Holy Crap The S*** Is Going To Hit The Fan

Topic locked
Apr 12, 2009
RedKite wrote:I suppose that if it floats out to the WORLD , the latter could be called the TURD WORLD , rather like an Irishman pronounces Third World !!

That would be ironic!!

Now this a nice display of words RK.

There was this documentary about Senegal and boatrefugees that head out for Spain since there was work for them. They haven't heard of sanitary conditions there in Senegal, so they all dump their excrement right on the beaches! Oyy that smells. Reporter picked up a hand of sand and said 'smell it' !? Two people nearly crumbled from sand filled with fecies!

That is whats happens if Dubai doesn't act quickly to get migrant workers a decent toilet flush and disposal facility for our/their necessary daily dumps :wink:

RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Apr 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
RedKite wrote:I suppose that if it floats out to the WORLD , the latter could be called the TURD WORLD , rather like an Irishman pronounces Third World !!

That would be ironic!!

There was this documentary about Senegal and boatrefugees that head out for Spain since there was work for them. They haven't heard of sanitary conditions there in Senegal, so they all dump their excrement right on the beaches! Oyy that smells. Reporter picked up a hand of sand and said 'smell it' !? Two people nearly crumbled from sand filled with fecies!

That is whats happens if Dubai doesn't act quickly to get migrant workers a decent toilet flush and disposal facility for our/their necessary daily dumps :wink:

Not all of the Labour Facilities are as described.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

That would be ironic!!

Of course not! Only the one we saw on Panorama was....

The point is, they are dumping trucks in the floodcanals, so the water is already ful of chemicals and bacteria levels, not healthy to man. Plus, I exxagerated the fact that beaches could look like the Senagalese ones if they don't build a new disposal facility soon (or increase its throughput).

Thats all I'm saying. Don't take it too serious. I was pointing out an outcome of neglect.
RobbyG

Apr 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

That would be ironic!!

The point is, they are dumping trucks in the floodcanals, so the water is already ful of chemicals and bacteria levels, not healthy to man. Plus, I exxagerated the fact that beaches could look like the Senagalese ones if they don't build a new disposal facility soon (or increase its throughput).

Thats all I'm saying. Don't take it to serious. I was pointing out an outcome of neglect.

Again this is the exception and not the rule, the dumping that has been going on is carried out illegally by the tanker drivers, this is not from the Authorities.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

That would be ironic!!

Thats all I'm saying. Don't take it to serious. I was pointing out an outcome of neglect.

Again this is the exception and not the rule, the dumping that has been going on is carried out illegally by the tanker drivers, this is not from the Authorities.

Now you make me look foolish. Surely I know that :lol:

But its the government who should act on matters that the private sector can't solve. Or at least participate in to make sure the beaches and water/sanitary qualities are within reasonable limits.

Neglect doesn't solve the issue Sage.

edit: How many trucks were lining up before the disposal facility at one point? Thats what I mean...the lack of capacity is a government/private sector issue that needs improvement. If not, the result is neglect.
RobbyG

Apr 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

That would be ironic!!

Now you make me look foolish. Surely I know that :lol:

But its the government who should act on matters that the private sector can't solve. Or at least participate in to make sure the beaches and water/sanitary qualities are within reasonable limits.

Neglect doesn't solve the issue Sage.

edit: How many trucks were lining up before the disposal facility at one point? Thats what I mean...the lack of capacity is a government/private sector issue that needs improvement. If not, the result is neglect.

The Government has acted and is acting, more facilities are being introduced, the problem was the Tanker Drivers being greedy, believe me they charge an arm and a leg to empty a sewage holding tank, more than enought to cover a whole day waiting in line.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
That is new info for me. I have to revise my thought process ;)

I take your word for it then.
RobbyG

Apr 12, 2009
RobbyG wrote:That is new info for me. I have to revise my thought process ;)

Thats cool, and it is the actual situation.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 12, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
RobbyG wrote:That is new info for me. I have to revise my thought process ;)

Thats cool, and it is the actual situation.

The problem was simply the Government not building more sewage treatmnt plants when they first saw the phenominal increase in population in Dubai, starting a few years ago. One sewage plant for a city this size was always going to lead to disaser. There has actually been no explanation given.

The sewage truck queue was simply staggering a its height, you could see its headlights at night stretching down roads all around you when you travelled Academic City way.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 13, 2009
desertdudeshj wrote:I truly symphatise with the labourers situation but you have to look at the other side aswell. True you and me think they are under paid and live in Squalid conditions. I've been to some labour camps and Bachelor accomodations it really is insane there. But I've also asked them is it really worth all this crap only to make anywhere from 500 to 700dhs a month.

You'd be surprised at the answer I got. They said even though to us ( And I'm no rich man here ) this might seem like very little money but he said he is happy in the knowledge that his family back home will have roof on their head and food on the table which if he was back home might not be possibly.

So actually for most it really is a increase in living of standard and a better economic option to work here than to stay back home and be homeless and hungry.

Just thought I'd share the other side of the story aswell.

Way they get treated by their respected employers is another story altoghter :evil:

Dude it's not about whether 700 dhs is worth it for them. That is not the point. They do hard and dangerous work. Everywhere in the developed world, such occupations are very well compensated in both cash and benefits. People here keep saying if we paid them more we wouldn't have been able to build this city. well...no....because you see.....the developed world mentioned above.....continues to ummm......be developed. Point is, pay them properly by Dubai standards not Bangladesh or Nepal standards. That's the only way this can be fair. It's not the worker's pay that inflated real estate prices in Dubai. It was the influx of greedy investors and stupid speculators who put combined down payments on 6 apartments at a time when their capital could not even pay for one. There is no reason to continue to underpay these workers other than greed and the only way to control this would be to enforce minimum wages and require all employees to be paid by check on the 1st of each month.

I know yours is an old post. I just wanted to comment on it.

Regarding the whole sewage situation, I mean come on for god's sake. If the country treated all the people who became sick because of these sewage situations instead of sending them back to their own countries, they would certainly care a lot more about this problem. And saying that the government has acted is acting is not a response because these problems have been ongoing for 20 or so years so why so late?
dee7o
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 13, 2009
Hello everyone. I never read through the whole post but don't these people know about machines that can turn waste water into drinking water? I know the Canadian military has them. Portable Units about the size of a container. I would think they would work good for temporary job sites. The investor would not have to spend as much to keep sanitary conditions. Happy employee's do good work. Miserable peope do shoddy work and will take shortcuts. Sounds like the country needs a system like our WCB (worker's compensation board) Certain standards have to be meet or the job gets shut down.
canuckbid
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 15, 2009
I am amazed at how some people pretend to care about how these workers are treated without understanding the deeper implications and realities that makes this poor treatment possible. I love when expats (mostly brits by the way) start whining about how the indian workers are underpaid and overworked, how they are miserable, blablabla

Reality check: The british nation is and has always been the most imperialistic nation, having shed the blood of millions and exploited millions more for centuries (including India itself!) The argument that says developped nations pay people well and remain developed doesnt stand: All G8 countries were built on the back on slavery and exploitation, that is a known fact. It's very easy to criticize others when you drive a 2009 Range Rover and live in a 2000000 dirham villa paid by your employer, but people need to understand that for every person that lives well and is paid well, hundreds will suffer and starve. The reality is that western people don't care about poverty or abuse, they just don't want it shoved in their faces. If you feel so concerned about the indian workers conditions, why don't you give up your luxury accomodation and join them in these camps?

One thing I have always found appalling about the west is how the governments screw weaker nations out of their ressources and exploit them, yet their populations close their eyes and benefit from this, only to scream scandal when another country does the same. Sorry if I have offended anyone but people need to wake up and realize that the only way these people get treated better is if we all accept to drop our standards of living dramatically. Anyone here cares to take their monthly salary from 25000 dirhams to 2000 dirhams for the "cause"?

Didn't think so...
Pimpin80
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Apr 15, 2009
Pimpin80 wrote:I am amazed at how some people pretend to care about how these workers are treated without understanding the deeper implications and realities that makes this poor treatment possible. I love when expats (mostly brits by the way) start whining about how the indian workers are underpaid and overworked, how they are miserable, blablabla

Reality check: The british nation is and has always been the most imperialistic nation, having shed the blood of millions and exploited millions more for centuries (including India itself!) The argument that says developped nations pay people well and remain developed doesnt stand: All G8 countries were built on the back on slavery and exploitation, that is a known fact. It's very easy to criticize others when you drive a 2009 Range Rover and live in a 2000000 dirham villa paid by your employer, but people need to understand that for every person that lives well and is paid well, hundreds will suffer and starve. The reality is that western people don't care about poverty or abuse, they just don't want it shoved in their faces. If you feel so concerned about the indian workers conditions, why don't you give up your luxury accomodation and join them in these camps?

One thing I have always found appalling about the west is how the governments screw weaker nations out of their ressources and exploit them, yet their populations close their eyes and benefit from this, only to scream scandal when another country does the same. Sorry if I have offended anyone but people need to wake up and realize that the only way these people get treated better is if we all accept to drop our standards of living dramatically. Anyone here cares to take their monthly salary from 25000 dirhams to 2000 dirhams for the "cause"?

Didn't think so...

This is not the solution to the problem. I'll keep it short to explain why:

1. Weaker nations need income the gain the same living standards as our Western nations. Trade for resources is actually a good thing, but only if the government of the weaker nations eliminates corruption in its top veins.

2. Giving away half of your salary doesn't improve the situation of labour camps. You can try to spread the wealth, but it eventually comes down to education and efforts in recognising some of the problems inherent to fast growth (pollution, neglect, human rights, wages, building standards, infrastructure etc. etc.) that need to be addressed.

What you suggest will work for some of the individuals, but not for the total cause. Its the root that needs addressing. Not putting the blame on the ones that address them. :wink:
RobbyG

Apr 15, 2009
I like the large type for the economically blind to read easily!
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 15, 2009
Haha, it wasn't on purpose though. I just don't know why it happened and I can't change it either, since everything is per usual....

HELP ;)
RobbyG

Apr 16, 2009
hahahahhahahahah good point
mckenzie
Dubai Forums Member

Apr 17, 2009
Pimpin80 wrote:I am amazed at how some people pretend to care about how these workers are treated without understanding the deeper implications and realities that makes this poor treatment possible. I love when expats (mostly brits by the way) start whining about how the indian workers are underpaid and overworked, how they are miserable, blablabla

Didn't think so...

Seems to have issues with some of you Brits out there :D
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 17, 2009
RobbyG wrote:

Didn't think so...

1. Weaker nations need income the gain the same living standards as our Western nations. Trade for resources is actually a good thing, but only if the government of the weaker nations eliminates corruption in its top veins.

2. Giving away half of your salary doesn't improve the situation of labour camps. You can try to spread the wealth, but it eventually comes down to education and efforts in recognising some of the problems inherent to fast growth (pollution, neglect, human rights, wages, building standards, infrastructure etc. etc.) that need to be addressed.

What you suggest will work for some of the individuals, but not for the total cause. Its the root that needs addressing. Not putting the blame on the ones that address them. :wink:

Trade for resources is good, as long as there are more local companies profiting from those resources than the foreign companies that are coming in. This is as important to a country's wealth and standard of living as not having a corrupt government.
Snow
Dubai forums Addict

Apr 17, 2009
Snow wrote:
RobbyG wrote:

Didn't think so...

Trade for resources is good, as long as there are more local companies profiting from those resources than the foreign companies that are coming in. This is as important to a country's wealth and standard of living as not having a corrupt government.

Moronic. Corruption skims off all the cream and leaves the local farmers, miners, etc. with nothing. It's the biggest nail in the coffin of Africa. Don't write such rubbish.

Also if a nation can't exploit its resources then it's pure economics that someone else will come and buy them up and that nation will be grateful for the income. Money is nationless now, countries practically all own bits of each other. Your view is simplistic and childish, and ignores the basic forces at work.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
It's also the corrupt governments that are selling off resources wholesale. It's corruption that is killing Africa.

Wake up.
Speedhump
Dubai Forums Zealot

Apr 17, 2009
Speedhump wrote:It's also the corrupt governments that are selling off resources wholesale. It's corruption that is killing Africa.

Wake up.

Amen
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Apr 20, 2009
True about African corruption. Some of its leaders live in fantastic palaces and skim off the international aid and even charity money headed for their country. I read of several instances where African leaders are reportedly hiding millions of pounds in secretive Swiss bank accounts.

On that point, I bet that THOUSANDS hide their money in places like Switzerland and Liechtenstein ......and then drop dead....without ANYONE knowing it is there!!

I'd love to know how much money Switzerland and Liechtenstein have made that way.........BILLIONS, I bet !!!

Rich greedy men will hoard Millions without thinking HOW SHORT their own lives are!!
For example, how many have hoarded and hidden millions in their Sixties and Seventies.........almost thinking they will live forever.......then they drop dead within five years!!

During the war, Nazi officers looted and hid millions of pounds worth of gold, money and artwork , especially from rich Jews, and hid it in Switzerland.......then within a year or two, the Nazi officer was shot dead himself!!

Who REALLY GAINED?? The cowardly Swiss Government, of course, that sat there like a gutless PARASITE , hoarding looted wealth , PRETENDING to be "Innocent" and neutral.....but KNOWING that the wealth it was hiding WAS STOLEN FROM MURDERED INNOCENTS!!

It has also always known that the thieves themselves would die without leaving a track for others to trace the looted goods!!

The thieves are as guilty as hell......BUT SO IS THE "GOODY, GOODY" PARTNER IN CRIME.......THE SWISS GOVERNMENT!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

Apr 20, 2009
I have noticed that this thread has gone from C*ap in Dubai.......to greater C*ap in Switzerland!!

Seriously though. Dubai MUST clean up its labour camps and provide 3rd World workers with EDUCATION IN CLEANLINESS......and WATER........and GOOD ADEQUATE DRAINS!!

Then Dubai......instead of building the tallest tower in the world and the biggest hotel.......and the biggest theme park........NEEDS TO BUILD THE BIGGEST SEWAGE TREATMENT PLANT IN THE WORLD!!

Why does not Dubai treat all this human sewage ........take it to a cordoned off desert region, spread it all over the sand , plough it in from time to time, then pipe in water to irrigate that desert area ? It could turn it into a plantation, by planting palm trees in rows and carting the treated human sewage in trucks in between the rows .
With irrigation.....those PALMS WOULD REALLY GROW!!
RedKite
Dubai Forums Veteran

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat