Driver Beware - July 15

Topic locked
Driver Beware - July 15 Jul 08, 2009
Received this earlier today. Interesting.

Hidden speed cameras to launch in Dubai on July 15

SPEED CRACKDOWN: Hidden speed cameras will be introduced on Dubai roads from July 15.

Hidden speed radars will be set up in Dubai in the latest initiative to catch "arrogant" motorists, it was reported on Monday.

The cameras will soon hang from trees, electrical poles or even bridges, capturing speeding drivers, without the flash of a camera bulb to alert.

Fifteen of the radars, which can detect and shoot speeding cars from 150 metres away, are being tested before being rolled out from July 15, Brigadier Mohammed Saif Al Zafin, director of General Department of Traffic, said in comm ents published by Khaleej Times.

“Motorists must oblige with the specified speed limit on Dubai’s internal roads and highways or they will be nabbed by gun radars which would help police catch the ‘arrogant’ drivers who don’t comply with the speed limits,” Al Zafin told the paper.

“The gun radars will be available anywhere, either in police patrols, trees, near electricity poles at bridges or in the middle of the road,” he added

Al Zafin said many motorists have been caught already but action won’t be taken against motorists caught on the radars during the trials.

From July 15, anyone who is caught will face fines of up to AED2,000 and eight black points with motorists having their licence suspended if they pick up a total 24 points for speeding.

The radars will also be distributed in residential areas with specific areas identified as in need of monitoring, the paper reported.

Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 08, 2009
About Time. It all boils down to enforcement though!
Misery Called Life
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 09, 2009
good thing i just got myself a radar detector from good old england. god save england and the queen yay :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 09, 2009
rudeboy wrote:good thing i just got myself a radar detector from good old england. god save england and the queen yay :D

A collegue told me the penalties for having one of these is quite severe and that if the police see you slowing down rapidly before a radar they will pull you over and search for one.

Be careful.
FTD
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 09, 2009
radars hanging from trees? Don't these things have to be stable and fixed for accuracy?!
Ruggedblond
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 09, 2009
^ Yes, but this is dubai. Stable and accuracy is not part of the "way of the Dubai".
dresden
Dubai chat master

Jul 09, 2009
im sure after quiet few weeks they wil apply it here inabudhabi..

But i was wondering as they r one country y they dont have a descion for one.. i mean this is always happeneing,, first dubai apply the policy then after months or more abu dhabi start 2 think of it and do the same and this how it goes..

still there r more rules and policies and penalties will show up.
silent
Dubai Forums Frequenter

Re: Driver Beware - July 15 Jul 09, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:without the flash of a camera bulb to alert.

i'm sure it won't work at night, dusk, dawn where the light is minimum.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jul 11, 2009
I just do not speed anymore, cruise control is my baby.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 11, 2009
FTD wrote:
rudeboy wrote:good thing i just got myself a radar detector from good old england. god save england and the queen yay :D

A collegue told me the penalties for having one of these is quite severe and that if the police see you slowing down rapidly before a radar they will pull you over and search for one.

Be careful.

FTD its common sense, if a person sees a camera or a radar he will slow down no matter if there is a detector is his car or not :D

yes they can only stop you and then search but i guess there are always places to hide it in your car :D but i havent seen dubai police do a stop and search for a while. they only do that in shj or ajman for ppl bringing alchol in their car or for the tints. in dubai they normally stop you if there has been a hit and run in the area or some big crime committed. otherwise they got too much on their plate to stop 100 ppl to find one or 2 radar detectors in your car.

its banned in parts of europe but ppl still have it.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 11, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
FTD wrote:

Be careful.

FTD its common sense, if a person sees a camera or a radar he will slow down no matter if there is a detector is his car or not :D

yes they can only stop you and then search but i guess there are always places to hide it in your car :D but i havent seen dubai police do a stop and search for a while. they only do that in shj or ajman for ppl bringing alchol in their car or for the tints. in dubai they normally stop you if there has been a hit and run in the area or some big crime committed. otherwise they got too much on their plate to stop 100 ppl to find one or 2 radar detectors in your car.

We should all consider obeying the law, that way Dubai will be a much safer place to live and drive.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 11, 2009
sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
FTD wrote:

Be careful.

We should all consider obeying the law, that way Dubai will be a much safer place to live and drive.

yeh if you want to drive slow move into the right lanes please and not to take the law into your own hands and shove the middle finger at the guy behind u :D
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 11, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
FTD wrote:

Be careful.

yeh if you want to drive slow move into the right lanes please and not to take the law into your own hands and shove the middle finger at the guy behind u :D

:wink:
RobbyG
UAE, Dubai Forums Lord of the posts

Jul 11, 2009
rudeboy wrote:
sage & onion wrote:
rudeboy wrote:
FTD wrote:

Be careful.

I agree with you, lane discipline is a must and I would also note that I follow it, my middle finger does not get used in this manner.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 11, 2009
Did anyone catch the article last week about why people drive the way they do in Dubai? Basically it addressed the way people drive in their other countries and how those driving styles are transferred to Dubai roads. Funny thing was, they didn't talk about the way locals drive. :roll:
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 11, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Did anyone catch the article last week about why people drive the way they do in Dubai? Basically it addressed the way people drive in their other countries and how those driving styles are transferred to Dubai roads. Funny thing was, they didn't talk about the way locals drive. :roll:

I don't consider the local population to be a particular problem in this regard.
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jul 11, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Did anyone catch the article last week about why people drive the way they do in Dubai? Basically it addressed the way people drive in their other countries and how those driving styles are transferred to Dubai roads. Funny thing was, they didn't talk about the way locals drive. :roll:

probably cos everyone is in a hurry :D.

i luv it when ppl try to take short cuts from the hard shoulder and ppl try to stop them from coming back in. lol. bloody hell just let them in and get on with it, they wont go that far cos there is always gonna be traffic ahead of them :D

when the offices close up ppl drive like i dont know, like they found out that their wife is having an affair and they want to get home as quick as possible to catch her out :D

sheesh. and the guys who drive them TWIN-CAM vans should never be allowed in the front lanes. those vans are FAST and most of the accidents are caused by those vans.
rudeboy
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jul 11, 2009
I just laugh it all off.
Go ahead and pass me, shove a few drivers off the road. I'll still end up being right behind you at the next traffic light. The fact that people will drive so recklessly and offensively just to get 1 space ahead of someone is just downright pathetic.
Hulahula
Dubai Forums Talker

Jul 12, 2009
sage & onion wrote:

I don't consider the local population to be a particular problem in this regard.

Yup, tell that to the presumably local (given the stickers), drived Maxima last night who went from the 1st to the 4th lane (passing inches of my car) at around 180 kph.........

Or to the 2 who were racing last in the 1st and 4th lanes from Dubai to Abu Dhabi,,,,,they whizzed past me (and I was doing 140), and started using the hard shoulder beause of trucks in the 1st lane....
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 12, 2009
Hulahula wrote:I just laugh it all off.
Go ahead and pass me, shove a few drivers off the road. I'll still end up being right behind you at the next traffic light. The fact that people will drive so recklessly and offensively just to get 1 space ahead of someone is just downright pathetic.

Good point. I notice this everytime!!! In fact sometimes they still end up behind you.......
michaeldubai
Dubai forums Addict

Jul 13, 2009
BlackburnRovers wrote:
Or to the 2 who were racing last in the 1st and 4th lanes from Dubai to Abu Dhabi,,,,,they whizzed past me (and I was doing 140), and started using the hard shoulder beause of trucks in the 1st lane....

On what roads the speed limit is 140??
janathar
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 13, 2009
The speed limit within Abu Dhabi borders si 120, however radars flash at 160, and police patrols sometimes stop cars goign over 160...
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 13, 2009
So the legal speed limit on any road within UAE is not more than 120 regardless of at what speed the radars flash!!! Then why do we ignore that limit and over speed ? Because we know that the radars won't catch up to 140 or 160!
janathar
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 13, 2009
So whats your point ?
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 13, 2009
Why we rave and rant about people who over speed but do the same
janathar
Dubai Forums Member

Jul 13, 2009
There is a difference between driving from DXB to AUH at 140 kph, indicatiing when changing lanes, and not tailgating, and in driving at 180 kph, tailgating others, and swerving across 3 lanes without indication.

One is overspeeding, but relatively harmless, the other is much more dangerous

Yaris/Sunny drivers wouldnt kow the difference though !
BlackburnRovers
Dubai Expat Helper

Re: Driver Beware - July 15 Jul 14, 2009
Bora Bora wrote:Received this earlier today. Interesting.

SPEED CRACKDOWN: Hidden speed cameras will be introduced on Dubai roads from July 15.

Hidden speed radars will be set up in Dubai in the latest initiative to catch "arrogant" motorists, it was reported on Monday.

The cameras will soon hang from trees, electrical poles or even bridges, capturing speeding drivers, without the flash of a camera bulb to alert.

Fifteen of the radars, which can detect and shoot speeding cars from 150 metres away, are being tested before being rolled out from July 15, Brigadier Mohammed Saif Al Zafin, director of General Department of Traffic, said in comm ents published by Khaleej Times.

“Motorists must oblige with the specified speed limit on Dubai’s internal roads and highways or they will be nabbed by gun radars which would help police catch the ‘arrogant’ drivers who don’t comply with the speed limits,” Al Zafin told the paper.

“The gun radars will be available anywhere, either in police patrols, trees, near electricity poles at bridges or in the middle of the road,” he added

Al Zafin said many motorists have been caught already but action won’t be taken against motorists caught on the radars during the trials.

From July 15, anyone who is caught will face fines of up to AED2,000 and eight black points with motorists having their licence suspended if they pick up a total 24 points for speeding.

The radars will also be distributed in residential areas with specific areas identified as in need of monitoring, the paper reported.

From where you got this info?
It means no use to remember carmeras at shiekh zayed road
Already radars are killing me :evil:
wishmaster
Dubai Forums Talker

Re: Driver Beware - July 15 Jul 14, 2009
wishmaster wrote:
Bora Bora wrote:Received this earlier today. Interesting.

From where you got this info?
It means no use to remember carmeras at shiekh zayed road
Already radars are killing me :evil:

I made it up, OK?
Bora Bora
Dubai OverLord

Jul 14, 2009
Come on guys it's ok to contribute to the govt budget. keep speeding up.
Metaphor79
Dubai Expat Helper

Jul 16, 2009
I think now i should burn my car
wishmaster
Dubai Forums Talker

posting in Dubai General ChatForum Rules

Return to Dubai General Chat