Indians With Fake English Accents

Topic locked
Indians with fake English accents Feb 26, 2009

Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 26, 2009
lol are we talking about fake bvitish or canadian accent?
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 27, 2009
Or Philippinos with fake English names?!

Was told that many have Tagalog names which are fairly unpronounceable so adopt English names in Dubai, not realising that some of the names are wayyyy out of date: Edith, Dot, Pearl, Ivy, Ethel
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 27, 2009
Or Philippinos with fake English names?!

Was told that many have Tagalog names which are fairly unpronounceable so adopt English names in Dubai, not realising that some of the names are wayyyy out of date: Edith, Dot, Pearl, Ivy, Ethel
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 27, 2009
mmm....you actually know someone called "Dot" ?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 27, 2009
I know someone his name is DUTY :roll:
quatroporte
Dubai chat master

Feb 27, 2009
is his last name FREE?

Sorry bad joke :(
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 27, 2009
Wednesday Jones wrote:Or Philippinos with fake English names?!

Haha! "Fake" english names? lol. No. Believe it or not, that's their real names. They don't have a local name and then an english name like for example the chinese.
yujinn
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 27, 2009
A woman in our company, who thinks she's really something, is getting on my nerves with her plummy accent. I might have to pull her up about it one day.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Feb 27, 2009
I hate people who Fake British Accents.

Just be proud of where you are from goddamnit!
dresden
Dubai chat master

Feb 27, 2009
Del wrote:A woman in our company, who thinks she's really something, is getting on my nerves with her plummy accent. I might have to pull her up about it one day.

is she indian :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Feb 27, 2009

Hey, I'm a Filipino.
And I can say that you probably don't know what you are talking about.
There's no such thing as Tagalog name. We are part of the open world where we can choose any name we want for our children.

Okay let's say those are their names, probably names of people you knew.

So what!? Does your name make you better than the rest of the world who have outdated names?
skipperman
Dubai Forum User

Feb 28, 2009
skipperman wrote:

Hey, I'm a Filipino.
And I can say that you probably don't know what you are talking about.
There's no such thing as Tagalog name. We are part of the open world where we can choose any name we want for our children.

Okay let's say those are their names, probably names of people you knew.

So what!? Does your name make you better than the rest of the world who have outdated names?

Hey, not being Philippino, what would I know??? Of course.

Perhaps just the labour cards that the Philippinas have shown me as part of my job. Names are different on their name badges. Simple.

No need to be so sensitive.
Wednesday Jones
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Feb 28, 2009
Wednesday Jones wrote:Hey, not being Philippino, what would I know??? Of course.

Exactly...
skipperman
Dubai Forum User

Feb 28, 2009
Who doesnt have a fake accent?

Indians?
Locals?
other arabs?
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 28, 2009
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.
-Romeo & Juliet
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

Feb 28, 2009
dresden wrote:I hate people who Fake British Accents.

Just be proud of where you are from goddamnit!

I have a feeling you will hate them anyways :idea:
DoubleDigit
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2009
I don't really care of any accent, fake or not, it's the credentials they put in their CV that I find despicable!
DDS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Faked British accent? Mar 02, 2009
First of all there's no such thing as a British accent, faked or not, since that's the original language. Technically all other non British people will have some sort of accent. Another thing: If I am not a native speaker I will have the accent according to whom I learned English from.
The more you learn more accurate your English shall be and you will sound more and more like a native speaker. That's the idea.
Nothing to do with not being proud where you come from, by the way.
cosmodrift
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 02, 2009
skipperman wrote:
Wednesday Jones wrote:Hey, not being Philippino, what would I know??? Of course.

Exactly...

Your real name isn't DOT is it?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Re: Faked British accent? Mar 02, 2009
cosmodrift wrote:First of all there's no such thing as a British accent, faked or not, since that's the original language. Technically all other non British people will have some sort of accent. Another thing: If I am not a native speaker I will have the accent according to whom I learned English from.
The more you learn more accurate your English shall be and you will sound more and more like a native speaker. That's the idea.

I don't know what you're on about mate. Every British person I grew up with in Britain had a British accent. And that includes British Indians.

I'm talking about an obviously fake, put-on accent, like an American actor with dreadlocks trying to sound like a Jamaican Rasta in a film. Laughable.

How can someone who has never been to Britain sound like they grew up in Berkshire or Surrey?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Faked British accent? Mar 02, 2009
cosmodrift wrote:First of all there's no such thing as a British accent, faked or not, since that's the original language. Technically all other non British people will have some sort of accent. Another thing: If I am not a native speaker I will have the accent according to whom I learned English from.

As far as I know, when people started speaking English they didn't exactly speak the way they do now. So yeah there are British accents. Actually there are different British accents too.
MC
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2009
some do fake the accent. funny thing is, a small thing like this can say so much about a person.
raidah
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Mar 03, 2009
skipperman wrote:

Exactly...

"Being ignorant of other cultures & practices is not an excuse in this world where information resources doesn't cost a penny."

There is no such thing as Filipinos with fake English name. By the glory of whoever, forgive me for not being able to choose my name. It so happened it sounds like a "fake English" name. Holy cow.

And for the name that differs than that of the badge....have you ever heard of something called "nickname"? Maybe that's the case. Maybe "Dot" is a short name (or the so-called nickname) of Dorothy.
farthestpoint
Dubai forums Addict

Mar 03, 2009
Yes, I agree there are many variants even for the original British language. But I also believe someone has the right to choose the way he or she will sound like, the same way they have the right to choose their names or nicknames.
cosmodrift
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 03, 2009
cosmodrift wrote:Yes, I agree there are many variants even for the original British language. But I also believe someone has the right to choose the way he or she will sound like, the same way they have the right to choose their names or nicknames.

I'm not questioning her right to adopt a fake British accent...
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 03, 2009
raidah wrote:some do fake the accent. funny thing is, a small thing like this can say so much about a person.

Well said. They're FAKE.

She slept with my (British) boss and claims to have an Indian boyfriend. Who is she faking it with?
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

Mar 03, 2009
I don't know. It just affects me in a different way. If I see an Indian, Chinese, Japanese, or anybody, speaking a flawless English I admire it. It's just natural. You asked how someone can speak just like natives when they never been there. Well nowadays, with all this media available everywhere? Are you serious?
All British English courses provide endless material and if you really wanna learn it correctly watching the BBC certainly will help.
According to your line of thoughts all Japanese should always swap "R" and "L" and add the "O" after every word otherwise we should second guess their intentions and personality. Come on.
This post is about prejudice, labelling and discrimination.
cosmodrift
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Mar 03, 2009
farthestpoint wrote:
skipperman wrote:

Exactly...

"Being ignorant of other cultures & practices is not an excuse in this world where information resources doesn't cost a penny."

There is no such thing as Filipinos with fake English name. By the glory of whoever, forgive me for not being able to choose my name. It so happened it sounds like a "fake English" name. Holy cow.

And for the name that differs than that of the badge....have you ever heard of something called "nickname"? Maybe that's the case. Maybe "Dot" is a short name (or the so-called nickname) of Dorothy.

Couldn't agree more...
skipperman
Dubai Forum User

Mar 03, 2009
cosmodrift wrote:I don't know. It just affects me in a different way. If I see an Indian, Chinese, Japanese, or anybody, speaking a flawless English I admire it.

Flawless English is not what I'm on about.

cosmodrift wrote:It's just natural.

Maybe.

cosmodrift wrote:You asked how someone can speak just like natives when they never been there. Well nowadays, with all this media available everywhere? Are you serious?

I didn't say speak like natives, I said fake.

cosmodrift wrote:All British English courses provide endless material and if you really wanna learn it correctly watching the BBC certainly will help.

You're missing my point.

cosmodrift wrote:According to your line of thoughts all Japanese should always swap "R" and "L" and add the "O" after every word otherwise we should second guess their intentions and personality. Come on.

Where did I imply that?

cosmodrift wrote:This post is about prejudice, labelling and discrimination.

No it's not, it's about Indians with fake British accents.
Del
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat