Holy Crap The S*** Is Going To Hit The Fan

Topic locked
Holy Crap the S*** is going to hit the fan Apr 06, 2009
Tonights BBC1 "Panorama" news and investigation program has done secret filming of Dubai's construction workers living conditions and the First Group Property Sales centre. Its called Slumdogs and Millionaires

read about it here, i doubt if it will be screened on BBC World.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7985361.stm

arniegang
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 07, 2009
Hmmm nothing new in this really is there, but will it change anything? Probably not.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 07, 2009
This was only filmed in January Chocs. And after seing the film Jamie Oliver has been dropped as ambassador for the Jumeira Golf Estate, because he questioned the developers.

also the largest golf competition in history due there in November is now in doubt.

They filmed Arabtec and UNEC working conditions inside the camp. Dont forget Panorama has serious steet cred
arniegang

Apr 07, 2009
I hope it makes a difference, I really do. But you know how things work here.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 07, 2009
Good job BBC. Finally some reckognition for these labourers.

I would recommend you all read the comments below the article. They also give very interesting insights from ex- and current workers. There isn't one commenter that says the situation is otherwise. They all agree about modern slavery.
RobbyG

Apr 07, 2009
This is all lies! Forum-poster Ebonics told us all his workers are happy to be exploited where he works.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Apr 07, 2009
I truly symphatise with the labourers situation but you have to look at the other side aswell. True you and me think they are under paid and live in Squalid conditions. I've been to some labour camps and Bachelor accomodations it really is insane there. But I've also asked them is it really worth all this crap only to make anywhere from 500 to 700dhs a month.

You'd be surprised at the answer I got. They said even though to us ( And I'm no rich man here ) this might seem like very little money but he said he is happy in the knowledge that his family back home will have roof on their head and food on the table which if he was back home might not be possibly.

So actually for most it really is a increase in living of standard and a better economic option to work here than to stay back home and be homeless and hungry.

Just thought I'd share the other side of the story aswell.

Way they get treated by their respected employers is another story altoghter :evil:
desertdudeshj

Apr 07, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:I truly symphatise with the labourers situation but you have to look at the other side aswell. True you and me think they are under paid and live in Squalid conditions. I've been to some labour camps and Bachelor accomodations it really is insane there. But I've also asked them is it really worth all this crap only to make anywhere from 500 to 700dhs a month.

You'd be surprised at the answer I got. They said even though to us ( And I'm no rich man here ) this might seem like very little money but he said he is happy in the knowledge that his family back home will have roof on their head and food on the table which if he was back home might not be possibly.

So actually for most it really is a increase in living of standard and a better economic option to work here than to stay back home and be homeless and hungry.

Exactly, that's what people don't understand is how much worse conditions are back home. They should be greatful that Dubai has taken them in to provide them with some type of work. There conditions back home I would say are the same or worse. Just look at Bangladesh.
Ruskie
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 07, 2009
I saw the programme. It secretly filmed inside one of the workers' camps.
It showed the toilets. They had no water. The toilets were the stand up type without seats. It showed all the unflushed crap in full colour!!. The reporter was wretching as they filmed.

The drains between their "chalets" were blocked and overflowing with sewage. The workers had stepping stones to get over the areas of surface sewage.

Workers secretly filmed [ from India] said they had to PAY agents to get a job in Dubai, and that it would take them ages, just to pay the fee back.
It will no doubt be repeated. I bet that bits will find their way onto You Tube.

It did not look good for Dubai.
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 07, 2009
Some of you forget that Dubai is trying to MARKET....[back to my marketing] ..........a TOP CLASS LUXURY LOCATION to the people of the western world , to come on holiday.

Now , this programme , which reaches tens of millions in the UK ALONE ......will NOW find its way to Germany, Sweden, Netherlands etc ...as well.

It paints a picture of FILTH and OPEN SEWERS .......IN DUBAI!! NOT LUXURY !!

People are not stupid!! That means DISEASE to them in a suffocatingly HOT country!!
The FLIES that land on that sewage.........can then FLY TO THE GROUNDS OF A 5 STAR "LUXURY" HOTEL AND LAND ON YOUR EXPENSIVE SANDWICHES NEXT TO THAT LUXURY SWIMMING POOL!!

It is NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!..
.....HOW DO YOU STOP DISEASE BEARING FLIES AND MOSQUITOES FROM FLYING ??
YOU CAN'T !!!

The STENCH in the work camps in temperatures of 100 F must be horrendous!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 07, 2009
Another question that will be asked by the western public.....Dubai's POTENTIAL visitors!!

If there are OPEN SEWERS in Dubai.........what about the WATER SUPPLY the holidaymakers are drinking?

PLUS......if the INDIAN WORKERS GET CHOLERA , THEY WILL SPREAD IT TO TOURISTS!!

These are all matters of common-sense!

THESE CAMPS SHOULD BE CLEANED UP AS A MATTER OF URGENCY. THE UAE IS AN OIL-RICH COUNTRY. IT NEEDS TO USE SOME OIL TO PURIFY MORE SEA WATER , TO SUPPLY THESE CAMPS WITH PLENTY OF CLEAN WATER!!

ADEQUATE SEWERS NEED TO BE BUILT ASAP !!

IF THE DISEASES TAKE A HOLD AND VISITORS DIE.......DUBAI IS FINISHED AS A HOLIDAY DESTINATION!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 07, 2009
It is true, that many of these workers are caught between a rock and a hard place, i.e. having no work at all in their own countries or working for a pitance here.

However, this does not give companies the right to exploit them the way they do! Everyone has the right to clean running water, good wash/toilet facilities and to be looked after. Sadly the way many of these companies operate is substandard, but in a country with virtually zero human rights, what can you expect.

Once again, the UAE professing to be a progressive, developed country, only proving that it is 3rd world and stuck in the dark ages.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 07, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:I truly symphatise with the labourers situation but you have to look at the other side aswell. True you and me think they are under paid and live in Squalid conditions. I've been to some labour camps and Bachelor accomodations it really is insane there. But I've also asked them is it really worth all this crap only to make anywhere from 500 to 700dhs a month.

Just thought I'd share the other side of the story aswell.

Way they get treated by their respected employers is another story altoghter :evil:

So, because they have a squalid existence in their country of origin makes it ok to treat them "slightly" better here? FFS, I am sick of this argument. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THIS PLACE TO TREAT PEOPLE LIKE HUMAN BEINGS! I keep hearing about this famous Arab hospitality.........where?
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 07, 2009
well, from the many workers I have interacted with - many claim that they were better off in their home countries - they had the privacy of their homes, the freedom of their own country, their family close to them - and even financially could somehow make ends meet.

They were brought here on false hopes and never to be realized dreams - being cheated to build up this place. You have no patriotism towards your own country until you work with your own hands to build it. With foreign workers being brought it to clean roads, workplaces, run homes, take care of kids, build the cities - this place has nothing it can say it has done on its own. Especially when people are cheated - the place gets cursed.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 07, 2009
lol sorry but hasnt the BBC got better things to do :D (misery u may use this line :D)

like report something which we DONT know about????
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
rudeboy wrote:lol sorry but hasnt the BBC got better things to do :D (misery u may use this line :D)

They are keeping Dxb in the spotlight and keeping the pressure on!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 07, 2009
smoggie wrote:
rudeboy wrote:lol sorry but hasnt the BBC got better things to do :D (misery u may use this line :D)

They are keeping Dxb in the spotlight and keeping the pressure on!

what for? i guess they dont wont their own ppl investing in dubai. they want them to buy houses in england :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
RB, once again you show your ignorance! WE know about it! The rest of the world doesn't! Especially because the Dubai government and authority are dead against any negative publicity getting out about the place.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

Apr 07, 2009
Chocoholic wrote:RB, once again you show your ignorance! WE know about it! The rest of the world doesn't! Especially because the Dubai government and authority are dead against any negative publicity getting out about the place.

this topic has been discussed over, over, over and over again especially in this forum. why do it again? y not discuss about something better.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
gtmash wrote:This is all lies! Forum-poster Ebonics told us all his workers are happy to be exploited where he works.

HAHAHA Classic!
desert surfer
Dubai Forums Talker

Apr 07, 2009
Any bets on a new law coming out in Dubai, banning people from carrying cameras/snapping under constructions sites, labourers working, labour housing facilities etc
The reasoning from the authorities would be that it's not permitted because of National Security issues!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:Any bets on a new law coming out in Dubai, banning people from carrying cameras/snapping under constructions sites, labourers working, labour housing facilities etc
The reasoning from the authorities would be that it's not permitted because of National Security issues!

national security :S is not that USA :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
And I'm curious, how many of us here have actually seen the conditions these workers work in or their living conditions? Have we ever spoken to them?
I'm not saying that they live in paradise, but maybe we're just over-reacting! Poverty exists in India, Pakistan and Nepal. It's not Dubai's fault that these people are willing to work for peanuts. Indians across any sector are willing to work cheaper than westerners....Can u blame the employer for that?
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
Misery Called Life wrote:And I'm curious, how many of us here have actually seen the conditions these workers work in or their living conditions? Maybe we're just over reacting. Have we ever spoken to them?
I'm not saying that they live in paradise, but maybe we're just over-reacting! Poverty exists in India, Pakistan and Nepal. It's not Dubai's fault that these people are willing to work for peanuts. Indians across any sector are willing to work cheaper than westerners....Can u blame the employer for that?

well i am a sleeping partner in a labour supply company. if you ask me most of the conditions are rubbish. in a room you will find 20 ppl lying there in the room. in the starting most of the owners didnt have a/cs in their camps. no water either. no electricity either. food wasnt provided. and salary wasnt given to these guys for sometime.

but honestly speaking things have become much better compared to 3, 4 years ago. even though they still share with 20 ppl. ac is there, water is there, electricity is there and food is provided.

its really depends who the owners are.

but if u ask these guys do u like it here. ofcourse they gonna say no. but then they will tell u they have no other option. either they can go back to their own countries like pakistan, india, nepal and look for a job to support their families. or they can stay here get 1000dhs a month and send that back.

so is 1000dhs better then nothing? yeh they get treated like dirt here by some of their employees. but are they really treated like kings back in their own countries?

what BBC didnt report is how these ppl are back in Pakistan, india and nepal. BBC also didnt mention how much they were getting back in their own countries. BBC need to report how back in the 1950s England had the same problem.

if i had to support my family and i was uneducated and there were no jobs whats so ever in my own country what will i do? get on the flight and go to dubai even though conditions are bad there. atleast i ll be getting the money.

these ppl were not forced to come here. they are desperate to come over here. i know about 100 ppl who are calling us everyday to sort visas out for them so they can start working here sitting back in their own countries.

i have to say that the govs should do more and probably punish some companies which break the laws.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:RB, once again you show your ignorance! WE know about it! The rest of the world doesn't! Especially because the Dubai government and authority are dead against any negative publicity getting out about the place.

this topic has been discussed over, over, over and over again especially in this forum. why do it again? y not discuss about something better.

to keep the pressure on brother :wink:
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 07, 2009
smoggie wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

sorry i 4got there were brits here on this forum who really do care about the labours in dubai yet they dont care about killing some ppl in afghanistan or iraq :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
so is 1000dhs better then nothing? yeh they get treated like dirt here by some of their employees. but are they really treated like kings back in their own countries?

It is the responsibility of the UAE government to protect labourers from exploitation.

Their situation elsewhere in the world is not an excuse to exploit them!

This is obviously a very sensitive subject with the Government and I hope the BBC continue to highlight the labourers plight. Well done to the BBC!

SMOGGIE
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 07, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
smoggie wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

sorry i 4got there were brits here on this forum who really do care about the labours in dubai yet they dont care about killing some ppl in afghanistan or iraq :D

idiot!
smoggie
Dubai Expat Helper

Apr 07, 2009
smoggie wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
smoggie wrote:
rudeboy wrote:

idiot!

it takes one idiot to know another idiot :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 07, 2009
The situation can be decribed very simply;

1) There is nothing grossly wrong if a destitute worker is willing to share a room with 10 people and work for peanuts

2) What is wrong is when a worker comes here and finds out he is getting half of what he was told or signed on, and then he is not allowed to resign or return as his passport isnt with him or for whatever reason.
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat