Does It Really Hit 50 Degrees In UAE During Summer ?

Topic locked
Does it really hit 50 Degrees in UAE During Summer ? Jun 08, 2009
Time Temp Feels like

10 AM 39° 49°
1 PM 40° 58°
4 PM 39° 57°
7 PM 34° 45°

This is forecast for Abu Dhabi on MSN weather for Jun 08 , 2009. Does it really get to 58-59 Degrees ? Some days feel like temperature even hits 60 degrees. I feel it difficult to comprehend how people work in such high temperatures. My cousin plans to move to Dubai. How mush priority should he give to weather there, in such case ? Is it manageable still or really difficult to stay around ?

Inputs appreciated.

maskinji
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 08, 2009
Yes it does. However the actual temperature if it is around 50 degrees will never be reported acurately in the media - because the late Sheikh Zayed made a decree that if it went over 50, people would be entitiled to the day off!

Bet not many people know that little gem!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 08, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:Yes it does. However the actual temperature if it is around 50 degrees will never be reported acurately in the media - because the late Sheikh Zayed made a decree that if it went over 50, people would be entitiled to the day off!

Bet not many people know that little gem!

Yeah, it is 49.5 a little too often.

Plus the other figures you show (the 58s) are the 'heat index' I think. Not sure how they calculate that but it's meant to be how hot it feels, not how hot it is. I've seen that figure well over 50 before. Think it takes into account the humidity and wind and stuff.

And while it does get stupidly hot here, it's not too bad because I'm going from Air-con apartment to air-con car to air-con work to air-con mall. It's the poor bastards working outside that I feel for.

Case in point, I had a friend recently come back from Ireland of all places and he was complaining about how hot it was because nothing there is air-conditioned.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 09, 2009
Yes
Evans_335i
Dubai Expat Wannabe

Jun 09, 2009
Its the humidity that makes it gross and miserable. I would say Mid July to late August is the WORST.

Tue
Jun 9

Sunny

101°
86°

101°F

Wed
Jun 10

Sunny

103°
84°

103°F

Thu
Jun 11

Sunny

105°
82°

105°F

Fri
Jun 12

Sunny

104°
82°

104°F

Sat
Jun 13

Sunny

106°
83°

106°F

Sun
Jun 14

Sunny

108°
85°

108°F

Mon
Jun 15

Sunny

107°

107°F

Tue
Jun 16

Sunny

107°
85°

107°F

Wed
Jun 17

Sunny

106°
85°

106°F
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 09, 2009
While it crosses 50 occasionally (which is gleefully hidden by the official weather centre), I doubt it ever touched 58 anywhere in Abu Dhabi or Dubai in the last 40 years...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 09, 2009
Oh no, it was upto about 54 a couple of years ago.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 09, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:(which is gleefully hidden by the official weather centre),

It's not. They reported over 50 a couple of weeks ago. Last year a temperature of 51.4 C was reported.

58 C is unbelievably hot. If you park your car in midday sun when outside temp is 40+, after 5-10 mins it is likely to be up to 55-60 C inside. I've never felt outside temperature close to that outdoors in the UAE.

I don't subscribe to the "not allowed to report more than 50 C" theory. Sounds like expat urban legend to me. There are too many temperature sensitive operations going on in the UAE, and too many independent measurement sources for that to be plausible. Anyway, the highest recorded temperature in the past 100 years, anywhere on earth, is about 58 C. It's hardly going to be a regular occurence, especially in cities close to the coast.

maskinji wrote:This is forecast for Abu Dhabi on MSN weather for Jun 08 , 2009. Does it really get to 58-59 Degrees ?

Must have been an error. Today (09 June 2009) it's showing max 40 C at 1pm. And having been outside in Dubai both yesterday and today I can assure you the temperature has not dropped by almost 20 C in one day.
bonk
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

Jun 09, 2009
The info that comes down is always slightly lower than it actually is.

Anyway it's damn hot now and I hate it - blurgh.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 09, 2009
it perhap's hit's more then that!........
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 09, 2009
K-Dog wrote:Its the humidity that makes it gross and miserable. I would say Mid July to late August is the WORST.

The heat in the UAE might be unbearable. But it's not all that humid dude. Humidity here is alright. Maybe it's because I been to countries where the humidity is so much worse I feel that way.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 09, 2009
People please, the temperature as always is measured in the shade under controlled conditions. It is completely wrong to judge the temperature in direct sunlight. It may hit 50 very occasionally here in Dubai at this time, however it is the exception rather than the rule.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 10, 2009
I've seen temps touch 55+ on many occasions but mostly at daytime in the desert during peak summer time.

Don't ask me what I was doing in the middle of the desert at the freakin' time of the day and year !

And yes officialy it never hits 50. Used to be a good anecdote I used to tell tourist visiting here when asked how high the temp gets here :D
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jun 10, 2009
feeling hot hot hot :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 10, 2009
I think once it gets over 45 degree it doesn't matter how how it actually is, it's all the same... ef'ing hot.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 10, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:I think once it gets over 45 degree it doesn't matter how how it actually is, it's all the same... ef'ing hot.

you would definitely boil when you find out australia have been kicked out of Twenty20 cricket world cup :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 10, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Captain Australia wrote:I think once it gets over 45 degree it doesn't matter how how it actually is, it's all the same... ef'ing hot.

you would definitely boil when you find out australia have been kicked out of Twenty20 cricket world cup :D

We were winning everything for so long that we all decided to let someone else win for a while. Like when you get sick of beating your little brother and having him cry so you let him bowl you out.
Captain Australia
Dubai chat master

Jun 10, 2009
Australia erred big time by picking Brett Lee and Shane Watson. Symonds was the final nail in the coffin....
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2009
Captain Australia wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

We were winning everything for so long that we all decided to let someone else win for a while. Like when you get sick of beating your little brother and having him cry so you let him bowl you out.

i guess ze english will win the ashes then :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2009
You can't compare flukster 20-20 cricket to proper test matches.

But at this point It looks like both teams are evenly poised.
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jun 11, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:
K-Dog wrote:Its the humidity that makes it gross and miserable. I would say Mid July to late August is the WORST.

The heat in the UAE might be unbearable. But it's not all that humid dude. Humidity here is alright. Maybe it's because I been to countries where the humidity is so much worse I feel that way.

oh i don't know with you but whenever humidity kicks up here, i felt like i'm gasping for breath.
DDS
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2009
That's the kicker, the humidity!
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Jun 11, 2009
I think the answer to the initial question is yes it does get round bout 50s here.. and even more so over the years bcos of all the traffic jams and lazy farts here in dubai...
and as for the 50 deg cannot carry on working gem .... thats old news ... for all the guys who work on tarmacs or construction ...
I kid you not .. try doin an A check on an airplane sitting in the sun with in flight entertainment powered and no aircon .... the boxes are designed to shut down at 60 deg ... we were melting at 68deg inside the plane ... wasnt funny to say the least.
nother fab one was changing a terminal block (electrical item ) on the pylon (top of the engine attatchment on the wing) at 1300 in the afternoon ... the aluminium heats up so bad that your ass is on fire... did some weird shit in me younger days ... wouldnt recommend it though
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 11, 2009
olivertwisted wrote:I think the answer to the initial question is yes it does get round bout 50s here.. and even more so over the years bcos of all the traffic jams and lazy farts here in dubai...
and as for the 50 deg cannot carry on working gem .... thats old news ... for all the guys who work on tarmacs or construction ...
I kid you not .. try doin an A check on an airplane sitting in the sun with in flight entertainment powered and no aircon .... the boxes are designed to shut down at 60 deg ... we were melting at 68deg inside the plane ... wasnt funny to say the least.
nother fab one was changing a terminal block (electrical item ) on the pylon (top of the engine attatchment on the wing) at 1300 in the afternoon ... the aluminium heats up so bad that your a#s is on fire... did some weird tasty in me younger days ... wouldnt recommend it though

I don't think you really know what you are talking about
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 11, 2009
jhbsnoopy wrote:its really hot outside, its so humid but if you have work then no need to worry anyway you have AC in your office, in your car and in your home.

Of course it's hot, it always is at this time of year
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 11, 2009
These 're the month's when wram weather hit's the top in dubai!...
Sharp
Dubai Expat Helper

Jun 11, 2009
Sharp wrote:These 're the month's when wram weather hit's the top in dubai!...

Which is?
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jun 11, 2009
hmmm i think your right sage .. its funny how profanity reflects itself as something else automatically in a post ... anyways seeing as you know what you are talking about I think u might have an inkling on what I was trying to say.
olivertwisted
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 11, 2009
Yerp it does , and i expect it to go around 55 this summer !

its gona be hot !
dude91x
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Jun 11, 2009
vacation time!! :wink:
Scotsman

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat