First British Asian Popstar

Topic locked
First British Asian Popstar Jan 29, 2011
I was enjoying an iconic performance of a major pop/rock star who also happens to be an Asian immigrant (of Indian heritage, as some would say) - when it occurred to me that some may not be aware that he was an Asian immigrant. His parents were from Gujarat, India and their ancient ancestors were from Iran. He was born in Africa, and studied in Bombay before coming to the UK.

See if you can guess who is is:

(He's no.2 in the picture)

Here's the iconic performance I was referring to.. ;)

Enjoy!

http://mr-mercury.co.uk/Sunday_Times_Nov_96.htm

Cheers,
Shafique

shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: First British Asian Popstar Jan 29, 2011
Freddie Mercury
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Oh ! you already gave the answer
desertdudeshj

hes an ABCD :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

OH man , when I read popstar , I was expecting some babe, turned out to be a guy , blekh !
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Well, he wasn't born in America so can't really be an ABCD! :roll:

However, he did change his name from Farrokh Bulsara and did downplay his origins.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I had to look up ABCD.

Good to see that you are contributing to the gay themed month Shaf.
benwj
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

^It was either this or commenting on the Ugandan activist killed this week and at whose funeral a pastor made a scene. :shock:

Freddy made better music than the 'eat da poo poo' vids. ;)

(BTW - wasn't his se.xual preference once called the English disease? Given that he passed away from Aids, I won't make a joke of this.)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

benwj wrote:I had to look up ABCD.

Good to see that you are contributing to the gay themed month Shaf.

LOL you :joker:

Had to look up ABCD as well. Never heard of it. Learn something new every day. Now I need to know is it derogatory? Before you know it when I go back to the states I'll need a list of what I can say as opposed what I can't!!!!
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

^Don't tell anyone - but I had to look it up too!

:)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

shafique wrote:(BTW - wasn't his se.xual preference once called the English disease? Given that he passed away from Aids, I won't make a joke of this.)

Cheers,
Shafique

I thought you were referring to AIDs. He passed away during a time when it was believed that this disease was intended to kill off the gay community.
benwj

^Yeah, I realised that as soon as I posted it - hence the quick edit.

AIDs has devastated sub-saharan Africa - it is a demographic time bomb with up to 1 in 4 HIV positive in some countries. Not a disease to joke about.

But back to the late great Freddy - I have to admit that when I was first told he was 'Indian', I didn't believe it - even though I knew he had been born in Zanzibar.

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Well when you have presidents there who think that they can just have a shower afterwards to wash the germs off what do you expect.
benwj

shafique wrote:^It was either this or commenting on the Ugandan activist killed this week and at whose funeral a pastor made a scene. :shock:
Freddy made better music than the 'eat da poo poo' vids. ;)
(BTW - wasn't his se.xual preference once called the English disease? Given that he passed away from Aids, I won't make a joke of this.)
Cheers,
Shafique

Syphallis, originally known as the French Disease in the 16th Century became known in the 17th Century as the English disease and more recently, Football Hooliganism is widely spoken of as an English disease, but Homosexuality and/or Aids are new ones to me. Urban myth repeatedly tells us that Aids mutated from the animal kingdom in Africa into the endemic population there but I’m not too sure this has been proven.

And I’m not too sure about your first British Asian pop star Shaf, Engelbert Humperdinck (Real name Gerry Dorsey)was born in Madras, India,to Parents serving in the British Army, not too sure of his parents heritage though, his first pop songs hit the charts in 1966 and he’s still going strong today enjoying a succesful career in the USA.

He was in fact the first to sport the huge Lamb Chop sideburns and all-in-one leather suit that Elvis adopted and became well known for.

benwj wrote:Well when you have presidents there who think that they can just have a shower afterwards to wash the germs off what do you expect.

And the infected population 'pass on' the disease through further procreation like a game of tag!

:shock:
Dillon

The "English disease", by which continental Europeans mean gay attachments between men.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/English
(But interestingly, amongst Arabs the term is used for syphyillis)

As for Englebert..
I didn't count Cliff Richard as a British Asian just because he was born in India (nor Spike Milligan or Joanna Lumley for that matter). If you consider them British Asians on a par with Farrokh Bulsara then we perhaps have a definition problem. (Englebert's parents were British, from what I can see - but if not, I'm happy to correct the title of this thread to 2nd British Asian popstar)

But then again - if you do think Joanna Lumley is a British Asian because she in Indian by birth, that'll really cause some serious knicker twisting.

:) :)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Re: First British Asian Popstar Jan 30, 2011
shafique wrote:The "English disease", by which continental Europeans mean gay attachments between men. http://encyclopediadramatica.com/English

Encyclopaediadramatica no less, :lol: I’ll have to remember that one the next time I’m looking for a random definition.

shafique wrote:As for Englebert..
I didn't count Cliff Richard as a British Asian just because he was born in India (nor Spike Milligan or Joanna Lumley for that matter). If you consider them British Asians on a par with Farrokh Bulsara then we perhaps have a definition problem. (Englebert's parents were British, from what I can see - but if not, I'm happy to correct the title of this thread to 2nd British Asian popstar)

But then again - if you do think Joanna Lumley is a British Asian because she in Indian by birth, that'll really cause some serious knicker twisting.

Well please forgive my attempt to get Englebert passed the strict immigration control to your thread, I believed the subject matter to be more light hearted than you apparently intended! :roll:

Apart from the odd ditty, Spike, that is the Irish Spike Milligan, not the British one :) contributed during his career I wasn’t aware of his or Joanna Lumleys status as Pop Stars? Well you certainly live and learn on DF don't you?

:lol: :lol:
Dillon

So, is Joanna Lumley a British Asian actress in your book, or is Cliff Richard a British Asian pop star?

As for Spike Milligan -
Terence Alan Patrick Seán "Spike" Milligan KBE (16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002) was a comedian, writer, musician, poet, playwright, soldier, and actor. Milligan's early life was spent in India, where he was born, but the majority of his working life was spent in the United Kingdom. He became an Irish citizen in 1962 after the British government declared him stateless.[1] He was the co-creator, main writer and a principal cast member of The Goon Show, performing a range of roles including the popular Eccles.

is he Irish Asian then (to you)? :) I think we should be told.

You're failing quite spectacularly as the pedantry stakes Dillon - but 9/10 for effort. ;)

But back to the thread about Freddy.. do we have any other takers for the first British Asian popstar? (and please let us know if you are re-defining the term British Asian)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Who was the guy that sang the annoying speeding frog?
waynekerr
Dubai Forum User

shafique wrote:So, is Joanna Lumley a British Asian actress in your book, or is Cliff Richard a British Asian pop star?

As for Spike Milligan -
Terence Alan Patrick Seán "Spike" Milligan KBE (16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002) was a comedian, writer, musician, poet, playwright, soldier, and actor. Milligan's early life was spent in India, where he was born, but the majority of his working life was spent in the United Kingdom. He became an Irish citizen in 1962 after the British government declared him stateless.[1] He was the co-creator, main writer and a principal cast member of The Goon Show, performing a range of roles including the popular Eccles.

is he Irish Asian then (to you)? :) I think we should be told.

You're failing quite spectacularly as the pedantry stakes Dillon - but 9/10 for effort. ;)

But back to the thread about Freddy.. do we have any other takers for the first British Asian popstar? (and please let us know if you are re-defining the term British Asian)

Cheers,
Shafique

Well it’s truly amazing how you constantly label others with attributes that are so quintessentially yours Shaf, a form of self flattery and a self indulgent pat on the back indeed, but a most undesirable quality in an individual!

Is it when you have your head in that special dark place that you conjure up your hypothetical friends and scenarios where you usually come out top in your arguments, I see you've been there again?

:lol:

Spike? As I said, Irish, didn't see the need for that cut 'n' paste?

:lol: :lol:

Regards
Dillon

^You don't like admitting when you're wrong do you?

So, do you or do you not consider Cliff Richard, Joanna Lumley and Spike Milligan (pre 1962 when he took Irish citizenship) as 'British Asians'? I don't.

But back to Freddy - note that the web page from which those photos come from call him the first British Asian popstar. If Humperdink is a British Asian, then I guess he does pre-date Freddy - but I've not seen any reference to him being asian (yet).

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Keep looking Shaf, I'm sure you'll fnd someting on one of your less reliable random internet sites :lol:

I have more important things to laugh about at the moment.

:lol:
Dillon

SOHF? or was the question too difficult? LOL

Anyway - I'm glad I've got you doing fact checks and trying to trip me up. It is quite flattering, but why don't you lighten up and enjoy posting - this wasn't a 'heavy' thread - it's about Freddy Mercury for pete's sake! ;)

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

I love Freddie Mercury, whatever background he came from! He really is one of the best male singers I can think of. Too bad he's gone :(
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

There was always the chick from Monsoon.

8) 8) 8)

Knight
Dubai Knight

http://www.k-zentertainment.com/most-be ... uk_374.htm
10,8,7 (british asian babes) , Check it out - no nudes, sorry guyz.
zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber wrote: Check it out - no nudes, sorry guyz.

Sorry mate not clicking anything PG :D
desertdudeshj

Re: First British Asian Popstar Feb 03, 2011
British Asian? What's that then?
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:British Asian? What's that then?

Hey..... Great! You're back!!

Welcome back, Sweetie!!!

I did reply to your PM to me last week but couldn't send it (to T) due to the banning! I'll try to dig it out now and send it anyway to BM!

Are you sure now that you send and receive PM's?

Tom
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Of course I send and receive pms Tom and I have to say that 99per cent of the ones I've received have been all good! Thanks for the welcome back! BM is in transit at the moment, actually in the bar in Dubai Airport heading back to the UK. I'll have to see if I can write a topic called Tales From BM's Holiday and bore everyone to death LOL :D
Bethsmum

Nice to see you back!! :D
I shall be looking forward to getting bored by your Tales from BM's Holiday!!! :lol:
zonker
BANNED

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat