Ramadan Tents?

Topic locked
Ramadan Tents? Sep 18, 2006
Can someone(s) explain the "Ramadan Tent". What happens in there? Who can go in? etc.

p.s. for the wiseguys: I know what a "tent" is :wink:

Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
Its just a term because thats how they started back in the day .. now its more like "Ramadan posh lobbies in 5 star restuarants" .. Its basically temporary setups by most restuarants/hotels in the city that are set especially for ramadan and serve snacks, sweets, shisha and you can play card games/backgammon and so on .. they sometimes also feature a live band .. they start from around 8pm i would say and go on till early hours of the morning ..
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
wot about those tents on the side of jumeriah road?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
rudeboy wrote:wot about those tents on the side of jumeriah road?

private tents, some people like to set up tents for themselves and invite their friends over to play some cards ;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
i dont think they are private as in anyone can go cos i remember last time i wanted to end my fast and instead of going home cos it was too late i stopped there and had a feast :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
rudeboy wrote:i dont think they are private as in anyone can go cos i remember last time i wanted to end my fast and instead of going home cos it was too late i stopped there and had a feast :D

i gotta try that too.....;)
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006

You will also find a lot of tents set up in order to give food out to people of lower income at iftar.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: Ramadan Tents? Sep 19, 2006
Concord wrote:Can someone(s) explain the "Ramadan Tent". What happens in there? Who can go in? etc.

concord..
how r u man ..still waiting for u buddy ..
anyway ramadan tent is a place where u can set down with ur family and friends and enjoy ur time with them .if u wana go to a nice place check SHANGRILLA HOTLE nice food and good services..well im waiting for u ..so take care fo now
naruto
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Ramadan Tents? Sep 19, 2006
naruto wrote:
Concord wrote:Can someone(s) explain the "Ramadan Tent". What happens in there? Who can go in? etc.

concord..
how r u man ..still waiting for u buddy ..
anyway ramadan tent is a place where u can set down with ur family and friends and enjoy ur time with them .if u wana go to a nice place check SHANGRILLA HOTLE nice food and good services..well im waiting for u ..so take care fo now

Hey Naruto,

I'm doing ok thanks for asking. Good to see you are back posting.

I pmed you...
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
bleakus,

are you going to have your own tent? would like to come and visit you :)

cheers

J
Jeevan
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
Jeevan wrote:bleakus,

are you going to have your own tent? would like to come and visit you :)

cheers

J

i would love to set up one but i just got a new job and its taking alot of my time, if i do youll be the first to know, otherwise i check with my friends if they have one
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
so could we have a DF meet at a ramadan tent????
rahul in dxb
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2006
y not have a tent by the DF for the DF people and the public who can find out more about DF and mingle with members from DF?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
I dunno how its here.. but i think world wide, anyone can go to any of the tents.. coz its the month of ramadan no body will restrict anyone from going and ending a days fast or even just stoping by to visit the place to see if there's someone whom u know. I've always attended iftar, and its a great way of showing equality and peace. There would be no differences on income groups or religions.. we r all red inside..
St.Lucifer
Dubai Forums Knight

Sep 19, 2006
rudeboy wrote:y not have a tent by the DF for the DF people and the public who can find out more about DF and mingle with members from DF?

i think thats a great idea
Bleakus
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
sage & onion wrote:

You will also find a lot of tents set up in order to give food out to people of lower income at iftar.

the Ramadan tents you see around town are an "open invitation" to anyone who would like to attend. as sage says they are normally set up to give out food at iftar to the less fortunate, but also the "master of the house" will sit in the tent and hold audiance with anyone who wishes to discuss anything with him.

in days of old the various sheikhs and community leaders would set up tents during ramadan - it used to also be a sort of "open door" for any member of the population to drop in and discuss issues with them.

the dubai municipality used to also erect tents along the beachs for people to use and stay in over night during Ramadan an Eid - not sure if they still do this though.
dbxsoul
Honored Member

Sep 19, 2006
dbxsoul wrote:
sage & onion wrote:

the Ramadan tents you see around town are an "open invitation" to anyone who would like to attend. as sage says they are normally set up to give out food at iftar to the less fortunate, but also the "master of the house" will sit in the tent and hold audiance with anyone who wishes to discuss anything with him.

in days of old the various sheikhs and community leaders would set up tents during ramadan - it used to also be a sort of "open door" for any member of the population to drop in and discuss issues with them.

the dubai municipality used to also erect tents along the beachs for people to use and stay in over night during Ramadan an Eid - not sure if they still do this though.

As I said in anothe post "I will give a try to fasting". Today I had a "test run" and was starving by 10 a.m.

Anyways, could I just walk in into any tent or would it be intimidating becuase I am not muslim (perhaps it "should" not be obvious as I suppose muslims exist in different races etc. but...). Any "guidance"... "When in Rome..."
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
Concord absolutely you can walk into any tent and even if you are not a muslim its not intimdating. If you want we can organiza a "tent crashing" on one of those days ;)

Also dbxsoul the shiekhs still recieve people every night of Ramadan and Eid.
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Concord absolutely you can walk into any tent and even if you are not a muslim its not intimdating. If you want we can organiza a "tent crashing" on one of those days ;)

Defenetily up for it. Respectfully of course.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
MaaaD wrote:Concord absolutely you can walk into any tent and even if you are not a muslim its not intimdating. If you want we can organiza a "tent crashing" on one of those days ;)

count me in on that one too Maad

:wink:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 19, 2006
My only condition on doing that is that you guys need to fast that day ;)
MaaaD
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
arniegang wrote:

count me in on that one too Maad

:wink:

Count in the UK?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Sep 19, 2006
i will let you know as soon as i know mate

:wink: :wink:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Sep 19, 2006
arniegang wrote:i will let you know as soon as i know mate