Beware Of HSBC - Check Your Money Twice...

Topic locked
Beware of HSBC - check your money twice... Aug 13, 2007
I noticed two months ago that money has been disappearing from my account, a few fils at a time. I got alarmed and wanted to see how long this had been going on! Since they never sent me a paper statement of account i contacted them for old statements. When i called them, they said "oh, because you have registered for e-statements".

OK... so i check the e-statements. Suprise! only up to november 2006. the previous 10 months are missing and guess what? they want 1300 dhs for my old statements although they never sent me any in the past!! unbelievable. And even though it is a person's right to have records of their bank statements, they just shrugged and said, "well pay up then". there is one word for that behaviour: Pirates.

Although it is clear as water that money just "goes", they keep denying it and won't provide me with my older statements.

Several other people have similar issues with HSBC so be VERY CAREFUL with your money. Also, if you are doing international transactions, they bill you twice and say nothing about it unless you tell them!

Frat. K
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 13, 2007
cu
M!
Dubai forums Addict

Aug 13, 2007
Write a letter to the papers. That always gets their attention.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Aug 13, 2007
gtmash wrote:Write a letter to the papers. That always gets their attention.

Indeed, it is what I am doing now. Cheers.
Frat. K
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 13, 2007
Frat. K wrote:

Before you do that make sure that when you signed up for the e-statements there was no language about you having to pay for paper copies of statements in the future. If it says that and you agreed then you'll have to pay. Morever, there will probably be language in the agreement that you should report any discrepencies no later than a number of days (typically 30). Banks have to determine their exposure and can't have "discrepancies" going on for ever.

If all of the above is in the agreement and you write a letter to the papers stating the same as your post then you might open yourself up to a libel claim by the bank.

By the way I don't work for banks. And coincidenlty an HSBC ATM charged me 700 dhs although the paper receipt stated ("declined"). Pain in the ar$e as I had to go to my bank and make a claimm (still waiting to see what happens - this occured about a week ago). They'll sort it out computers are sophisticated enought and there are less and less thieves during that sort of thing.

If you do not have the stetements what's the proof that money is missing?
Concord
Dubai Forums Zealot

Aug 13, 2007
Concord wrote:
Before you do that make sure that when you signed up for the e-statements there was no language about you having to pay for paper copies of statements in the future. If it says that and you agreed then you'll have to pay. Morever, there will probably be language in the agreement that you should report any discrepencies no later than a number of days (typically 30). Banks have to determine their exposure and can't have "discrepancies" going on for ever.

thanks for your comment. Actually I signed up for the e-statement as soon as I opened the account. But they kept a record only up to Nov 2006 (all of it since the very beginning should be there - there is no disclaimer of how long the statements remain online). The thing is that when I complained they changed their story saying that I subscribed in Nov... i told them that in that case I would have the paper statements, but i never received them (and I am 100% sure coz I have their credit card statements since 2002 as well as other bank statements - i keep everything). They basically said I was a liar because according to them they sent the statements... so as you can see the story doesn't end there.

Another aspect is that you don't expect discrepancies in your bank account... does it mean that they get away with theft if you don't notice a few fils within 30 days of them stealing the cash? that doesn't sound right!

I first noticed only 2 months ago. i have a few online statements printed that show the issue but I wanted to know how long this has been going on. they could have taken quite a lot over 18 months, including some strange charges for transfers between HSBC accounts! (which should be free)

funny you mention their systems... yesterday their system was having problems and a lot of transfers were done twice! Either they don't know what they are doing or they have a serious malicious intent...
Frat. K
Dubai Forum Guest

Aug 13, 2007
why dont you just close your account there and open up in another bank, local banks do not have that kind of issues, i have an account with emirates bank for the past 4 years now and never had any trouble dealing with them..

I know changing your bank account is not an easy thing but you only do it once, right?
hamadl
Dubai Forums Talker

Aug 15, 2007
hamadl wrote:why dont you just close your account there and open up in another bank, local banks do not have that kind of issues, i have an account with emirates bank for the past 4 years now and never had any trouble dealing with them..

I know changing your bank account is not an easy thing but you only do it once, right?

indeed, i whish it was that simple: gotta clear the loan first!
Frat. K
Dubai Forum Guest

Dec 03, 2007
Concord wrote:
Frat. K wrote:

If all of the above is in the agreement and you write a letter to the papers stating the same as your post then you might open yourself up to a libel claim by the bank.

By the way I don't work for banks. And coincidenlty an HSBC ATM charged me 700 dhs although the paper receipt stated ("declined"). Pain in the ar$e as I had to go to my bank and make a claimm (still waiting to see what happens - this occured about a week ago). They'll sort it out computers are sophisticated enought and there are less and less thieves during that sort of thing.

If you do not have the stetements what's the proof that money is missing?

It happened to my brother, unfortunately his receipt read Money dispensed and nothing came. he is been complaining for the last 3 months. ATM machine was HSBC, but he was using debit card for someother bank.
romaniadxb
Dubai Forum Guest

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list