Bad Service From Gulf Air And Al Futtaim Travels

Topic locked
Bad service from Gulf Air and Al Futtaim Travels Jan 18, 2007
One month earlier (November), we bought (not only booked) 3 tickets (each 1900 AED return) for last end of year vacation back to my home country (Indonesia) through Al Futtaim travels (head office) using Gulf Air. The departure schedule printed was 23:25.

At the day of departure (Thu, 21/12/06), DXB airport was really really full of people. I guessed everybody were leaving for vacation at the same time. We couldn't even get into the gate and checked-in.

We reached the check-in counter at 22:15. Technically we should still be able to check in (>60 minutes from departure). But then the Gulf Air check-in counter staff said that the counter is closed and we can't fly. They said that the departure time had been changed to 23:10 !!! For this, the counter was already closed (<60 minutes). Requested to the supervisor to proceed as we were only late for 5 minutes (because of the change) and we believe we could get onboard on time (had 55 mins), but they couldn't approve it.

Neither Gulf Air or Al Futtaim Travels informed me about the change. Eventhough they have our home phone number, mobile number, and email (I booked online). This is the first complain!!!

Immediately called Al Futtaim but noone picked the call (I understand it was past the office hour). Then called Gulf Air call center to reschedule the departure date to next day. They did. But this was just a backup as we needed to fly anyway immediately (we had connecting domestic flight in our home country).

Immediately we ran to ticketing office to purchase another tickets from another airlines. Luckily we could get Yemenia Air which departs in 2.5 hours. We flew back to home country on time and didn't miss the domestic connecting flight.

Later we complained to Al Futtaim Travels about the change. They didn't accept the blame as all they said was that they were not aware of the change and were not told by Gulf Air. Really??? I couldn't believe it. I thought both are big and reputable companies which should communicate each other.

The bad service continued.

Few days before returning to Dubai, we checked Gulf Air office in Jakarta just to reconfirm. They said our full tickets (including ) were automatically cancelled by system due to "no-show" (non-used departure tickets from Dubai).

We complain again to Al Futtaim Travels and they again didn't accept the blame, saying that it is from the airlines itself and a standard procedure in any airlines (to cancel automatically non-used tickets).

As an ordinary customer, how do I know anything about this kind of airlines regulation. Why neither Gulf Air or Al Futtaim Travels not informing us again? This is second complain !!!

Asked Al Futtaim Travel to rebook and reuse the ticket. They said they couldn't do it. When we ask to rebook/repurchase another tickets, they said the seat was full. But then when we proposed to refund the unused tickets, they were OK and suddenly the seat was there!

They suggest for refund (fee 200 AED per ticket, for total of 1200 AED) and repurchase new one way ticket to Dubai which cost each 1800 AED !!! (It must be kidding, we purchased from them 1900 AED for return tickets). Means we need to bear 600-700 AED more (new tickets purchase - refunded fare - refund fee). This was totally a rip off !!!

Ignored their offer, we went to Gulf Air office directly in Jakarta. They helped a lot. They put their effort to get us the seat (the class was full) and reuse the return ticket, which Al Futtaim Travels could not do it earlier.

I praise the Gulf Air office staff in Jakarta, and blame Gulf Air in Dubai and Al Futtaim Travels for such bad service.

xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 18, 2007
Ouch, my sympathies
sage & onion
Dubai Shadow Wolf

Jan 18, 2007
Gulf Air has a reputation of bad service and old planes. Most of their airplanes are old and shaking even if the weather is fine.

Don't complain over the counter, things can't be done the right away. They'll just ignore you and would come up with more excuses. Complain straight to the big bosses of the ticketing and customer service department (or whatever department in charge of this) and you'll see the difference.

Do the same for Al Futtaim Travels. Tell them you are just one of the unsatisfied customer. If they have website you may lodge your complain there.
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 18, 2007
Sage, thanks.

Asc_26, we had not many options as we always choose airlines giving the most efficient schedule (e.g. overnight flights/connecting) to maximize our tight planned vacation days, and second off course would be the lesser fare. It was either Gulf Air or Yemenia Air.

I was thinking to submit my complain also through newspaper such as 7days, but thought that perhaps it is too long story, isn't it?

There's that guy's email in Al Futtaim Travels website, he must be the boss of reservation/ticketing. Probably will send him as well.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 19, 2007
XTY, You have to do it otherwise they'll never know that their service is really bad. If they want to improve they should welcome complains from customers. :wink:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 19, 2007
thats why you should always reconfirm your flight...
bushra21
Dubai Forums Zealot

Jan 19, 2007
asc_26 wrote:XTY, You have to do it otherwise they'll never know that their service is really bad. If they want to improve they should welcome complains from customers. :wink:

I have sent email to that guy in Al Futtaim Travels. No reply so far.
I have sent also to 7days, hopefully it's eligible and not too long to be published.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 20, 2007
I'll forward to the article in 7 days. Why not gulfnews as well? :lol:
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 20, 2007
bad service?

AS USUAL..............
guest999

Jan 21, 2007
asc_26 wrote:I'll forward to the article in 7 days. Why not gulfnews as well? :lol:

I'm waiting mine to be published. I'm sure mine is more imporant than today's published article about someone looking for hair removal product :p

Gulf News? Not sure they will publish. 7days is more like a place for "free speech" ;)
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 23, 2007
xty wrote:
asc_26 wrote:I'll forward to the article in 7 days. Why not gulfnews as well? :lol:

I'm waiting mine to be published. I'm sure mine is more imporant than today's published article about someone looking for hair removal product :p

Gulf News? Not sure they will publish. 7days is more like a place for "free speech" ;)

Haven't you seen the latest letters? 7days edits out the company names (to avoid lawsuits and losing ad money), so it seems like people are whining about anonymous companies.
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 23, 2007
gtmash wrote:Haven't you seen the latest letters? 7days edits out the company names (to avoid lawsuits and losing ad money), so it seems like people are whining about anonymous companies.

Just now I see only letters-to-editor up to 21/01/07, no updates except comments. I don't see mine being published, yet. Are you guys seeing the same thing? Have cleared my browser's cache but still the same.
xty
Dubai Forums Veteran

Jan 25, 2007
xty wrote:Just now I see only letters-to-editor up to 21/01/07, no updates except comments. I don't see mine being published, yet. Are you guys seeing the same thing?

Yes
gtmash
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 26, 2007
Maybe they won't publish your letter or maybe the editor or staff are still confirming those things with the concern companies. :P
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 30, 2007
asc_26 wrote:Gulf Air has a reputation of bad service and old planes. Most of their airplanes are old and shaking even if the weather is fine.

Sorry that is b***s***.
Gulf Air operates 10 A320-200, 6 Airbus 330-200, 9 Airbus 340-300 and three Boeing 767-300ER. These aircraft are not avilable long enough to be old and shaky.

And yes, it is true that the return flight is being cancelled if you don't show up on the first leg.
In the European Union there just was a court ruling that this procedure is illegal, but anywhere else in the world this is still standard - unfortunately.

Cheers,
Ben
bschmidt
Dubai Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2007
bschmidt wrote:Sorry that is b***s***.
Gulf Air operates 10 A320-200, 6 Airbus 330-200, 9 Airbus 340-300 and three Boeing 767-300ER. These aircraft are not avilable long enough to be old and shaky.

I am talking as one of their unsatisfied customers. And yes, most of their planes are still old. It is only recently they upgraded their planes for business expansion particularly planes going to europe.

In other routes, Rate Service: POOR!
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

Jan 30, 2007
bscmidt, FYI. Don't bullsh..tng me. You deserve it.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/gulf.htm
asc_26
Dubai forums GURU

posting in Dubai Black listForum Rules

Return to Dubai Black list