PETA Campaigns Against ME Livestock Abuse

Topic locked
PETA Campaigns against ME livestock abuse May 09, 2006
This is horrific! Meat should be transported on the hook, not on the hoof. And people working in slaughter houses who carry out this cruetly are scum!
-----------------------------------------------

Radical animal-rights group PETA is campaigning to ban imports of Australian livestock to the Middle East alleging that animals suffer a long, tortuous journey on their way to the region, and then abusive treatment in slaughterhouses in some countries.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, which is known for its aggressive stunts against celebrities who wear fur, yesterday presented footage, said to be shot in abattoirs in Egypt and Oman, where cattle and sheep were stabbed in the eye, kicked in the face and slaughtered in full view of each other.

The cows’ leg tendons were slashed to force them to collapse before butchers hacked them to death with jagged knives. PETA did not name the UAE in their accusations.

“The very idea of ‘Halal’ is to ensure against such cruelty but practices in abattoirs in Islamic countries such as Egypt flies in the face of Quran’s teaching,” said PETA’s representative Andrew Butler.

The head of abattoirs at Dubai Municipality said PETA’s claims do not hold true in the UAE’s slaughterhouses.

“We have advanced facilities to prevent animals from seeing the slaughter. We also employ trained butchers who kill swiftly and kicking, beating, or mutilation of animals is simply not allowed,” Ahmed Al Shammari said.

Butler admitted PETA has not visited any slaughter-houses in the UAE, but was cynical about Al Shammari’s comments saying “I would take that with a very large dose of salt because we heard similar claims from others.”

Al Shammari responded by inviting PETA to visit Dubai’s three abattoirs to observe conditions and slaughter methods for themselves.

PETA, which is known for gory advertising campaigns and shock tactics, may be forced to tone down its tactics here if they launch a public awareness campaign here.

“We prepared two print and billboard ads but we’re not sure which is going to be allowed by the censors,” Butler admitted.

PETA is encouraging consumers to buy frozen meat slaughtered in 120 Islamic abattoirs in Australia to spare 1.2 million sheep the three-week journey cramped on multi-storey ships where thousands die of disease and starvation.

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Re: PETA Campaigns against ME livestock abuse May 09, 2006
What happened to happy cows grazing in the sun ?? :cry: :cry: I only buy organic food too.
Al7Isra
Dubai Forums Member

May 09, 2006
What's stopping them from targeting the source (exports), as oppose to the destination (imports)?
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2006
Chocoholic wrote:Yes they should also target the exporters. As I said at the top of the original post, meat should be exported on the hook i.e. slaughtered in the country of origin, not transported alive.

Yeah, saw what u wrote chocco babe, just saying the article makes no mention of Peta's attempts towards the exporters - who, imho are also to blame for corporate greed and indirectly promoting animal cruelty.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2006
X, I'm sure they will address the fact in time. But the sad fact is it's cheaper and more efficient to transport live animals than to slaughter them in the country of origin and transport the frozen meat. Which bearing in mind where some of it comes from, can take weeks via sea travel. Plus to have refrigeration storage is just not viable for many companies.

But the bottom line is even if animals are reared for slaughter they should stillb e treated with kind of decency.

Plus in my mind if people can mis-treat and be violent and vicious towards a defenceless animal - what would they do to a person given the opportunity. There's something not right with a person if they get satisfaction from causing deliperate pain and suffering to a living creature. That's why I have a real problem with people sometimes. Call me over sensitive, but I just don't get people like this.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 09, 2006
Agreed Choco, in time they will address, but in the mean time animals still get treated the same way cause addressing the problem at the leaves (destination) still leaves the root in tact.

I think its a sad fact but like they say, people come from all walks of life, ideals, beliefs, views and understanding are going to vary from one person to the next just put it down to the 'spices of life'.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2006
Sensationalism obviously works!

By making things so high profile, everyone gets emotional and it prevents the establishment of compassioned, impartial dialect.

Personally I love good quality meat, and am prepared to pay extra for the privilege (not right), but that does not justify mistreatment of animals. They were put on this Earth by a greater good to provide us with sustenance and we should not abuse that fact!
stuchil
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

May 09, 2006
No worries Choco, just starve the troll. ;)

If I could be in charge I would make a law that meat can be sold in stores as long as it is produced locally (and ethically). The only exception to the local rule would be meat that has been transported frozen. This still isn't a perfect solution, but local meat would mean no long journeys for the animals. If there is less meat available and less selection of meats available from country to country - tough. Live with it and eat more fruit and vegetables etc. Ideally, people should be eating less meat - preferably no meat at all.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2006
I agree with you K, I'm seriously looking at going back to being a veggie. I really only eat fish and a bit of chicken here and there anyway. I can't stomach red meat it just makes me ill.

Also there's really no reason to export animals at all, you could just breed them in each country.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 09, 2006
You should try it again Choco. Some people's bodies can't handle being completely vegetarian or vegan, but I think that is a small number of people. If you feel good on a vegetarian diet, go for it!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2006
Choco, I get the same prob, probably cause its ages between times I've eaten red meat so my body tends to reject it.

K, I remember I used to feel my healthiest when I was veggie only. Considered going back to it, but its harder with my lifestyle here to be completely meat free.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2006
Well, I tend to substitute tofu where I would have used meat. For example, yesterday I made Thai green curry, spinach, and coconut milk sauce with tofu cubes simmered in, and ate that over brown basmati rice. Also, Spinney's sells Yves Ground Round, which looks like a packet of cooked ground beef, but it is really seasoned and marinated soya protein. I put that into spagetti sauce and it is really delicious! Yum! Outside of that, I am addicted to dhaal and hoummous, which you can buy premade from the grocery store - then eat with rice or flat bread. You can also make it yourself and store the excess in the freezer.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2006
Yes, if and when I have time to cook I do like to spoil myself. When I first came here I did a lot of home cooking but nowadays I predominantly eat out and having carnivorous friends doesn't really help the cause.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2006
Yeah, that's true. Eating out can be difficult. Eating salads can get boring because that is often the only option at some restaurants. Sometimes give in and eat seafood if there isn't anything vegetarian available.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2006
And .....some people even enjoy Salad and Lobster with a soup on the side

dont they K ?

:wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 09, 2006
Yep :) :lol:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2006
ya piggy, you even scoffed more than me

:lol: :lol: :lol:
arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 09, 2006
kanelli wrote:Yeah, that's true. Eating out can be difficult. Eating salads can get boring because that is often the only option at some restaurants. Sometimes give in and eat seafood if there isn't anything vegetarian available.

There's only so much garden salad a man can take :lol:
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2006
I'm bigger than you arnie :D
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2006
Who the hell edited my posts?
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 09, 2006
A moderator moved the fighting into Fight Club.
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

May 09, 2006
kanelli wrote:A moderator moved the fighting into Fight Club.

Yup! See them there. :D
Liban
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 15, 2006
After PETA's report and protests, Australia has now suspended live exports to Egypt.

So you see, direct action and speaking up about things does work!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 15, 2006
Right at source, good stuff.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat