4th Of July

Topic locked
4th of july Jul 04, 2012
whats up with no american celebration today

calamitysam
Dubai Forum Guest

Re: 4th of july Jul 04, 2012
calamitysam wrote:whats up with no american celebration today

I imagine there some celebrating in America.
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

Re: 4th Of July Jul 04, 2012
Happy 4th of July :)
Nucleus
Dubai Forums Veteran

thank you for your generous insight into this matter. does anyone who not named ambassador know where in dubai, is a good place to go tonight? it only took me a a week or so to realize that americans are population minorities here but only three hours to realize americans are high iq minorities.

Ambassador ,
calamitysam
Dubai Forum Guest

Great way to step into a forum Sam. :roll:
desertdudeshj
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Re: 4th Of July Jul 05, 2012
calamitysam wrote:thank you for your generous insight into this matter. does anyone who not named ambassador know where in dubai, is a good place to go tonight? it only took me a a week or so to realize that americans are population minorities here but only three hours to realize americans are high iq minorities.

Ambassador ,

Can you say that again..sssssssss........llllllllllll......oooooo......wwwww.....lllllll........yyyyyy....

Sorry but I am not that swift...
Ambassador
Dubai chat master

calamitysam wrote:thank you for your generous insight into this matter. does anyone who not named ambassador know where in dubai, is a good place to go tonight? it only took me a a week or so to realize that americans are population minorities here but only three hours to realize americans are high iq minorities.

Let me help you out sam. I don't think you did a proper research or you have not been in Dubai long enough to know better.

The majority of the "American" population in Dubai are hypenated Americans. XXXX-Americans or the offspring of hypenated Americans. These hypenated Americans tend to revert back to their origins when they leave the US and gravitate to communities that consist of people from their country of origin, as well as gravitate and celebrate holidays that are only celebrated in their country of origin. The offspring of hypenated Americans tend to carry on the tradition of their parents, which would include celebrating the holidays from their parents place of birth.

In America, Americans don't celebrate Dawali, but for Indian-Americans it's a day to celebrate in Dubai. In America it would probably be a gathering at someone's home, not a full out celebration in parks across the US throwing paint. I'm sure there are gatherings in the US by hypenated Indians and their offspring to celebrate Dawali, but it's not exactly a national holiday in the US, is it? In the US we don't "celebrate" holidays that originate from other countries, otherwise every day would be a celebration. Keep in mind most hypenated Americans don't know the background of July 4th and what it represents in American history.

A British example would be Guy Fawkes Day. Brits celebrate Guy Fawkes day here in Dubai, but rarely would you find a hypenated Brit joining in because more than likely they are part of a community that holds onto the traditions/customs of their country of origin. Canadians celebrate Canada Day in Dubai, and again more than likely you won't find hypenated Canadians amongst them. Now, you may wonder just how do (unhypenated/generational) Americans, Brits and Canadians celebrate those holidays in Dubai. Well, simply put, they generally gather together and have BBQs. Years back, clearly you weren't in Dubai, there would be gatherings where there were fireworks and beach gatherings celebrating July 4th and Guy Fawkes day, but due to the tight control of fireworks in Dubai, those types of celebrations have stopped.

For many hypenated Americans, as well as hypenated Brits and hypenated Canadians, it's about the passport, not loyalty to the US, the UK or Canada. It takes a few generations of hypenated Americans/Brits/Canadians to latch on to customs/traditions of the country they live in.

Are you American? I hope I have upped your IQ by a point or two with this information, but I'm sure not enough to take you out of the majority.
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

pappidopoulos ,

Duly noted. Is that you Drew??? :D
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat