Is Dubai Boring In The Summer?

Topic locked
Is Dubai boring in the summer? May 14, 2006
What activities does everyone do in the summer?

When it's so hot outside, it seems that many people seem to take to hanging out in shopping malls. Entertainment dies a death.

It must be especially hard for kids - are their any youth clubs or such to keep them occupied?

Any suggestion?

Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 14, 2006
Hi Chocs,

Having spent 3 consecutive summers out here now there is still plenty to do, even though its hotter than hades outside! OK there are no organised events as such, but the beach is tolerable even though the sea is too warm and hardly refreshing. get to one of the hotels and use the pool, if you are not posh and have your own! A trip up to Umm Al Quwain to Dreamland Aqua Park or stay in Dubai and hit Wild Wadi for a half day is good. For a quieter time, head down to Al Ain and do the sights as the city is just hot as the rest of the UAE but the air is dryer and it feels much nicer. A drive up Jebel Hafeet is a must.

There's Adventureland at Sahara Centre, which is quite good as an indoor venue for younger kids. The government organises Modhesh Fun City at the Trade Centre which is a massive indoor entertainment centre.
Dubai Explorer has some good suggestions.

There is plenty to do for adults and kids will always find something to occupy themselves!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 14, 2006
My Pool

8) 8) 8)
arniegang

May 14, 2006
See...Posh!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
Yup, and posher than a posh person

8) 8)
arniegang

May 14, 2006
Modesh Fun City became a nightmare for us-the trampoline bungy thngee-just don't do it-my daughter was smashed against the pole, rope burns to her neck and leg and bruises to her face and two chipped teeth. She hates the yellow guy with a passion-he dots the path on the way to school and all I hear is "Noooooooooooooooo Modesh!!".

Dreamland is fantastic. The upstairs of Wafi is great-get a Wafi Card and leave the kids for hours for AED35 instead of AED45. I want to take the kids to Al Nasir Leisureland for ice skating and swimming-when I know more I'll tell you. The Hyatt has skating too, so that sounds good. There is always the pics and Ski Dubai and magic planet, which has bowling and Thunderbowl-how was that?There is Wonderland-anyone been?? Sharjah apparently has a great wildlife cenntre, science museum etc so probably worth a look. Creek Park has that Children's City-not bad. But when boredom strikes Wafi is great-they can roller blade too in air con surroundings.

I always arrange some craft activities-buy kits from Choithrams or Park 'n Shop or buy clay. There's stacks of that stuff here and you can get kids to make anything from popcorn and milkshakes to fudge without heating up the kitchen or even bath bombs-at least in Summer they can use them that night in the bath.
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 14, 2006
arniegang wrote:My Pool

8) 8) 8)

My kids and pooch-I see EVICTION looming!! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 14, 2006
GAB wrote:Modesh Fun City became a nightmare for us-the trampoline bungy thngee-just don't do it-my daughter was smashed against the pole, rope burns to her neck and leg and bruises to her face and two chipped teeth. She hates the yellow guy with a passion-he dots the path on the way to school and all I hear is "Noooooooooooooooo Modesh!!".

There is Wonderland-anyone been?? Sharjah apparently has a great wildlife cenntre, science museum etc so probably worth a look. Creek Park has that Children's City-not bad. But when boredom strikes Wafi is great-they can roller blade too in air con surroundings..

Your kids are not the only ones who hate the little yellow swine! I think my reasons are slightly different and will explain over a sundowner at some point in the future!

Wonderland is ok really as a winter venue, there are very few places you can get the kids out of the heat. The water in the canal is a bit mingy at times! Childrens City is an amazing facility and totally under utilised. There is a small petting zoo and quite a nice miniature town with houses from around the world all under plenty of shaded trees at Mushriff Park. There is a public swimming pool there too but it is segregated into ladies and mens halves.

Sharjah Aviation Museum is worth a look if you have boys and check out the old Souk (not the new shiny one at the end of Buhaira Corniche, but the old traditional one in the Heritage Area. Airconditioned and a treasure trove. Stop at the tea shop at the end and have a real mint tea. Its an experience!) Qanat Al Qasba may have some summer activities planned as well. Thats where the big wheel is based.

Hatta Fort Hotel is nice for a weekend break, but probably don't advise the trip around the old fort in the summer even thought the rooms are airconditioned, the walk between them can be uncomfortable. If you have a 4x4 its only a short hop up the track to Hatta Pools and they tend to have water in the summer...albeit a bit green!

I am sure there are other suggestions forthcoming...and I don't even have kids!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 14, 2006
GAB wrote:
arniegang wrote:My Pool

8) 8) 8)

My kids and pooch-I see EVICTION looming!! :lol:

The kids no probs

The poochie No way Pedro

:lol: :lol:
arniegang

May 14, 2006
Dubai Knight wrote:
Hatta Fort Hotel is nice for a weekend break, but probably don't advise the trip around the old fort in the summer even thought the rooms are airconditioned, the walk between them can be uncomfortable. If you have a 4x4 its only a short hop up the track to Hatta Pools and they tend to have water in the summer...albeit a bit green!

Knight

No need for a 4x4 I drove there on a Saab - a rental of course.
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 14, 2006
Bball courts, beach and roof top pool does me well.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 15, 2006
Well as for me I usually go with friends to Cafes and Sheeshas to play cards and watch some football matches !! Cinemas !! Pool, oh yea !! that's a refreshing thing to do !! 8) 8) 8)

Yet, with the World Cup comming, what more do u need ?!?
:roll:
Palkid7
Dubai chat master

May 15, 2006
Thanks guys for your contributions. You've given me some great ideas.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 15, 2006
i loved going to beach , surf on sand dunes, 4wheel drive, roller blading etc. Summer is fun bu hard in middle east
hashman
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 17, 2006
XRW-147 wrote:Bball courts, beach and roof top pool does me well.

Living the true expat lifestyle X!!! :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 17, 2006
GAB wrote:Living the true expat lifestyle X!!! :lol:

Gotta enjoy it while it (I) lasts ;)
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 17, 2006
X-you've got the car, the apartment and lifestyle.............the girls must be like bees to a honey pot! :D
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 19, 2006
Palkid7 wrote:Well as for me I usually go with friends to Cafes and Sheeshas to play cards :

But are you a true palkid, playing Trix until 5am every day hehehehe.
fayz
Dubai Forums Knight
Location: take a left at the Bebsi interchange, that is the Bebsi interchange

May 19, 2006
GAB wrote:X-you've got the car, the apartment and lifestyle.............the girls must be like bees to a honey pot! :D

:oops: But coincidently, those are the types of girls I shy well away from.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2006
Ah, wealth doesn't bring happiness, eh X?? :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 21, 2006
GAB wrote:Ah, wealth doesn't bring happiness, eh X?? :lol:

:lol: More a case of it detracts from the things that really means something. Fact of the matter all the riches in the world doesn't keep anyone from meeting Mr Reeper.
XRW-147
Dubai Forums Zealot

May 21, 2006
:lol: :lol:
GAB
Dubai Forums Veteran

May 21, 2006
Grim Reaper...don't go near the bony bastard!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Knight
Dubai Knight

May 21, 2006
when i was in dubai last summer , i used to

1= search the clouds every morning and evening at sky

2= GYM ......couldnt even get 1 pack

3= watching movies .......

4= shopping center .......window shopping
HP
Dubai Forums Knight