Bahrain's Decision To Scrap Sponsorship

Topic locked
Bahrain's decision to scrap sponsorship May 05, 2009
When we can expect same thing in UAE ? Best descision made at the right time. These are days of great thinking, respect for all people. excellent.

Bijukakkat
Dubai Forum Visitor

May 06, 2009
From Majeed Al Alawi, Bharaini Labour Minister "This is the end of the sponsorship system, which does not differ much from slavery," couldn't agree more. Hope to see the same here at home.
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 06, 2009
? I dont get your post and your argument?
portland
Dubai Expat Helper

May 06, 2009
Kindly cite your information
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

May 06, 2009
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

May 06, 2009
The UAE may be hugely successful but I personally think that some of the other gulf states are more forward thinking. Bahrain, Qatar, and Kuwait all seem to be taking more significant steps towards a real open society than the UAE. Sharjah is like a mini Saudi Arabia and UAQ seems to be following in its footsteps.

Then again, other gulf states have their own share of problems.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

May 06, 2009
gamercowboy wrote:The UAE may be hugely successful but I personally think that some of the other gulf states are more forward thinking. Bahrain, Qatar, and Kuwait all seem to be taking more significant steps towards a real open society than the UAE. Sharjah is like a mini Saudi Arabia and UAQ seems to be following in its footsteps.

Then again, other gulf states have their own share of problems.

I agree that sponsorship is not necessary ! it created problems for both the expats and the locals and both parties have abused its terms.

but not in all cases ! ex :if I own a company and I spent money training my employees for years ,how could he just walk a way ? what did I get out of training him/her ? even Gov establishments have a problems with such thing from locals whom they train and spend hill of money and walk away all of a sudden and they have to hire another one ,go over his training process and so on. and when this accrue in a big scale then it becomes an issue. and many small issues that involve my employees walking away from my company.

but if this law only apply's win the employee contracts originally ends then it's fine.

ps. this is as a business owner perspective nothing more
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 06, 2009
But, this is what happens in the International market. You need to keep the right environment in place to ensure that people do not walk away. People walk away when they are not happy.

Thus, you need a good HR to address these issues and this will help UAE companies to succeed in the long term at International level.
worldguy
Dubai forums Addict

May 06, 2009
but this is not the case, I mean there will always be this company that will just simply pay more, now am I suppose to keep raising salaries accordingly ? if so ,there will be no place for small businesses,right ?
uaekid
Dubai Master of Thread Hijackers

May 06, 2009
uaekid wrote:I agree that sponsorship is not necessary ! it created problems for both the expats and the locals and both parties have abused its terms.

but not in all cases ! ex :if I own a company and I spent money training my employees for years ,how could he just walk a way ? what did I get out of training him/her ? even Gov establishments have a problems with such thing from locals whom they train and spend hill of money and walk away all of a sudden and they have to hire another one ,go over his training process and so on. and when this accrue in a big scale then it becomes an issue. and many small issues that involve my employees walking away from my company.

but if this law only apply's win the employee contracts originally ends then it's fine.

ps. this is as a business owner perspective nothing more

There is an infinite number of SMEs (Small Business Enterprises) in the UAE and they all work around the sponsorship system. It's not a secret that many Emiratis sponsor hundreds of businesses for a minor annual fee and the expat investor practically owns the whole thing.

To dictate that any LLC must be 51% owned by an Emirati prevents many strategic industries from operating in the UAE. You'll never have a Toyota made/assembled in the UAE for example.

The economical downturn should teach you that no one is immune from bankruptcy and you should move your economy to the next level. Attract more qualified human resources, and more foreign investors. This is the only way to survive in my book...

Another important issue. And I'm talking from an Employer perspective: It takes too much time for most small/medium Employers to hire qualified people. Especially from abroad. And that accumulated delay is simply a loss to the economy. And again, people work around sponsorship system.

It makes more sense to decouple the residency from Employment. It could be more or less like a work permit valid for some time and renewable if employed. Which leaves a window for people who lost their jobs to regain control instead of leaving their cars behind...
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

May 07, 2009
uaekid wrote:but this is not the case, I mean there will always be this company that will just simply pay more, now am I suppose to keep raising salaries accordingly ? if so ,there will be no place for small businesses,right ?

There is always a ceiling kid and the prevailing wage rates. You may be able to change jobs once or twice but soon nobody wants to hire a hopper. You won't understand this concept, its too foreign and radical for you guys,
K-Dog
Dubai Expat Helper

May 07, 2009
I agree with worldguy. You can't stop people from moving job to job, but you can provide incentives for them to stay. Some firms have excellent retention programmes.
ishaq
Dubai Expat Wannabe

May 08, 2009
K-Dog wrote:
uaekid wrote:but this is not the case, I mean there will always be this company that will just simply pay more, now am I suppose to keep raising salaries accordingly ? if so ,there will be no place for small businesses,right ?

There is always a ceiling kid and the prevailing wage rates. You may be able to change jobs once or twice but soon nobody wants to hire a hopper. You won't understand this concept, its too foreign and radical for you guys,

That's a good point. But instead of thinking of sorting and regulating the relation between the Employee and the Employer. Force people to stay against their will. That's the easy sol.

I've read this phrase on someone's T-Shirt: "I pretend to work, and they pretend to pay me"
bedro
Dubai forums Addict

May 08, 2009
wise decision finally!!!
Mindnu
Dubai Forums Frequenter

May 08, 2009
Bahrain made good decision something similar should happen here also
Princeee
Dubai Forum Guest

May 09, 2009
Kid, this is what happens in the 'real' world though! Never forget happy employees are productive employees. People will always be searching for better opportunites/ways to work their way up the ladder, it' just the way it goes.

You really have to get out of this way of thinking. It's a risk every company/employer takes everywhere in the world and just the way it works.

The only thing you can really do is put a non-competitive clause in a contract for a certain period of time should that person leave. And yes there should be yearly pay adjustments inline with current market rates, increases, living costs etc.

er this is how you run a business.
Chocoholic
Miss DubaiForums 2005

May 11, 2009
http://www.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/bahrain/10311913.html

....So it was all too good to be true......
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

May 11, 2009
After reading the article, it doesn't seem like the law isn't actually going to be ratified, just that the Chamber of Commerce doesn't agree with it. I don't know who or what this organization represents but I get the impression that they look after business interests so I could understand why they may wish to object.

That being said, it seems that all their furious hand-waving is overblown and not entirely grounded in reality. For one thing, businesses are still free to not hire people that they feel are simply hopping from job to job. Here where I work, we specifically avoid people who have had five or more jobs in the span of five years unless they can give sufficiently good reasons for doing so.
gamercowboy
Dubai forums Addict

May 12, 2009
Chamber of Commerce representing corporates is powerful. If they have raised an objection, seems very unlikely it may apss through. Depends how powerful and influential the labor minister is.

Although - it seems more like a one sided thing - doesnt it - you have the chambers of commerce representing corporates - and what do you have representing the workers?

And yes agreed - upto the company to choose who they want to hire. did you know that many companies - even here in the UAE - have a "gentlemen's agreement" - on not hiring each other's employees. The moment there you send a job application to a competitor, their HR inform your HR.
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat