Christmas Thoughts From The UK

Topic locked
Christmas Thoughts From the UK Dec 23, 2010
I know that only a minority of DFers are British and not all are Christian, but I hope that we all, on DF, can enter into the spirit of Christmas. Warm thoughts from BM to each and everyone one of you.

I left work early tonight and drove up the M6 at warp factor 5 in time to catch the shops for those last minute purchases. Miss Beth had announced that her BF's parents had bought her perfume which obliged me to return the favour. 'Great' thinks BM, 'what do you get for a randy 15yr old?' BM settled for a belt from River island. After making other vital purchases, which included clothes for BM, I made a visit to 'my M&S' as the adverts remind me. A pork pie and some duck pate later BM makes her way back to the Beemer. Luckily it remained in one piece after being parked in a public car park in Carlisle for more than one hour.

BM made her way home dreaming of a fish supper.... The snow began to fall...Chris Rea was on the radio

Driving Home For Christmas
And it's been so long
But I will be there
I sing this song
To pass the time away
Driving in my car
Driving home for Christmas

It's gonna take some time
But I'll get there
Top to toe in tail-lights
Oh, I got red lights on the run
But soon there'll be a freeway
Get my feet on holy ground

OMG BM felt Christmassy! She looked around whilst stopped at the lights! It could have been Victorian Times with people linked together, wrapped up and braving the weather, if not for the fake Burberry baseball caps worn back to front!

How I love my green and pleasant land at this time of year! Why I could easily joined the WI and sang Jerusalem at the top of my voice! Why do the WI have Jerusalem as their anthem?

Anyhows, to all DFers, whatever your persuasion, Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays! May I wish every each and every one of you, the very best over this very special time. BM loves you all, including her very special friend DDS :D

Bethsmum
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: Christmas Thoughts From The UK Dec 23, 2010
I love that Chris Rea track. Now that my guitar is in Australia, I cannot even belt it out! He has such a killer voice for a dude so small. It is perfect as I am sure you have been on "The Road to Hell" the past few weeks!

This year, Mrs. DD and I are doing an orphan's Christmas. We know many of the folks, but it will be cool as a first time orphan has seen all his family leave this year (and they usually hosted everyone). Another couple we only met this week, have been in town (her 2 weeks, he 2 hours) but invited them along. The more the merrier I think.

Our plan is a nice Crimbo brunch, then back to mine and drain the infidel juice cabinet. I might even invite the Russian plastic surgery freak from next door if she has no "prior engagements".

I miss the snow, though. Might make it to the UK for my annual pilgrimage in Feb, we'll see how much MRs. DD's prezzies break the bank.
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Re: Christmas Thoughts From the UK Dec 23, 2010
DD, you have made me quite nostalgic for Murjan 2!

I have a very special friend and her husband who live in Murjan 1, she is Chris Rea's cousin. They are so much fun and I have spent many an excellent night with them. Her husband makes the strongest G&T's I have ever tasted, and I have bounced of every wall between Murjan 1 and 2 on my return from their place. They have just sold their holiday home in Vancouver. On my last visit to their flat I swore I wasn't going to drink as I had an Emirates flight at 7.30 the next morning. The first thing I knew was the taxi driver ringing my phone at 5am. It is wonderful how a fully clothed woman can sleep on a bed and only use 6 inches of it, then turn up at check in and get upgraded to BC in the clothes she has slept in. Amazin.

By the way, if you have a do with the Russian 'lady' please get the name of her surgeon so that I can avoid him in the future. Thanks.
Bethsmum

I don't think I've ever heard that Chris Rea song, am going to have to look that one up!
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

It's my favourite K. it beats 'Merry Christmas, you arsehole' (Fairytale of New York) by the Pogues anyday.

Chris Rea is from DK's neck of the woods, well Middlesboro, not a stones throw from Darlo.
Bethsmum

Taking off soon and heading back to the UAE,only got a few days off and then flying back to this sh*t hole,but so looking fwd to being home.
busa
Dubai forums Addict

Thanks for the link. It's ok, not my favourite, though he's got a nice voice. My sentimental Christmas classic is Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8FID8Ck ... re=related
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Yes DD, I'm looking forward to our orphans Christmas lunch. Sad that msot of the crazy gang have now left and it's a small group of us :cry:
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Re: Christmas Thoughts From the UK Dec 24, 2010
Merry Christmas to you too BM! We don't celebrate Christmas; our new year is 20th March. But I like Santa and the beautiful tree!
melika969
Dubai Forums Knight

melika969 wrote:Merry Christmas to you too BM! We don't celebrate Christmas; our new year is 20th March. But I like Santa and the beautiful tree!

Thank you Mel! Between you and me the religious thing is lost on me. I just like the warm feelings I get when everyone is being nice to each other at this time of year. It has a feel good factor! England is so beautiful at the moment with all the snow. As I drive down my lane in the morning I look over the fields and its as if they have been sprinkled with diamonds as the sun shines down on the snow. It lifts my heart. Happy Holidays to you Mel, I hope all is well with you and your family wherever they are in the world. :santa:

-- Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:21 am --

busa wrote:Taking off soon and heading back to the UAE,only got a few days off and then flying back to this sh*t hole,but so looking fwd to being home.

Busa, BM is confused! Is the sh*t hole you refer to, the UK or Dubai?

-- Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:26 am --

Chocoholic wrote:Yes DD, I'm looking forward to our orphans Christmas lunch. Sad that msot of the crazy gang have now left and it's a small group of us :cry:

Chocs, please don't be sad. Unfortunately the world moves on and nothing ever stays the same. You have to look forward, remember the past with fond memories, but embrace the future. Look on life as one big adventure and treasure your memories in the back of your mind. The World According To BM :santa:
Bethsmum

Re: Christmas Thoughts From The UK Dec 24, 2010
Merry Christmas to one and all!

I'm enjoying the summer sun here in Mauritius and the Christmas tradition here is to go out in the evening to buy pressies for the kids (my wife has already done this though) - all the shops are open and there are loads of street stalls.

Tomorrow we won't be having turkey - but roast chicken instead (with gravy and bread sauce natch) .. and perhaps a trip to the beach. ;)

Ho ho ho.. and all that!

Cheers,
Shafique
shafique
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Sounds nice Chocs and Shaf! Enjoy!

We celebrate over two days because of our different Christmas traditions in our countries. This morning we had eggnog french toast, then we were off to see friends. Mr Kanelli managed to get his finger caught in the joint of the baby buggy when lifting it from the taxi, so he had to get right back in the taxi and go to the doc. He's broken the top part and lost the nail - looks pretty gross! Anyhow, patched up and with pain killers, he was able to rejoin us. Tonight Santa will come visit our little ones and give them gifts in person, then we'll have some friends over for Christmas drinks. Tomorrow we'll likely go to the Botanic Gardens, then take in some other expat orphans for Christmas dinner.

:santa: Merry Christmas to all! :reindeer:
kanelli
Miss DubaiForums 2006

Wishing all my DFers a wonderful Christmas filled with joy and good tidings - and lots of presents from Santa. :reindeer: :occasion1:

If only the feel-good feelings could last through the year.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Well it's Christmas Eve and BM is knackered. The day started ferrying Beth's mates home after a scary movie night at Casa BM, assorted bodies scattered over the living room floor this morning.
BM is no domestic godess but excels at Christmas, as I have spent all afternoon cooking. Unheard of except for this time of year! I have stuffed the turkey, make bread sauce, am boiling all those bits from the turkey for gravy and roasted a piece of Cumbian Fell Bred brisket in the rayburn, the smell of which is drifting through the house. I have made a proper cheesecake, some sticky toffee pudding, corned beef and potato pie, bacon quiche and a sherry trifle. I am the business!

Christmas Eve is a big do in Casa BM, we have hot beef rolls, anything else that's going, washed down with gallons of Chardonnay and then open the pressies. It has always been a tradition of opening pressies on Christmas Eve, I explain this away as living in Germany for many a year, which is what a lot of Germans do but in reality it was so that the kidlets didn't wake up too early on Christmas morning!

BM puts much store by Christmas gifts, they don't have to cost a lot but the thought behind them goes a long way in my book. BM was hoping for a shiny red X6, or Usher, in her stocking, but at this late hour it may be Chanel No5 again, no worries! I did give Beth the nod that I did not want a repeat of last year, which was the latest dance CD and a poster of JLS. If anyone turns up with kitchen utensils, a fitness DVD or wrinkle cream for BM, they are dead.

Well I'm on me first glass of wine and I have promised Beth not to fall asleep at 9pm so lets hope BM can stick to her promise!

Merry Christmas to all DFers and a few appropriate words from Greg Lake

I wish you a hopeful Christmas
I wish you a brave New Year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at Christmas
They said there'll be peace on Earth
Hallelujah Noel be it Heaven or Hell
The Christmas you get you deserve.

Enjoy! xx
Bethsmum

Merry Christmas to you BM and to yours,... and to all the other Duffers who celebrate Christmas including Mr. Shaf (WHAT??… Shaf??….Yes, Shaf!!!)

Loud Cheers,.. Everyone!!! :occasion5: :occasion5:

And I hope we all have a much better year next year!!

Hugs to all...and hugs (and kisses) esp.to my sweetie, BM, XOXOXO!!! :love4: :love4:

TJ

:santa: :santa:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

zubber
Dubai Forums Veteran

Merry Christmas all. Me and the Mrs. just finished our fish n chips takeaway. We both worked today, then I hit the shops. 9:30 pm and we still need to clean the house, I need to wrap prezzies, and it was decided the missile launcher needs to move or a drunkard will spill something on it tomorrow.

Looking forward to orphan's crimbo tomorrow!
dubaidog
Dubai chat master

Tom Jones wrote:Merry Christmas to you BM and to yours,... and to all the other Duffers who celebrate Christmas including Mr. Shaf (WHAT??… Shaf??….Yes, Shaf!!!)

Hugs to all...and hugs (and kisses) esp.to my sweetie, BM, XOXOXO!!! :love4: :love4:

TJ

Thanks TJ, Merry Christmas to you, where ever you be! Don't forget, the Chardonnay is on chill and the shag pile awaits! If I was to wish anything for myself it would be to have a next year as good as this one :santa:
Bethsmum

Re: Christmas Thoughts From the UK Dec 25, 2010
I shall merely post what I put on my FB page:

Merry Christmyarse to all my dyslexic friends!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Knight
Dubai Knight

Re: Christmas Thoughts From the UK Dec 26, 2010
Yo everyone...Bon Fest and Feliz Navidad.

Now that my spiritual observation and family obligations are done with.....It's time to get DRUNK!!!! :D :D
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Wishing you all at DF
A very happy christmas and a prosperous new year..
prettygal
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Bethsmum wrote:
Tom Jones wrote:Merry Christmas to you BM and to yours,... and to all the other Duffers who celebrate Christmas including Mr. Shaf (WHAT??… Shaf??….Yes, Shaf!!!)

TJ

Thanks TJ, Merry Christmas to you, where ever you be! Don't forget, the Chardonnay is on chill and the shag pile awaits! If I was to wish anything for myself it would be to have a next year as good as this one :santa:

OK,.. I’ll re-phrase that and say: May next year be your best year ever!!!

Hey…don’t forget to always keep the Chrard on chill!

You never know… I might show up at your door anytime!!

BTW, what color is the shag pile?…. I’m already fantasizing about it ! :D :D

Well,.. never mind the color!

Being together with you is really what counts!!

:love9: :love9:
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Dubai Knight wrote:I shall merely post what I put on my FB page:

Merry Christmyarse to all my dyslexic friends!

Knight

Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

Aaaawww, TJ you're welcome on my shag pile anyday.
The Chardonnay is always chilled, the fire lit and a welcoming smile and hug awaits. See you soon I hope :wink:
Bethsmum

Bethsmum wrote:Aaaawww, TJ you're welcome on my shag pile anyday.
The Chardonnay is always chilled, the fire lit and a welcoming smile and hug awaits. See you soon I hope :wink:

Great sweetie,… but sorry, it’ll have to wait until the snow melts!!

I don’t like it too, too cold! I'm a California boy. I can't stand the freezing cold!! :D

But I’ll surely take up your invite! I won't miss it for the world!!!

Sometime…. Someday… when I’m in the UK!!

Thanks a lot dear and enjoy the rest of the holiday season!!!

:D :D

tnCALZEVTM.jpg
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

TJ, Baby if you've got to go away
I don't think
I can take the pain
Won't you stay another day
Oh, don't leave me alone like this
Don't say it's the final kiss

Don't you know
We've come too far now
Just to go
And try to throw it all away
Thought I heard you say
You love me
That your love was gonna be here to stay
I've only just begun
To know you
All I can say is
Won't you stay just one more day

I touch your face while you are sleeping
And hold your hand
Don't understend what's going on
Good times we had return
To haunt me
Though it's for you
All that I do seem to be wrong
Don't you wait another day

-- Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 am --

Manchester City are second in the Premiership and England kicked Australia's A$$ this morning! All is well in BM world!!

-- Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 am --

But I'll get there

So I sing for you
Though you can't hear me
When I get through
And feel you near me
I am driving home for Christmas
With a thousand memories
Bethsmum

Re: Christmas Thoughts From the UK Dec 27, 2010
Bethsmum wrote:TJ, Baby if you've got to go away
I don't think
I can take the pain
Oh, don't leave me alone like this
Don't say it's the final kiss

Don't you know
We've come too far now
Just to go
And try to throw it all away
Thought I heard you say
You love me
That your love was gonna be here to stay
I've only just begun
To know you
All I can say is
Won't you stay just one more day

I touch your face while you are sleeping
And hold your hand
Don't understend what's going on
Good times we had return
To haunt me
Though it's for you
All that I do seem to be wrong
Don't you wait another day

-- Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 am --

Manchester City are second in the Premiership and England kicked Australia's A$$ this morning! All is well in BM world!!

-- Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:11 am --

But I'll get there

So I sing for you
Though you can't hear me
When I get through
And feel you near me
I am driving home for Christmas
With a thousand memories

No, sweetheart, I am not leaving you!!

I couldn’t do that even if I wanted to!
You’ve already stolen my heart!!!

So, don't worry, I’ll always be yours, Babe!!

One more thing! Lest we get the other DF lads (and girls) burning with jealousy, let’s cool it off for a bit. Our display of our passionate love for each other is apparently making some people green with envy! :D :D

Or would it make it better for them if we moved from General to Romance!? What do you think??

Hey…congrats to Man City and England. Too bad England couldn’t show that same playing spirit at the World Cup!!!!

Love your poems by the way, esp. the one addressed to me!!

Keep’em coming! I’m a lush for these things!!!

Well…Gotta run dear!! Bye for now!!

8) 8)
Tom Jones
Dubai Forums Veteran

TJ, are people jealous? :shock: I didn't realise anyone else was reading this! :oops:
Bethsmum

Ahem!
drewpeacock
Dubai chat master

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat