Another Sad Episode Of Workers’ Abuse In The UAE!!

Topic locked
Another Sad Episode of Workers’ Abuse in the UAE!! Oct 23, 2010
The government needs to really get tougher with such employers who continue abusing their poor workers!!

It’s just happening too often!!!

8) 8)

Sorry, here is the story from GN:

http://gulfnews.com/gntv/news/cleaners-plight-1.686192

8) 8)

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Another Sad Episode Of Workers’ Abuse In The UAE!! Oct 23, 2010
I think your post is missing something :D
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Another Sad Episode Of Workers’ Abuse In The UAE!! Oct 24, 2010
desertdudeshj wrote:I think your post is missing something :D

You are right buddy!! Sorry about that!!

I got a phone call when I was just about to submit the post, and I forgot to add the link to the story. Here it is:

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Re: Another Sad Episode of Workers’ Abuse in the UAE!! Oct 25, 2010
i guess thats what you get with cheap labour policy but than again there are people out there who are so desperate that they are willing to work for peanuts!
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

And when you ay peanuts, what do you get?
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Tom Jones wrote:The government needs to really get tougher with such employers who continue abusing their poor workers!!

8) 8)

8) 8)

shouldn't the subject be " foreigners exploiting other foreginers in the UAE " ? :wink:

you want the government to be tougher on those "investors" ? wouldn't you be crying all over DF about tougher rules and start screaming : double standers double standers .. no freedom for investors. UAE will loose its reputations :lol:

on a serious note I believe there should be some rules for those forgine investors to get a clearance from the labor office of their employees salaries to present at the airport before leaving the country, especially if they won a business.
uaekid

Well there is always a local sponsor at the top of the pile.

Ultimately, responsibility lies at his door as its his name on the trade license and on the visa applications.

Poor girls. I suppose the UAE law is, now that they have no residency visas, they will have to leave (which they can't) pay a fine (which they can't) or go to jail (which they would probably welcome as it would be better than the conditions they are living in now!)

:( :( :(

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:Well there is always a local sponsor at the top of the pile.

Ultimately, responsibility lies at his door as its his name on the trade license and on the visa applications.

Poor girls. I suppose the UAE law is, now that they have no residency visas, they will have to leave (which they can't) pay a fine (which they can't) or go to jail (which they would probably welcome as it would be better than the conditions they are living in now!)

Knight

so when they end up in jail, does the government/police have to pay for their breakfast, lunch and dinner??? what about medical fees if there is a medical emergency or something, what happens then??
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

I believe they do.

Better to get arrested then!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Knight

but aren't you looking the other way now Dubai night ? locals wont leave the country on first sign of trouble .that's what many foreigners bosses do here ,leave their employees behind dubainight, you know that better than me I guess. lets say the local is the name on the paper but who caused all this in the first place ? The gov is also guilty by it self when it let scum bags do businesses here uncontrolled and damage its reputation .. and you wonder why we force them to hand over their passports, it's bcz of this disaster they do and run away from their obligations, including salaries banks payment ...........
uaekid

lol

so lets imagine in the UAE there are i dont know 10,000 expats like these girls locked up in jail. And each of them get breakfast, lunch and dinner which cost 10dhs each.

so thats 10,000 x 10 = 100,000dhs!

i guess these guys are in jail for a month? or maybe more right? or even less?

so lets make it 15 days thats 100,000dhs x 15 = 1500000.00 dhs is what it costs to keep these guys in their jails!! Is that right??
MotionComputing
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Re: Another Sad Episode of Workers’ Abuse in the UAE!! Oct 26, 2010
uaekid wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:The government needs to really get tougher with such employers who continue abusing their poor workers!!

8) 8)

8) 8)

shouldn't the subject be " foreigners exploiting other foreginers in the UAE " ? :wink:

you want the government to be tougher on those "investors" ? wouldn't you be crying all over DF about tougher rules and start screaming : double standers double standers .. no freedom for investors. UAE will loose its reputations :lol:

on a serious note I believe there should be some rules for those forgine investors to get a clearance from the labor office of their employees salaries to present at the airport before leaving the country, especially if they won a business.

Kid,

It is still the government's responsibility to protect the rights of all people working on its soil, whether they are employed by locals or by foreign investors!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Tom Jones wrote:
uaekid wrote:

8) 8)

8) 8)

Kid,

It is still the government's responsibility to protect the rights of all people working on its soil, whether they are employed by locals or by foreign investors!!!

8) 8)

fare enough even though its foreigners bosses who are mostly the one treating those labors like this or leaving them behind unpaid .. but since it is you who posted this thread, lets put some constructive criticism on the board, what do you think are good examples of "tougher rules"
uaekid

Re: Another Sad Episode Of Workers’ Abuse In The UAE!! Oct 26, 2010
Not tougher, but better

For starters get rid of draconian sponsorship laws.
desertdudeshj

uaekid wrote:

Knight

but aren't you looking the other way now Dubai night ? locals wont leave the country on first sign of trouble .that's what many foreigners bosses do here ,leave their employees behind dubainight, you know that better than me I guess. lets say the local is the name on the paper but who caused all this in the first place ? The gov is also guilty by it self when it let scum bags do businesses here uncontrolled and damage its reputation .. and you wonder why we force them to hand over their passports, it's bcz of this disaster they do and run away from their obligations, including salaries banks payment ...........

But Kid...those scum bags are doing business that is 51% owned by a local...by UAE law.
So he either takes his 51% responsibility and manages his company and looks after his employees or he is just taking graft and doesn't care. In which case the law should dump on him from a great height and make him clear up the crap he has allowed to be created.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Kid,

You're asking me to give good exmples on how the government can be be more effective in preventing these abuses???

I understand now!!!

The reason why these abuses are occuring because the government doesn't know what to do!!!!

Sorry kid, but you can come up with a better reason!!!!!!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

I don't know the full company setup in this case, but it's a little unfair to say that responsibility lies with the local sponsor - maybe in this case it does, but in most cases, the sponsor is "silent" or "sleeping", at the behest of the 49% "real" owner. They (the 49%ers), pay the local their fee, and make sure that they have no rights to dictate how the business is run. In effect, they are just buying a local signature for their visa applications, trade licence, etc. It's the people actually running the businesses that are to blame. They can see financial difficulty approaching for months and months, and either bury their head in the sand until it's too late, and then do a runner, or cream out as much cash as they can, and then do a runner.

Unless the local is a hands on partner in the business, they shouldn't be held responsible. A lot of these sponsors are paid a fee around AED 20k per year to just sign when asked. Ok, some others charge a 2% fee on turnover, but that is more than likely the big companies, multi nationals. Things like cleaning firms are probably in the former category.

Would you accept that kind of responsibility for 25k a year? I know i wouldn't.....
BlueOrb
Dubai forums Addict

BlueOrb wrote:I don't know the full company setup in this case, but it's a little unfair to say that responsibility lies with the local sponsor - maybe in this case it does, but in most cases, the sponsor is "silent" or "sleeping", at the behest of the 49% "real" owner. They (the 49%ers), pay the local their fee, and make sure that they have no rights to dictate how the business is run. In effect, they are just buying a local signature for their visa applications, trade licence, etc. It's the people actually running the businesses that are to blame. They can see financial difficulty approaching for months and months, and either bury their head in the sand until it's too late, and then do a runner, or cream out as much cash as they can, and then do a runner.

Unless the local is a hands on partner in the business, they shouldn't be held responsible. A lot of these sponsors are paid a fee around AED 20k per year to just sign when asked. Ok, some others charge a 2% fee on turnover, but that is more than likely the big companies, multi nationals. Things like cleaning firms are probably in the former category.

Would you accept that kind of responsibility for 25k a year? I know i wouldn't.....

I don't think you get what DK was trying to say, technically and legally he is the majority stakeholder and responsible for its problems and liabilities.

The whole 51% law is absurd and just another welfare system only in this its paid by the foreign population. if the guy so eager for his dole then he should also be ready to stand up to his part when a problem arises.

In this case he is 51% legally liable and responsible for everything.
desertdudeshj

Precisely!

The UAE law on company ownership is pretty black and white on this: The major shareholder is responsible no matter what, as any 'side deals' regarding participation or involvement are not recognised or even admissable. They used even to be illegal. Whoever's name is on the Trade License...is where the buck stops.

This does give the authorities the ability to bring bad employers to task as they become blacklisted if they transgress the laws. This can affect all their business interests. Obaid Al Boom is a good example.

This being said, there is a lot of manipulation of the system through family and friend links by those in the position to do so and 'wasta' is a powerful business tool.

The problem is there are hundreds, nay thousands, of locals out there with their names on multiple trade licenses where they just turn up and take their fee every year and don't give a damn about the business or its ethics or what it does as long as he can buy a new Lexus or Mercedes every year.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Dubai Knight wrote:Precisely!

The UAE law on company ownership is pretty black and white on this: The major shareholder is responsible no matter what, as any 'side deals' regarding participation or involvement are not recognised or even admissable. They used even to be illegal. Whoever's name is on the Trade License...is where the buck stops.

This does give the authorities the ability to bring bad employers to task as they become blacklisted if they transgress the laws. This can affect all their business interests. Obaid Al Boom is a good example.

This being said, there is a lot of manipulation of the system through family and friend links by those in the position to do so and 'wasta' is a powerful business tool.

The problem is there are hundreds, nay thousands, of locals out there with their names on multiple trade licenses where they just turn up and take their fee every year and don't give a damn about the business or its ethics or what it does as long as he can buy a new Lexus or Mercedes every year.

Knight

legally yes but ethically its mostly foreigner bosses is all to blame, lets face reality here dubaikinght and not stick our head in the sand as you always say. I thought its all about principals to you !!
uaekid

How convenient. I guess "ethics" apply to westerners. Give me a break Kid.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

uaekid wrote:
Dubai Knight wrote:Precisely!

Knight

legally yes but ethically its mostly foreigner bosses is all to blame, lets face reality here dubaikinght and not stick our head in the sand as you always say. I thought its all about principals to you !!

So if the appointed 'foreigner' is ethically corrupt, who is to blame? The foreigner, or the person who gave him the license to operate? Its a question of responsibility, something that is severely lacking in the UAE. If you are the one who provides the license then you must accept the responsibility and either control the actions of your appointed agent or suffer the consequences of inaction.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Knight
Dubai Knight

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat