder locals call the area “Little Kuwait” during August.

For the mega-wealthy oil billionaire families of the Gulf states, summertime means central London. When temperatures at home hit 50 degrees, they flock to the capital for the cool weather, the thriving social scene and the shopping — especially at Harrods which is, rather neatly, now owned by the Qatari royal family's investment arm.

Some keep summer houses in London — there are said to be more than 100 billionaire Saudi families with second homes in the Knightsbridge area alone — while others prefer out-of-town locations such as Bishops Avenue, Coombe Hill in Kingston and St George's Hill in Weybridge.

They'll go to the Derby, Royal Ascot and the Berkshire Festival of Falconry, which is sponsored by the Abu Dhabi-based Emirates Falconers' Club and attended by His Highness Sheikh Sultan Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan.

Otherwise, whole floors of hotels around Hyde Park — the Jumeirah Carlton Tower now owned by the famous Dubai group and the Four Seasons Hotel, owned by Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Al-Saud (who also owns the Savoy Hotel) — are block-booked.
During the days, the women have their drivers drop them in Hyde Park where they promenade around the Serpentine, stopping to soak up the coolness and cloudy skies on the benches or laying out on the grass in large circles with their friends. And then there's shopping.

The men rise later, do some shopping (lots of gift-giving to do on these holidays), maybe head to the cafés of Edgware Road for quail eggs and brioche or smoke a bit of sheesha, then get into their cars for a cruise.

This influx of super-rich holidaymakers and others attracted by such wealth has not pleased everyone. Last year, the Evening Standard reported how complaints from people living in the area adjacent to Ladurée had led to summertime tension. Beggars, drug deals and road rage-generated fist-fights were mentioned.

This year police have reacted by issuing an anti-social order around the busy café that lasts from April 1 to September 30; all summer long, basically. Now anyone creating a nuisance in a zone that extends from West Yeoman's Row, Lennox Gardens, Ovington Square, Brompton Road, Lowndes Square and Pont Street, can be removed, and rowdy, revving groups can be quickly dispersed.

But the first anti-social behaviour order in Knightsbridge history doesn't seem to have put anyone off.

London, especially during these straitened times, does go to great lengths to court Arab business. When the people at Harvey Nics discovered that the year-on-year Arabic spend figures in the Knightsbridge area were showing a 66 per cent increase, the department store extended its hours to 9pm all week and the Fifth Floor food hall got a sheesha smoking terrace. An advertising campaign with a playful Arabic creative theme showed a picture of a single Lanvin shoe. The strapline below, written in Arabic, read “The English are known for having bad teeth, that is why they need beautiful shoes.”

But what's the big deal about shabby old London anyway? Yes, we have nice shoes, but can't you get those anywhere? Doesn't our capital seem a bit old and worn compared with bandbox-new Saudi?

“Many of the visitors from the Gulf states will tell you that they come to London because, unlike in the US or France, they are made to feel welcome here,” says Hussam Baramo, a Syrian-born, London-based features editor at Al Quds newspaper.
“Many of the younger, more fashion-conscious visitors from Qatar, Dubai and Bahrain even prefer to speak English (rather than Arabic) to each other, throwing in bits of youth slang they have learned off the TV.

“They think this is more modern. You hear reports of women getting changed out of their burkas on the aeroplane so that they can feel free as soon as they land. They like London because they think it is safe and friendly.”

However, London is just a holiday, and once the temperature drops, westernised behaviour is put aside for another year. All the shopping and beautiful cars are loaded onto private planes and everyone heads home for the start, on August 11 this year, of the holy month of Ramadan.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/lifestyle ... p-oasis.do

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: The Spoiled Emiratis in London. Have a Look!!! Jul 26, 2010
Good luck to them, some of us should be glad that they are contributing to the economy of the UK.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: The Spoiled Emiratis In London. Have A Look!!! Jul 26, 2010
Gives a chance for Londoners to witness the big bawlin culture we are used to over here. Drool over some of the bling and wheels which they might otherwise never see in their lives. And throw up on some of gaudy pinked out, riced rides.

RRR has his own section on supercarsdubai

http://www.supercarsdubai.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77

And its not only London but most of the party spots in Europe where there is this display of GCC bling. Mostly Saudi, Qatari and Emarati.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

They clearly live useless, empty fake lives.....

Sad....in a way!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

NIceee!!! That is certainly enviable. Why sad TJ? They just enjoying a vacation man!!
That said London apart don't forget Paris another hot jaunt for the Middle East's young and flashy!!!

-- Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 pm --

desertdudeshj wrote: Drool over some of the bling and wheels which they might otherwise never see in their lives.

LOL guess no one needs to see gold plated cars, but Brits on their own are rather wealthy people. Sure they don't need Mid East culture to appreciate tha bling bling!!

desertdudeshj wrote: And throw up on some of gaudy pinked out, riced rides.

Gumball??

desertdudeshj wrote:And its not only London but most of the party spots in Europe where there is this display of GCC bling. Mostly Saudi, Qatari and Emarati.

That's the dream man, that's the dream!!!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Tom Jones wrote:They clearly live useless, empty fake lives.....

Sad....in a way!

8) 8)

Come on man, whats so sad about that. If you had so much money that if you hired a million men to count it until the day they died and they still wouldn't reach a fraction of it. What would you do.

I know what I would do. I would be a baller too. Nothing wrong with a little bling too. But ofcourse I'd be a little more tastefull than a bloody gold plated veyron and pinked out Ferraris and wearing cheesy designer wear.

I dunno I grew up on the middle east and don't understand this western concept of somewhat being ashamed of their wealth or looking down on someone who chooses to live a little.

I'm sure if you got crazy money with out actually having to put in a single days of honest work you'd be bit of a baller too.

Look at crazy b1tches like Lindsay Lohan, britney or paris..Oh hell no. and they ain't even that rich compared to these players
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:They clearly live useless, empty fake lives.....

Sad....in a way!

8) 8)

I know what I would do. I would be a baller too. Nothing wrong with a little bling too. But ofcourse I'd be a little more tastefull than a bloody gold plated veyron and pinked out Ferraris and wearing cheesy designer wear.

Look at crazy b1tches like Lindsay Lohan, britney or paris..Oh hell no. and they ain't even that rich compared to these players

Well DD I'm certain if you earned the money you'd appreciate it better. Think that's what TJ was tryin to elucidate.
Besides what's wealth?? The average politico in Pak and Ind probably have as much stacked way. That's hardy worth admiring though is it?
A Forbes article on Paris Hilton actually shows her making her own moolah.. Yaa all on her own steam, not a fraction coming in from the Hilton surname.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Re: The Spoiled Emiratis in London. Have a Look!!! Jul 27, 2010
The only mistake the journalist made was claiming they will all flock back here for Ramadan. It is more likely they will spend the time in one of their other residences in Monaco or Cap D'Antibes, enjoying the 'be-aches' and 'travelling' continually.

So little to do, so much time in which to do it.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

desertdudeshj wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:
I dunno I grew up on the middle east and don't understand this western concept of somewhat being ashamed of their wealth or looking down on someone who chooses to live a little.

I too grew up here, but I would never buy a gold plated car even if I was a multi billionaire. Its all about taste.....

-- Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am --

The comments grom some of the GCC people in that arictle are quite funny; comments wrt others being jealous of not having gold sunglasseS ETC.

The avergae Londoner may openly welcome ostentatious spenders as tourists but I doubt they respect them.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

desertdudeshj wrote:I dunno I grew up on the middle east and don't understand this western concept of somewhat being ashamed of their wealth or looking down on someone who chooses to live a little.

Because its a culture of investment, well at least the nordic countries.
Flying Dutchman
Dubai Forums Zealot

I also think it's pretty sad that people feel the need to flaunt their wealth.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

desertdudeshj

You airfreight your special edition, 2 number plate Nissan GTR in the back of your executive jet, pay the bond in the UK to drive it around as well as the crucifying insurance for a foreign plated left hooker, then park it illegally?

Send a flunky down to the Hyde Park payment centre with two hundred quid and halliwalli the Denver Boot within the hour and off you go to the next party.

You think the owner of this car is worried about the fine?

I think not.

However he would not have got so much as a parking ticket in Dubai. At least the UK has one rule for all...

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: The Spoiled Emiratis In London. Have A Look!!! Jul 27, 2010
You do know that GTR belongs to the crown prince of Dubai Shk Hamdan right.

Worried about the fine, your right I think not. I was actually wondering if the fine was paid at all.
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:You do know that GTR belongs to the crown prince of Dubai Shk Hamdan right.

Worried about the fine, your right I think not. I was actually wondering if the fine was paid at all.

I didn't want to name and shame...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Fair play to them

If you got it - buy it and flaunt it i say
arniegang

Exactly 8)
desertdudeshj

desertdudeshj wrote:You do know that GTR belongs to the crown prince of Dubai Shk Hamdan right.

I'm not that familiar with clampers, but I didn't think they answered to anyone, not even Fazza.
They probably do quite well for themselves during this time of the year.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Re: The Spoiled Emiratis in London. Have a Look!!! Jul 28, 2010
arniegang wrote:Fair play to them

If you got it - buy it and flaunt it i say

Nope...I do not agree!!!

Not just because you got it, it's OK to do anything with it.

Legally, yes, you can spend it anyway you want, but morally, it is not right to spend millions foolishly on something as petty as a mere piece of metal (a stupid license plate) when, instead, those millions could be spent to help the poor, the sick and the hungry.

Throwing lots of millions on a thin, small piece of metal that costs pennies to produce is morally obscene in my opinion.

With vast wealth also comes social responsibility.

Bill Gates is richer, many times over, than those foolish Gulf Arabs, yet he eats at McDonald’s, travels business class (not first,) and gives billions (with a B) to charity.

End of sermon!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: The Spoiled Emiratis In London. Have A Look!!! Jul 28, 2010
TJ - I'm with you when it comes to the morality and responsibility of spending money.

However, the actions of those who are filthy rich is nothing new. Throughout history when wealth is accumulated disproportionately, the inheritors of that wealth - especially the first few generations - give themselves over to conspicuous spending and follies - rare is the nouveau rich in history who does not buy the bling of their time.

History shows that the older monied classes, throughout the years, look down on the nouveau rich and forget that their forebears also blinged out - only over time the money runs out, or the cost of servicing the mansions, stately homes, castles, empires means that they don't have the wealth of the newcomers and they hide behind a snobbishness about how 'vulgar' the new guys are.

Interestingly, in societies where there isn't this great disparity between the richest and the poorest - take Ancient Sparta as an example - you don't get this issue -rather society as a whole rises and falls. Athenians got relatively more rich than other city states - and they blinged out on statues, temples, marathons, orgies etc etc. I'm sure there were the 'tut tuts' going on by those who thought this vulgar.

Philanthropists like Gates etc aren't new. In modern times you have guys who blinged out and also spent on charities - from Rockefeller, Carnegie etc. You have others who are more austere - such as the Rowntrees and the Buffets.

What you find is that those making the money doing actual work, don't have the inclination or time to do too much of the conspicuous bling. It is the next generation that gets the wealth without sweat that splurges out conspicously, and then it takes a few more generations before they become accustomed to the money and how to live with it (if there is any left by then) - then you'll find the trust funds, charitable foundations etc - and yet they are still living the lavish lifestyle their wealth allows, but not in front of the hoi polloi!

Also, when we look at the comments in the thread - it mirrors the observation that criticism is levelled against those who conspicuously spend the wealth. Had $14m been spent on a expensive wine for a small exclusive dinner party - that would be (I could argue) as stupid/obscene/irresponsible as spending 0.00000001% of his wealth on a vanity number plate.

Russian Billionaires are the current fashionable ones for people to look down their noses at - but they have quickly bought themselves into the rich societies and will quickly integrate and then will look down their noses at the next wave of Billionaires.

At the end of the day, it's nothing new - spoilt rich kids have supported many a luxury brand from the jewellery makers of Ancient Egypt to Bugatti.

When there is conspicuous consumption of disproportionate wealth, there will always be those who look from above and below and swear that the grapes are sour! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Tom Jones wrote:
Not just because you got it, it's OK to do anything with it.

Legally, yes, you can spend it anyway you want, but morally, it is not right to spend millions foolishly on something as petty as a mere piece of metal (a stupid license plate) when, instead, those millions could be spent to help the poor, the sick and the hungry.

8) 8)

Dotn worry TJ, its alla bout taste and individual class.

Give each DF member a billion dirhams, some will spend 50 million of it in cars (myself), others will spend 200 million of it in gold pens/sunglasses/basins and feel proud of doing so, something that I will never do simply because my taste is otherwise.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

There are tasteful ways to waste your billions.

Charles Saatchi has spent his on art and funding up and coming contemporary artists, much the same as Guggenheim did, the difference being he tends to keep his collection for his own appreciation rather than building interesting edifices in which to display them. Maybe he will one day?

I have met 'old monied' types who look like they struggle to rub two brass fils together in tatty old clothes and driving old bangers. A certain toothsome British entrepreneur and airline magnate of my acquaintance travels around London to meetings on the back of a motorcycle rather than take taxis or a limo. He claims only to own 5 pairs of shoes! He never has a bean in his pocket despite raising and donating over 25 million pounds a year to charities. He does own a car, its a 10 year old Range Rover but hardly ever leaves the garage.

:D :D :D

Knight
Dubai Knight

Wow cool car
thelast
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Branson and Gates came from reasonably well off homes - both have parents who are/were successful lawyers. Arguably they learnt what was the 'done thing' when it came to money?

The peculiar form of snobbery of the monied Anglo-Saxon classes is a fascinating phenomenon. I used to go game shooting when in the UK and had a small insight into this part of UK life. It's compulsory to have battered cars, wear distressed Barbour jackets etc - and still have shot guns which cost more than the average house in the UK! ;)

Interestingly, the wiki entry for 'parvenu' lists the former Shah of Iran as a parvenu - and contains a line relevant to this thread:

Several examples might include athletic and entertainment professionals born and raised in poverty and suddenly finding themselves with significantly higher sources of income due to their new-found celebrity status. The established old money factions of society often choose to exclude these individuals from their ranks, with the argument that such people are tasteless in their spending and use their wealth to flaunt their economic standing rather than practice philanthropy, maintain discretion, and otherwise acquiesce to the accepted behavior of the social class.

The Bonaparte family were considered parvenu royalty by other royal families of Europe. Napoleon III tried to marry into Swedish and German royalty, but was unsuccessful due to his status as parvenu. This was also said to be the case with the marriage of Egyptian Princess Fawzia to the future Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. One of the reasons speculated for their divorce is that Fawzia’s family, including King Farouk I, viewed the Pahlavis as parvenus. Though the Muhammad Ali Dynasty of Egypt and Sudan, to which Fawzia belonged, had humble beginnings, it had solidified its status in Egypt and the Arab World since 1805. In contrast, the Pahlavis were a far more recent dynasty, owing their position entirely to the coup d’etat of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi’s father, Reza Khan, in 1921.

Other examples may have worked their way up the ladder, originally poor immigrants to the United States. Originally immigrant workers, they would have found themselves able to take advantage of the growing opportunities in the U.S., moving on to become civil servants, “white collar” (business/office) workers and finally a member of the respectable society. Such an example might be John Jacob Astor, whose family once skinned rabbits for a living[citation needed] and went on to build such icons of New York City as the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel with his brother. Many believe this phenomenon is not as common in Europe due to the centuries-old, well-established social hierarchy of European countries, nor is it as common in present-day U.S. due to largely the same reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parvenu

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Almost everyone flaunts their wealth to a certain degree. Whether its a nice car, a nice house, an expensive holiday somewhere, donating money to charity or investing in arts... impressing other people is high on the objectives.
Although some flaunt it more than others, which seems to be the problem.
A property millionare I know got cancer, but was cured. He did the right thing and donated several million dollars to build a new wing of the hospital dedicated to cancer treatment.
The only problem I had was that he named the new wing after himself and then proceeded to put billboards up around town annoucning his donation.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

If I was rich I would put enough money back into my business or businesses to try to sustain a good income, while donating as much as possible to different charitable causes. I just can't imagine even living in a way that I would consider myself only worthy of $200 t-shirts, and $5000 handbags instead of perfectly nice $20 t-shirts and $50 handbags. I wonder what it would take to make some of these rich people decide that they can spend less on frivolity and more on helping others.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

I am with you on that one K.

I think if I were a gozillionaire, I would be like Forrest Gump. I would still shop in Karama and Satwa and drive something sensible. Admittedly it might be a little newer, but nothing ostentatious.

The idea of being idle rich really does not appeal apart from having the time to do all the things I would like to do for myself and others. I would have to work at something...or go mad. Not that I am sane now...

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: The Spoiled Emiratis In London. Have A Look!!! Jul 29, 2010
shafique wrote:TJ - I'm with you when it comes to the morality and responsibility of spending money.

However, the actions of those who are filthy rich is nothing new. Throughout history when wealth is accumulated disproportionately, the inheritors of that wealth - especially the first few generations - give themselves over to conspicuous spending and follies - rare is the nouveau rich in history who does not buy the bling of their time.

History shows that the older monied classes, throughout the years, look down on the nouveau rich and forget that their forebears also blinged out - only over time the money runs out, or the cost of servicing the mansions, stately homes, castles, empires means that they don't have the wealth of the newcomers and they hide behind a snobbishness about how 'vulgar' the new guys are.

Interestingly, in societies where there isn't this great disparity between the richest and the poorest - take Ancient Sparta as an example - you don't get this issue -rather society as a whole rises and falls. Athenians got relatively more rich than other city states - and they blinged out on statues, temples, marathons, orgies etc etc. I'm sure there were the 'tut tuts' going on by those who thought this vulgar.

Philanthropists like Gates etc aren't new. In modern times you have guys who blinged out and also spent on charities - from Rockefeller, Carnegie etc. You have others who are more austere - such as the Rowntrees and the Buffets.

What you find is that those making the money doing actual work, don't have the inclination or time to do too much of the conspicuous bling. It is the next generation that gets the wealth without sweat that splurges out conspicously, and then it takes a few more generations before they become accustomed to the money and how to live with it (if there is any left by then) - then you'll find the trust funds, charitable foundations etc - and yet they are still living the lavish lifestyle their wealth allows, but not in front of the hoi polloi!

Also, when we look at the comments in the thread - it mirrors the observation that criticism is levelled against those who conspicuously spend the wealth. Had $14m been spent on a expensive wine for a small exclusive dinner party - that would be (I could argue) as stupid/obscene/irresponsible as spending 0.00000001% of his wealth on a vanity number plate.

Russian Billionaires are the current fashionable ones for people to look down their noses at - but they have quickly bought themselves into the rich societies and will quickly integrate and then will look down their noses at the next wave of Billionaires.

At the end of the day, it's nothing new - spoilt rich kids have supported many a luxury brand from the jewellery makers of Ancient Egypt to Bugatti.

When there is conspicuous consumption of disproportionate wealth, there will always be those who look from above and below and swear that the grapes are sour! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique

Shafique,

You present a good argument esp. about the nouveau rich and the young generation who don't know the value of money, because it was handed to them on a silver platter.

However, I do not agree with your last statement regarding the sour grapes.

I am not jealous of those who spend their money foolishly and extravagantly. Not at all. I could care less how easily they got their money, but I object to the millions they spend on trivial and insignificant things, just for vanity. I think that's morally wrong and obscene knowing there are thousands, if not millions, of suffering children and adults all over the world who could be saved and helped with that money.

Cheers!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:
You present a good argument esp. about the nouveau rich and the young generation who don't know the value of money, because it was handed to them on a silver platter.

I am not jealous of those who spend their money foolishly and extravagantly. Not at all. I could care less how easily they got their money, but I object to the millions they spend on trivial and insignificant things, just for vanity. I think that's morally wrong and obscene knowing there are thousands, if not millions, of suffering children and adults all over the world who could be saved and helped with that money.

Cheers!

8) 8)

Enough with this argument already!!! The poor don't want charity, they want Trade!
And in capitalistic societies the more people spend the smoother the wheels turn, the smoother the wheels turn, the less stay poor.

I'm not denying everyone ought to do a bit of charity, but beyond that, live and let live! If I've made a billion bucks fair and square, why should I unduly burden myself with poverty elsewhere?
Off-course obscene shows of wealth and grandeur are tasteless but this "guilt trip" mongering by the 'virtuous' is simply retarded!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Misery Called Life wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:

Cheers!

8) 8)

Enough with this argument already!!! The poor don't want charity, they want Trade!
And in capitalistic societies the more people spend the smoother the wheels turn, the smoother the wheels turn, the less stay poor.

I'm not denying everyone ought to do a bit of charity, but beyond that, live and let live! If I've made a billion bucks fair and square, why should I unduly burden myself with poverty elsewhere?
Off-course obscene shows of wealth and grandeur are tasteless but this "guilt trip" mongering by the 'virtuous' is simply retarded!

What's this world coming to?????

Now caring for your fellow misfortune human beings is considered retarded!!!

How sad!!!!!!

:shock: :shock:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat